The Archive

irg82

I'm going to try to move some important stuff from the old forum into this thread before the old forum is shut down. If anyone wants to help, feel free to copy and paste the important old stuff into posts on this thread.

IRG

First off, the beginnings of Ev's proposed book, just in case he didn't save it:

Evster ponders writing Zep book

« on: October 09, 2007, 04:42:13 PM »

I posted in the Mick Wall thread the folllowing. I just sort of threw it out there half-joking. However people have responded positively. So to not derail the Mick thread, I'm bringing the discussion over here.

I'm scared shitless posting this.

Should I bother going further?

On June 18th 1966, Paul Samwell-Smith left the popular British group The Yardbirds. In a pinch, guitarist Jeff Beck recommended session man Jimmy Page to replace the bassist. It was certainly appropriate as Page had recommended Beck for the job when the band had asked him to replace the recently exited Eric Clapton.

On June 19th 1966, I was born. Who could have predicted that on the day of my birth, things would be set into motion that would define my life, not to mention set into motion the events that gave birth to the biggest rock band of its era?

Page eventually passed bass duties to Yardie Chris Dreja and took up a short-lived dual guitar period with Beck. The band was at the end of its tether. Tensions within the group saw first the departure of Beck, the onstage meltdown of singer Keith Relf, and the resolve of Dreja to pursue a career as a photographer. Page suddenly found himself not only the only member enthusiastic for the band he owned the rights to the group name.

Former wrestler Peter Grant was the Yardbirds manager at the time and a shrewd negotiator. Somehow he orchestrated the contract that gave he and Page the rights to one of the 60’s most popular acts.

This is a story that has been told so many times, one must wonder “Why again?”

I’m a lifelong Zeppelin fan. I’ve spent endless hours in the Zeppelin online community. Over the years, I’ve been someone who is happy to answer the questions for many people who want to know about everything from equipment to tales of excess. What I don’t know off the top of my head, I research in the many books and articles I’ve amassed over the years. I don’t have all the answers, nor do I claim to be the foremost expert on the subject, yet my passion for the band and willingness to find the facts I don’t have on hand for those who want to know has led many to say I should write a book. So here I go. I’ll forego the pre-Zeppelin history of the members that anyone who’s ever heard of Wikipedia can easily access, and rather focus on the bits that shed light on Led Zeppelin from my perspective.

Anyway, bassist-keyboardist John Paul Jones’ (nee John Baldwin) wife saw Page’s advert looking for musicians and said she was tired of him moping around the house. Jones rang Page and he was in (I told you I’d keep this short. If you want his history, it’s out there. I’m not revisiting what’s already been well documented). Page and Grant went to the midlands to see a singer named Robert Plant. Three down, one to go. Plant recommended a young drummer he’d played with in the past named John Bonham. Bonham was living in a caravan on his parents’ property and raising his family. Upon seeing the young Bonzo’s prowess, they were set. It took a bit of coaxing as the 20 year-old father of a two year-old son (Jason) had a steady paying gig with Tim Rose. But Bonzo was in. Led Zeppelin was a reality. But not quite yet.

Due to contractual obligations, the band, already agreed upon as called Led Zeppelin, would have to serve out some dates using the Yardbirds name. Those dates, played in Scandinavia, provided the new group an opportunity to develop a set, largely based on explorations of blues standards, extended jams, and a handful of original compositions. Weeks later, the band, having only been playing a matter of days, went into Olympic Studios in London to record their debut album. Years later the band would be both derided and sued for not crediting the songs (blues standards they’d used as a foundation to have something to play on such short notice) to the writers. This of course is a matter of contention. The history of the blues is one of interpretation of what came before. One can complain that they ripped off Robert Johnson only to find that Johnson had pinched Skip James. Suffice it to say Led Zeppelin wouldn’t need the crutch of standards for long. Given time to exercise their creativity, they’d go on to define rock music for a generation (and generations to come). At this point they just needed material to play. To get out there, seize the day, and blow an unsuspecting audience clear out of their minds. And that they did. Well beyond anything they could have possibly imagined.

Or could they have?

