Pat Bonham and family

Hmmm, that article does say 'ashes scattered' which would support Miss HD's post.

I think it's just great that the Zep fans are so respectful of the site and the privacy of his family. It is like a pilgrimage to travel there and rest peacefully at his memorial (speaking theoretically since I've never been lucky enough to make that trip)

Thanks again for posting that article...very touching read...

Hmmm, that article does say 'ashes scattered' which would support Miss HD's post.

FWIW, this is what the article says:

Almost every day fans of Led Zeppelin make the peaceful journey to the pristeen parish churchyard at Rushock where drummer John Bonham's ashes are scattered.

FWIW, this is what the article says:

Almost every day fans of Led Zeppelin make the peaceful journey to the pristeen parish churchyard at Rushock where drummer John Bonham's ashes are scattered.

Sorry SAJ, I'm kinda missing your point. What did I miss? I misquoted by forgetting the 'are'?

Didn't mean to do that, it just seems that at least one article supports the scattered and not interred theory.

Hell, all I know is I don't know!

Sorry SAJ, I'm kinda missing your point. What did I miss? I misquoted by forgetting the 'are'?

Didn't mean to do that, it just seems that at least one article supports the scattered and not interred theory.

Hell, all I know is I don't know!

The article says his ashes were scattered there. Miss HD posted the stone is merely a memorial and that he wasn't laid to rest there. She may have been making the point his remains were cremated, which is true, and my point is they were "scattered" (interred) at the site of the headstone.

Edited by SteveAJones

Scattered and interred mean two very different things, however.

As do memorial and gravestone but I wasn't looking to argue semantics here. Now that we are...look at the gravestone. It isn't a public memorial as such, it marks his grave.

Edited by SteveAJones

As do memorial and gravestone but I wasn't looking to argue semantics here. Now that we are...look at the gravestone. It isn't a public memorial as such, it marks his grave.

Now my curiosity is piqued! The stone reads:

"Cherished memories of a loving husband and father, John Henry Bonham Who died Sept. 25th 1980. He will always be remembered in our hearts, Goodnight my Love, God Bless."

which to me sounds more like a memorial than a headstone.

Also scattered means thrust about as in the parsish churchyard at Rushock. If the ashes were interred they would 'be placed in a grave' Scattered doesn't mean placed. And a headstone is placed over or near a site of 'burial'

I guess this is open to interpretation but that's the way I've interpreted it.... :huh:

Pass the tissues again please. My puppy is a constant joyful reminder of the joy Bonzo brought to this earth...and the joy he still spreads all these years later...

I just brought up the point because you said "scattered (interred)" as if they were synonymous.

I have to admit it sounds more like a memorial to me as well. But whatever the deal is--it's incredibly touching.

I just brought up the point because you said "scattered (interred)" as if they were synonymous.

I have to admit it sounds more like a memorial to me as well. But whatever the deal is--it's incredibly touching.

If they were scattered (the article alone is hardly authoritative) I happen to believe

they would have been scattered into the gravesite, thus resulting in an internment.

If the stone is merely a memorial, why leave so much empty space? Why the small

floral display holder over the plot? Again, I believe both mark the burial spot of his

remains, and the stone is designed to include entries for his wife and children when

the time comes. Simply stated, it's a family burial plot, IMHO. I could be wrong, but

if so it's news to me.

• 5 years later...

Here are some pics of Old Hyde Farm as it is today. You can see the long road that John and Pat ran up in TSRTS now lined with thirty foot high trees. Sheep and cows are milling about on the property. It still looks very much like a working farm. Testament to JB's unassuming nature. Note, we were very respectful. Snapped some shots and were on our way.

Also, some pics of Bonham's headstone and headstone artifacts. I was awestruck at the surreal quality of the little town and churchyard, like something out of Hansel and Gretel. The tombstones that litter the churchyard are hundreds of years old and found them just as interesting to observe. I also went inside the Rushock church. Seeing how I always saw this amazing building in the background of all of those grave pics throughout the years and wondered what it looked like in there.

Inside, I was shocked to find a beautiful pipe organ, and, low and behind, there was the book Pat signed on the 25th anniversary of John's death! It's visible in one of the photos. It was hard to imagine that little church as the epicenter of rock 'n roll on the day of his service there. Assuming that's where they held his service. That tiny place packed with likes of Page, Plant, Jonesy, possibly members of the Stones, Beatles and other bands.

One other interesting thing, there was also a big angry looking red bull (pictured) that stood there staring at us like we were trespassing. Something about him reminded me of Bonham. The whole day there was surreal and one I'll never forget.

post-20438-0-69661400-1384096485_thumb.j

post-20438-0-58934900-1384096489_thumb.j

post-20438-0-01997300-1384096499_thumb.j

post-20438-0-91474600-1384096505_thumb.j

post-20438-0-79244700-1384096524_thumb.j

post-20438-0-62899400-1384096557_thumb.j

post-20438-0-27852200-1384096565_thumb.j

post-20438-0-46910600-1384096569_thumb.j

post-20438-0-31089700-1384096579_thumb.j

post-20438-0-06397200-1384096643_thumb.j

post-20438-0-26996600-1384096871_thumb.j

post-20438-0-02762900-1384096881_thumb.j

post-20438-0-41123000-1384096898_thumb.j

post-20438-0-90951700-1384096907_thumb.j

post-20438-0-44289500-1384096927_thumb.j

Atonypro,

Thanks for putting your excellent photographs on here. The quality is first class and they are well composed. The top left hand one does indeed bring back the memory of John and Pat in TSRTS. The photo of all the drumsticks gathered at the back of the headstone is truly touching.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks STEVEAJONES. Either he really was creamated or the family said he was and he was buried somewhere in a private grave?

You may recall Jason said he placed a set of his drumsticks from the 2007 reunion concert at the stone in the churchyard and then expressed to John his gratitude for having been the father he was to him. Personally, I can't imagine Jason doing so there if it wasn't a final resting place.

• 2 weeks later...

This was on facebook from Deborah,Bonzo's sister,a pic of her and her mom,love what Robert called her

Me and my beautiful Mom. This was taken not long before she passed on. It's her birthday today. She truly was the greatest woman I've ever had the pleasure to know - I love and miss her so very much, but here's to you Mom on your day.. As Robert used to call you, you really are "The Queen of the Hop". All my love for ever and always, Deborah xxx