THE STEELY DAN THREAD

ZeppFanForever

How's it going fellow die hard hard core ZEPPELIN fanatics? We're getting closer to New Years Eve and New Years Day huh? My next thread is a tribute to another one of the all-time greatest bands to arise from the 1970's. I hope that you enjoy reading it.

STEELY DAN will forever go down in Rock n' Roll history and be remembered as contributors for writing and recording some of Rock's all-time greatest classic songs ever to come out of the 1970's. Many of their legendary songs from the 1970's sold in the millions and still counting. And because of this, STEELY DAN has continued successfully in recording and releasing great albums and solid hit songs and entertaining audiences the world over since the 1970's. STEELY DAN'S music is without a doubt, a true testament of the genius and sheer talent of two original founders, mainstays and brain children of one of the greatest bands ever. STEELY DAN is also a fine fitting tribute to a great legendary band done good. Their music is their story.

STEELY DAN was born in Los Angeles, California in 1972 consisting of two main founding members: Donald Fagen from New York and Walter Becker from New Jersey. Fagen and Becker would meet in 1967 while attending Bard College in upstate New York. Fagen would graduate in 1969 with a Degree in English Literature and Becker would later drop out of college. As fate would have it, Becker would not need a Degree to succeed in life, music would be his and Fagen's key in making it successfully.

After serving as tour musicians with JAY AND THE AMERICANS and trying their hand as staff writers at ABC-Dunhill Records in L.A., they formed STEELY DAN in 1972 as an outlet for a growing backlog of offbeat, original material that no one else seemed inclined to record.

In the beginning, STEELY DAN was an actual band with the line-up consisting of Fagen, Becker, Guitarist's Denny Dias and Jeff "Skunk" Baxter (THE DOOBIE BROTHERS) and Drummer Jim Hodder. This configuration line-up would record the "CAN'T BUY A THRILL," "COUNTDOWN TO ECSTACY" and the "PRETZEL LOGIC" albums respectively. Though Dias remained on board through 1977's masterpiece album entitled "AJA," STEELY DAN were almost completely Fagen's and Becker's fiefdom by the time the "KATY LIED" album, their fourth album was recorded and released.

On record, the duo of Fagen and Becker recruited the cream of L.A.'s Jazz-Pop studio scene including Michael McDonald (THE DOOBIE BROTHERS), Victor Feldman, Jeff Porcaro, David Paich and Jazz Stal warts like David Sanborn, Tom Scott, Michael Brecker, Larry Carlton, Chuck Rainey, Bernard Pudie, Phil Woods and Wayne Shorter.

STEELY DAN'S Music speaks for itself. When you think of STEELY DAN, you think of the 70's hit songs such as "Rikki Don't Lose That Number," "Reeling In The Years," "Do It Again," "Peg," "Josie," "Deacon Blues" and "FM" to name a few.

Which brings us up to today. STEELY DAN is here to stay! STEELY DAN has successfully continued in recording and releasing great albums to this very day. Rock n' Roll definitely needs a great band like STEELY DAN in order to keep the glorious tradition of Rock n' Roll sounding beautiful and giving Rock n' Roll a new breath of fresh air when needed. STEELY DAN would also receive the ultimate highest honor by being inducted into the Rock n' Roll Hall Of Fame in 2001. I know for fact that we have not seen or heard the last of STEELY DAN. This legendary band still has so much to accomplish and contribute to the Rock n' Roll world that I cannot imagine Rock n' Roll without a legendary band like STEELY DAN. And as the saying goes, "AND THE REST IS ROCK N' ROLL HISTORY," am I wrong? KEEP ON ROCKIN' STEELY DAN! ROCK ON!

Edited by ZeppFanForever

How's it going "ally?" After the huge success of THE THREE DOG NIGHT THREAD, I get the feeling that a lot of fellow ZEPPELIN fanatics are going to be STEELY DAN fans as well. ROCK ON!

I'm good thanks. Hope you are too :) It wouldn't suprise me either B)

AJA my favorite album. :D

How's it going "PennyLane?" STEELY DAN'S masterpiece AJA album from 1977 should rank as one of the all-time greatest albums ever. I have the AJA album in the ORIGINAL MASTER RECORDING 24 KT. GOLD ULTRADISC series on CD by Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab (MFSL). Believe me when I tell you that the MFSL version sounds unbelievable. You have to hear it to believe it. ROCK ON!

