Your O2 Story

Considering the ticket ballot drama and Plant's statement about fans coming from 50 different countries, I'm sure there are many interesting stories about the whole O2 experience including getting tickets, traveling, parties, and, of course, the concert itself. Although some people have certainly shared their stories, or parts of them, in other threads, I don't think there has been a topic devoted to this purpose alone. I know telling my story to friends and strangers alike has been therapuetic and thought I might share here if others are willing to do the same. For me, traveling from the US with my pregnant wife was truely an adventure. I bet there are many fascinating stories out there so please, whether you got into the concert or not, take a few moments and share your adventure...

Right, well...

Here is where it all started for me. And here is the middle and end.

:)

:D Thanks for sharing. I really liked reading the 2nd part of the blog and seeing the photos. Brought back a lot of memories. By the time you arrived to que for tickets on Sunday, I was probably in the bar having a drink with my wife (she only had 1 glass of wine, I swear!) and this great English couple (Mike and..?) we met queing for merchandise.

:D Thanks for sharing. I really liked reading the 2nd part of the blog and seeing the photos. Brought back a lot of memories. By the time you arrived to que for tickets on Sunday, I was probably in the bar having a drink with my wife (she only had 1 glass of wine, I swear!) and this great English couple (Mike and..?) we met queing for merchandise.

You're welcome! :)

Lucky you! Haha...I really wish we'd have just gone to get our tickets on Monday morning...it would've been a piece of piss then! But hey, that's always the case with hindsight, and we needed to put our minds at rest.

Well, work is slow and I've got some time to kill so I'll follow Chicken's lead and post my story. I hope others will do the same.

Tickets!

Ebay all the way here. Of course I entered the ballot but after not winning the first evening, I panicked! I took a $450 chance and it ultimately paid-off. Probably the best gamble I've ever made. Since my wife would be 6 months pregnant by the end of November, I went for stadium seating but Ticketmaster kept timing-out. After several hours of trying, I settled for floor tickets. So what if we had to hang-out in the back, at least we were going to be there!

The Harvey Incident

Several weeks on the ticket roller coaster was not fun. Maybe I shouldn't go after all. The wife's pregnant. London is far from home. Do I really want to spend a few thousand dollars on a Zeppelin concert? Fuck yeah!

A Stroll in the Garden

Jimmy has a tumble and I'm out another $500! Wow. Talk about power. The hotel also had to be changed since it was all booked for the new date. Hmmm, that's strange considering it was the only hotel in the immediate vacinity of the O2. Oh well, I'll just book Club Quarters in the financial district and pay twice as much. Not my only option I know but it was a nice room just north of London Bridge, which would prove to be a convenient location.

Yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Claus

Wow, finally in London! My wife's first time, almost 15 years since my last visit. Hit Convent Garden on Saturday with my wife's friend from Ireland who flew in to hang for the night. We're just a bunch of jet-setters (lol, I still get emails from the O2 for upcoming concerts). Early to bed after some Toad-in-the-Hole and lots of English Ale. The next day, of course, was ticket day. Funny, waiting in line, it turns out the couple behind us is also from Long Island! How 'bout that. They're friends with a friend of Jason Bonham who comes over and spills the beans on the opening song. In any event, the good part: when it's our turn for tickets and wrist bands, my wife speaks up about her pregnancy, 6 1/2 months at this point, and we're taken aside. Exciting! It turns out they put us in the first level, directly on Jimmy's side of the stage. I mean, he was 40 or 50 feet away. Merry fucking Christmas!

The Party

Sunday night we hooked-up with The Friends of Zep group for a raging party. The bar, south of London Bridge, was kind of a dive but the people were great. Off the top of my head, some came from Maryland, Colorado, California, Texas, Canada, England (Stuart!), and yes, Long Island. We all got drunk and watched Zeppelin bootlegs all night long. It was a great time. Thanks Sharon!

In Concert and Beyond

In the interest of brevity, I will simply state that I cried my eyes out during No Quarter. It was really happening. We were there in London with Led Zeppelin playing our favorite rock music in the world. It's actually more than just music. I've always felt really connected to these guys. I can't quite put my finger on it. In any event, the baby, Sophia Mae, really dug Ramble On according to my wife :D

The Day After

When I woke up, my ears were still ringing. It was over. Time to go home. What just happened? Was it a dream? Saw Hugh Grant on the flight home and wondered if he was at the show. Not that it mattered. I was there and it felt great. And yes, it was a dream.

