Is "Led Zeppelin" the Greatest Band ever?

ZoSo88

I know this question gets asked alot. And there is usually a wide range of opinions on the subject. Alot of people say music is subjective, and you cannot declare one band the best. Personally, I think that although music is subjective, it might be possible to pick a best band. Kind if like, most would agree that Michael Jordan is the greatest basketball player ever, there were other greats, some might disagree, but there is only one Michael Jordan. Thats how I view Led Zeppelin. In my opinion they are the greatest of all time and here is why...

I've always thought records sales are very telling. Accasionaly you will get a freak pop group like the "Spice Girls" who sell ALOT in a short period of time, then die off. This is not the case with Zeppelin and most of the greats are right at the top of the album sales list. Led Zeppelin is the 2nd best selling band world-wide and in the US (behind The Beatles). They have the largest average concert attendance in US history.

I concider Jimmy Page the greatest guitarist ever, ahead of Hendrix, Clapton, Beck, Santana, Slash, Van Halen, and everyone else.

Robert Plant I believe was at one point the greatest Rock vocalist ever, but now would only be below Freddie Mercury of Queen.

Bonzo is the greatest Rock Drummer ever, and JPJ is one of the most versitile musicians in Rock history.

But Zeppelin was greater then the sum of their parts. Now finally making their music catalog available for online download will boost album sales like we've never seen before. There were over 120 million registrations for the Zep Reunion, thats more then baby boomer Nostalgia. Stairway is the most played song in the history of American FM radio, and their list of accomplishments goes on and on.

But when it comes down to it, its their music that trancends everything. So what do you guys think? Perhaps Zep might be the greatest? Who would come close, and who should be mentioned along with them?

I'd agree. And you'd hope with this being their forum that most if not everyone on here would list them as their favorite. The aspect of being the greatest is a debate i've had alot of times, and it isnt going to change how great their music was. I just appreciate the combination of legendary music, great performance, their persona, and success all combined, makes me have to endorse them as being the greatest.

I know this question gets asked alot. And there is usually a wide range of opinions on the subject. Alot of people say music is subjective, and you cannot declare one band the best. Personally, I think that although music is subjective, it might be possible to pick a best band. Kind if like, most would agree that Michael Jordan is the greatest basketball player ever, there were other greats, some might disagree, but there is only one Michael Jordan. Thats how I view Led Zeppelin. In my opinion they are the greatest of all time and here is why...

I've always thought records sales are very telling. Accasionaly you will get a freak pop group like the "Spice Girls" who sell ALOT in a short period of time, then die off. This is not the case with Zeppelin and most of the greats are right at the top of the album sales list. Led Zeppelin is the 2nd best selling band world-wide and in the US (behind The Beatles). They have the largest average concert attendance in US history.

I concider Jimmy Page the greatest guitarist ever, ahead of Hendrix, Clapton, Beck, Santana, Slash, Van Halen, and everyone else.

Robert Plant I believe was at one point the greatest Rock vocalist ever, but now would only be below Freddie Mercury of Queen.

Bonzo is the greatest Rock Drummer ever, and JPJ is one of the most versitile musicians in Rock history.

But Zeppelin was greater then the sum of their parts. Now finally making their music catalog available for online download will boost album sales like we've never seen before. There were over 120 million registrations for the Zep Reunion, thats more then baby boomer Nostalgia. Stairway is the most played song in the history of American FM radio, and their list of accomplishments goes on and on.

But when it comes down to it, its their music that trancends everything. So what do you guys think? Perhaps Zep might be the greatest? Who would come close, and who should be mentioned along with them?

Very well said, I think also JPJ is one of the most underrated musicians of all time.

Very well said, I think also JPJ is one of the most underrated musicians of all time.

I feel so bad for JPJ. He was great in so many ways, playing bass, keys, arrangement, and everything, he was very much an important part to Zepp. Alot don't even know that he wrote the main riff for Black Dog and gave it to Jimmy. The only area i could critique him in was performance, the music he made was great, no doubt. But he often looked so sad, rarely moved, and had next to no sportlight. But thats okay because that just wasn't him. And when you play in a band with the other 3, especially Page & Plant on front stage, those two were such hardcore performers, its easy to get overshadowed.

He's my second favorite bassist of all time. He does some fantastic things on the bass and on this other instruments too, and while he is underrated, at least he gets recognition of some sort. He's usually thought of very highly by rock fans, just not usually as high as he should.

Less a band more a force of nature!

Although you're definately asking the wrong people if it's an impartial opinion you want.

If we put aside the glorious history for a minute, the response to the reunion has been truely staggering. The ticket site went into meltdown the moment iit went live. 80.000 hits a minute was reported.

It seems like the world and his wife wants to be at this gig. One guy in Scotland paid £83,000 for a pair of tickets (it went to a children's charity) but thats unbelievable isn't it? But then, I guess, any of us would have done the same if we had the cash.

All for a band who never release a single, were mauled by the critics and have only played 3 shoddy concerts in the last 28 years.

A Beatles reunion (if it were possible) might spark the same frenzy but then The Beatles were never a great live act. That's not intended as a dig at them but just because you couldn't be heard over the shrieking girls.

Back to the original question it is too subjective. All the statistics in the world won't prove it, but the first 10 seconds for those lucky few in the O2 will.

