SIBLY or Tea For One?

mightyzep247

162 members have voted

1. 1. which do you prefer?

• Since I've Been Lovin' You
    • Tea For One

In my opinion, Since I've Been Loving You is the superior track. Live and studio. Page's tone is absolutely incredible and the solo, holy crap, the solo, especially the double-tracked part sends chills down my spine. Tea For One is okay but it's way too long and feels like it goes no where with the song. If it were shorter, then it probably would've been better.

Tea for One.

SILBY suffers from having been performed too often, I think. Also, it feels like the early part of a relationship. Tea for One on the other hand represents it a few years down the road, after all the battles had been lost and won. It's more mature and introspective musically and lyrically. Even during the Page & Plant tour it felt awkward to hear it, to be honest, it just didn't seem to suit where they were. It's like Plant singing the Lemon Song. When you're twenty, clad in leather and belting out, "Squeeze my lemon" it's hot, at 60+, not so much. Same topic, different perspective. Maybe it's just more a reflection of where I am now.

• 2 weeks later...

For me, it's Tea For One...very dark and bluesy. It's too bad we never got to hear it when Zep were together. Everytime I hear this song, I picture the boys playing in a dimly-lit smoky bar, dressed in suits and hats, kind of like the ITTOD cover, more dark and mysterious...and Jimmy with a cigarette hanging out of his mouth with a cloud of smoke around him as he works his magic on the guitar.

Tea For One.. it's just so pretty the way it changes in the beginning.. (one of the songs I listen to when Im sad and it nearly always makes me cry :D ) although I like SIBLY also quite much

Tea for One.

The quintesential tune that pulls the listener into the dark abyss of life.

SIBLY is fantastic on many levels, but its depth is not of the same nature as Tea for One.

You appreciate the lyrics and riff on a different plane vs. SIBLY.

Sometimes a band needs a " depression " song.. this is it for them.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I wouldn't really choose between them, and the thing is, TFO was a conscious revisiting of SIBLY by the band, in a very different situation - and a different mood. SIBLY was a marvelous song obviously, and TFO doesn't really try to 'better' it, but rather was more of a coming back there....when so much has happened in the interim. There is more immediacy to TFO; it's that spirit of Presence.

• 1 month later...

Personally I like the '77 versions of SIBLY, Page's playing might be a bit off sometimes but not unlistenable and it was meant to incorporate elements Tea For One (just listen to the solo in SIBLY from any show of the '77 tour.)

Archived