SIBLY or Tea For One?

mightyzep247

162 members have voted

1. 1. which do you prefer?

• Since I've Been Lovin' You
    • Tea For One

For me, it's Tea For One...very dark and bluesy. It's too bad we never got to hear it when Zep were together. Everytime I hear this song, I picture the boys playing in a dimly-lit smoky bar, dressed in suits and hats, kind of like the ITTOD cover, more dark and mysterious...and Jimmy with a cigarette hanging out of his mouth with a cloud of smoke around him as he works his magic on the guitar.

That was an awesome description man, painted a picture inside my head.

Seems like an impossible choice.... <_<

I voted "Tea For One", but I love SIBLY too B)

btw, have you heard Joe Bonamassa's version of "Tea For One".....it's really really good, IMHO

Tea For One....

the best Jimmy's solos is in that song!

He's great..and so inspired in that solo!

I wonder...what was he thinking about???

Probably thinking "Have to get all these solos done by morning!" :lol:

Their studio time was about to expire, and the solos were the last thing to add. Jimmy apparently did the lot of them in one marathon session, right down to the wire. I think there's something to be said about working under that sort of pressure and just going for it without too much time to overthink things. The sense of relaxed urgency is palpable.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...

What an evil thing to have to pick between two of my most favorite of Led Zeppelin songs. Both songs are somewhat similar in the way they bring a person in and take them down...the bluesy vibe and emotions in the songs are just right there and pull on the heartstrings.

I think SIBLY is so well known that it's going to be a top favorite but I think the way Robert sings it and the lyrics are what make it a great song...it's basically the song of a hard working man giving it all to his woman and the woman just doing wrong haha

But Tea for one is pure heartbreak...a man has done someone wrong song and there is a lot of emotion in that song. The mood of the song is so powerful...you just understand it all. I seem to drift away with this song.

I use to think Tea for One was the next chapter after SIBLY. With both songs the music, voice and emotions pull everything together and a person can just feel them...they are clearly lay back and just listen kind of songs and from my view point hit all the right marks.

Thank the heavens I don't have to pick...these songs send me ;)

TFO because baby, sometimes when I feel this way...

Having read through all the replies, this one here just nails it! Now to chime in with my own observations on these two songs... to me, and this is my opinion only, but to me, Since I've Been Loving You is merely Led-Zeppelin playing the blues. Tea For One, on the other hand, is Led-Zeppelin living the blues. There's a massive difference between the two and this emotional level that seeps through every note of Tea is what separates it from any other blues song that Zep played.

Tea For One is real. It is the band, particularly Robert, baring their soul and turning in a performance that is at once haunting and exemplary. The way Bonham handles this piece is a perfect example of the man's master touch. Jimmy's guitar just oozes blue notes everywhere and Robert's vocals just drip with a melancholy desperateness that is superb and chilling. Jonsey holds it all together like super glue and the final result is a rare glimpse inside the pain and desolation that even millionaire rock-stars can experience.

Having read through all the replies, this one here just nails it! Now to chime in with my own observations on these two songs... to me, and this is my opinion only, but to me, Since I've Been Loving You is merely Led-Zeppelin playing the blues. Tea For One, on the other hand, is Led-Zeppelin living the blues. There's a massive difference between the two and this emotional level that seeps through every note of Tea is what separates it from any other blues song that Zep played.

Tea For One is real. It is the band, particularly Robert, baring their soul and turning in a performance that is at once haunting and exemplary. The way Bonham handles this piece is a perfect example of the man's master touch. Jimmy's guitar just oozes blue notes everywhere and Robert's vocals just drip with a melancholy desperateness that is superb and chilling. Jonsey holds it all together like super glue and the final result is a rare glimpse inside the pain and desolation that even millionaire rock-stars can experience.

Right on Dr. Death. I couldn't have put it any better myself. :P

I agree...Dr. Death you hit it on the nail with that. It's also interesting to look back at what was going on with the band and the band member's when "Tea For One" was created.

• 1 month later...

Depends in what context we're talking about. Tea For One was to my knowledge never performed live, while SIBLY was performed live a lot. My two favorite versions of that song live are on BBC Sessions and HTWWW.

That being said, since there's no live version of Tea For One to use for comparison and you go strictly album version vs. album version......to me, Tea For One wins hands down. I've never cared for the album version of SIBLY. I just love TFO. I love it. It's beautiful, haunting, and when the bottom drops out and it goes into that slow burning blues drawl.....that's a song.

• 5 weeks later...

i don´t know, SIBLY is like a roaller coster because it's like a teen romance, that song reflects the emotion and the desesperation of a man's first love experience and i'm not talking about a sexual one, but a spiritual one, in fact the ultimate girl!, it's really great.

And TFO it's like a bitter end of a distant relation, to me it figures like a hard remembering of the love that you have and for circumstances of life, she go.

Both equal in my book!

• 3 weeks later...

This is a great poll question. I honestly can't answer it. Both tunes are Zepp at their very best, the music, the lyric, the arrangement, the vocals....all of it really.

I burned a CD-R for the car from my Zeppelin CD's a few years ago.......Since I've Been Loving You is the first tune and Tea For One is the last tune on it.

It's a coin flip and I lost the coin.....

• 3 weeks later...

Since I've Been Loving You is their best song, period. Tea for one is a great tune. They tried to put a "blues epic" to complete side two of each album. Some of them are debatable: How many more times...Bring it on home...Hats off to Harper...When the Levee Breaks...The Crunge.. (the one from PG escapes me currently)...Tea for one...Im gonna crawl

• 2 weeks later...

For me this is easy, Since I've Been Loving You (my 3rd fav Zep song). I just think Tea For One is too drawn out and that it doesn't reach a climax as tense or awesome as SIBLY. I still like TFO, but it can't touch SIBLY in my opinion. However, I do love the first 20 seconds of TFO a lot, wish they would of made a whole song off that riff...

• 3 years later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...

I've thought about this long and hard. I've even listened to each song hundreds of times. They are both amazing works of art.

But, when I'm browsing through my Zeppelin music, I almost always come back to Tea For One. I prefer it over Since I've Been Loving You.

You said long and hard. :P

The correct answer is obviously SIBLY. Tea for One is a less powerful rehash. Doesn't reach the heights of TFO, IMO. I believe Jimmy himself even said that. 

Archived