Steely Dan was never one of my favorite groups, but I got to admit I did go see them twice, once with Beck, Bogert and Appice. Jeff "Skunk" Baxter was still playing guitar at the time and Reelin' in the Years and Do it Again were big hits. After Baxter left and they mellowed out, I really couldn't stand them anymore. But damn, the chicks sure loved them, so they did something right :D

Steely Dan was never one of my favorite groups, but I got to admit I did go see them twice, once with Beck, Bogert and Appice. Jeff "Skunk" Baxter was still playing guitar at the time and Reelin' in the Years and Do it Again were big hits. After Baxter left and they mellowed out, I really couldn't stand them anymore. But damn, the chicks sure loved them, so they did something right :D

How's it going "danelectro59?" You ain't lying, I met a lot of chicks at a STEELY DAN concert in L.A. during the late 1970's. What a treat that was for me. ROCK ON!

How's it going "ally?" After the huge success of THE THREE DOG NIGHT THREAD, I get the feeling that a lot of fellow ZEPPELIN fanatics are going to be STEELY DAN fans as well. ROCK ON!

Hey ZFF, you know it! This might not be his best but it has a special place in my past :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKTaCL8bEz4...feature=related

Steely Dan Jazz Fest New Orleans 2007

a3632_11785405121.jpg

a3632_11785405122.jpg

Since Steely Dan weren't a tourig band, i never saw them live. I know they did finally tour sometime recently, but unfortunately i haven't been to many concerts since becoming a mommy. I did however see Donald Fagan in concert sometime in the late 80's (had a bf who was into new age type jazz as well as rock music). I'm pretty sure it was a the Valley Forge Music Fair, a small venue, and we had seats very close to the stage.

I grew up enjoying their music. Fave songs would be Dirty Work, The Fez, Rikki Don't Lose That Number, Reeling In The Years, My Old School, Show Biz Kids, Black Cow, Don't Take Me Alive, Kid Charlemagne, Any Major Dude Will Tell You...

Julian Lennon is a Steely Dan fan (trivia)

Since Steely Dan weren't a tourig band, i never saw them live.

Actually during their first couple of years DID tour. Maybe you were too young or not even born yet to be aware of that at the time.

I have a couple of live shows they did in 1974 and they're great as a smaller combo. I enjoyed up through Gaucho and then they're DVD they did later on.

I think overall my favorite is Pretzel Logic. Parker's Band, Through with Buzz, Night by Night and Monkey in your Soul. Second would be Countdown to Ecstacy and that Rick Derringer solo on Show Biz Kids. Fantastic.

Who was it that said the solo the guest guitarist, Elliot Randall did on Reelin' in the Years was their all time favorite?

Was it Jimmy Page? B)

Since Steely Dan weren't a tourig band, i never saw them live. I know they did finally tour sometime recently, but unfortunately i haven't been to many concerts since becoming a mommy. I did however see Donald Fagan in concert sometime in the late 80's (had a bf who was into new age type jazz as well as rock music). I'm pretty sure it was a the Valley Forge Music Fair, a small venue, and we had seats very close to the stage.

I grew up enjoying their music. Fave songs would be Dirty Work, The Fez, Rikki Don't Lose That Number, Reeling In The Years, My Old School, Show Biz Kids, Black Cow, Don't Take Me Alive, Kid Charlemagne, Any Major Dude Will Tell You...

Julian Lennon is a Steely Dan fan (trivia)

How's it going "~tangerine~?" I'm glad that you are a STEELY DAN fan. They recorded so many great songs but my favorites are "Do It Again," "Rikki Don't Lose That Number," "Reeling In the Years," "Peg," "Josie," "Deacon Blues" and "Black Cow" to name a few. As for being a STEELY DAN fan, Julian Lennon was highly influenced by STEELY DAN. ROCK ON!

Actually during their first couple of years DID tour. Maybe you were too young or not even born yet to be aware of that at the time.

I have a couple of live shows they did in 1974 and they're great as a smaller combo. I enjoyed up through Gaucho and then they're DVD they did later on.

I think overall my favorite is Pretzel Logic. Parker's Band, Through with Buzz, Night by Night and Monkey in your Soul. Second would be Countdown to Ecstacy and that Rick Derringer solo on Show Biz Kids. Fantastic.

Who was it that said the solo the guest guitarist, Elliot Randall did on Reelin' in the Years was their all time favorite?

Was it Jimmy Page? B)

How's it going "gadgetguru?" You definitely know your STEELY DAN well. COOL! I must confess, I do not remember if it was Jimmy Page or not. I'll have to dig through some research and find out. I promise that I'll let everyone know if it was Jimmy Page or not. ROCK ON!

I used to listen to them a lot. I've got the whole catalogue but I'd probably say Gaucho and Aja got the most airplay. More due to the fact that's how I discovered them, and then went backwards to hear their early stuff.

As an aside, when I was in high school marching band, we played Peg at halftime :D

I was too young, and my first concert wasn't until the summer of 1979 (just barely a teenager). Anyway, i know fans of Steely Dan were always hoping for "tours" over the large part of their career. They could have and should have done "some". There are plenty of musicians that would have loved to go on the road with them. :)