Jimmy Page, from adolescence had taken an interest in the occult. His interest in Aleister Crowley and Crowley’s belief system of Thelema would cause broad speculation and propel Page to the status of wizard-magician-guitar god of the 70’s and beyond. Unfortunately, Crowley’s self-styled moniker of “The Great Beast 666” didn’t help things. Truth be told, Thelema has nothing to do with Satanism. Crowley’s mother called him a little beast, and he essentially, in his desire to be controversial (there’s no such thing as bad publicity), took it as his title. However, Thelema has naught to do with Satanism. This of course was not wasted on the press. Jimmy was the Magus musician. He cast spells on his audience. He pointed his bow to the four corners as if to be performing a banishment. This of course can be debated, but Jimmy surely knew that imagery could compel an audience. And it did! Certainly the astrological symbols on his stage costumes didn’t diffuse the myth. Was he performing ritual on his audience? I cannot say. I’ll just say that Led Zeppelin had a force onstage. Of course, it may have been John Bonham!

I listened to (insert date here) today. Bonham is a force in his own right. There’s a reason he’s called the greatest rock drummer of all time. I’ve seen them all. No one has ever demonstrated the sheer power, the swing, the finesse and deft touch in a whirlwind that was a Zeppelin show, and the groove that Bonham displayed on this night. And that’s just one night out of hundreds (and I have hundreds of them).

John Paul Jones. Have you ever dialed the balance on your player to the bass side on The Lemon Song? John Paul Jones is without question one of the greatest bass players ever to lend their talents to a rock-oriented group. His organ (and piano) odysseys were adventures. Oh, and there’s the fact that he could play mandolin, 8-string bass, upright bass…anything the song required.

Robert Plant...

That's where I've left off. It's a rough start clearly. It's all been said, and it really comes down to how you feel, and how it translates into a read. Should I bother going further?

Responses have so far been:

Quote from: huw on October 09, 2007, 05:21:54 AM

Ev - do it. Thumbs Up

Quote from: huw on October 09, 2007, 05:29:39 AM

Now that I got the quick response in, I'll elaborate...

Ev - I'm sure you could do a great job of this, you have an excellent recall of most of what's been recorded, & the research materials to back you up. (Plus access to some internet buddies who could pitch in with any queries)

What I'd say is that if it's to be a book, then make it really be a book. Don't cut stories short, like we have to do on the boards (sometimes); Don't try to fit it into a format that could be posted here, let it find its own shape and truely become something that could be properly published; don't rush it either.

I would want to see this come out and think "yes - at last! That's the book we've been waiting for" Smiley

Plus, we know you're sincere about your desire to do the band justice...

Go for it my friend, and good luck beer

Quote from: mstork on October 09, 2007, 06:36:41 AM

Keep going Ev!

Quote from: ninelives on October 09, 2007, 04:22:42 PM

I can see your hesitation with writing a book but not only are you an eloquent writer, you have an incredible passion and insight and I think whatever you would actually write would offer fans a unique perpsective on things.

Go for it mate

beer beer beer

And I'll buy an autographed copy when it's published Thumbs Up

Quote from: FireOpal on October 09, 2007, 04:31:22 PM

Ev, you could write more of a soundography (I know that's not a word, but I can't think of a word) than a biography. I have this little booklet about the recording of Zeppelin IV, and wish there was a book like that on the band's whole recorded output. You'd be a good one for the job, Ev! You know a ton about Jimmy's guitars, recording and playing techniques, etc. You could research whatever you don't know.

Chris Welch did one of those "Story Behind the Songs" books (which I have not read) on Zep, but I don't know if he covered the more technical/musical side of things.

This has me actually considering attempting this. Please share your feelings.

-------------------------

Above originally posted by Evster.

Led Zeppelin look set to re-form and play the O2 arena this autumn

« on: August 31, 2007, 11:07:38 AM »

Legendary rockers Led Zeppelin look set to re-form and play the O2 arena this autumn.

There has been no official announcement that they will perform again 27 years after the group disbanded following the death of drummer John Bonham but advertisements appeared in the national press today with top-price ticket and hotel packages on offer for £369.

