The crowd at the reunion

I was trying to enjoy listening to the reunion bootleg (schopes mk 41 remaster) and I just can't beleive how many lucky knuckleheads got to go to see MY favorite band and couldn't even SHUT UP AND LISTEN for three hours.

So whadda ya think? Not real fans? Just too excited by LZ?

Yeah, I was lucky to be up front for Jimmy and the Black Crowes, but usually I inevitably get seated within the annoyance range of a few who've had a few too many! :rolleyes:

I remember seeing King Crimson at the Greek a few years back. Everyone was silently grooving, but there was this one howler who wouldn't even cork it for the quiet passages. When the show ended and the house lights came up, one old-school hippy stood up, turned to him and said "I hope your throat hurts like hell in the morning!" Several hundred people turned and cheered in agreement! :lol:

Yeah, I was lucky to be up front for Jimmy and the Black Crowes, but usually I inevitably get seated within the annoyance range of a few who've had a few too many! :rolleyes:

I remember seeing King Crimson at the Greek a few years back. Everyone was silently grooving, but there was this one howler who wouldn't even cork it for the quiet passages. When the show ended and the house lights came up, one old-school hippy stood up, turned to him and said "I hope your throat hurts like hell in the morning!" Several hundred people turned and cheered in agreement! :lol:

:lol: I won't say I'm envious at having seen King Crimson ;) I remember seeing Robert Plant and Strange Sensation in 2001 and some wanker kept yelling "Stairway to Heaven" to the point everyone around him shouted, shut the f**k up. He did thankfully!

. . . which is what Robert himself told the guy to do who shouted for Stairway at the RP/AK gig.

But really--no way you were going to keep a lid on that crowd at the O2, they were just deliriously happy and excited, and the band was loud enough that I couldn't hear anything the people around me might have been saying.

. . . which is what Robert himself told the guy to do who shouted for Stairway at the RP/AK gig.

But really--no way you were going to keep a lid on that crowd at the O2, they were just deliriously happy and excited, and the band was loud enough that I couldn't hear anything the people around me might have been saying.

I'm sure a lot of the shouting was either "holy shit" and "I can't believe I'm hearing this song" etc. Which was my reaction upon watching the video clips :D

It was quite a pointed "fuck off" from Robert in Paris eh Aqua?B)

It amazes me at all gigs let alone the 02 just how many people go to have a chat whilst supposedly being there to see a band. save your money people and stayat home and let the rest of us listen to the music. Fuckwits :angry:

A woman near me at the 02 was so pissed she slept all the way trough the show and then when she did stand up she fell over the person in the row in front of her. FOOOL!! :o

I was dancing, singing, air guitaring and grooving all night last Dec. Yes there were real fans there and I think people not shutting up at a rock gig is good, let em dance sing etc !! I have been to many classical concerts where you just listen so if thats what people want then try that !

Zeppelin music makes me happy !!

I wasn't there, but after listening to, and seeing the concert, the crowd seemed listless to me. After songs like No Quarter, and TSRTS, I was expecting to hear huge roars of approval from the crowd. Instead, just a muted response from an obviously "corporate" crowd. Talk about dead, Robert at one point during the the chorus part in WLL even shouts "Is that it" to the crowd after getting no response. :blink: Then again, maybe they were in awe at what they were witnessing. I for one, had i been there, would have been bawling like a baby! :rolleyes:

I wasn't there, but after listening to, and seeing the concert, the crowd seemed listless to me. After songs like No Quarter, and TSRTS, I was expecting to hear huge roars of approval from the crowd. Instead, just a muted response from an obviously "corporate" crowd. Talk about dead, Robert at one point during the the chorus part in WLL even shouts "Is that it" to the crowd after getting no response. :blink: Then again, maybe they were in awe at what they were witnessing. I for one, had i been there, would have been bawling like a baby! :rolleyes:

You saw a few celebrities out of the thousands of people who were there, and decided this was a corporate crowd?? :o

I think the many people on this board who were there, including me, will tell you that "listless" is the last word to describe that crowd. Unbelievable!--we've got one poster complaining the crowd was too loud and should have shut up and listened to the music, another complaining they were too quiet and not responding to the band---

They were wildly enthusiastic, is what they were. I don't know about a handful of celebrities, but they were hardly typical, and I think most of them were enthusiastic, too.

What corporation do you think we all belonged to? :D

You saw a few celebrities out of the thousands of people who were there, and decided this was a corporate crowd?? :o

I think the many people on this board who were there, including me, will tell you that "listless" is the last word to describe that crowd. Unbelievable!--we've got one poster complaining the crowd was too loud and should have shut up and listened to the music, another complaining they were too quiet and not responding to the band---

They were wildly enthusiastic, is what they were. I don't know about a handful of celebrities, but they were hardly typical, and I think most of them were enthusiastic, too.

