JPJ @ R.E.M. Concert

Cor its been ages since I've posted on here, good to be back!

Well last night I went to see R.E.M. at the Albert Hall and after two completely dire support acts I was losing the will to live until Robin Hitchcock came on stage and introduced...

JOHN PAUL JONES! :D

I almost had a heart attack, I was going ape applauding and shouting etc. (which is more than could be said for other people around me who didnt seem too bothered they were seeing the UK's best musician. :angry:

He played mandolin during Hitchock's whole set which lasted about 50 minutes, JPJ was brilliant (obviously) and I could hear a hint of some Led Zep riffs during his mandolin playing.

Of all the surprise artists who could have turned up I could never have guessed JPJ, was the best surprise I've ever had in my life! I feel really privalliged to have seen one of my heroes, espeiclaly after missing out with O2 tickets last year.

I still can't believe it - I saw JPJ live! Took the fire out of R.E.M. a bit, not much of cause because they are a brilliant live band.

And seeing any Led Zep members live just leaves you wanting more so I hope that JPJ does more solo stuff.

Greatest support act I've ever seen, and will probably ever see! :)

I almost had a heart attack, I was going ape applauding and shouting etc. (which is more than could be said for other people around me who didnt seem too bothered they were seeing the UK's best musician. :angry:

No, even a lot of Led Zeppelin fans couldn't give a shit about JPJ, all they ever care about is Robert Plant (as usual) and Jimmy Page.

But it's great that you got to see him, so unexpectedly too!

He's the Mandolin King and long may he reign!

No, even a lot of Led Zeppelin fans couldn't give a shit about JPJ, all they ever care about is Robert Plant (as usual) and Jimmy Page.

But it's great that you got to see him, so unexpectedly too!

He's the Mandolin King and long may he reign!

Without JPJ there ain't no Led Zeppelin!

JPJ was always a great musician. It's because he choose to stay out of the lime light and it seemed that people have short memories when it came to JPJ. He is the greatest at what he does and any opportunity to see him would be an honor. You are very blessed to have seen and heard him play. He was the only one that had a good head on his shoulders. But we love him a lone or with LZ no one else.

What a great surprise! I love Robyn Hitchcock's music so I bet it was a doubly good concert :D

Well I REALLY love R.E.M. They were the first band I got into along with LZ.

It was worth the £40 just to see JPJ and Hitchcock and seeing it was a surpise it made it all the more special.

Coming on after any LZ member is impossible really but R.E.M. proved that they could and did it with style.

I had never heard of Robin Hitchcock but I really enjoyed him, of course JPJ being with him helped 200000% :D.

Best concert I've been to since erm...Robert Plant at the Albert Hall. :D

It was also the first time JPJ hd played there since the Led Zep RAH show in the really early days which made it even more special.

Now I've seen half of Led Zep on separate occasions, Jason Bonham is at Drummer Live in June and who knows whats around the corner.

I think I'll investigate some JPJ solo stuff now, any recommendations?

Well it comes as no surprise that he did the orchestral arrangements for four songs; Drive, Everybody Hurts, The Sidewinder Sleeps Tonight and Nightswimming on REM's album Automatic for the People.

I wonder whether he was an inspiration for Losing My Religion?

Gotta love that mandolin.

Well I REALLY love R.E.M. They were the first band I got into along with LZ.

It was worth the £40 just to see JPJ and Hitchcock and seeing it was a surpise it made it all the more special.

Coming on after any LZ member is impossible really but R.E.M. proved that they could and did it with style.

I had never heard of Robin Hitchcock but I really enjoyed him, of course JPJ being with him helped 200000% :D .

Best concert I've been to since erm...Robert Plant at the Albert Hall. :D

It was also the first time JPJ hd played there since the Led Zep RAH show in the really early days which made it even more special.

Now I've seen half of Led Zep on separate occasions, Jason Bonham is at Drummer Live in June and who knows whats around the corner.

I think I'll investigate some JPJ solo stuff now, any recommendations?

Check out The Thunderthief and Zooma.

Thanks for posting this. If I ever get the chance to see him live, I'm there! JPJ is the man.

Its fine,

I'd love to see him do a completely solo show, apparently he does wonderful instrumental versions of the Zeppelin songs. I dont think he gigs in the Uk often though.

• 2 weeks later...

You can also see JPJ on youtube with Extreme's Nuno Bettencourt and Gary Cherone, Paul Gilbert (Extreme,Mr.big) and Steve Hackett. They do a killer version of Communication Breakdown with Nuno Bettencourt holding his own on drums!!! Going to California as well(JPJ and Gilbert). Think they do tangerine to but can't remember

Archived