Vanishing Led Zeppelin mystery solved

1:31PM, Friday 14th December 2007

The mystery of Led Zeppelin video clips vanishing from YouTube has been solved. No sooner had the rock giants' comeback gigs at London's O2 Arena, aka The Dome, ended this week than the clips started appearing.

But just as quickly YouTube's owner Google started removing them and displaying their well-known red takedown boxes.

That is not unusual. Except in this case none of the copyright holders who might have requested this action actually had done so. Google said Warner Music Group was responsible, which would make sense as it owns the rights to the band's songs. But Warner had not sent the takedown requests, nor it seemed had the band, nor any of the other miscellaneous parties with a stake in the concerts, such as the venue's owner, O2 or the promoter.

Finally a New York company confessed. GrayZone monitors copyright violations on behalf of media companies, but on this occasion it had been a little over zealous.

"Grayzone regrets that it erroneously issued takedown notices to YouTube regarding footage of Led Zeppelin's December 10th concert," the company said in a statement. "We acted without authorisation from the band or Warner Music Group."

Grayzone's Dorothy Sherman said that the company had removed around 300 clips before it realised its mistake. An easy one to make, it would seem, as the company currently has a list of 17,000 songs to be on the look out for.

:huh: Unbelievably incompetent!

how is it that there is only a handful of video and all are such crap quality? most disappointing is that there is only one full video of Kashmir and the tard who filmed it takes the cam off the rhythm section for some of the best parts. i expected at least a couple full videos of the show to be available right away.. so, if someone has the full concert video, make a torrent plz!!! ktnx /end rant

How very typical. Not that they were successful for that matter... The number of clips posted went up sharply with every hour passed after the show, regardless of their actions. I wonder how many Zep related videos are on YouTube right now...

1:31PM, Friday 14th December 2007

The mystery of Led Zeppelin video clips vanishing from YouTube has been solved. No sooner had the rock giants' comeback gigs at London's O2 Arena, aka The Dome, ended this week than the clips started appearing.

But just as quickly YouTube's owner Google started removing them and displaying their well-known red takedown boxes.

That is not unusual. Except in this case none of the copyright holders who might have requested this action actually had done so. Google said Warner Music Group was responsible, which would make sense as it owns the rights to the band's songs. But Warner had not sent the takedown requests, nor it seemed had the band, nor any of the other miscellaneous parties with a stake in the concerts, such as the venue's owner, O2 or the promoter.

Finally a New York company confessed. GrayZone monitors copyright violations on behalf of media companies, but on this occasion it had been a little over zealous.

"Grayzone regrets that it erroneously issued takedown notices to YouTube regarding footage of Led Zeppelin's December 10th concert," the company said in a statement. "We acted without authorisation from the band or Warner Music Group."

Grayzone's Dorothy Sherman said that the company had removed around 300 clips before it realised its mistake. An easy one to make, it would seem, as the company currently has a list of 17,000 songs to be on the look out for.

:huh: Unbelievably incompetent!

RUBBISH Led Zep has always been a organization that makes excuses for their performance and behavior. They are just too great to ignore despite their silly behavior. When Song Remains The Same came out Jimmy made it clear that he was playing with a broken finger and now 25 or 30 years later he hits us with the same story. Was he changing the oil in his Rolls or fixing a leak in his kitchen? come on now the guy lives like a prince and keeps his hands on pillows. He's also the greatest rock guitarist alive. So be it.

how is it that there is only a handful of video and all are such crap quality? most disappointing is that there is only one full video of Kashmir and the tard who filmed it takes the cam off the rhythm section for some of the best parts. i expected at least a couple full videos of the show to be available right away.. so, if someone has the full concert video, make a torrent plz!!! ktnx /end rant

Jeez, get real!

Do you really expect people to be standing there for two hours watching the gig through a tiny viewfinder/screen.

You're damn lucky that people took the time to film what they did, and take time to upload it.

Jeez, get real!

Do you really expect people to be standing there for two hours watching the gig through a tiny viewfinder/screen.

You're damn lucky that people took the time to film what they did, and take time to upload it.

I agree.

Not having been lucky enough to have won the "Golden Ticket" ballot.

I am only grateful that other fans thought enough to try to include us as best they could in the proceedings.