What corporation do you think we all belonged to? :D

Relax Aqua! I wasn't refering to you, or anyone on this forum who was there, as being corporate. All im saying is after listening to a very good boot of the show taken from the 20th row, the crowd that I was hearing was in fact "listless" to me. It might come down to where you were sitting, but after hearing brilliant versions of No Quarter and particulary STRTS, the response was just not there. Robert proves my point AGAIN when he has to yell out "C'mon" to the crowd after a brilliant drumming performance by Jr. That to me, is dissapointing, and unbelievable in it's own right. You shouldn't have to "will" a crowd on at a Zeppelin show like Robert had to do on two occasions! B)

No you weren't there so it is hard fro you to judge. Many of us were overwhelmed by the occasion but there was no lack of atmosphere and feeling and emotion I can tell you that. can't pick it up on the boots. You think many of us didn't bawl like babies? I had waited 28 years since my last Zep show and there was nothing listless about me that night.

My corporation was Led Zeppelin and it had many employees B)

I also think Robert's interactions with the crowd have been misread--he was teasing them.

Trust me, the response was there. If the recording picks up the band but not the crowd, that's the reason--and probably a good thing! You might want to switch boots with chef free, Stevedore. ;)

No you weren't there so it is hard fro you to judge. Many of us were overwhelmed by the occasion but there was no lack of atmosphere and feeling and emotion I can tell you that. can't pick it up on the boots. You think many of us didn't bawl like babies? I had waited 28 years since my last Zep show and there was nothing listless about me that night.

My corporation was Led Zeppelin and it had many employees B)

Amen to that brother. I wept and I danced and I shouted as did everyone around me. It was a hugely emotional night and none of that really comes over on the boots.

Listless ? Not in our corner.

I also think Robert's interactions with the crowd have been misread--he was teasing them.

Trust me, the response was there. If the recording picks up the band but not the crowd, that's the reason--and probably a good thing! You might want to switch boots with chef free, Stevedore. ;)

Good point Aqua! :beer:

I was dancing, singing, air guitaring and grooving all night last Dec. Yes there were real fans there and I think people not shutting up at a rock gig is good, let em dance sing etc !! I have been to many classical concerts where you just listen so if thats what people want then try that !

Zeppelin music makes me happy !!

Dancing, singing, air guitaring and grooving are all acceptable (even required) behaviors at any rock and roll show! I do all that stuff myself, but mindlessly chattering WHILE LED ZEPPELIN IS PLAYING??? I just don't get that.

Amen to that brother. I wept and I danced and I shouted as did everyone around me. It was a hugely emotional night and none of that really comes over on the boots.

Listless ? Not in our corner.

I was full of list like you B):D

Dancing, singing, air guitaring and grooving are all acceptable (even required) behaviors at any rock and roll show! I do all that stuff myself, but mindlessly chattering WHILE LED ZEPPELIN IS PLAYING??? I just don't get that.

Might of been chatting Zeppelin stuff <_<:)

Relax Aqua! I wasn't refering to you, or anyone on this forum who was there, as being corporate. All im saying is after listening to a very good boot of the show taken from the 20th row, the crowd that I was hearing was in fact "listless" to me. It might come down to where you were sitting, but after hearing brilliant versions of No Quarter and particulary STRTS, the response was just not there. Robert proves my point AGAIN when he has to yell out "C'mon" to the crowd after a brilliant drumming performance by Jr. That to me, is dissapointing, and unbelievable in it's own right. You shouldn't have to "will" a crowd on at a Zeppelin show like Robert had to do on two occasions! B)

Hmmmm...well I seem to remember that evening being electric, a concert like no other that I've attended (and I did see Led Zeppelin twice in the 70's as well as many others). Simply amazing.

Sorry you couldn't be there to witness it first hand yourself :D

This is from an interview with Big Mick Hughes who was one of the engineers at the O2. From FOH online.

Mick interview

So, what else? Is there anything I am missing? Is there anything you want to talk to me about that I’m failing to ask you about?

No, I think you’ve pretty much got the full story there. But, you know what was a crying shame about the gig? People were more interested in cap-turing the moment on their camera phones as opposed to enjoying it. At the end of songs, it wasn’t like the crowd went crazy or anything. They were pretty tame.

How do you have a tame crowd at a Zeppelin show?

Because they don’t want to shake the phones. Looking at the audience from behind the console, it was a sea of screens. Just a total sea of telephone screens. Really bizarre, seriously, Bill. And because the people didn’t want to shake the phones to f#@k up the video they’re recording, it was pretty tame. They all roared vocally. But the crowd were just tripods… it was strange.

Well, "they all roared vocally" doesn't seem to bear out the idea of this nonresponsive crowd.

From behind the console, he wasn't seeing the whole crowd anyway. People where I was took pics, but they weren't behaving remotely like Mr Hughes describes. Sometimes I wonder if we were all at the same gig! :lol:

(Somewhere, where I can't find it, there's a pic taken from the back of the stage, of Robert, Jimmy, and Jonesy facing back toward Jason, and behind them you can see the first 20 or so rows of the audience. And what don't you see? A total sea of telephone screens!)

(You don't see me and brspled, either, hard as I've looked. :D )

Edit:

OK, you can't see that well, but you get the general idea.

crowd.jpg

crowd2.jpg

Sometimes I wonder if we were all at the same gig! :lol:

(Somewhere, where I cant find it, theres a pic taken from the back of the stage, of Robert, Jimmy, and Jonesy facing back toward Jason, and behind them you can see the first 20 or so rows of the audience. And what dont you see? A total sea of telephone screens!)

OK, you cant see that well, but you get the general idea.

crowd.jpg

Thats because the screens would be facing towards the back of the arena, not toward the stage.

Archived