New Zeppelin interviews in 'Uncut' Magazine

hot dog

Three great interviews in the May edition of ‘Uncut’ magazine. Robert was interviewed on 18 January, JPJ on 28 January and Jimmy on March 10th. For those hoping for firm news of activity it’s ‘as you were’ I’m afraid, although JP & JPJ still seem keen for something to happen. Robert is very open regarding Jimmy, talking about his health issues etc. It’s too long to type out, here are some highlights though:

Robert:

Did the success of the show test your previously stated resolve not to reform for a full-blown reunion and tour?

Not at all. I really enjoyed it. And hopefully, one day, we could do it again for another really, really good reason. Our profit is – it’s metaphysical. And that’s the thing, especially with my connection with Jimmy. I mean, the two of us are almost umbilically attached in some strange way and have been down the years. And that’s survived everything. From the time I was 19 to now, when I’m 59.

How different was he (Jimmy) at the O2 reunion from the guy you worked with on the Unledded tour in 1994?

If Jimmy was as healthy then – and when we came to do Walking Into Clarksdale- if he’d been as open and as healthy then as he has now, we’d probably have gone somewhere else again. Because I’m always exhilarated by hearing him play. I think he’s met his demons now and he’s made that public now as much as he can. Without giving too much away, the olive branch came out. And when he brought that branch out – he said, “I offer you an olive branch”.

[Talking about the issues surrounding the ’77 tour]…..For me, then, it didn’t really work from ’77 onwards. However, there were moments from Knebworth that were spectacular. But the price you have to pay to get to those moments, I didn’t think it was worth it anymore. It wasn’t my idea of constructive open-heart surgery.

Finally, how did you feel as you finished that set at the O2?

First of all, we did what we set out to do and more, in every respect. We showed people that Led Zeppelin did go on a bit. There was an opportunity to get a drink occasionally during the show. But at the same time that’s what we were. The personality of the audience has changed from those days when everybody was in the same condition as the band. Now it was more like the 68th wonder of the world, rather than as a gig. So I felt a bit embarrassed. I felt a bit like I’d gone into character, in a way, even though I sang my nuts off. And the interplay between us all was excellent. I just wanted to take it somewhere else for a minute. I kept saying during rehearsals, ‘Maybe we can just drop that bit there and perhaps finish off with ‘Goodnight’ by the Incredible String Band’.

What, from “A Very Cellular Song”?

Yeah, that’s it. [sings]: “I was walking in Jerusalem, just like John…Lay down my sweet sister Jesus, won’t you lay and take your rest”. And, “Yeah”, Jimmy said “We always said we’d do that” And of course we didn’t, because the occasion was bigger than that. And that’s the trouble with the whole thing, about Led Zeppelin. It was always bigger than the beauty of what we had in mind. So I felt like it was a job done, that we were friends, strong, good.

More to follow...

John Paul Jones

Is he [Jimmy] as good as the Page of old?

Yeah, he is. I know this sounds obvious, but he was always one of my favourite guitarists and as soon as we started rehearsing, I was amazed to hear how he’d actually improved. He seemed to have grown since I saw him last.

I know you weren’t involved with Unledded, but was there part of you that was glad to see Jimmy working with Robert again?

[Doubtfully] Yeah…I wasn’t particularly glad for anybody at that point. [Laughs] But yeah…it was mitigated by that thought. At least he was playing. It was probably good for him.

Can you and Jimmy joke about that now?

We don’t actually joke about it. It was quite a hard time for me. But we’re past it, if you know what I mean.

Would you like to make another Led Zeppelin album?

Errr…I’d have to think about that.

Really?

Led Zeppelin’s a…I mean, it was great to do the show. We spoke afterwards, and we both thought the same – it felt like the first night of a tour. You think, ‘Oh, I could do that bit better, or change something in that song’. And we didn’t get a chance to do anymore.

Would it be hard to build up that momentum back up again? Because Robert’s off on tour with…

[Interrupting]Yeah. Yeah.

Do you think the reunion began and ended at the O2?

