"Feeling" the music

Bustle In My Hedgerow

im only 16 and i know how you feel. that kind of thing is lost on my generation.

Oh please, I'm 18 and I've been 'feeling it' properly since I was 12, although I always took a great delight in good music before. I know plenty of people my age who are the same.

Oh please, I'm 18 and I've been 'feeling it' properly since I was 12, although I always took a great delight in good music before. I know plenty of people my age who are the same.

As opposed to 'feeling it' improperly? :D That's much more fun, you know.

TALKING ABOUT SHOWING THE SONG REMAINS THE SAME TO PEOPLE

I have a friend where I go to college at who is as big into rap as I am rock. We are always fighting (jokingly) about which is better. One night I made him watch TSRTS. During the bow solo on Dazed and Confused I herad him get up, go to the window, and start puking. I told him I was sorry, I forgot that he had no experience with rock music and to just get thrown into Led Zeppelin was to much for him to handle and his body reacted (That is what I tell him lol, it might have been the heavy toking before hand that left him dazed and confused lol) It was hillarious, we both get good laughs about it still. We have a class together this January and get this, Its called rock, rap, revolution where we study the way music effects society. It a winter term class during the month of January and its the only class I have for that month and its only 2 hours a day 5 days a week. Needless to say im really exicted for it.

I only feel the music, I can't tell which key they are in or which cord that is, I don't know the time signature or what the lyrics are or what they mean, I just react. That's why I'm so obsessed with live music.

I raised my kids on "good music", Beatles, Zep, Stones, Hendrix, Ray Charles, Hank Williams, Howlin' Wolf, Johnny Cash, Marvin Gaye, etc., etc.

Once, when my oldest daughter was about 7 years old, we were in an elevator and some horrible schmaltzy music came on and she looked at me and said "This is really bad music." And I said "Yeah" then she says "There are really only two kinds of music, good music and bad music" and I said "Yeah".

I knew right then and there I'd raised her right.

Edited for the usual spelling errors (hang head in shame)

During the bow solo on Dazed and Confused I herad him get up, go to the window, and start puking.

Wow - my old friend "Dan the man" Schlitt had the same reaction during this part, only he never made it to the window. We were teenagers, drunk on Boones Farm wine, and he ruined my beanbag chair and rug...

Then would you care to introduce me? I plenty of people who like music, and say they "loooove" based on the fact they enjoy having earbuds in their ears. I know others who sincerely love it a lot, but not anybody that feels as much as i do.

Sorry,.. don't mean to start random musing threads.. but this is something I always thought strange in my dad (a drummer, who always had a soul-deep feel for music), but somehow I've come to identify with him on this..

He would always drive us to breakfast, the movies, etc while my Mom worked on Saturdays and he'd have his radio full-blast with some kind of Beatles or Jetro Tull song and he'd always pause the song and tell my brothers and I "Ok, guys, listen to this.. you can hear a subtle change in this and this" and I'd always think "Jeez, dad, you're psycho" but now that I'm older and have an immense appreciation for music, I can understand him.

I've found that recently I just seem to gravitate towards music that have so many layers-- so many different levels of sounds-- that I enjoy just peeling them back, analyzing the subtle progressions in music so that before I realize it I can feel how a song moves from soft to a cresdendo of music so beautifully and subtly sublty arranged so that you find yourself in a trance....

... I know I sound crazy, but this is what I love about music so-fucking-much. Does anyone understand me?... Am I just a nutter?

No man, is not you, and I think we're all crazy. That feeling have another word... Passion. Passion for music, it's the same feeling that I experiment when I hear some damn good songs.

From Zepp: Stairway to Heaven, All My Love, Nobody's Fault but Mine... When I heard Nobody's fault but mine for the first time, it was amazing and aslo with In the Evening... Besides other great songs...

I was never what you would've considered a 'normal' child. By that I mean I wasn't a bad child, I just didn't do normal things for a kid, or girl, of my age.

I was 9 when I got my first HI-FI for my birthday, and it had this record player on top, and I would play and play and play the same thing over all the time - the Motown Story boxset. It may have been the way they sang or just the instruments, but I would just sit and play those songs until I almost wore the grooves out. There was just something about it that I dug. I still do.

I can't say whether I know what it means to 'feel' the music because it's been such a long time since it didn't mean a thing to me. There are days when I don't feel anything. Then there are the days where a simple harmony, chord change, etc, inspires me to write, sing. More often than not I just sit there and just let it take me where it wants to. Goosebumps go through me and I just want to crawl into the record and see them play (at least, that was where I thought they were when I was young :D ).

Archived