Very well said! Never though of it quite like that. From a statistical standpoint, i believe they have enough firepower to make a very strong case of being the best ever, but from a musical standpoint, they prove it through their works. The demand is ungodly, and beyond anyone's comprehension. As far as finding an impartial opinion..your right. But i've grown up trying to listen to everything i could get my hands on, especially rock related. And after a lifetime of dedication, trying to decide what i find most enjoyable...i always come back to Led Zeppelin.

Beatles - Most Influential

Led Zeppelin is the "BEST BAND" ever because they are the ONLY band that every member could be considered for the top 5 of their craft....

JP will be considered the Mozart of our time.... Not only did he write 90% of the catalog, he was the producer....

Led Zeppelin is basically the brain child of James Page!!! INCREDIBLE

Greatest band ever = no such thing.

There is WAY too much music out there and WAY too many artists out there to single out some that are the "best." With so much music, and so many people with different tastes, how can there possibly be a 'greatest' band? And how can we decide that when no one has even heard half of the music that has been recorded in all of time? Its just not possible to have a 'greatest band of all time.'

Ermmmmmmmmm.........yes...since puttin my uncle's knackered Zep II on the turntable 30 years ago i've not been convinced otherwise.....still first grab in a fire out of a record collection of 10K plus

Why do you not belive Page is the best, and who is better? I'll tell you why I believe he is the best. He was obviouly lead Guitarist for the most important/influencial/great (take your pick) Rock band of all time. He is the only double inductee into the Rock & Roll HOF (Yardbirds & Zeppelin) who was inducted for his guitar contributions alone (Clapton was inducted for his all around performance). Led Zeppelin is the largest selling Rock Band (Beatles are more pop rock) of all time. They have broke all existing attendance records, and their records still stand in the States. All this and much more without the aid on promotion, television exposure, etc.. Their music spoke volumes. From Page's days as a sessions worker he became the most in demand guitarist in England, playing on 50-90% of all records recorded in London (or so legend has it). He was in my opinion the greatest riff creator ever as Zeppelin has countless songs that everyone would know. How many true hits can you list from great bands like The Jimi Hendrix Experience, Cream, The Stones, The Who, etc... Not nearly as much as Zeppelin. Page was so versitile, coming from his days as a sessions worker, he could play a wide range of styles and be great with all of them, he was never limited to one sound. Not to mention is legendary production abilities which only enhanced his works, i could go on and on.

As far as the Plant vs Mercury angle. Did you know that Plant was Mercury's favorite vocalist? Yes, Robert had a legendary swagger and might have invented what a true rock front man was suppsoed to be. Mercury was totally different, and great in his own way, a bit essentric to say the least. But when it comes to Vocal Range and ability, I believe Mercury is hands down the best and it blows my mind. I would certainly put Plant as 2nd, even though alot of people don't believe in rankings. Its the easiest way i can try to explain it.

I think the question gets answered by the continuous interest in the band. They can still put out compilations with nothing new, and sell huge numbers. They reunite, and look at the number of requests! That alone makes a big case for being the best band of all time. The universal appeal of this band is awesome. Any country would have fans clammering for tickets if they toured. Unfortunately, as much as I'm a Queen fan, they lost the U.S. in a way. Had Zep stayed together, I think they would have continued with the success. Some say this is debatible, since a death seems to make an artist or band more "legendary", but with Zep I don't think this is so. This is just damm good music, versatile, wonderfully produced, and performed. I know of NO other band that consistantly put out such great work.

Why do you not belive Page is the best, and who is better? I'll tell you why I believe he is the best. He was obviouly lead Guitarist for the most important/influencial/great (take your pick) Rock band of all time. He is the only double inductee into the Rock & Roll HOF (Yardbirds & Zeppelin) who was inducted for his guitar contributions alone (Clapton was inducted for his all around performance). Led Zeppelin is the largest selling Rock Band (Beatles are more pop rock) of all time. They have broke all existing attendance records, and their records still stand in the States. All this and much more without the aid on promotion, television exposure, etc.. Their music spoke volumes. From Page's days as a sessions worker he became the most in demand guitarist in England, playing on 50-90% of all records recorded in London (or so legend has it). He was in my opinion the greatest riff creator ever as Zeppelin has countless songs that everyone would know. How many true hits can you list from great bands like The Jimi Hendrix Experience, Cream, The Stones, The Who, etc... Not nearly as much as Zeppelin. Page was so versitile, coming from his days as a sessions worker, he could play a wide range of styles and be great with all of them, he was never limited to one sound. Not to mention is legendary production abilities which only enhanced his works, i could go on and on.

As far as the Plant vs Mercury angle. Did you know that Plant was Mercury's favorite vocalist? Yes, Robert had a legendary swagger and might have invented what a true rock front man was suppsoed to be. Mercury was totally different, and great in his own way, a bit essentric to say the least. But when it comes to Vocal Range and ability, I believe Mercury is hands down the best and it blows my mind. I would certainly put Plant as 2nd, even though alot of people don't believe in rankings. Its the easiest way i can try to explain it.

Page is as much rewarded for his writing as much as his playing.( lets not get into the ARMS benefit debacles)Clapton is a 3 time inductee... The only one... Cream, Yardbirds, Solo... Stones also had more "hit" singles...

I agree that they are the best all around band of all time, but don't knock the other incredible artists...

I think this debate is a waste of time, but they are my favorite band of all time. I'm sure most of the people on this board would agree.

+1.

I'm glad We die hard Zep fans finally have an "official" place to congregate. I'm excited about all of this new Zeppelin activity. Wish I had had a golden ticket to O2!

Archived