A cheaper package from the Premier Entertainments company, including a night in a four-star hotel, is available for £269.

Callers today were told: "It's just about to be officially announced." Speculation had been mounting for some time that the band would get back together soon.

The three surviving members - John Paul Jones, Robert Plant and Jimmy Page - reunited at the Live Aid concert

in Philadelphia in 1985 for a short set with Phil Collins as one of the stand-in drummers. The band's albums and song Stairway To Heaven have remained popular and a new best-of album is due this year.

------------------------------

Above originally posted by The Pagemeister, the first one to give us the news.

Next? The bootleg case with Jimmy:

BOOTLEGGER CASE.

« on: July 22, 2007, 12:41:42 PM »

Spotted in the paper today:

Legendary rock guitarist Jimmy Page will appear in Court next week as star witness at a trail of a man, accused of being a major Led Zeppelin bootlegger.

Page 63 will appear at Glasgow Sheriff Court, where businessman Robert Langley is accused of having more that 2,400 illegal or pirate DVDs and CDs at a record fair in the city.

Many allegedly feature unreleased live performances by Led Zeppelin,who are famous for hits such as Stairway to Heaven and Whole Lotta Love. It is believed that Page will tell the court he never gave permission as required by law for his performances to be exploited in this way.

Led Zeppelin were formed in 1968 but disbanded in 1980.They are the second biggest selling band of all time,after the beatles, Page 63, who lives in London was guitarist,composer, and producer.

Mr Langley 59 of Buckingham denies 12 charges, if found guilty he could faCE 12 YEARS in Prison, a source said yesterday it will be interesting to see the effect the outcome has on the music industry,and its battle against bootlegging.

Guess who posted this one??

Crystals.

On The Origin of Jimmy's DoubleNeck:

Jimmy's DoubleNeck Guitar

« on: August 10, 2007, 11:15:07 PM »

I'm not familar with the history of the guitar but I've always wondered....was Jimmy's double neck guitar designed specifically for him? Jimmy Page was the first musician I've seen playing that type of guitar.....since then, I've seen a few (very few) but I always thought that guitar was made for (and designed?) by Jimmy Page.

Above by myledzep.

Replies:

I know I have the details on this around here somewhere, but sorry, I'm lazy... As I recall it wasn't simple. Jimmy needed a guitar that would make it possible for him to render Stairway live, switching very quickly between the 6 and 12 strings. He had seen somebody play a doubleneck back in the day and remembered it, but when he contacted Gibson it turned out they hadn't been making these guitars for years. So it was specially made for him. And then afterwards of course Gibson started making them again. I haven't studied the details, but the one Elvis is holding isn't exactly identical - bridge is different, as are the pickups for the 6 strings, etc.

PageDoubleneck.jpg

Above posted by Otto Mason.

In the case of Spinout, the guitar was more a prop than anything else. He didn't actally pley it.(Speaking of Elvis, not Page.)

The original models, produced between 1958 and 1962, were basically twin-necked hollow-body instruments, with dual cutaways similar to the ES-175; these models are quite rare. In 1962, the EDS-1275 was changed to a solid-body guitar resembling the SG model; this version of the double-neck is the most common and the best-known among players and collectors.

When Jimmy commissioned his, changes included the above mentioned swapping of selector switch locations, relocation of the tailpeices farther from the bridges to give a lower string tension, and a slimmer neck profile with solid mahogany necks instead of the standard 3-piece maple ones. The pickups were stock PAFs (like those in his Les Paul's, and slightly hotter than the stock 490 and 498 Alnicos). Jimmy removed the covers from the 6-string's pickups to get a slightly brighter sound.

--------------------------

Above posted by Evster.

Clarification on Zeppelin's version of "As Long As I Have You"(Which I had actually been wondering about.) :

As Long As I Have You - lyrics

« on: August 06, 2007, 08:26:48 AM »

I know he's screaming most of the time when he sang it, but has anyone been able to discern the lyrics of Led Zeppelin's version of As Long as I Have You? I think they differ greatly from the Elvis original.

