Pearl Jam, Foos, Lips To Salute The Who On VH1

Jahfin

From Billboard.com:

who_the_02l.gif

The Who

Jonathan Cohen, N.Y.

Pearl Jam, Foo Fighters and Flaming Lips have signed on to perform at VH1's third annual "Rock Honors," which this year will salute the Who. The event will be held July 12 at Los Angeles' Pauley Pavilion and air five days later.

The Who will also perform during the taping, tickets for which go on sale June 6 to members of the group's Wholigans fan club and two days later for the general public.

Proceeds will benefit such charities as the Teenage Cancer Trust, which the Who have long supported, VH1's Save the Music Foundation, the Double O Charity and VH1 Classic Rock Autism.

In related Who news, the group's Web site will on June 1 premiere an animated version of "Wire & Glass," the mini-rock opera included on the band's 2006 studio album, "Endless Wire."

I am glad the Who is being honoured... otherwise I don't care. I don't particularily like those bands at all. And they will probably play Who songs. And I *hate* remakes, as they are very rarely any good...

• 3 weeks later...

We are going, and are starting to get excited about it! Not thrilled with any of the tribute bands, but being an Okie, we are looking forward to the Lips playing on some Who.

Last I heard, The Who will be playing at least a 45 minute set at the end, so... WOOT!

Anyone else out there going?

It's too bad that the scheduling or circumstances always precludes the bands one would really want to see. Aerosmith, Heart (Anne can do a crazy Love Reign), or even a punk style band like Greenday would rock on Who material.

I love Pearl Jam's version of "Love, Reign o'er Me"

If you like that, I strongly suggest you check out the clip of My Morning Jacket with Vedder ripping through A Quick One (if you haven't done so already). Surely those on the fence about the others paying tribute to the Who must be moved somewhat by Pearl Jam's take on Who songs. Vedder has always been very vocal about his Who fandom and it comes across very strongly in his renditions of their songs.

Archived