Are we all Anti-Stairway

McSeven

It's not that I'm anti-Stairway (not at all) but more of a "can't you play something else that's not usually played on the radio" opinion.

That being said, not too long ago STH came on the car radio while I was waiting for someone, and I sat there, closed my eyes & really listened to it for the first time in a long time. It was magical- what an amazing song!

I would never bash it or tire of hearing it and those who say they don't like it because its been played on the radio a lot are just following the media or anti Zep brigade. That excuse to me as Zep fans is the worst reason you could have for not liking it.

At least say you don't like it cos you simply don't like it :blink:

I don't really care if Robert doesn't like it or like singing it, to me it was, is and always will be a piece of historic classic rock music. Despite what RP says I don't believe even he can ignore it's place in musical history generally and of course in Led Zeppelin. It helped define the band and its music, so called albatross or not, I don't think or believe Jimmy or Jonesy have the same feelings about it Robert does.

Jimmy wrote a tune anyone would be proud of, if Robert is uncomfortable with his lyrics for it, thats fine. As he says it was then and he left the man who wrote them behind long ago.

The song still resonates for many people, ask people about Led Zeppelin who are not really fans and they all know the song. So what if its the only one they have heard or know. They KNOW it!! lets not be snobbish about it cos we know more songs than they do.

I remember being shaken by it the first time I heard it back in 1971, the intro still sends tingles through me and thats what matters, not whether anyone else does or doesn't. get the same response to it.

My late mum loved the song ( she heard every song they did and loved others too)

It's going to be played at my funeral. and that has always been my wish.

If some of you are anti STH then fine but lets not have a go at those who still love it.

B)

I'm not sure if everyone's really BASHING the song- I know I'm not. But when you hear it over and over and over again on the radio some of the magic is lost. But then again, as I noted earlier I still love to hear some of the better live versions. Particularly 6/23/77.

Great song, a classic indeed. But unfortunately, overexposed.

Well said! I couldn't agree more :yesnod:

No, I love Stairway. My favourite Zep song ever.

Hi 'lzfan715'

Not my favourite, none are, I love to listen to any Zepp song, anytime, any place, anywhere, they are my Martini. :thumbsup:

Even now, when ever I have seen a Zepp Tribute Band, everyone always wants to hear and applauds "Stairway", lets face it, its one of the songs that made them. And as for Robert not liking it anymore, so what, do we have to do or behave like he does? No I dont think so.

Regards, Danny

Hi 'lzfan715'

Not my favourite, none are, I love to listen to any Zepp song, anytime, any place, anywhere, they are my Martini. :thumbsup:

Even now, when ever I have seen a Zepp Tribute Band, everyone always wants to hear and applauds "Stairway", lets face it, its one of the songs that made them. And as for Robert not liking it anymore, so what, do we have to do or behave like he does? No I dont think so.

Regards, Danny

Yes Dan,you must do AND behave like Robert does or you're not playing on the same team.Folks who aren't team players will be cut.It's automatic grounds for dismissal.

BIG DANIEL? (if I may call you that)

You Sir, are hereby dimissed!!!!!!!! :D

Hi all,

Hi 'lzfan715'

Even now, when ever I have seen a Zepp Tribute Band, everyone always wants to hear and applauds "Stairway", lets face it, its one of the songs that made them. And as for Robert not liking it anymore, so what, do we have to do or behave like he does? No I dont think so.Regards, Danny

Hey Danny! :)

How many of you remember buying the album?

I went going with some friends to the record store(that's what they called back in the Sone Age! B) ,who were not into Zep and buying the album for that song!

I would not be one here and post if they were not my favorite band,....

The only time I will play STH,is on Christmas morning,coffee in hand,then I blast it! :thumbsup:

Pagey's solo on the Telly rips my heart strings,.........

KB(Merry Christmas,Led-heads!)

Hi all,

I went going with some friends to the record store(that's what they called back in the Sone Age! B) ,who were not into Zep and buying the album for that song!

The only time I will play STH,is on Christmas morning,coffee in hand,then I blast it! :thumbsup:

I was 14 when I bought the album. Threw it on the old stereophonic that mom and dad had and proceeded to watch both of them feel the hair on the back of their necks stand up, just like mine

The old man just looked at me and said " good song "....lol

Yes Dan,you must do AND behave like Robert does or you're not playing on the same team.Folks who aren't team players will be cut.It's automatic grounds for dismissal.

BIG DANIEL? (if I may call you that)

You Sir, are hereby dimissed!!!!!!!! :D

Hi 'Rorer714'

No you cant call me "BIG DANIEL", I'm "BIGDAN" and thats final, OK?

I'm a Jimmy fan, I only do and behave like Jimmy, singers are two a penny, I could listen to Zeppelin without Roberts voice, but not without Jimmys guitar.