The only think I've been able to distinctly hear so far is "I was born in darkness..."

--------------------

Above originally posted by Daniel Bilske.

--------------------

Reply:

The As Long as I Have You Zeppelin does is not the same song as Elvis' hit. It was written by Bob Elgin and originally a hit for singer Garnet Mimms.

The original lyics (which Plant takes some license with) are:

Born in darkness

but I fought my way up to the sun

Had a lot of battles

some I lost and some I've won

But let me tell you, girl

you ain't seen nothing yet

There's nothing in this world

that I can't get

As long as I have you (long as I have you)

Long as I have (long as I have you) you

As long as I have you

Give me mountains to crumble

and I'll turn them to sand

Let me put this world

in the palm of your hand

Find some teardrops

but I sang my way out of the blues

Had to learn to stand up

even when they scared me out of my shoes

that I can't get

Long as I have you (long as I have you)

As long as I have you

Give me mountains to crumble

and I'll turn them to sand

Let me put this world

in the palm of your hand

Say you love me

and I know that half the battle is won

Don't cha worry about nothing

in your mind the best is yet to come

that I can't get

Long as I have you (long as I have you)

Every thing's gonna be alright (long as I have you)

And I won't have to cry no more (long as I have you)

All my troubles will be over (long as I have you)

------------------------

Above posted by Evster.

First off, the beginnings of Ev's proposed book, just in case he didn't save it:

He'll be happy with this!!! :thumbsup:

Does anyone know if Evster made the jump to the knew forum?

Good, I was missing him and his 2 cents :blush:

Yes, Ev is here. Neither of us are posting too much, as our internet access isn't the best. Will be getting it stabilized on Monday though.

He'll like knowing you missed him. :D

This thread is killing me, but I believe it will be worth it. Someone posted an essay on Black Mountain Side I think? If anyone has that, or knows where it is and could post it here, that would be awesome.

Hi irg! I think you may be referring to the one I wrote. I actually don't want it re-posted here for several reasons. I think it will be published, so it's not lost anyway - and even if was re-posted here people wouldn't see all the very valuable comments others made at the time. So as I see it, that thread can't be repeated - only the essay itself can be republished in a revised form, with corrections for which I'm greatly indebted to many friends. But while it's still up - here's a link to that old thread:

http://www.led-zeppelin.com/forums/index.php?topic=35767.0

Page/Plant Knebworth 90 Clarification:

What did Page/Plant play at Knebworth '90

« on: January 05, 2004, 11:56:26 PM »

Did they play anything else? Wearing And Tearing seemed to be a good performance. They were both very energetic. I wanna see more of this show...

"If Al Jolson was alive today... He'd no doubt be treated as some sort of medical curiosity. A singing corpse - it would be an awful existence for him" - Shaun Micallef

GuitarForHire

Zepaholic

View Profile Email Personal Message (Offline)

« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2004, 12:03:51 AM »

They did "Rock and Roll", in addition to Wearing and Tearing.

We can dance if we want to

We can leave your friends behind

Cause your friends don't dance and if they don't dance

Well they're no friends of mine

davidzoso

validating2

Zepaholic

Piecutter2004

View Profile WWW Email Personal Message (Offline)

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2004, 12:45:17 AM »

I have the full thing on audio and video the day MTV broadcast it. They also did Misty Mountain Hop- along with Rock and Roll and Wearing and Tearing. Cheesy

"The Future is Old"

Poor_Tom

Magnetic Chef

Zepaholic

z_o_s_o_@hotmail.com

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2004, 12:54:46 AM »

Ahh. Thanks Smiley

"If Al Jolson was alive today... He'd no doubt be treated as some sort of medical curiosity. A singing corpse - it would be an awful existence for him" - Shaun Micallef

blanchedb

Zepaholic

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Re: What did Page/Plant play at Knebworth '90

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2007, 07:22:57 AM »

In Live at Knebworth 1990 DVD track list there isn't Misty Mountain.

Is there another DVD where there are all the songs they played at KB?

ninelives

Zepaholic

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2007, 09:11:16 AM »

Quote from: blanchedb on October 08, 2007, 07:22:57 AM

In Live at Knebworth 1990 DVD track list there isn't Misty Mountain.