Thats a great adventure -dharmabum. Your baby is gonna have some positive live -led zep rthyms going on. I can relate to the spirit on getting the tickets, very good that you went for it! I'm glad you posted this, because the first thread sort of disappeared quickly...maybe the rest of us were a little too jealous to really comment. Or just watching the clips on youtube :)

A dream come true to go to that show!

You're welcome! :)

Lucky you! Haha...I really wish we'd have just gone to get our tickets on Monday morning...it would've been a piece of piss then! But hey, that's always the case with hindsight, and we needed to put our minds at rest.

I agree, could have done without the queueing!

Unfortunately I didn't know till the last minute that I would be free on Monday anyway...but I'm afraid after the previous 9 or 10 weeks, I couldn't take it anymore, I had to have that ticket and wristband as soon as I could!

All worked out in the end... :)

Thats a great adventure -dharmabum. Your baby is gonna have some positive live -led zep rthyms going on.

That's for sure! Somebody recently said to my wife, "what if your baby doesn't like Led Zeppelin?" Pfffft! Not a chance. ;) Anyway, I sure hope we get some more stories...even if they involve nose picking...

....For me, traveling from the US with my pregnant wife was truely an adventure....

:wave: You two certainly were cutest couple at The Happening the night before!

Countdown... to welcoming young Dharmabum to the world!

Cheers! :hippy:

Seeing Zeppelin like many others was a real cliched dream come true for me. here's my story that I've adapted from another forum I'm on.

There have been so many stories and rumours about Zep touring so when yet another rumour of a reunion gig started to surface I didn’t pay much attention to it as how many times have we heard that rumour before? Then in early September it was confirmed the mighty Zeppelin were getting back together for at least one more show. All I needed to do was get lucky in the ballot. Easy, 15 odd email addresses duly entered surely one of them will be lucky, millions of others thought the same. First ballot and not a sniff. I tried everything I knew, pestered ebay sellers, contacted anyone who i thought might be able to get me a ticket. My wife told me to just spend £800 or whatever to guarantee a ticket if I really wanted to go that badly but although i was willing to pay slightly over the odds i couldn’t justify that kind of money for a gig. Then the 2nd ballot came along and again nothing but this time my mate got a code but he’d already promised his other ticket to someone else and as much as I was chuffed he’d got a ticket i was jealous as feck. I set about trying to figure out how to could despatch of his pal without raising suspicion.

As the gig neared I’d resigned myself that i was going to miss out and I was seriously gutted like many thousands of others. On Sunday evening as I made a final sweep of ebay and realised that avenue was now closed as all auctions were going to end in the morning and by that time it was going to be too late for me to get too London. I thought I’ll have a final check on some of the forums as you just never know. As I clicked on the this forum I couldn’t believe it. Someone was saying they had a spare. The post was 3 hours old so i thought my chance had gone but if you don’t try, so I sent him a pm saying I was interested but thought I’d be too late. I really didn’t think it would still be available but i kept an eye during the evening as it was my final chance. At 10 pm the guy responded to the thread saying he’d had a number of responses and was going to draw lots and would announce the winner at 11. I was still in with a chance but still didn’t really think I’d get it. As the wife and I were watching Saturday’s X factor on video ( I know I know I get the irony ok) I wander up the stairs click on the forum and a PM message pops up saying the ticket’s mine if I still want it. :rubeyes:

I’m almost paralysed with shock and forget to breathe until it finally sinks in and I re-read the message. Not only is he offering me the ticket but at face value. I leap down the stairs to calmly inform my wife of the good news. I was completely buzzing at this point and couldn’t actually think what I should do next but thankfully Mrs kevtic thinks about the more practical things like – how are you going to get to London? It’s 11pm on Sunday night. Flights £250, feck that, Could maybe get the sleeper but it leaves at 23.15 and will never make that until we remember it also stops at Motherwell. I do a check and it leaves Motherwell at 23.56. We’re in. And as coincidence would have it my brother is on the train so i give him a call to see if it’s left etc. He says it’s on time but we have still enough time to get to Motherwell. Then he phones me back and informs me that he thinks the train has just left Motherwell. We get to the station at 23.40 and the web info is wrong it leaves at 23.30 not 23.56. Not a good start. Mrs K offers to run me to Carlisle to pick it up there but i decide we need a re-think and go home to check early morning trains. I can get a ticket on the 7.10 but no guarantee of a seat. That will do. Book a hotel and train for coming home on Tuesday while I’m at it. It’s going to be an expensive trip.

