In the Evening lyrics

4urlife

6 hours ago, TheStairwayRemainsTheSame said:

How do you know how he took it?

I've never seen that documented ANYWHERE

For one thing, even in the depths of his addiction he wore short sleeve shits on occasion yet no track marks. Of course a person can shoot it elsewhere, most IV addicts use the arms until the veins collapse before moving onto other locations such as between the toes. Then again you are correct, I don't know for sure, maybe he shot it into his dick hole.

Also, I heard it mentioned, as Steve said, on a circumstantial basis from several sources.

Anyway, that was really not my point, I was just replying to another post about the possible meaning to a particular lyric. My point was Robert takes pride in his use of double meaning and obfuscating in general within his compositions. Robert is on record, most recently in the Dan Rather interview stating such.

22 minutes ago, IpMan said:

For one thing, even in the depths of his addiction he wore short sleeve shits on occasion yet no track marks. Of course a person can shoot it elsewhere, most IV addicts use the arms until the veins collapse before moving onto other locations such as between the toes. Then again you are correct, I don't know for sure, maybe he shot it into his dick hole.

Also, I heard it mentioned, as Steve said, on a circumstantial basis from several sources.

Anyway, that was really not my point, I was just replying to another post about the possible meaning to a particular lyric. My point was Robert takes pride in his use of double meaning and obfuscating in general within his compositions. Robert is on record, most recently in the Dan Rather interview stating such.

I would just like to know what sources state he snorted heroin. After years into extensive search into the man I've never seen a source specifying it was definitely snorted so I'm just trying to see what I've missed?

10 minutes ago, IpMan said:

:D My guess is that Page was chasing the dragon and doing speed balls...thats what I'd be doing anyways. :D 

It should be noted that Plant was a coke addict until the day his son died, and Bonham was probably doing more crazy shit than Page was.

Personally, I've never paid much attention to Zeppelin's lyrics because to me it was always about just the unique sound of his voice, his phrasing and delivery and of course that Plant mystique that permeated every Zeppelin album. I don't care about the lyrics to STH, Kashmir, ALS, Carouselambra, or most of their songs to be honest. It just sounds fucking cool! And that, you can't beat.

However, when I listen to Steely Dan I'm always wondering what the fuck their songs are about because their lyrics were so fucking amazing. And ya' know what....? they were chasing the dragon too!

Time Out of Mind

Well from what we know a syringe is the fastest route to get where you need to be for most
heroin addicts,   however not every smack abuser goes on to use needles.    Like lpMAN said,  
Page didn't exactly have glaring track marks or bruises on his arms,    so smoking or snorting
would be the next logical guess.   I can't say in stone the method he chose,    but Page
demonstrated in a handful of interviews even well after he quit -- he used his nasal cavity to get
high.  

I listened a few years back to an audio interview he did in '77  I assume from his hotel room,  
and although you can't visually see him,  you definitely hear  the effects on his nasal
passageway.  You can hear him sniffing about and his nose sounds to be dripping.  He also
sounds like he's nodding out in the middle of the interview.  You need earbuds because the
sound quality is very poor due to Page talking so softly.   I could be wrong so don't use that as
clear indicator.  

There have been many things written about  Page's use of drugs and other activity that was
done on the road.  It's not a far stretch to think the words "syringe,  arm,  inject,  needle, Jimmy"
would have been mentioned  in the countless amounts of material written about him.   From
1977-1983 it took a toll on his personal appearances,  e.g  teeth,  weight loss,   yet nothing ever
said about Page's arms looking marked up?  Cole in one of his books I think would have said
something.

As for what the song is about?  All the above and none of the above.  Too bad Plant wouldn't 
give a clear cut answer. 

To me the song that really is Plant singing about this is Carouselambra, not In the Evening. Plant said "the whole story of the band in its later years is in that song, and I can't even hear the words" (Trampled Underfoot, p. 409).

The more I listen to the lyrics, the more it sounds like a song about addiction to me. Though it could go either way and it is quite likely Robert intended it to have a double meaning.

On 3/20/2018 at 1:03 AM, TheStairwayRemainsTheSame said:

I would just like to know what sources state he snorted heroin. After years into extensive search into the man I've never seen a source specifying it was definitely snorted so I'm just trying to see what I've missed?

What difference does it make?

This is as pedantic as the guy who keeps starting new threads just to ask what time a gig started. 

2 hours ago, IpMan said:

The more I listen to the lyrics, the more it sounds like a song about addiction to me. Though it could go either way and it is quite likely Robert intended it to have a double meaning.

It sounds to me like a variation on the theme explored in Fool In The Rain...loneliness...a difficult or uncooperative woman...time...the elements...chance.

2 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

What difference does it make?

This is as pedantic as the guy who keeps starting new threads just to ask what time a gig started. 

image.jpeg.7016d3bd1fc43d7e7670170afb343a9e.jpeg

To be fair that guy is making a screenplay apparently..

I'm just curious as to where Ipman has heard or read it was taken via the nose. As I've never seen that in print or in an interview by anyone, anywhere...

6 hours ago, TheStairwayRemainsTheSame said:

image.jpeg.7016d3bd1fc43d7e7670170afb343a9e.jpeg

To be fair that guy is making a screenplay apparently..

I'm just curious as to where Ipman has heard or read it was taken via the nose. As I've never seen that in print or in an interview by anyone, anywhere...

Could the "snort sound" in Carouselambra be a hint?

Also, if you watch Jimmy in any interview, about every 30 seconds he checks to see if his nose is still there.

6 hours ago, No Quota said:

Could the "snort sound" in Carouselambra be a hint?

Also, if you watch Jimmy in any interview, about every 30 seconds he checks to see if his nose is still there.

Well it'd be embarrassing if it wasn't.

• 5 weeks later...
2 hours ago, middlezep said:

"its lonely at the bottom, and its dizzy at the top, but if your standing in the middle, theres no way your gonna stop" 

Maybe the only advice ever in a led zep song

I'm telling you now, the greatest thing you ever can do now,
Is trade a smile with someone who's blue now,

9 hours ago, middlezep said:

Maybe the only advice ever in a led zep song

Hots on for Nowhere has some.

I don't ask that my field's full of clover
I don't moan at opportunity's door
And if you ask my advice, take it slower
Let your story be your finest reward 

Now and then you've got to take time to pause
When you're down on the ground, don't be messin' around
Or you'll land in a boat without oars

And in For Your Life

Oh baby, if you fake it, mama
Baby, fake with all your might 
When you fake it, mama 
Please fake it right (for yourself babe)
When you fake it baby
You're fakin' it for your life, for your life

Archived