Is there another DVD where there are all the songs they played at KB?

I have it recorded from MTV's broadcast where MMH was included.

csolari21

Zepaholic

The Insanity Bingo Grand Champion

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2007, 02:25:35 PM »

Quote from: ninelives on October 08, 2007, 09:11:16 AM

I have an audio tape of the original radio broadcast from that day somewhere, and MMH was played...but I'm not sure if Page had joined Plant on stage for it. I'll listen to it later tonight after work.

"When and where does this 'real world' occur?"

- Wm. Miller

blanchedb

Zepaholic

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2007, 02:56:06 PM »

Quote from: csolari21 on October 08, 2007, 02:25:35 PM

but I'm not sure if Page had joined Plant on stage for it. I'll listen to it later tonight after work.

Yes, I saw it on youtube..Smiley

Quote from: ninelives on October 08, 2007, 09:11:16 AM

I would like to have all the songs played by Robert (with or without Jimmy!),

there are a lot of them on youtube.. are there in that MTV recording?

csolari21

Zepaholic

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2007, 03:00:33 PM »

Quote from: blanchedb on October 08, 2007, 02:56:06 PM

Then MMH was the first song Page played with Plant, right after Tall Cool One. That's the running order on my tape.

And four of the songs from Plant's set are on the Knebworth '90 DVD - Hurting Kind, Tall Cool One, Wearing and Tearing and Rock and Roll.

EDITED to add this: http://youtube.com/watch?v=tVi8hYJ05J0

« Last Edit: October 08, 2007, 03:02:01 PM by csolari21 » Logged

"When and where does this 'real world' occur?"

- Wm. Miller

ninelives

Zepaholic

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2007, 03:02:24 PM »

Quote from: blanchedb on October 08, 2007, 02:56:06 PM

yes They sure are Grin

blanchedb

Zepaholic

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2007, 04:09:37 PM »

Quote from: csolari21 on October 08, 2007, 03:00:33 PM

EDITED to add this: http://youtube.com/watch?v=tVi8hYJ05J0

Yes, yes..I like it very much shiny and Wearing and Tearing too...

Quote from: ninelives on October 08, 2007, 03:02:24 PM

yes They sure are Grin

Well.. then I need it Grin

csolari21

Zepaholic

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2007, 04:29:39 PM »

Broke out the tape on my drive to work. Jimmy did join him on stage for MMH as the first song, followed by Wearing And Tearing and Rock and Roll.

CORRECTION (as my tape was out of order and a rebroadcast, not a live feed)... Via Dave Lewis' book (now that I'm home), the entire setlist was as followed:

Hurting Kind, Immigrant Song, Tye Dye On The Highway, Liars Dance, Going to California and Tall Cool One. Then Page joins for MMH, Wearing and Tearing and Rock and Roll.

« Last Edit: October 09, 2007, 03:22:37 AM by csolari21 »

A Couple Of Good Concert Reviews / Recollections:

Seattle 17-7-77 BY: pagey_17

« on: June 16, 2005, 12:07:58 PM »

071777a.jpg

From photonbeams website

Trexx

ZepHead

Re: Seattle 17-7-77

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2005, 02:18:56 PM »

Was nice to read this post and story because this was a concert that I attended. Came down from Vancouver and it was the last time I got to see the band. I did see them in the early 70's in Montreal and twice in Vancouver. 4 time in all. I feel so privileged and at age 62 those experiences were the highlights of my life. Seeing Robert in Vancouver Sept 22nd 2005

--------------------

CarolinaRover

'77 Greensboro Concert Review

« on: May 31, 2007, 09:57:38 PM »

Since its now been 30 years to the day since I saw Zeppelin in the Greensboro Coliseum, I thought what better time to recount my memories (however eroded by the years they are) and reminisce. I'll have to say, that really was a long time ago and at best my recollection is fairly hazy but I'll give it a try. By the way, if there are others that were there that night in Greensboro, N.C. , I would love to hear your stories too.

