Is "Led Zeppelin" the Greatest Band ever?

ZoSo88

I think this debate is a waste of time, but they are my favorite band of all time. I'm sure most of the people on this board would agree.

Yeah it would seem that we're just preaching to the choir in this setting. If you're going to join the official Led Zeppelin forums then you probably consider them to be in you top 3 favourite bands.

That being said, I'd still love to join this Led Zeppelin "high-five" session...

I certainly think that bands are comparable because of the historical context in which rock has unfolded. This is why I can say that Led Zeppelin is the best band to date.

Led Zeppelin is a band that is both the icing on the cake and the cake itself.

The cake being their wide talent and the icing being their wide success.

Many bands have had the talent but never reached their full potential. Led Zeppelin is still climbing in potential, and death could not stop them--27 years gone.

Many bands have had the success and not necessarily deserved it, due to whatever sensation or popular scheme that propelled them to the top at the time.

Led Zeppelin definitely deserves it. Their music is the definition of rock quality, which is probably due to the previous work experience of Jimmy Page and John Paul Jones. At the start of it all, I see Jimmy and JP as the kind of veterans to the rock/composing scene.

At first, Robert Plant and John Bonham are kind of like the ultra-talented rookies who mesh really well with the veterans. Musically, this is JP with Bonham, and Plant with Page. Put them all together and you've got a hell of an act.

They can strum and hit like bastards and put your kids to sleep on the next track. Hard to soft and everything in between, and some things you might not even expect in the traditional rock spectrum, but they do it all well.

Black magic? I don't think so.

Master engineers at compiling complete/whole sounding songs in ways like no other? Most certainly.

Actually no, I don't think Zeppelin is the greatest band ever. They're right up there without a doubt, but to say they were the best of the best is a stretch.

My personal favorite is The Who, but hey that's just me. I was lucky enough to see both bands in their prime and without any doubt, in my mind, The Who were the better band on stage.

I did sign up for these boards and this website because I really am a Zeppelin fan as well. I just don't think they were THE band. Zep was damned good though.........

Sorry.

Regards;

I respect that...but just as much respectfully disagree.

Zeppelin was the most successful, sold out the largest areas, sold the most records (besides the beatles), were the most influencial (again a matter of debate.), Had their own movie (that didn't suck...ie: The Wall no offense), Had the greatest combination of powerful members who had legendary chemistry. Queen was inducted as a band into the song writers HOF, Zeppelin is the only other group to even be nominated and will likely be inducted soon. This website that ranks these things put Zep as the 3rd best live act, with the Who 2nd, and Queen 1st...im fine with that. But all together, it comes down to the music, and their catalog was the most diverse, brilliant, thoughtful, and magical combination of music making ever created....period (in my opinion).

Actually if you take the Beatles record sales and divide by the albums and do the same for Zeppelin, you get a higher percent on Zeppelin sales, I haven't personally done this, but someone else has and they posted everything so it is legit.

well said. For me..id put Queen in 2nd as far as talent. Freddie Mercury was the most amazing vocalist i've ever heard. And the rest of the band were awsome singers...hall of fame song writers, excellent perforers, but we overshadowed by their charismatic front man. Songs like "we will rock you"we are the champions" "another one bites the dust" "crazy little thing called love" "bohemian rhapsody" and others could be concidered the most instantly reckognizable songs ever. But their sheer musical brilliance, and they could draw the largest crowds ever, i've only seen Led Zeppelin & Michael Jackson play larger venues. Their popularity was minimal in the States but phenominal worldwide. Very under rated band in some respects. And as far as lyrical content...my god. Id even be willing to play a little game. Someone name a song by The Beatles, the Who, Floyd, Stones, or whoever, and i bet i could find a queen song with superior lyrical content. I still but Zep as #1 though overall.

Hard to say who is the GREATEST BAND...they are my fave for sure...could possibly be considered the best because as someone pointed out earlier, each member can be considered to be in the top few of their instrument...

