Is "Led Zeppelin" the Greatest Band ever?

ZoSo88

My answer would be: Yes, they are. Led Zeppelin represent what Rock And Roll is. As they say, you search for Rock And Roll in the Encyclopedia and you find a picture of Led Zeppelin there XP

This is really weird for me, my favorite band EVER is Pink Floyd, however, they will never be remembered as the best band ever, because they were not rockstars. Led Zeppelin defined how a rockstar should look, what they should do, how they should act. Led Zeppelin is the ultimate band, full of passion, guitar riffs, excellent music. The most important, their music evolved as they did, getting better and better, more complex, but also with more of a concept... They really are the ultimate Rock And Roll band

Who ever said its hard to say becase they like Queen almost as much..you are right about how Queen for some reason lost appeal in the States, im not sure why. Personally they are my 2nd favorite band, the only ones that could rival Zepp in overall musical brilliance, and thats really what it comes down too. Please do not read me wrong, i am not trying to "knock" other bands or artists, i mean in no way to take away from them, I'm just comparing them to Zeppelin, and even though I believe Zepp is better, that doesnt mean the other bands are not good.

The reason the Stones had more hit singles is beacause they've released more of them, and we all know how Zepp was about releasing singles, they released so few, thats probably why their album sales are so ridiculously high. Each album was full of possible "hit" single material, that took a greater significance when put in the context of an album.

The Beatles are the best selling band ever, can't deny that..but Zepp knocked them out of the top spot and broke their world record attendance figure. They were quite over-exposed (no offense) and more of pop rock legends, and rock gods like Zepp where. Look at how many bands Zepp has influenced, its countless, and id argue even more then the Beatles, thats a matter of opinion.

The Stones are a little below LZ in album sales, even though they've been together WAY longer then LZ. And they have tarnished their legacy a bit with drawn out reunions, and albums and singles no one remembers, Zepp left at the top of their game.

Again, not meaning to insult these other legends, I have alot of respect for them. Just trying to put them in context when they are being thought of in a legendary sense along with LZ.

I know this question gets asked alot. And there is usually a wide range of opinions on the subject. Alot of people say music is subjective, and you cannot declare one band the best. Personally, I think that although music is subjective, it might be possible to pick a best band. Kind if like, most would agree that Michael Jordan is the greatest basketball player ever, there were other greats, some might disagree, but there is only one Michael Jordan. Thats how I view Led Zeppelin. In my opinion they are the greatest of all time and here is why...

I've always thought records sales are very telling. Accasionaly you will get a freak pop group like the "Spice Girls" who sell ALOT in a short period of time, then die off. This is not the case with Zeppelin and most of the greats are right at the top of the album sales list. Led Zeppelin is the 2nd best selling band world-wide and in the US (behind The Beatles). They have the largest average concert attendance in US history.

I concider Jimmy Page the greatest guitarist ever, ahead of Hendrix, Clapton, Beck, Santana, Slash, Van Halen, and everyone else.

Robert Plant I believe was at one point the greatest Rock vocalist ever, but now would only be below Freddie Mercury of Queen.

Bonzo is the greatest Rock Drummer ever, and JPJ is one of the most versitile musicians in Rock history.

But Zeppelin was greater then the sum of their parts. Now finally making their music catalog available for online download will boost album sales like we've never seen before. There were over 120 million registrations for the Zep Reunion, thats more then baby boomer Nostalgia. Stairway is the most played song in the history of American FM radio, and their list of accomplishments goes on and on.

But when it comes down to it, its their music that trancends everything. So what do you guys think? Perhaps Zep might be the greatest? Who would come close, and who should be mentioned along with them?

MUSIC IS NOT A SPORT.

all that matters is if you like them.

+1.

I'm glad We die hard Zep fans finally have an "official" place to congregate. I'm excited about all of this new Zeppelin activity. Wish I had had a golden ticket to O2!

I agree its great we have this most amazing website for all us die hards!!! I fully believe we will get a world wide tour I predicted one this past May!!! LET IT SO BE!!! Imma lovin' this new wesite its so exciting!!!

Led Zeppelin is the GREATEST BAND EVER...IMO. They are definitely the GREATEST LIVE BAND ever...bar none. I wish I had the opportunity to see them live in there heyday. I would have loved to have seen the 1973 tour or 1975 tour. The only band playing today that can compare (you cant really compare) to Zep for LIVE shows is TOOL.

