CHICKENFOOT Update

The Pagemeister

MICHAEL ANTHONY Issues ' CHICKENFOOT' Update

The new "supergroup" featuring former VAN HALEN frontman Sammy Hagar, ex-VAN HALEN bassist Michael Anthony, guitar virtuoso Joe Satriani and RED HOT CHILI PEPPERS drummer Chad Smith recently entered the studio to begin recording its debut album. Anthony writes on his web site, "First of all you can all rest assured that our name will not be CHICKENFOOT, but I guess we have to call it something for now!! I just got back last Wednesday from a week and a half of recording with Sam, Joe, and Chad, and all I can say is.... F___K, the shit is ROCKIN'!!!! [Producer] Andy Johns is in the studio with us, and it's sounding BIG!!! I know Sammy got bashed a bit for supposedly comparing this to ZEP in the press (I'm sure if he made any references, it's just because of how excited we all are about how it is coming along. You all know Sammy!! This definitely has the energy of an early ZEP or VH for that matter...). NOBODY will be dissappointed!! We have nine basic tracks recorded, and after Sammy and Joe finish up some touring commitments, we will be back in the studio to finish this up!! We can't wait to get this thing out, so we can bash it up HARD with all of you!!!!"

Smith told The Pulse of Radio he got involved in the project by owning a home near Hagar's place in Cabo San Lucas, Mexico. "If you're in Cabo, of course you know Sammy 'cause he's, you know, he rules the joint," he said. "And he's a really nice man, he's a great guy, actually. Somehow he's taken a liking to me, and we played in Vegas, and we played some cover songs — we're a good cover band now. He got pretty excited about it and it actually sounded really good."

Yes this project/band is going to be worth at least a check when it comes out, as long as Satch doesnt just masturbate the guitar and actually plays in a band format as it should and not be a vechael for his technique as per solo shows, although i do like alot of his stuff. Just jkeep it rocking and not to wanky Satch and this could be good.

The name Chickenfoot should stay...think its great :)

Yes this project/band is going to be worth at least a check when it comes out, as long as Satch doesnt just masturbate the guitar and actually plays in a band format as it should and not be a vechael for his technique as per solo shows, although i do like alot of his stuff. Just jkeep it rocking and not to wanky Satch and this could be good.

The name Chickenfoot should stay...think its great :)

I'm behind that one 100%.

Even though a lot of the time Mr. Van Halen himself has these solo sessions. Of course all lead guitarists do to some degree.

I'll cross my fingers that Satriani can keep his pants on.

• 2 years later...
  • 3 years later...

Is this band even still together?

Fuck the muddle east...a Nobel Peace Prize seriously awaits the person who can reunite Michael Anthony with DLR, EVH, and AVH and bring back the ORIGINAL Van Halen band.

I`m with you on this...

Is this band even still together?

Fuck the muddle east...a Nobel Peace Prize seriously awaits the person who can reunite Michael Anthony with DLR, EVH, and AVH and bring back the ORIGINAL Van Halen band.

Why? They all seem to hate each other for whatever reason. The band had there moments, but I'm not sure I would even call them a band. They were more like a business relationship with members coming and going all of the time.

Why? They all seem to hate each other for whatever reason. The band had there moments, but I'm not sure I would even call them a band. They were more like a business relationship with members coming and going all of the time.

"Members coming and going all of the time"? Maybe the last 20 years or so, but when I am talking about Van Halen, I ain't talking 'bout post-85 VH, I am talking 'bout 1974-1984 when Michael Anthony replaced Mark Stone and Genesis became Mammoth became Van Halen. There was no "coming and going" for another ten years, the essential years of Van Halen's history, encompassing their working up through the local Los Angeles clubs such as the Starwood, Gazzari's, and the Whisky (essentially creating the blueprint for all future hardrock/metal bands in the process...creating a local scene where there was none before) and the blastoff into the national consciousness with the first Van Halen album. Van Halen II, Women & Children First, Fair Warning, Diver Down, and 1984 all followed in quick succession. Eddie, Alex, Michael and Dave were, are, and will always be the only Van Halen that matters.

• 1 year later...

Archived