But as much as I like them as a group...IN MY OPINION...only one qualifies to be the best at what they do...all of this is jest my opinion though...

Singer: Roy Orbison and Steve Perry...2-way tie

Robert would easily fall into the top 10 list...possibly top 5...I have heard him miss some notes to where Simon might have to comment...Roy and Steve cannot be matched, however...completely different ends of the spectrum but both sitting in the same place...number one.

Guitaritst: Jimi Hendrix and Stevie Ray Vaughn...2-way tie, closest race

Jimmy is a very close third. I give Jimi the nod because of his innovation and Stevie Ray the nod because when he played the guitar, he became the guitar...I know of no other artist who KNEW his instrument as well as this man did his. Jimi's innovation far, far outpaces anything Jimmy, or anybody else for that matter, has come up with, although Jimmy's writing is superior. And Jimmy didn't drown in his own vomit of cheap wine and greasy chicken...so there are points there for Jimmy...this one was almost too close to call. Where Jimmy and his Les Paul were a powerful team, Stevie was his guitar...they were one.

Bass / Keyboards: Jaco Pastorious and Geddy Lee and John Paul Jones...3-way tie here

JPJ is number one in this category when you look at his writing and arrangements...JPJ is the unsung hero of Zep. He will NEVER get the acclaim he deserves...but we true Zeppers know the scoop. Thank you JPJ...thank you so much for being not only the catalyst but also the glue. Geddy and his Rickenbacher are just ridiculous...what a great sound. Jaco is the innovative one of the group...like Stevie Ray Vaughn...he knows his stuff...becomes the bass!

Drummer: Buddy Rich and Neil Peart

I know, I know...how dare I? Well, just go onto the internet and find some footage of these two giants of sound...Buddy Rich does tricks with sticks that I have seen no other drummer do... The best. But you have to give equal credit to Neil Peart. He can play a sock. Just dangle it in front of him. The man is a genius and truly is the professor of the drum kit. And, of course, Bonzo would be up there in the top 5...but I would hate to have to line him up with the likes of Keith Moon and Tommy Aldridge.

Hmmm...do I see two members of Rush as number one on their instruments? Don't worry, Zeppers... Although Rush is fantastic, they have not produced any masterpieces in 15-20 years... Sadly, they are not in the running for greatest band...

All hail the mighty Zep who bring us the Thunder of the Gods!

For vocalist: I'd put Mercury ahead of Plant, he has superior range, control, charisma, writing abilities, and stage presence. But Plant had a Superior voice, better then everyone else with a swagger unmatched.

For Guitarist: Page. Unrivaled Riff creating ability, inovative performer with double neck's and violin bows, wicked solos and unmatched stage presence. Not one record sounds the same, he could play all styles, and he contributed to the best band ever. I think Hendrix should be concidered, but where Page's "sloppy playing" had a humanistic flavor, Hendrix's was rough, he did not have many "great" songs, even though he died young. Carlos Santana, Slash, Van Halen, Brian May, Clapton, and Beck should also be noted..but none had it all like Page, and none contributed as much to something as significant as what Page accomplished in his career.

No offense to Stevie Vai, but how many of his songs can people actually name? How legendary are they? I'll give him tons of respect for being a great skilled player who knew his instrument, but rarely is the most complicated piece the best and he is more of an aquired taste. Still awsome, just no where near Page in my opinion.

For Bass: I could argue JPJ as much as anyone, for overall versitility and brilliance, but Bass draws a grey line, and its not my area of expertise.

