Best LIVE VERSION of Ten Years Gone?

mindthegap

thats very true to, when he play with the crows he said similar things about them doing their homework on all the guitar parts i mean for jimmy to do that song live with that sound, its intense man.

The versions he did with the Black Crowes were fantastic as they had three guitarists and played the song as it was intended with the numerous guitar parts. I saw them on their first set of shows in NYC in 1999 at Roseland. I went to the third night when Jimmy finally got TYG right. The previous two shows, he was a bit sloppy with the song. Hearing this close to the stage and the rest of the show is something I'll always remember. What a show! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

• 9 months later...
The best version of TYG is 7-24-79. This is the best solo of Page performing this song live...

I totally agree. Page's soloing thru-out this entire concert was truly spectacular,

all the right notes in all the right places.

many thanks for this post, well, my best live impresion about Ten Years Gone:

Shut up Bonzo !!

Teeen Yeaars Bonham !

:::::::

this its my best track about TYG, i cried, im cry... I become very sad with this song, you can see it in my signature :(:(

"Did you ever really need somebody, And really need 'em bad

Did you ever really want somebody, The best love you ever had

Do you ever remember me, baby, did it feel so good

'Cause it was just the first time, And you knew you would"

greetings ! :(

• 2 weeks later...

Although it factors in, the solo is only a small part of how I judge TYG. I judge it based on consistency, how good Percy's voice is, the tone and volume of the guitar, and how well the band are working as a unit...that said, I quite like the first Cleveland version (4/27/77 I think) and Knebworth, even though everybody has them. I've heard Cleveland (that is, the first night) get maligned a lot but that is easily the best song from that whole show, with IMTOD as 2nd. But I like Knebworth marginally better. The Copenhagen versions are tied at 3rd runner-up. Technically they are probably better but I guess Knebby and Cleveland are just more to my taste for some reason.

Although it factors in, the solo is only a small part of how I judge TYG. I judge it based on consistency, how good Percy's voice is, the tone and volume of the guitar, and how well the band are working as a unit...that said, I quite like the first Cleveland version (4/27/77 I think) and Knebworth, even though everybody has them. I've heard Cleveland (that is, the first night) get maligned a lot but that is easily the best song from that whole show, with IMTOD as 2nd. But I like Knebworth marginally better. The Copenhagen versions are tied at 3rd runner-up. Technically they are probably better but I guess Knebby and Cleveland are just more to my taste for some reason.

I agree with your post, Kashmiran, but especially the bolded part. We appear to share identical opinions of the "Destroyer" show! April 27/77 gets my vote as the best version; certainly my favourite, anyway.

IMO "Ten Years Gone" was one of the more challenging tunes Zep tried to do onstage, and it seems to me that they pretty much had to be 100% on the ball in order to carry it off. I recall one version, Louisville '77, I think, where Page seems to come across the solos, etc with zero feeling whatsoever, sort of a "Let's play it and get it over with" vibe (the whole Louisville show seems that way to me actually)...then of course there's Jimmy's, er, slight hesitation before the first solo at the July 23 Oakland show...Christ, what a trainwreck!

• 5 years later...

I would have to say Seattle 7/17/77 is my favorite.. I used to think it was terrible until I listened to 'Conquering Kingdom' it's a fantastic performance, which I like more than 4/28/77, 5/31/77, 6/21/77, 6/23/77, and 8/4/79 as far as this song (not whole concert of course).

I would have to say Seattle 7/17/77 is my favorite.. I used to think it was terrible until I listened to 'Conquering Kingdom' it's a fantastic performance, which I like more than 4/28/77, 5/31/77, 6/21/77, 6/23/77, and 8/4/79 as far as this song (not whole concert of course).

I'm sure you mean 5/30/77, but if you've got a tape of 5/31, we sure would love to hear it!

To contribute, I think 1977/05/25 is underrated.

I'm sure you mean 5/30/77, but if you've got a tape of 5/31, we sure would love to hear it!

To contribute, I think 1977/05/25 is underrated.

I deeply apologize for getting your hopes up.. Accidentally typed wrong number, Dragon Snake 5/21/77 in Houston (which is a pretty spectacular performance for 77 itself!) sorry for that one!

It's all good mate. The version from Houston is pretty damn good!

Gotta love the L.A. '77 versions, those are spectacular. 7/24/79 is great too, lots of power in this version. For me, my favorite is going to have to be 4/28/77, the emotion in this performance is just amazing. Also, I love the octave effect Jimmy uses during the short solo at 3:45!!

• 2 weeks later...

Ten Years Gone was probably the best performance of the night in Seattle, but my favorite has gotta be the Badgeholder's version, 6/23/77. what is that octave pedal Jimmy is using lcondo123??? I'm very curious….it seems strange…it seems like there are more than a few tones / sounds that I'm having trouble placing on this 1977 tour. usually Jimmy had the Crybaby or Vox Wah Wah, MXR Phase 90, Tonebender? Fuzz, Echoplex….but by 1977 what was his board like? I thought he basically had the same board….weird

Ten Years Gone was probably the best performance of the night in Seattle, but my favorite has gotta be the Badgeholder's version, 6/23/77. what is that octave pedal Jimmy is using lcondo123??? I'm very curious….it seems strange…it seems like there are more than a few tones / sounds that I'm having trouble placing on this 1977 tour. usually Jimmy had the Crybaby or Vox Wah Wah, MXR Phase 90, Tonebender? Fuzz, Echoplex….but by 1977 what was his board like? I thought he basically had the same board….weird

I'm thinking the harmony effect on the guitar is the same one that's used on Plant's vocals at the end of the song. I hear it used in both Cleveland shows but I don't remember hearing it otherwise on the guitar. It didn't seem to track the guitar that well so maybe that's why they dropped it. Are there any other examples of the harmony/guitar thing live?

edit-- Hadn't watched the Seattle 77 version in quite a while but that is a great one. Really great soloing from Jimmy.

Copenhagen 07/24/1979. That concert is their best post 77 show hands down in my opinion. Start to finish this is an excellent recording with tight playing.....great live atmosphere. Jealous of the people lucky enough to have seen that show. Cheers

Copenhagen 07/24/1979. That concert is their best post 77 show hands down in my opinion. Start to finish this is an excellent recording with tight playing.....great live atmosphere. Jealous of the people lucky enough to have seen that show. Cheers

I'm 100% with you, I personally place it higher then the forum gigs in 1977(I know I'm pretty alone in that though

Gotta love the L.A. '77 versions, those are spectacular. 7/24/79 is great too, lots of power in this version. For me, my favorite is going to have to be 4/28/77, the emotion in this performance is just amazing. Also, I love the octave effect Jimmy uses during the short solo at 3:45!!

Wow...thanks for posting this. Admit that I am not well versed on the live performances, but I wouldn't think it could get any better than this. I agree that there is so much emotion in this performance...the guitar is just haunting, can't get it out of my head! One of my favorite LZ songs, now even more a favorite.

Archived