FULL MOON

The Rover

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 12/21/2018 at 10:52 PM, luvlz2 said:

Yeah, was trying to get a good look at it, but it's too cloudy.

On 12/21/2018 at 7:16 PM, The Rover said:

Nice Winter Solstice Moon rise this evening.

My phone has no zoom, so the picture I took didn't match the detail I saw.

Yeah sky was clear the next day and I seen it, really nice.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Sky-watchers in the Northern Hemisphere will get to see a cosmic triple play on March 20, 2019 as a “super worm moon” lights up the vernal equinox. According to astronomy website EarthSky.org, a full moon has not landed this close to the first day of spring since the year 2000, and the two celestial events won’t happen less than a day apart again until 2030.

Because the moon’s orbit is egg-shaped, there are times when it is at what astronomers call perigee, or its shortest distance from Earth, and times when it is at apogee, or its farthest distance from Earth. And because the size of the moon's orbit varies slightly with each lunar cycle, perigee is not always the same distance from month to month.

At 3:45 p.m. ET (19:45 UT) on March 19, 2019 the moon will be a mere 223,309 miles away from our planet, making for an especially close perigee.

Then, at 9:43 p.m. ET on March 20, 2019 (1:43 UT on March 21), the moon will officially reach its full phase. As a result of these combined events, the full lunar disk will appear 14 percent larger and 12 percent brighter than usual—a spectacle widely known as a supermoon.

The equinox supermoon will be the final one for 2019, which already saw supermoons fall on January 21 and February 19. But the year may have saved the best for last, given the coincidental timing with the March equinox at 5:58 p.m. ET (21:58 UT) on March 20—less than four hours before the supermoon arrives.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
6 hours ago, luvlz2 said:

I'll one up ya with 2 full length albums with nothing but songs about the moon:

Mel Torme 1960: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swingin'_on_the_Moon

Frank Sinatra 1966: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moonlight_Sinatra

3 hours ago, Walter said:

You Tube has this crazy scientific show about the Moon being artificial, hollow, with advanced alien life operating inside of it, monitoring the Earth and all.  Its pointed out how amazing it is that the eclipse is so perfect how it covers the Sun, that one side of the Moon is never visible to us, and all kinds of crazy theories. I  guess when Apollo 16 hit the moon with the lunar module it gave off a ring for 14 hours proving its hollow inside.  They believe with a metal shell underneath.