And let me tell you mate, it will take someone with a name bigger than mine to dismiss me, till then I'll stick around, if its alright with you that is?

Regards, Danny

Hi all,

Hi Kev,

You and me are from the same egg mate, (Dinosaur egg that is)

And a Merry Christmas to you too.

Regards, Danny

Hi 'Rorer714'

No you cant call me "BIG DANIEL", I'm "BIGDAN" and thats final, OK?

I'm a Jimmy fan, I only do and behave like Jimmy, singers are two a penny, I could listen to Zeppelin without Roberts voice, but not without Jimmys guitar.

And let me tell you mate, it will take someone with a name bigger than mine to dismiss me, till then I'll stick around, if its alright with you that is?

Regards, Danny

Sorry BIGDAN

It's alright with me :P

Hi all,

I waited in line for several hours for the record store opening to get my copy. We got there before daylight ! :D

So, you don't frequent other band boards ? If another band wasn't your favorite you wouldn't be posting there, if you hold true to your statement. I think there may be alot of people here who Led Zeppelin isn't their favorite band, but still count them among the best and enjoy the board in general, not just the Zep content.

I post on a few band boards, even my second, third or fourth favorite. :)

I waited in line for several hours for the record store opening to get my copy. We got there before daylight ! :D

So, you don't frequent other band boards ? If another band wasn't your favorite you wouldn't be posting there, if you hold true to your statement. I think there may be alot of people here who Led Zeppelin isn't their favorite band, but still count them among the best and enjoy the board in general, not just the Zep content.

I post on a few band boards, even my second, third or fourth favorite. :)

Didn't have to worry about getting a copy so there was no need for me to get to the record store early. Just walked into 'Kelly's' and picked it up. I believe I paid $2.50 or something like that. I think I bought a few more albums that day but IV was the one I went for.

Didn't have to worry about getting a copy so there was no need for me to get to the record store early. Just walked into 'Kelly's' and picked it up. I believe I paid $2.50 or something like that. I think I bought a few more albums that day but IV was the one I went for.

Well there were only 2 stores in Honolulu that advertised that they would have it, so I made sure I got my copy as early as possible. There were sometime shortages on the islands back then, the West Coast teamsters or whateva's got lazy occasionally. I also did the same when Houses of the Holy came out in '73.

I paid about the same. You know, funny thing...kids today bitch about CD prices so they don't buy, only download. 25 years ago an album had about 35-40 minutes for say, $2.50. That same $2.50 would be about $20.00 now at least and CD's are what....$15 at the most and more time in general. The deals on CD's are way better than what we paid in the early 70s and moolah was harder to come by at minimum wage teenage jobs at about $1.75/hr.

Well there were only 2 stores in Honolulu that advertised that they would have it, so I made sure I got my copy as early as possible. There were sometime shortages on the islands back then, the West Coast teamsters or whateva's got lazy occasionally. I also did the same when Houses of the Holy came out in '73.

I paid about the same. You know, funny thing...kids today bitch about CD prices so they don't buy, only download. 25 years ago an album had about 35-40 minutes for say, $2.50. That same $2.50 would be about $20.00 now at least and CD's are what....$15 at the most and more time in general. The deals on CD's are way better than what we paid in the early 70s and moolah was harder to come by at minimum wage teenage jobs at about $1.75/hr.

Yeah, that's about what I was making working part time. I was still in High School, didn't have to pay rent at home at that time, and spent every single cent I made on albums and concerts Oh, and a few other goodies :D

Stairway is the greatest rock song of all time. I could play the studio version over and over for 100 times (and I sometimes do, well, maybe 50 times, LOL), and I would never tire of it. You get to the end of the song, and it is so uplifting, and you just want to hear it again just to get to the ending so you can get that high, and then you want to play it again, get the high, and then play it again, over and over. :D

I am thrilled everytime I hear it on the radio. Today at lunch it came on the Sirius Led Zeppelin Channel just as I arrived at the restaraunt and I couldn't get out of the car until it was over, even though I was on a tight schedule. I was thinking how ridiculous it was that I couldn't turn the song off as I have dozens of versions of the song on CD, vinyl, DVD, IPOD, etc..., but I just could not bear to miss hearing the ending.

Yeah, that's about what I was making working part time. I was still in High School, didn't have to pay rent at home at that time, and spent every single cent I made on albums and concerts Oh, and a few other goodies :D

Oh..and I meant 35 years ago ! :rolleyes:

Same here, matter of fact I still spend a big majority of my discretionary income on music in one way or the other, always have. :D

Oh..and I meant 35 years ago ! :rolleyes:

Same here, matter of fact I still spend a big majority of my discretionary income on music in one way or the other, always have. :D

Well, outside of the obvious hike in expencess that all of us have come to know well since those day's, I just realized that I'm spending the bulk of my disposable income on the same stuff too. :huh:

That's OK though, we could have joined the Moonies or something like that :D

Archived