Up early after little sleep (I’m still hyper). Taxi, train, London, no bother. Get to London and get a text message from my man and he says his car has broken down. All the doubts that had been bubbling under the surface race to the top and I think I’ve been stitched up. I haven’t paid for the ticket yet so all I’ve have done is have an expensive day trip to London but I’ll be doubly gutted if this doesn’t happen. I try to stay calm and tell the guy I’ll meet him at the arena and I’ll go and check out the set up and see what we need to do. Get to the arena at 4 and try phoning him, answer machine, panic and doubt are now firmly in ascendancy. Take a walk around the O2 centre to try and calm down. Phone my man again and once again answer machine. I’m sitting beside the ticket queue and really don’t know what to do. I try a third time and the phone rings we have contact and it turns out he’s standing right in front of me. I really could have kissed him but I thought he might think that was overly friendly. The final hurdle is standing in the queue for the wristband and ticket after 45 mins we have the treasured wristbands on and we’re good to go. At this point I’d like to say

Tintin46 - you are a legend and my man of the 2007

Not only did he charge me what he paid for the ticket he refused to let me buy him a t-shirt and/or programme as way of me saying thanks even though that seemed too small a gesture for such a generous act.

A couple of beers and a meet up with my mate who had already got a ticket. He was more than a bit surprised to see me there.

Into the arena proper and our seats are top tier almost at the back of the venue but 2nd row. TBH pretty crap seats but do I care, do I feck. I’ve made it and i still can’t quite believe I’m there. We arrive just as Harvey Goldsmith introduces a film about Ahmet Ertegun and then Keith Emerson, Yes’s Chris Squire, Bad Company’s Simon Kirke and Bill Wyman’s Rhythm Kings open proceedings with Fanfare For the Common Man, before a number of Atlantic artists appear including, Albert Lee, Maggie Bell, Paul Rodgers. Paulo Nuitini and Foreigner who played I Wanna Know What Love is complete with children’s school choir complete with ‘sing it for Ahmet’ from their new front man. Was hilarious. They were all but filler though and as the stage was readied for the main event the anticipation levels in the O2 went up a few notches. We’d been told they would be on at 9. Constant glances at watches etc as the expectancy of a 27 year wait hung in the air.

At 9.05 the lights go down and the crowd erupts. As the back screen is unveiled a short film about Zeppelin arriving in America sometime in the 70s is shown and the crowd cheers as each band members name is read out by the commentator with the loudest cheer reserved for John Bonham.

Then the lights go up and Zeppelin are amongst us once more opening rather surprisingly with Good Times, Bad Times. Sound is more than a bit dodgy from where I’m sitting and I almost feel a sense of anti-climax as I’m miles away from the stage, sound is ropey and everyone’s in the upper tiers is sitting down. The first song finishes and the sound of Ramble On filters through. Not exactly the full head on start many would have expected. The first classic of the evening arrives with Black Dog and the sound starts to sort itself out. The band have a huge stage but Page assumes his normal role just in front of the drum kit on the right and only moves forward to use his array of pedals. John Paul Jones is almost his exact mirror on the left and it’s only Plant who moves around the stage any distance and usually only then to watch Page unleash another solo. Black Dog gets the first real reaction of the evening but it’s almost as if the crowd are in awe of the fact that Zeppelin are finally here and playing in front of them.

In My Time of Dying brings the drumming of Jason Bonham to the fore and although I never saw his dad live Jason appears to hit the drums as hard as his dad ever did. For Your Life from Presence is a surprise inclusion in the set and Plant informs us it’s the first time they’ve ever played it live. The 2nd of 3 songs from Physical Graffiti is introduced as Zeppelin’s version of Robert Johnson’s Terraplane Blues and we’re into Trampled Underfoot and gives JP Jones a chance to showcase his considerable keyboard talents and Plant starts to hit some of the high notes that I thought he wouldn’t have been able to reach.

Then the moment that for me the concert moved into a completely different level. The first riffs of Nobody’s Fault But Mine pierce the air followed by Plant’s vocal response before Bonham’s drums thunder in. :rocker: Stunning stuff and from here on in it’s music that a legend was built on delivered superbly by four small figures in the distance. The sound has all but sorted itself out apart from a few bits of unintentional feedback. We’re now entering the list of true rock classics. No Quarter is followed by Since I’ve Been Loving You and is in turn followed by Dazed and Confused complete with guitar solo and violin bow that sees Page enclosed in a laser box that flips round each time he sends waves of noise around the arena. Old school guitar theatrics but I love it.

