the doors thread

achillestand

Poor Jim Morrison...he became a commercial good, just like the Che and Marylin Monroe. People don't really care about them, they're just an image to them. As long as people buy Morrison/the Doors books, best of the best of of the best ever best of...they'll keep on releasing stuff. Its like you can't walk in the street without seeing a teenager who has the Che on a shirt or on a bag... Sad really.

Poor Jim Morrison...he became a commercial good, just like the Che and Marylin Monroe. People don't really care about them, they're just an image to them. As long as people buy Morrison/the Doors books, best of the best of of the best ever best of...they'll keep on releasing stuff. Its like you can't walk in the street without seeing a teenager who has the Che on a shirt or on a bag... Sad really.

well said.

The mythology of The Doors is far better than the reality. I made the pilgrimmage to Jim's gravesite about seven years ago. I wasn't moved as much as I thought I'd be, but that is

probably because of the swarms of tourists clamoring to be photographed. Vandals had

also desecrated monuments throughout the cemetary, with lies like "JIM LIVES".

The mythology of The Doors is far better than the reality. I made the pilgrimmage to Jim's gravesite about seven years ago. I wasn't moved as much as I thought I'd be, but that is

probably because of the swarms of tourists clamoring to be photographed. Vandals had

also desecrated monuments throughout the cemetary, with lies like "JIM LIVES".

Yeah his tomb really small and not that special really...but I still go there everytime I go to Paris, its a lil' habit of mine. You always find all sorts of shit on his tomb, packs of cigarettes, joints, roses, books of poetry...

Yeah I hate that vandals desecrate other tombs. There are many writers and poets buried there and I love going to their tombs and it always pisses me off when I see graffities... <_<

I would have to think the Doors are in the top 5, in terms of inflential amercan artists. even thought their image of late seems like its fadding... Jim IS the ultimate image of the rock star... burning out at his peak... he is immortal and we cant overlook that.

as for the rest of the band, IMO John Densmore is a top 5 drummer in my book (#3, actualy)... ray is the greatest keyboard player of all time... and robbie might the most underappreciated guitarist ever... he wasnt flashy or prominent in the band but his subtle touch really gives the doors that mystical sound that gives us all chills down our spine

I would have to think the Doors are in the top 5, in terms of inflential amercan artists. even thought their image of late seems like its fadding... Jim IS the ultimate image of the rock star... burning out at his peak... he is immortal and we cant overlook that.

as for the rest of the band, IMO John Densmore is a top 5 drummer in my book (#3, actualy)... ray is the greatest keyboard player of all time... and robbie might the most underappreciated guitarist ever... he wasnt flashy or prominent in the band but his subtle touch really gives the doors that mystical sound that gives us all chills down our spine

Hell, I think the Doors are the #1 American musicians of all time. How is their image fading? If anything, their popularity continues to grow. I think most intelligent people can see through all the Jimbo/image BS, and hear the music for what it is......genius.

Oh yeah, I LOVE the Doors. :hippy:

People don't really care about them, they're just an image to them.

I don't agree. Most Doors fans I've met could give a shit about Jim's image, but LOVE their music. Their recorded legacy is the only thing that matters, not the image.

I don't agree. Most Doors fans I've met could give a shit about Jim's image, but LOVE their music. Their recorded legacy is the only thing that matters, not the image.

I'm not talking about the fans, the real fans who (yes) LOVE their music. I'm talking about teenagers who, just to be 'rebels', say that they listen to rock music, wear a Doors shirt (or a Zep shirt) and actually only know a couple of their songs (the most famous ones of course...) and listen to Greenday cuz they are sooooo 'amazing'! (yeah right!)

I like the Doors, but it is sad how people think that Jim was all the Doors was. Jim Morrison clothing is almost as popular around here as the '77 Zep shirt. To bad people have idea what's behind it.
I love Robby and I think he's one of the most underrated guitar players around. I had the pleasure of seeing him earlier this year on the Experience Hendrix tour, and he had an absolutely scorching solo on Red Hose. Too bad Buddy Guy didn't play with him; that would truly be something special.

I'm not a fan of the whole "best of" stuff, as I don't really like compilations, but I do love the Doors' Bright Midnight Archive collection. There's some really good stuff that they're digging up (Live in Detroit is one of the best full concerts that I've heard, hands down), but I agree that the best of releases are getting old.

I saw them with Ian Astbury live 4 times now , all i can say is : these were AMAZING shows!I go to all kinds of concerts for over 25 years , but these shows were the best!They will be back in Europe next year , so folks if you love Doors-music , don't miss this!

Archived