Zep members in school

danelectro59

I've read some bio's on the boys, but notice there is little info on their youth. One thing that i've wondered is how good were they academically? I've always considered Jimmy to be the smartest of the lot, and unfortunately, Bonzo to be the least. I could be dead ass wrong, though. So does anyone know how these guys stacked up as students?

Robert has said that he was more concerned with girls than school work. I imagine that he was an average student. I think they were all very bright well read people, still are. That generation is very lucky, I think they have gotten one of the least educations of our times.

Robert has said that he was more concerned with girls than school work. I imagine that he was an average student. I think they were all very bright well read people, still are. That generation is very lucky, I think they has gotten one of the least educations of our times.

:huh::lol:

One of John Bonham's early school reports supposedly said: 'He will either end up as a dustman or a millionaire'. Take what you will from that.

Jimmy was noted to be quite good at sports (hurdling), not too sure how academic he was. I imagine he was an intelligent pupil, though it's safe to say, the guitar consumed much of his attention. I'm sure he left school around 14/5, which was normal in those days for those who didn't want to further their education or weren't academic enough to carry on 'til 16. He was apparently interested in science, and did attend an interview for a job as a laboratory assistant. At 13/4 he mentioned on Huw Wheldon's show that he wanted to go into 'biological research'.

I imagine both Robert and John Paul are intelligent, as well. Robert was training for a while to be an accountant, or something like that, and John Paul apparently learnt the piano at 6, went to boarding school, and was choirmaster at 14. He studied music formally at boarding school. It's safe to assume he wasn't intellectually 'challenged'.

I was reading a Jimmy Page unauthorized biography and I read that Page dropped out of school to focus for music is that true? Is there any evidence to back that up?

When Jimmy and his parents returned to Feltham in 1953 he attended Hanworth Road School.

On October 12, 1953 he was admitted as a transfer student to Pound Lane School in Epsom (his family had moved from Feltham to escape the aircraft noise from nearby Heathrow Airport).

Jimmy was a student at Dane Tree School (also in Epsom) until the age of 15 or 16 ('58-'59).

In 1960, having left Neil Christian and The Crusaders, Jimmy enrolled in Sutton Art College and studied there off and on for about 18 months before dropping out to

become a session guitarist.

Robert has said that he was more concerned with girls than school work...

"It was decided by my teachers that I was intelligent but unwilling to concentrate," said Robert. "I do remember being a kid in short pants at Christmas time looking into the mirror and singing "Hound Dog".

"At thirteen, I liked girls all of a sudden and it all came down to attracting them the best way I could. So I grew my hair. It flopped down over my ears and was immediately chopped off by demand. I forgot about lessons for the next few years and kept joining pop groups."

"It was really hard to combine school and the clubs and keep a compatible relationship with schoolmasters and parents, at the same time as getting into what I really wanted to do..."

"You can go to a grammar school and never see the light of day again for the rest of your life. The moment you pass you 11-plus exams, it could be all finished for you..."

From http://ledzeppelin.alexreisner.com/plant.html

• 3 years later...

One of Jimmy Page's art professors has died, Mr. Christopher Clairmonte, aged 80. The Daily Telegraph publishes an obituary:

"One of his early jobs was at Sutton College of Arts, where a young Jimmy Page (later lead guitarist with Led Zeppelin) was among his students. When Page failed to turn up to one too many lectures, an exasperated Clairmonte issued an ultimatum: choose between the paintbrush and the guitar."

http://www.telegraph...Clairmonte.html

One of Jimmy Page's art professors has died, Mr. Christopher Clairmonte, aged 80. The Daily Telegraph publishes an obituary:

"One of his early jobs was at Sutton College of Arts, where a young Jimmy Page (later lead guitarist with Led Zeppelin) was among his students. When Page failed to turn up to one too many lectures, an exasperated Clairmonte issued an ultimatum: choose between the paintbrush and the guitar."

And so he chose both!

post-20397-0-95940600-1345341233_thumb.j

• 2 months later...

It was a roadie who accidentally painted it over it, right? It's sad, because it was a fine image of Jimmy's talent

Jimmy said it was a friend. I don't know about it being a roadie. He said he saved the neck and I think he said it's on a guitar he used in the Firm. I would love to see more of Jimmy's artwork -- if he'll ever let anyone see it. I read he did more.

• 7 months later...

...Sutton Art College interior view, the atmosphere...Guitar ever present, waiting for Jimmy!! here are some bands playing inside the Sutton Art College, circe 1963...

deadbeatssuttonac1963_zps8b6c8498.jpg

The Deadbeats playing Sutton Art College...

Interview Link...with photos..

http://psychedelicbaby.blogspot.ca/2012/05/bedlam-interview-with-dave-ball.html

When Jimmy and his parents returned to Feltham in 1953 he attended Hanworth Road School.

On October 12, 1953 he was admitted as a transfer student to Pound Lane School in Epsom (his family had moved from Feltham to escape the aircraft noise from nearby Heathrow Airport).

Jimmy was a student at Dane Tree School (also in Epsom) until the age of 15 or 16 ('58-'59).

In 1960, having left Neil Christian and The Crusaders, Jimmy enrolled in Sutton Art College and studied there off and on for about 18 months before dropping out to

become a session guitarist.

Thank You Steve

• 1 year later...

"It was decided by my teachers that I was intelligent but unwilling to concentrate," said Robert. "I do remember being a kid in short pants at Christmas time looking into the mirror and singing "Hound Dog".

"At thirteen, I liked girls all of a sudden and it all came down to attracting them the best way I could. So I grew my hair. It flopped down over my ears and was immediately chopped off by demand. I forgot about lessons for the next few years and kept joining pop groups."

"It was really hard to combine school and the clubs and keep a compatible relationship with schoolmasters and parents, at the same time as getting into what I really wanted to do..."

"You can go to a grammar school and never see the light of day again for the rest of your life. The moment you pass you 11-plus exams, it could be all finished for you..."

From http://ledzeppelin.alexreisner.com/plant.html

Plant attended a grammar school; these were college preparatory secondary schools with a rigorous curriculum. Entrance was usually by exam. I think his teachers got it right. He's an intelligent man but the grammar school curriculum probably bored him so he didn't apply himself. His comment about "never seeing the light of day again" may refer to the study hours grammar school pupils had to put in if they wanted to academically excel. As he got more into music that would have cut into his study time.

• 4 months later...

Archived