But, over the years, the finer details tend to slip away and what is left are some random, disjointed thoughts (uh, did I say dis-joint-ed?). I can tell you that at 18 years old, your world is quite different than it is today, so needless to say, so were my priorities 30 years ago.

My brother and I had about an hour and a half drive to the show that night, but I don't remember too much about the trip to G'boro. Pretty crowded outside the gated area. I do remember a rush to get in and some people attempting (and I suppose succeeding) to climb the fence when they let us in. I'm not sure how all that came about...it could have been more that the swell of the crowd had a lot to do with them letting us in.

One thing that was very clear, and still remains clear to this day, was the mass of people moving into the concert hall. You really didn't need to walk forward ...the crowd pushed and literally carried you with it. At that point in my life, never experienced anything like it. No control of your own movement at all. Pretty much a wall of humanity surging forward. If anyone had fallen, it would have been impossible to get up. Maybe we were just lucky in that regard, maybe just lucky that we didn't end up like the fans in Cincinatti at the Who concert about 2 years later. Its funny that you often don't realize how dangerous something is in the moment...just later on when you are in a normal state of mind. Another memory I have is that the walls in the hallways leading to the concert area were dripping with condensation.....really strange and surreal. I suppose all the heat and moisture from the mass of people moving thru. Just strange.

In the concert arena we had pretty good seats. This was in the days of festival seating and general admission..... no seats assigned.... just get in there and find what you can close to the stage. If you were lucky (or maybe unlucky...I'llget to that later) you could get down to the floor in front of the stage. Our seats were to the left of the dtage, about mid-way up on the lower level. I heard that thi was the last concert that Greensboro coliseum had festival seating...for a lot of good reasons.

Seemed like forever before Zep took the stage at least an hour and a half...running late or something like that...but I understand that was more the norm. Before the show...lot of partying all around....seemed like there was not much security that I recall. People smoking up and passing around the reefer.... I counted at least a dozen times a joint was passed down our row.... it was the 70's what can I say. All the trappings of the 70's concert scene for sure... clothing, or lack thereof too!! The land of long hair, tight jeans, and no bras!! I remember one guy looking just like Plant, a virtual clone... you couldn't tell them a part...

Back to the show.... Zep comes out about an hour or hour and a half late... Plant says "Good Evening Greensboro" and they launch into Song Remains the Same....really rock it up..... played the intro of the Rover and then went into Sick Again...great stuff, lots of stuff off of Physical Graffiti, some stuff off of Presence too. I remember Nobody's Fault but Mine and Achilles....., don't have the set list, although I've searched the Web for it, I couldn't find anything. If anyone has it, would like to see.

Did I mention the volume of this show? Damn. I mean DAMN was it loud!!! When Page was soloing during Dazed, he used this violin bow and it could have shredded the paint off the walls!!! My ears were hurting...hate to admit it, but I had to cover them during a part of that solo!! The visual stuff was good too....laser pyramid and such..... this was back in the 70's but still pretty high tech for then. Another thing was when Page used this synthesizer thing like a moog or something during Whole Lotta Love.... made some really weird effects with that thing....pretty cool for back in the day.... by the way, I was working that summer and the next day, my hearing was shot all to hell. It took a couple of days to get back to hearing right again.

From the show, I would have to say Kashmir was excellent, Stairway, Ten Years Gone, No Quarter, Rock n Roll. I really liked the acoustic set too... a nice change of pace too. All in all, they played about 3 hours including the encore and Bonham's drum solo in the middle. Speaking of the drum solo, Bonham's drum set rotated outward and I think some people may have gotten hurt that were next to the stage....not sure about that though.

Other recollection.... some people on the upper deck had linked their belts together and were lowering themselves down to the lower level. Think one chain of these broke too. As I said, not a lot of security around that I remember.

Thats about it. Great show. One of the best ever been too. If you care to share, I would love to hear. It may even jog my memory!!! Thanks for the opportunity to share my experience 30 years ago tonight!!!

