THE STEELY DAN THREAD

ZeppFanForever

They really should make another album...been ten years since the last one; Fagen's made two solo albums and Becker's done one in that time period, so it's not like they're not composing or running out of ideas or anything. As great as Sunken Condos was, it would have been that much better with Walter Becker's input. They're touring again this year, which is great of course, but without any new material to promote/play, I can't see the Dan's 2013 tour (again, only one Canadian date, goddamnit!) being anything other than a rehash of the 2009/2011 gigs. Playing Aja or The Royal Scam in their entirety was fantastic in 2009; a bit of the same old same old in 2011...if they do it again (no pun intended) in 2013...yawn...

• 2 years later...

Just saw this today and thought it was really interesting. I'm not a musician or songwriter but I am fascinated by how music is created (and I really enjoy that album; it was one of the first I ever bought).

How Steely Dan Created Deacon Blues

http://www.wsj.com/articles/how-steely-dan-created-deacon-blues-1441727645

Just saw this today and thought it was really interesting. I'm not a musician or songwriter but I am fascinated by how music is created (and I really enjoy that album; it was one of the first I ever bought).

How Steely Dan Created Deacon Blues

http://www.wsj.com/articles/how-steely-dan-created-deacon-blues-1441727645

Nice article...I love "Deacon Blues", probably my favourite song on the album.

• 1 year later...

This sucks. Steely Dan is one of my favorite bands and the combo of Fagan / Becker was a dream. Becker was another one of those underrated guitarists, writers. producers. Gaucho almost broke the man but he came back strongly after a hiatus.

Another great gone too soon.

This is fucking devastating...my wife and I both love the Dan. Becker was a great guitarist- in spite of all the great Skunk, Carlton, Randall etc guitar solos on the albums Becker still got his licks in- "Black Friday", "Bad Sneakers", "Home At Last" to name a few. It was sad to see how he'd deteriorated near the end there, waddling to the microphone, noodling guitar solos all over the place. Hate to say it, but when I got the news (no pun intended) today about Walter's passing I wasn't really surprised. Shit, like so many others the fuckin' guy shoulda been dead fourty years ago...

RIP Walter Becker. RIP Steely Dan, 'cos you can't have the Dan without Becker. Becker and Fagen were the American Lennon/McCartney.

1 hour ago, Mook said:

Gutted, I had to listen to The Royal Scam last night, there is so much going on in those songs.

Pretty much everything they did in the 70s was pure class, I've not really listened to the stuff from Goucho onwards.

If you liked 70's Dan -particularly Aja and Gaucho- you'd probably like The Nightfly, Fagen's first solo album. It's basically a Becker-less Steely Dan album (same musicians, sound, producer etc). As for the two SD "reunion" albums, they're alright, a little bit too smooth in places maybe- you can lash together an album on par with their 70's stuff by taking the best songs off of Two Against Nature and Everything Must Go

42 minutes ago, Nutrocker said:

If you liked 70's Dan -particularly Aja and Gaucho- you'd probably like The Nightfly, Fagen's first solo album. It's basically a Becker-less Steely Dan album (same musicians, sound, producer etc). As for the two SD "reunion" albums, they're alright, a little bit too smooth in places maybe- you can lash together an album on par with their 70's stuff by taking the best songs off of Two Against Nature and Everything Must Go

Thanks for the tip, I'll give The Nightfly a go.

It has come up on my Amazon recommendations but I'm always a bit scared to dip my toe in the water with 80s stuff because the production tends to be so bad (generally speaking).

I only re-bought AJA last week, had not heard it in a while so I thought it about time it was back in my collection I only paid £3.50, it turns out according to Discogs my new copy is a saught after edition that goes for up to £40, deal, methinks..

Edited by JTM

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...