Plant/Krauss - Detroit, MI Review

Roxie

So I decided on a somewhat spur-of-the-moment to go to this show. As always the show was great. I didn't think it was too different from the previous shows, so I won't post what everyone else has already said. Although it was strange to see Alison in a pants suit. It was such a change from the dresses she's been wearing on this tour.

Some pics I took at the show:

2w2o8dh.jpg

bg5ni0.jpg

I, too, was there in the mezzanine. I don't have a setlist, though, as I was more in the moment. From the setlists I've seen, relatively typical, though. In The Mood was a medley, Robert did Who Do You Love? as a Bo Diddley tribute....I'll see what i can find.

In that second pic, Robert looks like a child who has been naughty and "momma" is giving him the glare. :lol:

That's funny you said that because during BCW, Robert sang the line "You didn't have to tell me I was just your kid" directly to Alison, and they both kinda laughed like it was some kind of inside joke or something.

As far as a set list goes, I know a few people went up to the stage after to grab one, but I couldn't tell you song for song what they played. Everyone seems to be so shocked when they play "In The Mood", and it gets as big of a response as the Zeppelin numbers do.

That's funny you said that because during BCW, Robert sang the line "You didn't have to tell me I was just your kid" directly to Alison, and they both kinda laughed like it was some kind of inside joke or something.

As far as a set list goes, I know a few people went up to the stage after to grab one, but I couldn't tell you song for song what they played. Everyone seems to be so shocked when they play "In The Mood", and it gets as big of a response as the Zeppelin numbers do.

Did they play "In The Mood" at any other shows? Alison sang something in the middle of that song and it wasn't on the set list.It sounded very familiar but I couldn't place it. Anyone know?

Did they play "In The Mood" at any other shows? Alison sang something in the middle of that song and it wasn't on the set list.It sounded very familiar but I couldn't place it. Anyone know?

I think they've been playing "In The Mood" at every show. Not sure what Alison sang though. I was in "Plant-Mode". :)

And In the Mood blew the roof off the place. If everyone else was like me, they were scratching their heads when the violin intro started to the song because it sounded familiar but so incredibly different.

Also at one point during the show, T Bone addressed the crowd and said Alison was "just tearing it up tonight." Which, she absolutely was. Her voice was huge and full with the acoustics in the Fox.

The show was really fantastic. Sharon Little was a great opening act. I think she may have been the only person in history to call Detroit "a cute little town."

Robert, Alison, T-bone, and crew were impeccable. Alison was better dressed, but Robert had more energy. Alsion told a story about how she bought socks at CVS last time she was in town... The music was so very good. A highlight of the show was In the Groove, and I was very surprised to hear Matty Groves snuck into the middle of it. One thing I was surprised not to hear was When the Levy Breaks. Anyone know if they've been playing it at other shows?

The $40 program was really worth it. Nice pics and words, and a hardbound cover.

The show was really fantastic. Sharon Little was a great opening act. I think she may have been the only person in history to call Detroit "a cute little town."

Robert, Alison, T-bone, and crew were impeccable. Alison was better dressed, but Robert had more energy. Alsion told a story about how she bought socks at CVS last time she was in town... The music was so very good. A highlight of the show was In the Groove, and I was very surprised to hear Matty Groves snuck into the middle of it. One thing I was surprised not to hear was When the Levy Breaks. Anyone know if they've been playing it at other shows?

The $40 program was really worth it. Nice pics and words, and a hardbound cover.

They played Levee earlier in the tour but I think in light of the recent flooding in the mid west, perhaps they've opted not to include it anymore.

I love Gary Graff, and he's one of the best rock writers around and has always been one of my favorites. This review is no exception - completely captures what that show was like.

However, he made a glaring fact error (one which I, too, made in February) when he writes "last year's Grammy Award-winning 'Raising Sand' album."

"Gone, Gone, Gone" won for Best Pop Collaboration with Vocals because the single was released before the Sept. 30 deadline for the 2008 Grammys. However, the rest of the album was released after the date for entry (on Oct. 23), and "Raising Sand" will be eligible for the 2009 Grammys.

From the FAQ at grammy.com:

What are the eligibility requirements?

For the 50th Annual GRAMMY Awards, albums must be released between Oct. 1, 2006 and Sept. 30, 2007. Recordings must be in general distribution in the United States, i.e. sales by label to a branch or recognized independent distributor, via the Internet, or mail order/retail sales for a nationally marketed product

They played Levee earlier in the tour but I think in light of the recent flooding in the mid west, perhaps they've opted not to include it anymore.

You make a very good point. It's terrible what happening along the Mississippi. :'(

Archived