The Firm or Coverdale Page

zeptangerine

I definitely like C/P better. It seems Jimmy Page spent a lot of time and effort to get a guitar-driven album made. And to be honest I hardly notice Jimmy is playing on some Firm songs.

Definitely. Jimmy was not really firing on all cyllinders with The Firm. It was more of a Paul Rodgers vehicle. Even Midnight Moonlight was kind of ruined on the recording (with the corny female backup singers). C/P sounds like what I would expect Jimmy to come up with in the right creative environment.

The Firm 100%.

Coverdale Page was a travesty.

Really? It certainly isn't the best of what DC can offer Knebby but I wouldn't call it a travesty.

Make mine CP....and least Jimmy sounds like he's trying on that record, as opposed to being buried beneath a busy bass guitar and lousy 80s production. DC circa 1980 and Jimmy Page would have been a better combo though

Jeff

the firm was lacking musically as compared to c/p (i mean the albums). however, anyone that saw the firm after 10 shows or so saw jimmy come alive onstage. by the end of the '85 tour, jimmy was ringing every bell and pouring his heart out onstage....

the firm was lacking musically as compared to c/p (i mean the albums). however, anyone that saw the firm after 10 shows or so saw jimmy come alive onstage. by the end of the '85 tour, jimmy was ringing every bell and pouring his heart out onstage....

Beatbo...

Hey B, where did you see him coming alive in '85? I saw Jimmy facing his amps the whole night, and I was close enough to tell he was barely hanging on! I never felt so sorry for him in all my life. Maybe I saw him on show #9. :D

I wish Jimmy did a tour with David Coverdale. (or did they?)

I don't remember much around that Page/Coverdale time except the cd, which I still play quite often.

Anyone have a copy of this boot? Looks interesting- here's some more info on it below.

coverdale-page-front.jpg

Coverdale / Page

London, UK, Rehearsals 1993.

Recorded live in an empty theater in London.

The set-list is a mix of Coverdale/Page, Whitesnake and Led Zeppelin tracks.

Disc 1

Absolution Blues 6:03

Slide It In 2:47

Rock And Roll 4:22

Over Now 5:01

Kashmir 8:30

Take A Look At Yourself 5:24

Pride ‘n’ Joy 5:05

Take Me For A Little While 6:05

In My Time Of Dying 10:08

Disc 2

Here I Go Again 4:21

Don’t Leave Me This Way 9:00

Feelin’ Hot 5:31

Still Of The Knight 6:33

Whisper A Prayer 7:09

Black Dog 5:40

Shake My Tree 5:42

192 kbps

Categories: Bootleg

Tagged: 1993, David Coverdale, Jimmy Page

Hey B, where did you see him coming alive in '85? I saw Jimmy facing his amps the whole night, and I was close enough to tell he was barely hanging on! I never felt so sorry for him in all my life. Maybe I saw him on show #9. :D

I don't remember much around that Page/Coverdale time except the cd, which I still play quite often.

Anyone have a copy of this boot? Looks interesting- here's some more info on it below.

coverdale-page-front.jpg

Coverdale / Page

London, UK, Rehearsals 1993.

Recorded live in an empty theater in London.

The set-list is a mix of Coverdale/Page, Whitesnake and Led Zeppelin tracks.

Disc 1

Absolution Blues 6:03

Slide It In 2:47

Rock And Roll 4:22

Over Now 5:01

Kashmir 8:30

Take A Look At Yourself 5:24

Pride ‘n’ Joy 5:05

Take Me For A Little While 6:05

In My Time Of Dying 10:08

Disc 2

Here I Go Again 4:21

Don’t Leave Me This Way 9:00

Feelin’ Hot 5:31

Still Of The Knight 6:33

Whisper A Prayer 7:09

Black Dog 5:40

Shake My Tree 5:42

192 kbps

Categories: Bootleg

Tagged: 1993, David Coverdale, Jimmy Page

I have that boot...it's worth it for the only "live" run through of Whisper a prayer for the dying and a brief bow snippet before Don't Leave Me This Way. You can barely hear DC's vocals in this boot though (which...it occurs to me...may be a good thing for those of you out there predisposed to a certain position :P )

As for CP live...it's quite a bootlegged tour...here's a clip for ya!