Then comes the moment that I had worried about, Stairway. Often ridiculed in the past but tonight it was the majestic anthem that many had forgotten it was and still is. To hear it live, complete with Page on his famous double necked guitar was just one of those moments. The Song Remains The Same (I also thought they played the Rain Song but apparently not must have played it so much on my IPod on the way down ) and the groove that is Misty Mountain Hop. This leads us to set closer and song of the night the magnificent and timeless Kashmir. Plant’s introduction informed us that ‘people from 50 countries were at the show tonight, this is the 51st’ before that astounding riff crashes in. Plant and Page combine in perfect harmony as the song builds and builds with Jones adding in the vital keyboard ingredient all finished off by Bonham’s steady and solid beat.

An awesome set closer that sees the band leave the stage to a wall of sound from the audience which continues until they return to serve up Whole Lotta Love that sees 18,000 thousand heads nod in unison to one of rock’s greatest riffs. The middle section comes complete with lasers and Plant again provides the stunning vocals.

We’ve reached the final song of the evening and the band end the show with yet another classic in Rock n Roll. It’s been a long time right enough, far too long. 5 mins after the song has ended the crowd are still applauding and wanting more but finally the lights come on and after 2hrs and 10 mins it’s all over. Zeppelin have returned and turned in an absolutely blinding show that probably surprised even the most diehard fans. Plants voice sounded great and hit most of the high notes, Page delivered classic riff after classic riff and solo after solo like he’d never stopped, Jones the glue that holds it all together and provides the space for Page to weave his magic. Jason Bonham did his old dad proud and filled shoes that most thought unfillable. Must have been an emotional night for him but acquitted himself superbly.

Even after nearly 20 odd hours after the gig I’m still buzzing. It’s odd, that I wouldn’t say that was the best gig I’ve ever been to but it wasn’t that type of show it was more of an event and as such stands alone from the normal gig going experience. Like those who were there and those who couldn’t make it I hope this leads to a full on tour, if not, then this wasn’t a bad way to close the final chapter on Zeppelin. If this is what they are like after 27 years of not playing together they must have been a awesome act in their hey day.

I realise how fortunate and lucky i was to get to see this show and it has rounded off one of the best ever years for live shows perfectly. I could almost retire from gig going now as it doesn’t get any better than this year.

Potbound, thanks for the kind words. :hippy:

Archmagician, I'm a bit east of your old stomping grounds having spent most of my life in the Port Jefferson/Stony Brook area.

And Kevtic! Talk about last minute pressure! The unexpected build-up and then possible let-down at the arena would have destroyed me. Glad it all worked out.

That reminds me of almost being hit by a car a couple of hours before the show. Since the traffic is opposite of what I'm used to, I was looking the wrong way while stepping into the street. Fortunately, at the last moment, I turned my head and pulled back just as the car wizzed by! Close call! :blush:

hey there Leddy..please don't forget to mention your triumphal performance at the Zeppelin Quiz ;)

Lol you have no info on your profile so which person were you !! Sorry :):blink:

Here's our account of the ballot process, the trip overseas, the camping out for two days for front row, the rehearsal and soundcheck and the show...

http://www.geocities.com/out_on_tiles/londoncalling.html

Enjoy.

Thats a cool story of the whole event !!

Here's our account of the ballot process, the trip overseas, the camping out for two days for front row, the rehearsal and soundcheck and the show...

http://www.geocities.com/out_on_tiles/londoncalling.html

Enjoy.

Wow, I love the whole journal. Thanks for sharing. I wonder if Jennifer is the one who upgraded my tickets from floor to first level. Is she kind of small with light hair?

PORT JEFFERSON STONYBROOK AREA ARE YOU FROM LONG ISLAND????? :D

If so I know Port well hang there every weekend!

Potbound, thanks for the kind words. :hippy:

Archmagician, I'm a bit east of your old stomping grounds having spent most of my life in the Port Jefferson/Stony Brook area.

And Kevtic! Talk about last minute pressure! The unexpected build-up and then possible let-down at the arena would have destroyed me. Glad it all worked out.

That reminds me of almost being hit by a car a couple of hours before the show. Since the traffic is opposite of what I'm used to, I was looking the wrong way while stepping into the street. Fortunately, at the last moment, I turned my head and pulled back just as the car wizzed by! Close call! :blush:

(

I sat at my desk, picked my nose and followed the events on this forum.

The end.

:lol: Ha Ha That's very similar to what I was thinking.

Entered ballot

Never heard anything.

Looked on ebay-couldn't afford it.

Tried all the contests. Nothing.

Read reviews in papers the day after. :coffee:

lotsa fun.

I did recieve emails from the Ertegun website trying to flog me a copy of the Plant/Krauss thing & the concert program though. :computertrash:

Archived