Dear Jimmy, When you produce the DVD...

Dear Jimmy, When you produce the DVD...

can you please, please, please try to incorporate as much of the great, grungy YouTube content as possbile? sure, clean up the sound where really neccessary (but leave some of the feedback, esp in GTBT and the earlier songs - that was how it was!).

The O2 was a celebration - not just a "passive" concert. We, the fans, in the audience were as one - the goodwill, chatting, climbing on each others shoulders, jumping and buncing up and down - so good. And some of that is captured in You-Tube - the "mature" voices roaring and shouting, the nodding bald-spots, the smiling and sheer awe...

Do you have any footage of you and the lads before and after the concert? the nerves and uncertainty beforehand? and the triumph afterwards? can this be spliced into fans own before and after footage? believe me, we were nervous befoerhand!!! and afterwards - no words to describe it.

The last thing we need is "just" another concert DVD - the o2 was special, very, very special.

Thanks for making it happen - and until we get your version, I guess I'll keep dosing myself with You Tube.

I think the You Tube videos are not of the greatest quality. I would much prefer a professional job on the DVD.

Regards,

Grell

Yes - not of the greatest quality - but the "professional" footage is not a representation of what we saw and experienced - the YouTube stuff captures what is was liek to be there standing on the floor.

I'm sure a happy medium can / will be found - who knows? maybe the DVD can support multiple versions - straight "professional" for those that want it that way and a mix or even multiple "angles" for others?

In any case - like yourself, I'm sure - I can't wait to see it all again.

I would prey they issue it uncut, as usually with these type of things, only a selection of everyones performances that makes it in. That was reasonable when it was video VHS as the tapes were only so long, but now its DVD, they can fit it all on, so theres no excuse.

How about a delux version with wrist strap and ticket stub??

TP

Yes - not of the greatest quality - but the "professional" footage is not a representation of what we saw and experienced - the YouTube stuff captures what is was liek to be there standing on the floor.

I'm sure a happy medium can / will be found - who knows? maybe the DVD can support multiple versions - straight "professional" for those that want it that way and a mix or even multiple "angles" for others?

In any case - like yourself, I'm sure - I can't wait to see it all again.

Yes that would be interesting having both options but my gut is telling me it won't happen.

Regards,

Grell

the dvd video with multi angles of everything including the audience and with sound from the mixing board which was pumping out live in the venue would be unrealistic? well which youtube video set is "real"? the guy filming shakily way in the back with just bass rumble and compressed distant sound? the guy in the front filming in slp mode? was the band pixelated? weren't people in the audience looking at the giant screens with dvd quality multi angle live shots of the band as the concert progressed? anyways, just a few things to think about . and i do understand what you're conveying.

if i were to make suggestions on producing the dvd. i'd suggest including a documentary and background on the event itself (the tribute/atlantic records/ the reuniting/the rehearsals interviews/fans at the show etc)

i'm sure if they put a video out of it will be great. there's no guarantee it will even be released by the band.

Here's what would look great and ensure no complaints:

• Hold shots for at least five seconds. Some quick cuts could be done for effect, but the three-seconds-or-less style of most modern concert DVD's is going to rate bad reviews on Amazon.
  • Video effects should be used extremely sparingly. Effects can date video just like they can music. What looks cutting edge today is going to look like someone's home project in five years. Let's just see what's there.
  • Plenty of John Paul Jones and Jason! JPJ has been overlooked by the camera enough in the past! And let's see Jason's face lighting up to be on that stage!
  • A bonus feature of rehearsals and/or a tour of Jimmy's guitars would be nice.

FW: I know how to produce a Led Zeppelin dvd, thank you very much. I simply call Kevin

Shirley who will run the whole damn thing thru Pro Tools and cut down all the guitar solos.

Keep Rocking,

Jimmy Page

Yep, and after destroying No Quarter, be sure to have him randomly change levels on some of Bonzo's drumming for NO reason during another track. Skip all the "particulars" and "issues" that had to be dealt with to re-release TSRTS, none of them explain or pertain to the hack-job that KS did and somehow was approved by Page? Does Page feel no pain listening to that solo in No Quarter?

Here's a special COINCIDENCE!!!! ....I was right of center(in front of Jimmy's amps) and about 25-30 ft. from the stage. I got some photos until my camera screwed up....I was actually kinda relieved when it did so I quit worrying with it and enjoyed the show like I should.......attached is a photo I took and here's a link to Youtube......if you notice in both.....the same people in the croud are in front of us....the guy in the striped shirt......the bald guy in green. What are the odds of me spotting this?????

Check it out and compare.

http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z237/jr...25/100_3020.jpg

Jimmy,

I would like professional footage, with some amatuer bonus stuff. Interviews too. Pull all the plugs. This could very well be Zep's last performance, and I fully intend on seeing as much as possible.

PS, even if the DVD sucks I won't complain. I'd be happy with whatever you'd like to release.