Jeff

I loved The Firm- I was very happy when I first heard that Jimmy was working with Paul Rodgers, as I am a Bad Co. fan too. "Live In Peace" is one of my all time favorite songs of any band.

Now C/P, well I gave the album a listen when it first came out & didn't care for it, but recently I've been getting more into it, love "Absolution Blues".

But overall, I definitely prefer The Firm. (The pic in my siggy is from the Apr 3 1986 show at the Nassau Coliseum).

Click the links I posted. The Firm one is from 85. The other is Coverdale/Page from Japan.

I love the Coverdale/Page album much more than the Firm though I do like it. But like was said earlier, there are only a few songs that you can really tell it's Jimmy. On the Coverdale/Page album he sounds much more like himself. The only big song I think of is truely him, is Midnight Moonlight, maybe because he was working on the melody since Physical Graffetti. The others sound more like him than others. I hope that makes sense.

mr. Z!

very nice! excellent post and it is all your fault that i am now spreading firm boots on the floor for a weekend jimmyjam....

Sounds like fun dude. I really think this is Jimmy at his best at the time. Glad you enjoyed as much as I did.

i saw the firm at the rosemont horizon in chicago in april of '85. i saw the '86 show on may in st. louis at the arena (formerly the checkerdome, now dust and memory). both shows were incredible, the 86 show was so charged with emotion i can still smell the palpable tension when i reflect on it. my buddy and i had paid to slide to the front of the stage on the page side and we stood in awe while jimmy shredded his bow. as God is my witness, he looked up from his guitar as the lights came up and looked right at me and threw me a thumbs up (and psychically visited me - we had beer and talked about art whilst time stood still).

ringing all the bells for sure....

by the way, the 9th show in '85 was in oakland, i think....but ask steveajones, he would know for sure.

edited to improve grammar. a losing battle....

I like both, but I think Jimmy was in better playing form with Coverdale, and in better health I might add. I wish the same time was put into Clarksdale with writing and the famous Page guitar army. If Coverdale/Page had happened a few years prior ( before the seattle scene took off), all those hair band Zep rip-offs woulda been left holding Jimmy's jock. I saw the Firm in Dayton Ohio and it was a great show. I just think the second album Mean Business sounds so dated.

I like both, but I think Jimmy was in better playing form with Coverdale, and in better health I might add. I wish the same time was put into Clarksdale with writing and the famous Page guitar army. If Coverdale/Page had happened a few years prior ( before the seattle scene took off), all those hair band Zep rip-offs woulda been left holding Jimmy's jock. I saw the Firm in Dayton Ohio and it was a great show. I just think the second album Mean Business sounds so dated.

Musically I think C/P was a more firey work by Page, but I can't stand Coverdale's metal voice shrieking over the music. He has a great voice when he isn't doing that. So why David? WHY?? And you live doing Zeppelin? Please!! :rolleyes:

I wish they could've airbrushed his voice the way they did his photos.

Control in a vice Jimmy. Remember? Did you really like what was coming over the monitors out of the vocal booth? :huh:

I have that boot...it's worth it for the only "live" run through of Whisper a prayer for the dying and a brief bow snippet before Don't Leave Me This Way. You can barely hear DC's vocals in this boot though (which...it occurs to me...may be a good thing for those of you out there predisposed to a certain position :P )

As for CP live...it's quite a bootlegged tour...here's a clip for ya!

Jeff

So they did tour- in Japan only?

Jeff, how did Kashmir sound on this boot? Totally Zeppelinesque or quasi Zep without Jonesy's keyboard? I have a really hard time hearing it any other way than the Zep way, so I'm trying to imagine it. :)

Archived