Bureaucracy putting Plant off LZ reunion

Vega

Sorry - I know that this is the spin this site is putting on this, but I have that GQ and NOWHERE does he say that it is "putting him off a new reunion". He talks about the endless paperwork from the O2 - but NOT in the context of a further reunion. Sheesh.

Sorry - I know that this is the spin this site is putting on this, but I have that GQ and NOWHERE does he say that it is "putting him off a new reunion". He talks about the endless paperwork from the O2 - but NOT in the context of a further reunion. Sheesh.

:rolleyes: what can I say...

Knebby, do you have that interview in electronic form, by any chance? :) I wonder what else was there...

Ok, before you knife me for what I said, I understand completely Zep never, ever bowed to the pop club. I know that.

Perhaps it would be stated better that way than to throw in the word ..fans.

Like..." It was never about what was pop at the moment......."

*And I'm not saying he should have said it that way. *

Jeez.

Ok, before you knife me for what I said, I understand completely Zep never, ever bowed to the pop club. I know that.

Perhaps it would be stated better that way than to throw in the word ..fans.

Like..." It was never about what was pop at the moment......."

*And I'm not saying he should have said it that way. *

Jeez.

I understood what you meant. :)

Music Radar has this to say:

Singer Robert Plant insists he hasn't ruled out another Led Zeppelin reunion. Turns out he just hates paperwork, that's all.

Apparently, there's a lot of it attached to anything Zep-related, and it's this kind of bureaucracy that puts him off the idea.

Since Led Zeppelin's historic one-off gig at London's O2 arena last year - the band's first concert in 19 years - they have been hounded by rumours of a world tour. All of which makes Plant, still on tour with bluegrass star Alison Krauss (whose legal documents must be written on Post-It notes), skittish about hitting the road.

Just for the O2 show, Plant says, "The endless paperwork was like nothing I've experienced before. I've kept every one of the emails that were exchanged before the concert and I'm thinking of compiling them for a book, which I feel sure would be hailed as a sort of literary version of Spinal Tap."

In must will come as a harsh slap to millions of Zeppelin fans, Plant adds: "Led Zeppelin's never been about the fans. We've always been about four guys coming together to make thrilling, disturbing rock 'n' roll. On our own terms."

Coming together on your own terms? Avoiding paperwork? Hmmm, seems like Plant could use a lawyer. You'd think he could afford one.

Is really joking about the whole paperwork business? This reads like another pointed stab in the heart of his former band-mates, his fans, and now a much desired Led Zeppelin reunion. If Percy's trying out for a career in comedy, he shouldn't bother. :unsure:

Music Radar has this to say:

Singer Robert Plant insists he hasn't ruled out another Led Zeppelin reunion. Turns out he just hates paperwork, that's all.

Apparently, there's a lot of it attached to anything Zep-related, and it's this kind of bureaucracy that puts him off the idea.

Since Led Zeppelin's historic one-off gig at London's O2 arena last year - the band's first concert in 19 years - they have been hounded by rumours of a world tour. All of which makes Plant, still on tour with bluegrass star Alison Krauss (whose legal documents must be written on Post-It notes), skittish about hitting the road.

Just for the O2 show, Plant says, "The endless paperwork was like nothing I've experienced before. I've kept every one of the emails that were exchanged before the concert and I'm thinking of compiling them for a book, which I feel sure would be hailed as a sort of literary version of Spinal Tap."

In must will come as a harsh slap to millions of Zeppelin fans, Plant adds: "Led Zeppelin's never been about the fans. We've always been about four guys coming together to make thrilling, disturbing rock 'n' roll. On our own terms."

Coming together on your own terms? Avoiding paperwork? Hmmm, seems like Plant could use a lawyer. You'd think he could afford one.

Is really joking about the whole paperwork business? This reads like another pointed stab in the heart of his former band-mates, his fans, and now a much desired Led Zeppelin reunion. If Percy's trying out for a career in comedy, he shouldn't bother. :unsure:

I think that Robert's quote about Zeppelin not being about the fans has to be taken in context. He did not say they didn't care about the fans. I think he was implying that the fickle nature of fans and what they expect did not enter into the conversation when Zeppelin was a working band. They were pretty much a take it or leave it group and did not cater to the whims of the general public when they were still performing and making albums. LZ III is a perfect example. I'm sure many fans of the first two albums were plenty surprised and disappointed at the first listen of their third album. That is one of the reasons Zeppelin, at least to my ears is the best. They made music they wanted to play, not what was expected of them.

Robert will do what he thinks is right, he has managed to keep the Zep legacy in tact by not jumping on any nostalgic bandwagon tours ala lots of other rock bands. I thought the fact he refused to play any Zep tunes for 8 years was a really brave and in hindsight the right one !! When he did in 88 it was a nice surprise and also you could see in his concerts he was now happy to do them. He has taken a few risks and good on him.

Robert will do what he thinks is right, he has managed to keep the Zep legacy in tact by not jumping on any nostalgic bandwagon tours ala lots of other rock bands. I thought the fact he refused to play any Zep tunes for 8 years was a really brave and in hindsight the right one !! When he did in 88 it was a nice surprise and also you could see in his concerts he was now happy to do them. He has taken a few risks and good on him.

He always talks about how he wants to keep the legacy in tact, yet he says fans don't matter. So he's basically saying he wants the fans to remember them like they were yet he doesn't care about what the fans think? What?

Led Zeppelin's legacy is set in stone. The critics never gave a damn about the band while they were a band. Suddenly those same critics talk about Zeppelin like they were great at that time and always were. Fact is if Jonesy, Pagey, and Jason are probably going to do this with or without Robert, and I don't think Robert will be able to resist if they make it public that there will be a tour next year.

Robert is well off enough where he can hire lawyers or people to do the paperwork.

He always talks about how he wants to keep the legacy in tact, yet he says fans don't matter. So he's basically saying he wants the fans to remember them like they were yet he doesn't care about what the fans think? What?

Led Zeppelin's legacy is set in stone. The critics never gave a damn about the band while they were a band. Suddenly those same critics talk about Zeppelin like they were great at that time and always were. Fact is if Jonesy, Pagey, and Jason are probably going to do this with or without Robert, and I don't think Robert will be able to resist if they make it public that there will be a tour next year.

Robert is well off enough where he can hire lawyers or people to do the paperwork.

I think he means that he will not bow down to fan pressure but if he feels its on their terms and can do something valid then he might !!

Thanks, Knebby. Good to keep it all in perspective.

Has this article been posted somewhere in these forums?

I know Robert loves the fans (two P & P tours are an example - to which both I was grateful to attend), and that last quote has to be taken in the proper context, i.e. we don't make music based on polls. That said, it sure would be easy for someone not too familiar with the band to take it to mean something not very nice.

The comment about paperwork is a bit curious, but I guess I can empathize. When I bought my last car the paperwork was a 24 carat pain in the butt.

I know Robert loves the fans (two P & P tours are an example - to which both I was grateful to attend), and that last quote has to be taken in the proper context, i.e. we don't make music based on polls. That said, it sure would be easy for someone not too familiar with the band to take it to mean something not very nice.

The comment about paperwork is a bit curious, but I guess I can empathize. When I bought my last car the paperwork was a 24 carat pain in the butt.

I sort of took the comment about the paperwork as more metphorical for feeling a tour would be a lot of pressure and expectation placed on them - feeling weighed down by it like you would be with tons of paperwork if any of that makes sense.

Archived