Including the Youtube stuff would be interesting, on Pink Floyd's Pulse DVD there is a section called "bootlegging the boogleggers."

Very good point..And the stuff on Pulse that is bootlegged looks just as good as the stuff professionally done...u can tell the differenece, YES, but u can still watch it and enjoy it..

What about a box set..DVD set with the whole show...a 2 disc album of the show and an additional rehearsal set either on cd or dvd or both..in this time and age i'm sure this was done...damn even outtakes of III and physical are out there..

PAGE - Put out all the unreleased live tracks before the bootleggers do!

I am and always will be puzzled by the people who complain about the cut in the No Quarter solo. There's parts in the original soundtrack that aren't in the movie, and there's parts in the movie that aren't in the soundrack. Either way, the whole solo cannot fit into the film's time frame. Do we drop the horrible cut at the beginning of the solo, or do we drop the wah pedal bit at the end? We can't have everything if we can't touch the video continuity. It sucks for sure, but the real question is, why couldn't someone with visionary Page's deep pockets get Warner Brothers to permit a re-cut of the celluloid? How much power can Peter Clifton and Joe Massot possibly hold?? Can only the original directors sanction an edit? Films get re-cut all the time. Director's cuts. Additional scenes. It happens all the time. Why is TSRTS untouchable?? :huh:

*edit to add* Same goes for that horrible cut in the Rain Song. Even in its original release, could they not find find four seconds of film to bridge the gap when the drums come in? A mystery for the ages I guess.

Motion Picture Copyrights

A film is a derivative work, or in other words, it is based on many other existing works that may also have been copyrighted. Even a film based on an original screenplay is derivative because the film by necessity is based on the screenplay itself. A filmmaker must make sure to acquire the rights to all of the works the film is based on.

What filmmakers often don’t know, is that all of the collaborators in a film, such as the director of photography, sound technicians, art directors, and many others can all qualify as authors of the film under federal copyright law. U.S. Copyright law has provided for the collaborative nature of film making by creating the work-for-hire doctrine, which states that all of the various artists and craftspeople that are typically found on a film set can work on a film while the copyright ownership remains with the production company. The work-for-hire doctrine is more fully discussed below.

In general the producer is ultimately responsible for registering the copyright of the film with the Copyright Office in the name of the production company. This helps give the production company the right to sell, license, or modify the film, unless certain contractual obligations apply.

Works for Hire

Part of the work-for-hire doctrine in the U.S. Copyright Act is specifically directed towards filmmakers. If the filmmaker wants to avoid sharing the copyright in the film with all of the participants in the production of the film, the filmmaker must enter into a written agreement with each person involved in the production of the motion picture.

Even if no money is exchanged, these agreements will insure that the production company alone holds the copyright in the work.

Everyone who works on the film and contributes to the production or postproduction must sign a copyright agreement. On most films, this is one of the clauses inserted into an employment contract with the different parties involved.

Could you boil that down please? Certainly someone revamping a film needn't obtain license from all involved. They colorized It's a Wonderful Life and I highly doubt the late Frank Capra was consulted. :lol:

Not meaing to be a smartass of course. :beer:

I thought Swan Song was the production company and they sold distribution rights to Warners......also, seeing as Warners is distributing this new DVD, they were obviously involved, why not consent to a re-cut of the film?

True, it seems a little odd that a band with the enormous clout that LZ has couldn't get approval for at least a minor, touch-up re-cut of the film. Being that Peter Grant along with their own Swan Song label, you would think would have secured full rights when the movie was made initially, as they did with their music. I mean, weren't Grant, Page, and LZ all about owning everything they did? I'm actually ok with the movie as it is though.

My personal thorn has to do with the new CD, besides the NQ cut (although I love the ending Wah Wah section not on the original soundtrack), is how Shirley thinned out and over-flanged the timpani and gong on NQ right before the drums kick in before the guitar solo. All of the power, tone, majesty, low-end, and oomph of that timpani/gong hit is gone. All you hear now is a huge metallic wash of flanger masking and totally thinning it out. Just a light bit of phaser, not flanger, sounded great on the original, if it ain't broke don't fix it. I am shocked Page allowed that. I use to love that part on the original CD. Classic over-processing to the point of losing the real tone and timbre of the timpani/gong, which is a first for a Jimmy Page production. Also on Moby Dick, the song now mysteriously has no low-end, unlike the rest of the album, but had plenty of low-end on the original CD soundtrack (I compared them side by side through Mackie HR-824 studio monitors), go figure. Same goes for the intro on Celebration Day (intro only not whole song). I almost wish Eddie Kramer was involved in the re-mix, but that's Page's decision, it's his music after all. That being said, the drum triplets at the end of Rock & Roll are MASSIVE sounding now. So of course I still love it overall. These are just valid points by hard-core LZ fans who know them in and out, merely discussing, not bashing.

Archived