It’s possible. It is possible.

You don’t sound too certain about the prospect of an album?

No. I’m not sure. I’m not certain about anything, right at the moment. I’ve got no idea what’s going to happen. But I’d certainly like to play with Jimmy again.

Jimmy

What memories and emotions from the night of December 10 stand out for you?

First of all, I think that what we intended to do, we accomplished. Judging by the feedback, it really moved a lot of people. It was a totally different show to the production rehearsal beforehand, but that was intended; we wanted to be able to move this way and that, musically, within the framework of the songs. So, yeah, on reflection, it was mission accomplished.

You walked onstage at the O2 wearing shades. What could you see in the faces of the front rows?

I wasn’t concentrating on the audience. It was heads-down for the first three numbers, which we did as a medley, non-sop, and when I took my glasses off, I didn’t see the audience then, either. I was just getting lost in the music. We’d paced ourselves for this concert, we’d given it our total commitment, and nothing was going to getin the way of it – not even broken fingers – forget it, nothing was going to get in the way of this.

What were the most stunning performances of that night?

From the feedback I’ve had, it all built towards ‘Kashmir’. Everybody who remarked on it, whether it was the public or other musicians, said that ‘Kashmir’ was totally out of this world.

….But with Led Zeppelin, that music is probably going to go through to the DNA imprint of my children. It’s so much a part of me. I just go into a sort of…For example, a number that we did in the rehearsals was ‘The Rover’. Now, we hadn’t played ‘The Rover’ before, not in a complete version…

I always think of ‘The Rover’ as a perfect illustration of Zeppelin at their most confident.

That sort of swagger? It’s got a real swagger about it. An intentional swagger.

Will there be a CD and DVD from the O2?

It was recorded, but we didn’t go in with the express purpose of making a DVD to come out at Christmas, or whatever. We haven’t seen the images or investigated the multitracks. It’s feasible that it might come out at some distant point, but it’ll be a massive job to embark upon.

We learn in our Sunday newspapers that Robert has turned down an offer to tour the world with Zeppelin. What’s the situation? Could a tour happen?

The focus was on the O2 show. That’s what I had my focus on. As for Robert, he had a parallel project [with Alison Krauss] and it’s been successful, which I suppose means he doesn’t have time for Zeppelin at this point. What I do know – what I do know - is that rehearsals, and the O2 gig, were really inspiring. OK? That’s all I’ll say.

Right, but are Led Zeppelin…

That’s as fair an answer as I can give you.

Can’t you go further than that?

I don’t know what John Paul Jones has said, and I don’t know what Robert has said. But I know how I felt about the thing and…

But it sounds like you, yourself, are open to the idea of a Zeppelin tour, and possibly an album? I don’t want to put words into your mouth…

Well don’t put words into my mouth. I know how…Look, I started this by saying there was a will to succeed, if you like, in those original rehearsals. And everybody had such a commitment to it. Now, if you’re talking about a tour – other dates, maybe recording together – there’s only one thing that’s going to be a common denominator with that. And that’s commitment. That’s how we did the O2.

Was playing Robert at the O2 a very different experience to the Page & Plant tours of the ‘90’s?

Of course it was different, because it was better. With no disrespect to the musicians who played in Page & Plant, it’s got to be better to play the music with the key members who’ve written it. So that’s Robert, that’s me and that’s John Paul Jones.

Robert’s touring now with Alison Krauss. Does it infuriate you? Do you feel like saying: ‘But Robert, this is LED ZEPPELIN we’re talking about!’

No, because he’s made many departures and that’s what he feels the needs to do. No, he can do what he wants. We’re all grown men, for heaven’s sake. But I know what is inspirational, and what is really challenging, and that is the sort of direction that I personally – personally – intend to go.

-----------------

Is that a little dig at Robert at the end? Jimmy seemed quite irritated during some of this interview – more at ease when not talking about the current situation. If my secretarial skills were better I’d type the whole thing. Until then…

Jimmy could be posting on this board and we wouldn't know it. He sounds as frustrated as the rest of us with regards to not knowing any answers to....you know.

