Yet another "one hit wonder" thread...

Zepaholic

Wildfire - Michael Murphy

I know that's the song he's probably best known for but Geronimo's Cadillac was also pretty successful. He's also done a series of Western albums in recent years that have been very well received. Oddly enough, when he started acting he had to start using his middle name (Martin) in order to avoid confusion with another actor also named Michael Murphey.

I've been saving ones that I've heard on XM in a spreadsheet

I don't think of them really as one hit wonders - Wild Thing was also huge.

I know that's the song he's probably best known for but Geronimo's Cadillac was also pretty successful. He's also done a series of Western albums in recent years that have been very well received. Oddly enough, when he started acting he had to start using his middle name (Martin) in order to avoid confusion another actor also named Michael Murphey.

I didn't know he was still recording albums. I've not heard Geronimo's Cadillac either. I'll have to go look that up. Wildfire always made me tear up - it seemed so sad :lol:

Outstanding contributions, folks..

A couple of more beauties...Bill Withers

Edit: messed up your quote Zepaholic...

I can't stand that song, but i do love "Lean On Me" also by Bill Withers :)

Some favorites from the 80s (US one hit wonders at least; not sure about internationally) :) :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m571d_DbWZo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_f8Sser_DJU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rP2h16m8X1Y

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GylirgHFqeQ

Lots more where these came from :)

:o Damn! Virginia,

You're making me feel old!

Well when I was a teen you couldn't turn the radio on without hearing this one :rolleyes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rS1jrTNJRMA

That's cool and it's beyond my comprehension why i like it, but i do. In fact, i do not understand why i'm posting these songs that i grew up listening to on AM radio as a kid.

Pathetic. :D:D:D

p.s. another...

ALmost forgot one of the best voices ever...Melanie.

Sorry, i wasn't trying to criticize your enjoyment of a song. I just pointed out i don't like it, but seems Bill Withers is actually a two hit wonder, lol. I just heard Lean on Me the other day in the car, and that song always makes me feel like crying.

Another song i love that seems to be a one hit wonder (at least here in the U.S.)...this band may have a following, but as far as airplay, the only song i recall being played by them..."If You Leave" by OMD (from the classic movie "Pretty In Pink")

I don't think of them really as one hit wonders - Wild Thing was also huge.

Speaking of the Troggs, R.E.M. also do a damn good cover of their song Love Is All Around that was included on their first Unplugged performance which you can see here. The author of Wild Thing (as well as Angel of the Morning), Chip Taylor is also well worth checking out. His recent duet albums with Carrie Rodriguez are a good place to start.

I didn't know he was still recording albums. I've not heard Geronimo's Cadillac either. I'll have to go look that up. Wildfire always made me tear up - it seemed so sad :lol:

His latest is another in his series of albums full of "cowboy" songs except this one has a bluegrass angle. His Geronimo's Cadillac record was my introduction to him but I'm also a huge fan of his Cosmc Cowboy Souvenir album. He initially got a lot of recognition during the beginnings of the country rock/"outlaw" period along with fellow songwriters Steve Goodman, Jerry Jeff Walker, Willis Alan Ramsay, Willie Nelson, Billy Joe Shaver, etc. Jimmy Buffett even namechecked him in his song Migration from his A1A album:

Lookin' back at my background tryin' to

figure out how I ever got here.

Some things are still a mystery to me

While others are much too clear.

I'm just livin' in the sunshine,

Stay contented most of the time.

Yeah, listenin' to Murphey, Walker and Willis,

Sing me their Texas rhymes.

Speaking of the Troggs, R.E.M. also do a damn good cover of their song Love Is All Around that was included on their first Unplugged performance which you can see here. The author of Wild Thing (as well as Angel of the Morning), Chip Taylor is also well worth checking out. His recent duet albums with Carrie Rodriguez are a good place to start.

His latest is another in his series of albums full of "cowboy" songs except this one has a bluegrass angle. His Geronimo's Cadillac record was my introduction to him but I'm also a huge fan of his Cosmc Cowboy Souvenir album. He initially got a lot of recognition during the beginnings of the country rock/"outlaw" period along with fellow songwriters Steve Goodman, Jerry Jeff Walker, Willis Alan Ramsay, Willie Nelson, Billy Joe Shaver, etc. Jimmy Buffett even namechecked him in his song Migration from his A1A album:

Lookin' back at my background tryin' to

figure out how I ever got here.

Some things are still a mystery to me

While others are much too clear.

I'm just livin' in the sunshine,

Stay contented most of the time.

Yeah, listenin' to Murphey, Walker and Willis,

Sing me their Texas rhymes.

Thanks Jahfin! I'll have to look into that a bit more :)

Can't stream at work and couldn't check out the Youtubes so sorry if these have been mentioned already:

One Toke Over The Line- Brewer & Shipley

and the most depressing, suicide-inducing song of all time...........Feelings by Mr. Morris Albert.

That's cool and it's beyond my comprehension why i like it, but i do. In fact, i do not understand why i'm posting these songs that i grew up listening to on AM radio as a kid.

Pathetic. :D:D:D

p.s. another...

ALmost forgot one of the best voices ever...Melanie.

Not sure I would call Melanie a one-hit wonder. Brand New Key.....Nevertheless a couple of good ones.

Archived