For Drums: I honestly see no comparison. Bonzo, best rhythm, and a drummer who could draw your attention like no other, ive heard countless legends site him as being the best as well.

here is the difference between led zeppelin and every one else of their era including the beatles.When you listen to the radio stations on a golden oldies you will hear Dyer Maker, aswell as some beatles . When you listen to "classic rock stations" you will hear the whole catalog as well as the beatles, Stones,Floyd ,The Who. When you listen to a hard rock station you will hear Black dog or Over hills, or Whole Lotta Love or Achiles Last Stand and lots more.No beatles no stones no who maybe some floyd.When the other bands of that era are considered over the hill and far away some kid will be smoking is first joint to Black Dog. They are the best band ever, what they did is so fresh and new till this day.And they did it with little air play and very few interviews. they achieved all they have on their own terms.No band has ever come close. They were in their day the worlds largest "underground band". I heard it once said (dont remember where)that" led zeppelin was something that was passed between friends like a good joint" I believe it still is

Of course Zeppelin is the Greatest band ever. They always will be. They were the first to do al lthat they did, they set new limits and no band will ever beable to re-create what they did the way they did it. So, yes, no questions asked, Zeppelin is the greatest bamd ever.

that is just my opinion though.

Why do you not belive Page is the best, and who is better? I'll tell you why I believe he is the best. He was obviouly lead Guitarist for the most important/influencial/great (take your pick) Rock band of all time. He is the only double inductee into the Rock & Roll HOF (Yardbirds & Zeppelin) who was inducted for his guitar contributions alone (Clapton was inducted for his all around performance). Led Zeppelin is the largest selling Rock Band (Beatles are more pop rock) of all time. They have broke all existing attendance records, and their records still stand in the States. All this and much more without the aid on promotion, television exposure, etc.. Their music spoke volumes. From Page's days as a sessions worker he became the most in demand guitarist in England, playing on 50-90% of all records recorded in London (or so legend has it). He was in my opinion the greatest riff creator ever as Zeppelin has countless songs that everyone would know. How many true hits can you list from great bands like The Jimi Hendrix Experience, Cream, The Stones, The Who, etc... Not nearly as much as Zeppelin. Page was so versitile, coming from his days as a sessions worker, he could play a wide range of styles and be great with all of them, he was never limited to one sound. Not to mention is legendary production abilities which only enhanced his works, i could go on and on.

As far as the Plant vs Mercury angle. Did you know that Plant was Mercury's favorite vocalist? Yes, Robert had a legendary swagger and might have invented what a true rock front man was suppsoed to be. Mercury was totally different, and great in his own way, a bit essentric to say the least. But when it comes to Vocal Range and ability, I believe Mercury is hands down the best and it blows my mind. I would certainly put Plant as 2nd, even though alot of people don't believe in rankings. Its the easiest way i can try to explain it.

With all due respect, since Freddie died, I have heard that every singer under the sun was his favorite vocalist, including Paul Rodgers (according to Brian May). Freddie himself said he loved Liza Minelli and Monserrat Caballe (with whom he worked on the amazing Barcelona project). I also know that he loved John Lennon and Jimi Hendrix. Can you say where you saw or heard Freddie talk about Robert? I'd really be interested in seeing more on that if it is in fact true.

A lot of you people have very good arguments. I couldn't tell which band is the best one or the greatest ever, but I feel absolutely okay with Led Zeppelin being regarded as. As I do with the Beatles, but I also see that it is not the same style of music, so they could each be regarded as the best band in their designated genre.

Echoing what others have said on here - it's impossible to say who is the 'greatest', even though there are probably at least 5 or 6 deserving frontrunners for the accolade. What I do know is that Led Zeppelin, for whatever reason, are the band I personally love the most. And that's true of most other people on here. It's hard to describe but for me, something about their music meshes with my chemistry, reaches the parts other bands don't quite reach (or come close but don't quite have the full, um, package, as it were).

I'm currently taking a film class, and the other day we were discussing if there really is a 'best of' anything. I've always thought everything is mostly opinion. There will always be people who disagree with you (maybe not on this board, because it is a Led Zeppelin forum) but there's always going to be a percentage of people who don't feel the same way.

Archived