What Are You Reading?

Chicken

I pre-ordered "Go Set A Watchman" by Harper Lee. To Kill A Mockingbird is my favorite book and movie so I am sure I will really enjoy this. Just waiting for the time to be able to devote reading it which is very soon :-) I would love to see a movie made as well.

I pre-ordered "Go Set A Watchman" by Harper Lee. To Kill A Mockingbird is my favorite book and movie so I am sure I will really enjoy this. Just waiting for the time to be able to devote reading it which is very soon :-) I would love to see a movie made as well.

Just ordered mine, can't wait! Thanks for the post, Deborah, I didn't realize it was available for pre-order.

• 2 weeks later...

The play Red by John Logan. It's about Mark Rothko's challenge of creating the definitive work of art. Alfred Molina - great actor - originally starred in the role in London and New York (Eddie Redmayne played his assistant in both productions). I'm more curious about Logan's play than Rothko's paintings, frankly. Maybe it's a provincial attitude, but his art doesn't resonate with me. Take a look at his work.

Tori Amos - In the Studio by Jake Brown. It's about how TA paved her own path as well as her intuitive and resourceful methods of composing and recording. I love her music and quirky creative way because she's stayed true to herself. That and because she's a brilliant musician.

A timely choice :)

No doubt Arthur will get a mention... incident ly, if there is a photo in that book of Bradman and Morris walking out to play, it will be the photo that we had copied and I got Arthur to sign :)

Yes, it is Julie! :D

In fact, thanks to the world cup thread and your account of meeting Mr. Morris, I started digging up my dad's collection of cricket books amassed through the decades and the biography of Sir Don Bradman by Michael Page caught my interest! Mr. Morris has been mentioned several times in this book, for his role in various test matches, especially in that fourth test against England at Headingley, where he and the Don put on a wonderful partnership to secure a victory for Australia, chasing down a total of 404 and having just 345 minutes to do it! Unbelievable!

Sadly, there are no photos in the book, of the Don and Mr. Morris batting together! :( But, there is one mention of Mr. Morris which I really want you to read, Julie! It is in an article called "Through Don Bradman's Eyes". It is pretty much a snippet of a book written by the Don himself called "Farewell to Cricket", published in 1950, wherein the Don gives his own impressions of various English and Australian cricketers he played with or against and he terms Mr. Morris and another famous opening batsman Bill Ponsford, as "the finest of the period". I found that very heart warming to read! :D

Ooh, I also found a lovely team photo of the "Invincibles" right after winning the 1948 Ashes series! Do have a look! It is from another one of my dad's books called "The Hamlyn A to Z of Cricket Records" by Peter Wynne-Thomas :)

For some strange reason, I am not able to attach any of the files to my post! Damn! :(

Anyway, Julie, brace yourself for some rather large images in my post! Sorry about that! The first is that team photo of "The Invincibles" :) This is the 1st photo in the page and honestly, it is really amazing to see these legends in their prime after winning the 1948 Ashes!!

The%20Invincibles_zpsgsiinhj1.jpg

Mr. Morris is second from the left at the back, and the Don is third from the left in front! :D

Edited to add: Julie, the article "Through Don Bradman's Eyes" is up next in my next post.

Edited by Kiwi_Zep_Fan87

^^^Continuing from my previous post. Julie, here is part 1 and 2 of the article "Through Don Bradman's Eyes"

Through%20Don%20Bradmans%20Eyes%20-%20Pa

Through%20Don%20Bradmans%20Eyes%20-%20Pa

I do hope that you enjoy reading this as much as I did! :):peace:

thanks for that, Kiwi :) enjoy your reading!

Oooh it's a close match at the moment with NZ and SA ......

Has both translated and original... Well I have picked some up. I figured before I read the Once and Future King I have to read the original... The story is all there couched within dozens of battles and how many Knights were in each one..dozens....

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'll have to get that one. Always loved him on The Jack Benny Show. :)

Currently reading 'KL: The History Of The Nazi Concentration Camps.'

You have to get that book! It is so interesting! I have only read the 1st 20 pages or so and honestly, I'm hooked! :D

I really began appreciating Mel Blanc's talents as a comedian on the Jack Benny Show, especially with characters like Professor Le Blanc, that poor store clerk who Jack torments at Christmas time and that dear old Mexican man - Sy! :lol:

Not to go off topic but, look what I found on good old YT :D