Rickb57

Sr. Zephead

Re: '77 Greensboro Concert Review

« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2007, 06:20:18 PM »

I went to the last concert in DC (memorial day of 77) same tour. when was the Greensboro concert? Our seats were all reserved/no general admission. I got them in Rochester, NY where I still live and went through a local radio station to try and get Zep tickets somehow. As it turned out some guy was willing to trade Zep tickets for excellant Elvis Presley tickets(he was playing in Rochester aroung the same time). I told him I had no Elvis tickets but would pay anything for Led Zep tickets. He had tickets for NY City and let me buy two of his Wash DC tickets. Still have the stub. they were actually behind the stage but speakers faced in back too. The tickets were $7.50 and I gladly paid the scalp price of $35 each (alot for those days). It was well worth it and they were great. They opened with the Song remainsn the Same that night too. I had the entire song set in order once but have lost it. Anyhow, also had tickets for Buffalo but a few days before it happened it was canceled due to the sudden tragic death of Robert Plants son.

CarolinaRover

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2007, 08:14:54 PM »

Concert in Greensboro was on May 31st 1977. Sounds like you had a great time. Did they play an acoustic set at that show too?

Rickb57

Sr. Zephead

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2007, 07:36:42 AM »

Yes they did play an acoustic set. It was great. Included Black Country Woman, Going to California, Bronyaur, and a couple of others from number three album. I must have seen them the night before you because it was memorial day (must have been the 30th). Someone then told me it was the last Washington show. I hated to go to Wash but had no choice. I couldnt get NY tickets (Madison Square Gardet). The guy I bought them from had NY tickets but was willing to sell me the Wash tickets. I never want to see DC again. But at least I got to see them. And the show was great. They played 3 and a half hours. Take care

Rick (East Rochester, ,NY)

fenix

Sr. Zephead

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2007, 02:35:36 AM »

Thanks for sharing, as someone who never had the chance to see them its great to hear your experiences....I'm soooo jealous Grin

MRCROWLEY

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2007, 07:24:24 PM »

You forgot to mention when Plant announced it was Bonzo's birthday. I was there dude ! It seemed like we waited quite a while at least two hours it seemed . The Starship had not even landed at show time. Bonzo's Celebration Day must have been the delay ,LOL ! The lazer pyramid was kick ass during Dazed and Achilles was the sh@t too !

Author Topic: Jimmy's acoustic amp (Read 162 times)

Bluesyzep

Sr. Zephead

Jimmy's acoustic amp

« on: May 08, 2007, 08:33:41 PM »

Did Jimmy play the acoustic stuff through the Marshall or something else?

« Last Edit: May 09, 2007, 06:57:18 PM by Bluesyzep » Logged

huw

OverEducated MusoGeek

Zepaholic

Re: Jimmy's acoustic amp

« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2007, 10:29:48 AM »

Miked up into the PA system, no amp.

"If anyone sees Dennis, tell him we've gone..."

Bluesyzep

Sr. Zephead

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2007, 03:48:22 PM »

Quote from: huw on May 09, 2007, 10:29:48 AM

Miked up into the PA system, no amp.

Shit. I bought this amp for nothing?slapface I assume this just gives you a totally natural sound. Will a clean setting give you the same thing?

Bonzoghost

Sr. Zephead

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2007, 04:47:00 PM »

So, you bought the amp and THEN you start asking questions?

I would have done my research FIRST mate! Grin

Evster2012

Don't mind me, I'm just your friendly neighborhood

Zepaholic

My other half is Obsessed (too)

Evster2012

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2007, 05:49:04 PM »

Quote from: Bluesyzep on May 09, 2007, 03:48:22 PM

Shit. I bought this amp for nothing?slapface I assume this just gives you a totally natural sound. Will a clean setting give you the same thing?

Woah not so fast there partner! This isn't the 70's! cheesy

I use a Fender Acoustasonic 30 and run a line out to the PA. That way I have the benefits of a pre-amp designed for acoustic instruments, eq for the relevant frequency ranges, phase switch to control feedback, String Dynamics control, and reverb and other effects. Plus, I can set it to my side and use it as a monitor, not to mention as a practice amp.

You didn't make a mistake my friend!! beer

Archived