Genesis

ledzep45

Big fan, and have been for years. The Gabriel era is my favorite, of course. But I also greatly enjoy the first couple of post - Gabriel albums as well. Trick of the Tail, Wind and Wuthering, And Then There were 3 are all excellent. Even Duke and Abacab have some strong moments. After that, though, I quickly lose interest.

Edited by Cletus

I am a huge Genesis fan! I got into them when Phil Collins started singing lead. I think Peter Gabriel was cool too, although I haven't heard a whole lot from that era. I think I need to do some serious catching up, LOL. I'd see all those weird outfits he would be wearing back then, hilarious!

I am a huge Genesis fan! I got into them when Phil Collins started singing lead. I think Peter Gabriel was cool too, although I haven't heard a whole lot from that era. I think I need to do some serious catching up, LOL. I'd see all those weird outfits he would be wearing back then, hilarious!

I would highly recommend checking out their earlier recordings. To me much more interesting than when Collins took over vocals. Duke and Abacab weren't bad, but then got way too commercial for me.

A friend of mine just wrote and published a book about the album Lamb Lies Down on Broadway. I will be purchasing it at some point.

Do wew think that they will get back together with the classic Gabriel lineup again next year ???...that would be cool and would like to see that :). The Collins lead lot did a few good things..ie some good songs but a bit polished, i saw them on a bill at Knebworth 1990 but it didn't really rock my boat.

But the pre 75lineup would great to see in my mind, my friend saw them twice with Gabriel and said they were geat..lets see if its going to happen.

Do wew think that they will get back together with the classic Gabriel lineup again next year ???...that would be cool and would like to see that :). The Collins lead lot did a few good things..ie some good songs but a bit polished, i saw them on a bill at Knebworth 1990 but it didn't really rock my boat.

But the pre 75lineup would great to see in my mind, my friend saw them twice with Gabriel and said they were geat..lets see if its going to happen.

Cool. My uncle a really big genesis fan and in the 70's he went up to london with his friend to see somebody (I can't remember who) and when they got their tickets, they were offered Genesis tickets for the lamb tour. Him and his friend wern't fans at the time so they said no. They were kicking themselves 6 months later. Gutted :P

Edited by ledzep45

I love Genesis, especially the 70-78 era. My favourite album is A Trick Of The Tail, fantastic album, Squonk, Dance On A Volcano, Ripples, Mad Man Moon etc, many fantastic songs. Selling England By The Pound is another favourite, I love the guitarsolo in Firth Of Fifth, and the guitars in Cinema Show, Dancing With The Moonlight Knightm is another great one from Selling England. I Know What I like is not my favourite. But the live version is nice. Foxtrot is another of my favourite albums, Watcher Of The Skies is a perfect opener on the album and Suppers Ready are a perfect closer. Can-Utility And The Coastliners is a very underrated track. The live album 'Live' is a great album, only five songs... I love the 'Live' Musical Box version, and the Knife version on Live is also fantastic. Steve's Knife solo is so cool! Seconds Out is another great live album, great set, Suppers Ready, Los Endos, Firth Of Fifth, The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway, etc. Burning Rope is a cool song, Mike's solo is great.

A Lamb reunion next year, thanks.

I would highly recommend checking out their earlier recordings. To me much more interesting than when Collins took over vocals. Duke and Abacab weren't bad, but then got way too commercial for me.

A friend of mine just wrote and published a book about the album Lamb Lies Down on Broadway. I will be purchasing it at some point.

Thanks ninelives, I will certainly have to go check out some of the earlier stuff.

One of my fav Gabriel-Genesis songs: I Know What I Like (In Your Wardrobe)

Great song, thanks for the link. B)

The Gabriel era Genesis is the only Genesis really worth listening to. The first 2 post Gabriel albums are just about bearable, but after that...

You have to listen to Supper's Ready from Foxtrot. It's simply stunning.

Incidentally, if you ever get the chance, go to see The Musical Box, the Genesis tribute band. It's the nearest you'll ever get to seeing the real thing unless a time machine is invented! Peter Gabriel has said he's taken his kids to see them, so they'd know what he used to be like. Genesis also gave them copies of the slides they used as backdrops for added authenticity.

The Gabriel era Genesis is the only Genesis really worth listening to. The first 2 post Gabriel albums are just about bearable, but after that...

You have to listen to Supper's Ready from Foxtrot. It's simply stunning.

Incidentally, if you ever get the chance, go to see The Musical Box, the Genesis tribute band. It's the nearest you'll ever get to seeing the real thing unless a time machine is invented! Peter Gabriel has said he's taken his kids to see them, so they'd know what he used to be like. Genesis also gave them copies of the slides they used as backdrops for added authenticity.

A mate of mine in Portugal has seen The Musical Box a few times and has said they are amazing as well.

Does anyone remember a rock version of Peter And The Wolf? It had Phil Collins ,Cozy Powell and Bill Bruford as the hunters...Manfred Mann was Peter,Brian Eno was the wolf.Alvin Lee was on it as well as Percy Jones.

Here's a link to the line-up.I haven't heard it since 81ish but I remember it as being a great compilation.It's worth checking out!

Edited by Rorer714

Does anyone remember a rock version of Peter And The Wolf? It had Phil Collins ,Cozy Powell and Bill Bruford as the hunters...Manfred Mann was Peter,Brian Eno was the wolf.Alvin Lee was on it as well as Percy Jones.

Here's a link to the line-up.I haven't heard it since 81ish but I remember it as being a great compilation.It's worth checking out!

I love the story of Peter and the Wolf :D There was no link in your post though ;)

http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=2387

Sorry Niner! I forgot to paste it. :slapface:

:D It's okay.

What I listened to via the other link is very cool! I'd be curious to hear the whole thing for sure. Funny because the recording I have has Sean Connery narrating against a very traditional orchestral arrangement so the contrast is pretty wild to this.

:D It's okay.

What I listened to via the other link is very cool! I'd be curious to hear the whole thing for sure. Funny because the recording I have has Sean Connery narrating against a very traditional orchestral arrangement so the contrast is pretty wild to this.

A good friend of mine(who was a huge Genesis fan) turned me onto it in 81.We listened to that album numerous times!

I turned him onto Zep III and gave him a 45 of HHWCID to keep with it.I talked to him and his wife recently and he still has the 45 in the III sleeve!

Seeing this thread reminded me of it and I looked it up.I will be buying it soon.

I love 'Ripples' off A Trick of The Tail, hard to pick a bad song off the album, they're all fantastic.

If i had to pick one song that is my very favorite (out of the thousands i love) it would be "Ripples". After listening to this song since i was a teenager, it still makes me cry. The music is so beautiful and it gives me a feeling of longing and loss that overcomes me.

I have loved Genesis since 1978 and they still rank in my top 5 all time favorite bands. My favorite albums are the ones Phil Collins sings lead on (Wind and Wuthering, Trick of the Tail, And Then There Were Three, and Duke) are my favs. I also love Selling England By The Pound, The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway, Foxtrot (Peter, of course). I love all rest, too, but these are my tops.

Sadly i have only seen Genesis live once in concert, and Peter Gabriel on his "So" tour. I love the Phil Collins songs, especially his "heavier" first few solo albums, and all of Peter Gabriels solo stuff.

This is a band that will always be in my heart and soul...i wish they would all get together for a tour.

Edited by ~tangerine~