Led Zeppelin is the GREATEST BAND EVER...IMO. They are definitely the GREATEST LIVE BAND ever...bar none. I wish I had the opportunity to see them live in there heyday. I would have loved to have seen the 1973 tour or 1975 tour. The only band playing today that can compare (you cant really compare) to Zep for LIVE shows is TOOL.

And everytime i think of Tool, first thing that comes to mind is their cover of No Quarter.

I feel so bad for JPJ. He was great in so many ways, playing bass, keys, arrangement, and everything, he was very much an important part to Zepp. Alot don't even know that he wrote the main riff for Black Dog and gave it to Jimmy. The only area i could critique him in was performance, the music he made was great, no doubt. But he often looked so sad, rarely moved, and had next to no sportlight. But thats okay because that just wasn't him. And when you play in a band with the other 3, especially Page & Plant on front stage, those two were such hardcore performers, its easy to get overshadowed.

Not really sure JPJ ever really craved the spotlight. His music did shined for him and made his presence felt. Too bad things went like they did at the end of the band. I think JPJ really shined on In Through The Out Door. He really turned in a great performance under, from what I understand, were less than ideal circumstances. And ITTOD was not my favorite album. In fact it took me a long time to fully appreciate it but, my 16 year old ears (then) knew that JPJ laid down some grat work. Jim

I agree its great we have this most amazing website for all us die hards!!! I fully believe we will get a world wide tour I predicted one this past May!!! LET IT SO BE!!! Imma lovin' this new wesite its so exciting!!!

I hope you're right about the tour.I think it's gonna happen.And, it's going to be amazing!

Who the hell says Led Zeppelin aren't the most influential band in the world? John Bonham and Jimmy Page alone have inspired millions upon millions, and they still are today - kids are hearing this stuff, it's amazing!! They are the best Rock band in the world, because they embody it.

Who the hell says Led Zeppelin aren't the most influential band in the world? John Bonham and Jimmy Page alone have inspired millions upon millions, and they still are today - kids are hearing this stuff, it's amazing!! They are the best Rock band in the world, because they embody it.

Agreed, and name another band that could even rival their influence? The Beatles? People say that alot but they were not as much a source of direct influence, you don't hear countless Beatles imitators anyway. The Beatles pioneered Rock and Roll and brought it into the spotlight. Led Zeppelin raised the bar so high, no one has even come close.

True I read somewhere, especially Jimmy Page so many guitarists of this time have been inspired by watching him perfrom live, I am forgetting who but a lot of the guitarists from popular metal bands today.

True I read somewhere, especially Jimmy Page so many guitarists of this time have been inspired by watching him perfrom live, I am forgetting who but a lot of the guitarists from popular metal bands today.

Allow me...

Eddie Van Halen who developed his tapping technique after seeing Page perform Heartbreaker live. Joe Perry of Aerosmith and Slash are Page diciples more of less and rock the Les Paul, and have shown much respect and credit Page imparticular. Even Prince credited Page directly as a main influence along with Hendrix, Sly Stone, and James Brown. Paul Stanely of Kiss played nothing but Kiss songs on one of his solo tours, with the exception of communication breakdown. Santana called Page the Stravinsky (bad spelling) of the Les Paul. Jonny Ramone credited the opening riff for Communication Breakdown as inspiring him to play guitar. Jonathan Davis of KoRn named his son Zeppelin. My god the list of their influence goes on and on.

Allow me...

Eddie Van Halen who developed his tapping technique after seeing Page perform Heartbreaker live. Joe Perry of Aerosmith and Slash are Page diciples more of less and rock the Les Paul, and have shown much respect and credit Page imparticular. Even Prince credited Page directly as a main influence along with Hendrix, Sly Stone, and James Brown. Paul Stanely of Kiss played nothing but Kiss songs on one of his solo tours, with the exception of communication breakdown. Santana called Page the Stravinsky (bad spelling) of the Les Paul. Jonny Ramone credited the opening riff for Communication Breakdown as inspiring him to play guitar. Jonathan Davis of KoRn named his son Zeppelin. My god the list of their influence goes on and on.

