Pangbourne Boathouse on the Thames 1967-1973 Jimmy Page residence

ro_a

wow, it's so beautiful.

You visited it?

only via internet. I suppose I should add the disclaimer that the Boathouse looks like the victim of a 1980's remodel. I'll bet it had a more antiquated look when Page was it's master.

Anyone know if it was sold and if so for how much? I had the idea of taking up a collection from board members and buying it...

It's lovely, but wouldn't it be chilly & damp 'cause you're so close to the river. I'd prefer Old Mill House in Windsor - which I believe is also for sale. All we need to collect is US$5 million or half that in British sterling.

P.S. Speaking of Jimmy's fine taste in homes, I'm currently reading Pattie Boyd's autobiography, and she goes on and on about the beauty of Plumpton Place, and how much she and George Harrison wanted to buy it. But the lady of the house didn't want "wild rock 'n rollers" coming into the neighborhood, so she sold to a local doctor, who subsequently sold it to an actor, who sold it to our Mr. Page.

I don't know, as far as my aesthetics regarding houses go, Tower House was the only impressive house that Page bought. The Boathouse and Old Mill House were duds. I've never seen inside Plumpton, but the gardens looked good.

• 4 weeks later...
It's lovely, but wouldn't it be chilly & damp 'cause you're so close to the river. I'd prefer Old Mill House in Windsor - which I believe is also for sale. All we need to collect is US$5 million or half that in British sterling.

P.S. Speaking of Jimmy's fine taste in homes, I'm currently reading Pattie Boyd's autobiography, and she goes on and on about the beauty of Plumpton Place, and how much she and George Harrison wanted to buy it. But the lady of the house didn't want "wild rock 'n rollers" coming into the neighborhood, so she sold to a local doctor, who subsequently sold it to an actor, who sold it to our Mr. Page.

Hi FireOpal! Actually, when I was in Pangbourne a few years ago in September, it was really lovely weather-wise, and that whole part of the Thames Valley is quite temperate. Old Mill House is on the river as well and has a far less inviting aura. I didn't at all expect to find it so when I went since I was just touring around at the time and wasn't thinking of its being the place where Bonzo died, but it definitely had a real heaviness about it.

According to Peter Grant's biography ''The Man Who Led Zeppelin'', Jimmy was living in this house with Charlotte Martin around 1970. One day Charlotte invited Jo Massot (first film director of 'The Song Remains The Same') to their house. Then Jimmy and Jo made friends.

And according to Dig Magazine, Roger Daltry and Steve Winwood also frequently came to this boathouse to stay with Jimmy and Charlotte.

I think I would like in summer but for winter it will be too cold no?

It's in southern England. Winters aren't harsh there and you rarely freeze....even by the river Thames so no I shouldn't think it would be too cold.

Archived