It looks as if there will be a DVD in time but on the night it was almost unbearable being shut out from the gig. Thanks to other fans, at least we have some glimpses of what went on.

I'm not going to grumble about the quality.

Jeez, get real!

yea, with hundreds of ppl with their cam's in the air recording the show i guess you're right, i would be crazy to expect more then a handful of crap quality vidz online. what the hell was i thinking.. next time i record a concert perhaps i will think like you and say screw everyone.. and i'll totally 'get real' and turn my cam off. <_<

yea, with hundreds of ppl with their cam's in the air recording the show i guess you're right, i would be crazy to expect more then a handful of crap quality vidz online. what the hell was i thinking.. next time i record a concert perhaps i will think like you and say screw everyone.. and i'll totally 'get real' and turn my cam off. <_<

How old are you? You're about 15 and one of Gen Y 'must have it now!' by the sounds of it. Just shut up. You don't have a right to anything.

I blame the... oh what's the point.

so they jumped the gun after all?

I hope this means that the videos will be safe now, since they are the property of the people who took them.

Perhaps if the group's recording was used without permission on youtube, then I would support taking them down.

But since the videos are owned by those individuals who filmed them, shame on Grayzone for shooting first and asking questions later.

Man, you'd be surprised. I've seen people at other big concerts stand hypnotised by a 4" pixel array for an hour. And I'm not talking bootleggers.

A mobile phone is like some kind of thumb to suck for a lot of people.

The only thing that annoys me about it though is that my incredulity distracts me from the gig as well. If somebody wants to come and stand looking at their mobile phone throughout a gig they should have to bring a Wigwam so they don't distract others. In a few years it'll be The Law.

This really tick's me off, the rate at which songs were being removed was palpable. Bunch of wankers. :rolleyes:

Regards,

Grell

And yet, if you look on youtube now, someone uploaded the entire "The Song Reamains The Same" yesterday and as of a few minutes ago when I last checked, it's still there!

I agree.

Not having been lucky enough to have won the "Golden Ticket" ballot.

I am only grateful that other fans thought enough to try to include us as best they could in the proceedings.

It looks as if there will be a DVD in time but on the night it was almost unbearable being shut out from the gig. Thanks to other fans, at least we have some glimpses of what went on.

I'm not going to grumble about the quality.

Bron:

Great Analogy.

The whole thing was too much like Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory's Winning Golden Tickets... But alas, I am more pathetic than poor little Charlie.

so they jumped the gun after all?

I hope this means that the videos will be safe now, since they are the property of the people who took them.

Perhaps if the group's recording was used without permission on youtube, then I would support taking them down.

But since the videos are owned by those individuals who filmed them, shame on Grayzone for shooting first and asking questions later.

Legally speaking that isn't true. Unauthorized recordings are the property of the copyright owners. Most tickets explicitly state on them that any taping of any kind is prohibited therefore said recordings become the property of the copyright owners. Most venues have signs up stating the same. Without express legal consent from the venue, the writers, the publishers and the performers it is illegal to post copyrighted material on YouTube or any other site without a synchronization license.

Also I don't buy for one minute that these clips were pulled by accident. I think they were in full damage control mode in case the show didn't go well and since it went so well it made sense to lighten up on the YouTube/viral video sites and keep the buzz and momentum from the gig going. There is no way highly paid independent consultants were up all night having clips pulled by accident.

Also I don't buy for one minute that these clips were pulled by accident. I think they were in full damage control mode in case the show didn't go well and since it went so well it made sense to lighten up on the YouTube/viral video sites and keep the buzz and momentum from the gig going. There is no way highly paid independent consultants were up all night having clips pulled by accident.

i tend to agree with this comment. Grayzone are just the fall guys in this. It went well, or at least it has been perceived to have gone well, which is the same thing in mass media terms, so let the clips stay. everyone's happy. Warners look cool and relaxed about the whole thing,fans get to see some film reminders/mementos or teasers for the next shows and big rock business rolls on. Try this-Warners got heavy-handed and over-zealous because they are a big media company that is instinctively defensive and protective of revenue streams. Bad publicity for them coupled with good reviews for the show. Can't just apologise and back down. Scapegoat needed. back to comment above and then my comments. all explained.bye!!

Archived