I sense frustration on his part for sure. The time and effort spent making them a functional and fantastic band again...i believe that's what Jimmy is saying. He wishes to carry that momentum forward but Robert....never mind.

Anywho, we wait and wait and wait......

I do not think it's a dig on Robert. It's just how Jimmy feels. He wants to continue with what inspires him. Very exciting actually.

Sounds that way to me too

I do not think it's a dig on Robert. It's just how Jimmy feels. He wants to continue with what inspires him. Very exciting actually.

It's not a a dig imho.

I was really enjoy reading their perspectives about O2, the future......

It appears that interviewer got under Jimmy's skin for just a sec with those zep questions....:lol: I'm glad to hear Jimmy is feeling inspired...now I hope that inspiration will turn into something concrete in the near future......

:D

It's not a a dig imho.

I was really enjoy reading their perspectives about O2, the future......

It appears that interviewer got under Jimmy's skin for just a sec with those zep questions....:lol: I'm glad to hear Jimmy is feeling inspired...now I hope that inspiration will turn into something concrete in the near future......

:D

I'd say that the interviewer, like the rest of us was looking for a definitive answer and Jimmy didn't have one to give him/her.

Hopefully Jimmy will call JPJ and get down to the business of making some new music. When Robert is ready(if ever), he'll call.

You never know what the future brings.... There's always later this year and next year.

Maybe this time apart from Zeppelin will inspire Page, Jones and Bonham to write new material (whether separately or together).

R B)

http://uncut.co.uk/news/led_zeppelin/news/11294

Led Zeppelin's Robert Plant has said that it is still highly unlikely that the band will go on a full-blown world tour, but there is a chance of more one-off perfomances, if the reason was right.

Speaking in the new (May 2008) edition of UNCUT magazine, the singer says: "Hopefully, one day, we could do it again. Our profit is - it's metaphysical."

The group's bassist John Paul Jones adds: "We (Jones and Page) spoke afterwards, and we both thought the same - it felt like the first night of a tour. You think, 'Oh, I could do that a bit better, or change something in that song.' And we didn't get a chance to do any more."

The issue also comes with a brilliant free 15-track CD of the music that shaped Led Zep, featuring Elvis Presley, Robert Johnson, John Lee Hooker and Otis Rush amongst the selections.

More from the Uncut article:

>>Plant also says the Ahmet Ertegun reunion gig was very different to previous gigs in their heyday. He says he: "sang his nuts off" and says it was weird that the "personality of the audience has changed from those days when everybody was in the same condition as the band. Now it was more like the 68th wonder of the world rather than a gig. So I felt a bit embarrassed."<<

Because the audience was in TOTAL AWE of what they were seeing.

http://uncut.co.uk/news/led_zeppelin/news/11294

Led Zeppelin's Robert Plant has said that it is still highly unlikely that the band will go on a full-blown world tour, but there is a chance of more one-off perfomances, if the reason was right.

Speaking in the new (May 2008) edition of UNCUT magazine, the singer says: "Hopefully, one day, we could do it again. Our profit is - it's metaphysical."

The group's bassist John Paul Jones adds: "We (Jones and Page) spoke afterwards, and we both thought the same - it felt like the first night of a tour. You think, 'Oh, I could do that a bit better, or change something in that song.' And we didn't get a chance to do any more."

The issue also comes with a brilliant free 15-track CD of the music that shaped Led Zep, featuring Elvis Presley, Robert Johnson, John Lee Hooker and Otis Rush amongst the selections.

The May issue isn't the one featuring Mick Jagger/Keith Richards on the cover is it? I think I've seen that one at Borders and on the newsstands. I'll keep my eyes open for the May 2008 edition....

And yes hotdog, I forgot to say thanks for taking the time to post the exerpts. :)

Thanks "Hotdog" for taking the time out to do this. It was well worth it. Even though there are no definite answers on Zep's future, it was a good read. JP and JPJ seem somewhat eager for something to happen, while Robert would like to do more one offs for the right reasons, such as my birthday party for instance. We probably won't here anything definite, until Robert finishes with Alison or all seats are sold for the tour. I guess we all need to be a little patient no matter what the outcome is. Remember, wait until it comes from the band and not from some so called inside source as reported in a rag like the Daily Mirror.