Haha very nice, bigger than my list, I think some people even wrote books or stories about how they were influenced, they got published in some magazines, going to take a while to find

Led Zeppelin's Influence (a rough list)

Jimmy Page's guitar work on Led Zeppelin;s hit "Heartbreaker" inspired Eddie Van Halen to become a guitarist. The solo helped inspire Eddie's Tapping technique. He was inspired when watch Page in concert in 1972.

Aerosmith has covered Led Zeppelin songs during concerts, sometimes ommiting the guitar solo's in respect to Page and in fear of not performing it properly.

Slash and Axl Rose claim that Led Zeppelin songs "Whole Lotta Love" and "Heartbreaker" to be the most heavy love songs ever created and state that they inspire to write songs of that quality yet fail every time. Slash is known for playing Zeppelin songs live.

Carlos Santana has covered Led Zeppelin songs such as "Whole Lotta Love" on occasion.

Lead Singer of Queen, Freddy Mercury's favorite vocalist was Robert Plant. Queen had covered Led Zeppelin in concert with their rendition of songs like "Immigrant Song". Roger Taylor claims "Rock and Roll" to be one of his favorite Zeppelin live classics.

Nirvana began their career by covering Led Zeppelin songs, most famous was their rendition of "Immigrant Song", "Dazed and Confused", and "Heartbreaker".

Korn was known to cover Led Zeppelin songs such as "Whole Lotta Love" and "Immigrant Song" early in their career. Jonathan Davis named his son Zeppelin.

The band Tool covered Led Zeppelin's song "No Quarter" which became a hit for them.

Paul Stanley of KISS had a brief solo career in which he performed only KISS songs with the exception of Led Zeppelin's "Communication Breakdown". KISS has covered "Whole Lotta Love" in concert.

Kirk Hammet of Metallica began listening to Led Zeppelin as a teenage which would later inspire him to get into music. Robert Trujillo also stated being turned on my "Stairway To Heaven" as a teenager in which him and his friends made religious ceremonies by listening to it backwards.

Ozzy Osborne claims that Led Zeppelin's first album is one of his all time favorite musical works.

Prince claims Jimmy Page to be one of his greatest influences. Prince has also covered Led Zeppelin songs in concert.

Members of Iron Maiden claim Led Zeppelin to be a big influence as they are even featured in the background of their first single.

Members of Judas Priest were influenced by Zeppelin and even opened from them during their final U.S. Concert.

Fred Durst of Limp Bizkit is a big fan of Jimmy Page and performed with him during the MTV awards.

Def Leppard modified their band name from "Deaf Leppard" in homage to Led Zeppelin "Lead Zeppelin formerly".

David Grohl of the (Foo Fighters/Nirvana) states John Bonham of Zeppelin as his greatest influence. He also has various Zeppelin tatoos over his body. Grohl offered to drop Foo Fighters to play drums for Zeppelin, if they wanted him.

RUSH's debut album is concidered to be highly dirivitive of Led Zeppelin.

John Frusciante of The Red Hot Chili Peppers claims to have used the into from "Over This Hills And Far Away" for the song "Wet Sand".

Heart, Van Halen, Jerry Lee Lewis, Brian Johnson (of AC/DC), and Velvet Revolver have convered "Rock and Roll" in concert.

The band Foregner was known to play the iconic intro from "Whole Lotta Love" in concerts.

The band Incubus had performed a live rendition of "Immigrant Song" on the Howard Stern Show.

Sabastian Bach has covered "Immigrant Song".

The Beastie Boys sampled the riff from "The Ocean" for their song "She's Crafty". They also sampled drum work from "When The Levee Breaks" for their song "Rhymin and Stealin".

Fort Minor sampled the song "The Ocean" for their song "Dolla".

Chester Bennington of Linkin Park has covered "Whole Lotta Love".

Sheryl Crow has cover the song "D'yer Ma'ker".

Led Zeppelin's Influence (a rough list)

Jimmy Page's guitar work on Led Zeppelin;s hit "Heartbreaker" inspired Eddie Van Halen to become a guitarist. The solo helped inspire Eddie's Tapping technique. He was inspired when watch Page in concert in 1972.

Aerosmith has covered Led Zeppelin songs during concerts, sometimes ommiting the guitar solo's in respect to Page and in fear of not performing it properly.

Slash and Axl Rose claim that Led Zeppelin songs "Whole Lotta Love" and "Heartbreaker" to be the most heavy love songs ever created and state that they inspire to write songs of that quality yet fail every time. Slash is known for playing Zeppelin songs live.

Carlos Santana has covered Led Zeppelin songs such as "Whole Lotta Love" on occasion.

Lead Singer of Queen, Freddy Mercury's favorite vocalist was Robert Plant. Queen had covered Led Zeppelin in concert with their rendition of songs like "Immigrant Song". Roger Taylor claims "Rock and Roll" to be one of his favorite Zeppelin live classics.

Nirvana began their career by covering Led Zeppelin songs, most famous was their rendition of "Immigrant Song", "Dazed and Confused", and "Heartbreaker".

Korn was known to cover Led Zeppelin songs such as "Whole Lotta Love" and "Immigrant Song" early in their career. Jonathan Davis named his son Zeppelin.

The band Tool covered Led Zeppelin's song "No Quarter" which became a hit for them.

Paul Stanley of KISS had a brief solo career in which he performed only KISS songs with the exception of Led Zeppelin's "Communication Breakdown". KISS has covered "Whole Lotta Love" in concert.

Kirk Hammet of Metallica began listening to Led Zeppelin as a teenage which would later inspire him to get into music. Robert Trujillo also stated being turned on my "Stairway To Heaven" as a teenager in which him and his friends made religious ceremonies by listening to it backwards.

Ozzy Osborne claims that Led Zeppelin's first album is one of his all time favorite musical works.

Prince claims Jimmy Page to be one of his greatest influences. Prince has also covered Led Zeppelin songs in concert.

Members of Iron Maiden claim Led Zeppelin to be a big influence as they are even featured in the background of their first single.

Members of Judas Priest were influenced by Zeppelin and even opened from them during their final U.S. Concert.

Fred Durst of Limp Bizkit is a big fan of Jimmy Page and performed with him during the MTV awards.

Def Leppard modified their band name from "Deaf Leppard" in homage to Led Zeppelin "Lead Zeppelin formerly".

David Grohl of the (Foo Fighters/Nirvana) states John Bonham of Zeppelin as his greatest influence. He also has various Zeppelin tatoos over his body. Grohl offered to drop Foo Fighters to play drums for Zeppelin, if they wanted him.

RUSH's debut album is concidered to be highly dirivitive of Led Zeppelin.

John Frusciante of The Red Hot Chili Peppers claims to have used the into from "Over This Hills And Far Away" for the song "Wet Sand".

Heart, Van Halen, Jerry Lee Lewis, Brian Johnson (of AC/DC), and Velvet Revolver have convered "Rock and Roll" in concert.

The band Foregner was known to play the iconic intro from "Whole Lotta Love" in concerts.

The band Incubus had performed a live rendition of "Immigrant Song" on the Howard Stern Show.

Sabastian Bach has covered "Immigrant Song".

The Beastie Boys sampled the riff from "The Ocean" for their song "She's Crafty". They also sampled drum work from "When The Levee Breaks" for their song "Rhymin and Stealin".

Fort Minor sampled the song "The Ocean" for their song "Dolla".

Chester Bennington of Linkin Park has covered "Whole Lotta Love".

Sheryl Crow has cover the song "D'yer Ma'ker".

Oh my, very beautiful list ^_^

I really hope this happens because Dave Grohl is my favourite drummer (Alive) and has inspired me to no end. He is an incredibly talented drummer, and I believe he "gets" music.

I really hope this happens because Dave Grohl is my favourite drummer (Alive) and has inspired me to no end. He is an incredibly talented drummer, and I believe he "gets" music.

Personally,I think Jason is the perfect person to fill that drum throne.I saw Him with Jimmy on the Outrider tour,and have always thought He was fantastic. I like D.G. too,but don't hear that Bonham groove in His playing. It's literally in Jason's blood. I saw Jason with Forigner a couple of years ago,and He was on fire!

Maybe the Foo Fighters can open for the Mighty Zeppelin next year,and Grohl can set in for a couple!Wishful thinking......

Of course they are, back then in the seventies, everything was Led Zeppelin, now it is happening again, and personally it is very, very exciting, it is nice to see adverts on TV, Billboards, and record shops with Mothership all over the windows. In my eyes they will always be the greatest group ever, their music fills my world.

Archived