You don’t sound too certain about the prospect of an album?

No. I’m not sure. I’m not certain about anything, right at the moment. I’ve got no idea what’s going to happen. But I’d certainly like to play with Jimmy again.

Jimmy

What I do know – what I do know - is that rehearsals, and the O2 gig, were really inspiring. OK? That’s all I’ll say.

No, he can do what he wants. We’re all grown men, for heaven’s sake. But I know what is inspirational, and what is really challenging, and that is the sort of direction that I personally – personally – intend to go.

I think there's a few clues in both JPJ's and Jimmy's interviews:

JPJ has pointedly said he would like to play with Jimmy again, doesn't mention Robert, so perhaps JPJ is putting his chips on Jimmy.

And Jimmy said the O2 gig was inspirational, which of course means inspiring ideas of future activities, and I think he is saying that Plant is taking the less challenging and inspirational direction.

Because Jimmy has specified that he is going in the direction on inspiration and what is challenging, he's classed inspiration and challenge as a specific direction...

So I'd say it has to be a comment about Plant.

But I mean I thought we knew there was a bit of tension there between Plant and the others? Weren't JPJ and Jimmy at some sort of function like the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame or the Grammys a year or two ago and Robert didn't go because he was preparing a tour or something, so he was just live via satellite, and I thought Jimmy made a snide comment about it along the lines of "well he could've put in the effort to show..."

But I mean I thought we knew there was a bit of tension there between Plant and the others? Weren't JPJ and Jimmy at some sort of function like the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame or the Grammys a year or two ago and Robert didn't go because he was preparing a tour or something, so he was just live via satellite, and I thought Jimmy made a snide comment about it along the lines of "well he could've put in the effort to show..."

Robert and Jimmy are like brothers--as Robert said himself, in his interview--and brothers fight sometimes. But they still love each other.

Thanks for the post. Much appreciated. The next year and a half should pretty much tell the tale.

Add me to the "thanks for posting this" club.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I felt at least some bit of closure in that I am now not expecting anything from all three surviving members collectively. I am not a fan of Raising Sand, but would welcome a chance to see Page and Jones together if that opportunity arises.

It does disappoint me that Robert seems to be the lone holdout, but to each his own. I won't be supporting his latest venture, however. Its not a "protest vote" or anything silly like that; I just don't like it.

Robert and Jimmy are like brothers--as Robert said himself, in his interview--and brothers fight sometimes. But they still love each other.

That's an excellent way to put it.

That final comment was maybe a little bit of a return jab... Robert tends to talk about going where inspiration takes him (vs "going backwards") rather a lot - which can also be read as a bit of a jab against Jimmy "still" playing Zeppelin.

Everyone gets their inspiration from different things, is all.

Three great interviews in the May edition of ‘Uncut’ magazine. Robert was interviewed on 18 January, JPJ on 28 January and Jimmy on March 10th. For those hoping for firm news of activity it’s ‘as you were’ I’m afraid, although JP & JPJ still seem keen for something to happen. Robert is very open regarding Jimmy, talking about his health issues etc. It’s too long to type out, here are some highlights [...]

Hotdog, thank you very much for taking the time to transcribe and share those interviews with us! I loved reading about what the Zep guys have to say about their careers and one another at this stage in their lives.

It reminds me of the respect and admiration that I feel for the Zep guys today - quite a contrast to my youthful infatuation with the band and how much I loved them, in different ways, back in the day. This is a stretch of an analogy: I used to think that it was probably similar to how someone loves all of his or her children but, because each child is a unique being, that love manifests itself in different ways. And, although you love all of your children, sometimes you can’t help but look at the one child who was your firstborn and feel a certain kind of affection toward that child because you remember how sweet it was.

Again, many thanks, Hotdog.

Archived