Page/Edge/White Documentary

Dandu

Twenty-six documentaries have been added to the lineup for the 2008 Toronto International Film Festival.

"It Might Get Loud," directed by Davis Guggenheim, USA (World Premiere)

The Academy Award-winning director of "An Inconvenient Truth" celebrates the electric guitar by examining the creative process of three virtuosos - Jimmy Page of Led Zeppelin, The Edge of U2 and Jack White of The White Stripes - including their individual development of songs not yet released.

Linkage

Twenty-six documentaries have been added to the lineup for the 2008 Toronto International Film Festival.

"It Might Get Loud," directed by Davis Guggenheim, USA (World Premiere)

The Academy Award-winning director of "An Inconvenient Truth" celebrates the electric guitar by examining the creative process of three virtuosos - Jimmy Page of Led Zeppelin, The Edge of U2 and Jack White of The White Stripes - including their individual development of songs not yet released.

Linkage

i can't make it, dandu....i'm counting on you for a full report!

sweeeet. I'll wanna see it if/when it is released.

The Edge is really good.

Jack White is an amazing guitarist, but that's about all he's good at. He can't sing worth a damn and he looks like a drowned rat with dimentia.

:o He's got an amazing voice! Just listen to his range on I'm Lonely, for instance! Great keyboardist, too. Looks are more subjective, though, so I'll leave that one alone. :D

:o He's got an amazing voice! Just listen to his range on I'm Lonely, for instance! Great keyboardist, too. Looks are more subjective, though, so I'll leave that one alone. :D

i love his vocals....and his guitar playing.

LMFAO!!! :hysterical:

It's funny 'cause it's true.

Nowadays people are very quick to throw 'genius' around at any kid who can spell at five. If you somehow bypass the hype and just listen, the music reveals itself for what it is. That's not to say it doesn't connect with people, but that should never be confused with virtuosity.

That said, I'll probably go and see this. Last year I happened to get gala tickets to Elizabeth: The Golden Age and all the actors and director were introduced on stage before the movie. If you're picky about what you see, then it's worth the extra money for the experience.

TIFF 2008

While I admit that the Bailey clip is amusing, his main point (i.e., The Edge can't really play) is rubbish. He should play the soaring solos in "New Year's Day" or "The End of the World" - they're f-ng beautiful! Most guitarists will never come close to the power and excitement of Edge's playing in "Wire" and "Like a Song".

OK, rant over. When does this Toronto Film Festival kick off? The linked article doesn't say.

Speaking of Jack White, he will be singing the new James Bond theme tune as a duet with Alicia Keyes. No, I am not joking.

When does this Toronto Film Festival kick off? The linked article doesn't say.

Looks like the Film Festival is happening between Sept 4-13 this year in Toronto.

Speaking of Jack White, he will be singing the new James Bond theme tune as a duet with Alicia Keyes. No, I am not joking.

Who'd have thought he'd produce an album for Loretta Lynn, either? That's one of the things I love about the guy, Mr Unpredictable. :D

Who'd have thought he'd produce an album for Loretta Lynn, either? That's one of the things I love about the guy, Mr Unpredictable. :D

Yes, Jack is a big country music fan. The White Stripes did a brilliant cover of Dolly Parton's "Jolene" (and Jack didn't change the gender of the song's narrator, which I thought was brave and also showed respect for Ms. Parton as a songwriter). They also had Porter Waggoner open a show for them in NYC; I believe that was Porter's last performance on this earth.

About the Alicia Keyes thang: I just don't think their voices will blend well, but hey - who could have predicted that Allison and Robert would sound so good together?

Its not that his voice itself is bad, just a lot of his vocals sound a lot like he's pinching off his throat and it results in a really whiny sound. He pinches it off and sometimes you can't tell he's singing falsetto. And just being able to sing high is not range. It's just high. Freddie Mercury had range, Jack just sings higher. He is a brilliant musician, though I'm not a huge fan. I did some research on him and it really seems like he's trying too hard to market his music more than making the actual music.

All that aside, he is probably the greatest guitarist of the past 10 years.

Its not that his voice itself is bad, just a lot of his vocals sound a lot like he's pinching off his throat and it results in a really whiny sound. He pinches it off and sometimes you can't tell he's singing falsetto. And just being able to sing high is not range. It's just high. Freddie Mercury had range, Jack just sings higher. He is a brilliant musician, though I'm not a huge fan. I did some research on him and it really seems like he's trying too hard to market his music more than making the actual music.

All that aside, he is probably the greatest guitarist of the past 10 years.

I totally agree. It wasn't his ability to sing high that I was referring to, but the fact that he can cover several octaves. Namely, range. Similarly, I don't think Robert Plant's main talent in the early Zeppelin days lay in how high he could push his voice, but in how well he could use it--and I think he uses it even better now, which is why it doesn't bother me at all if he's lost the top notes. I think Jack White uses his voice really well, too. (I don't really see that he can be faulted for not actually making music, btw, given the amount he's recorded and toured with his various different projects over the last few years.)

I totally agree. It wasn't his ability to sing high that I was referring to, but the fact that he can cover several octaves. Namely, range. Similarly, I don't think Robert Plant's main talent in the early Zeppelin days lay in how high he could push his voice, but in how well he could use it--and I think he uses it even better now, which is why it doesn't bother me at all if he's lost the top notes. I think Jack White uses his voice really well, too. (I don't really see that he can be faulted for not actually making music, btw, given the amount he's recorded and toured with his various different projects over the last few years.)

He uses his voice pretty well for the most part, but I'm still not a huge fan of his vocals all around for one reason: Parts of it (seven nation army is a good example) he sings like he's taking a huge shit.

He's a really odd person in a lot of ways, eccentric, i guess, but he does in a way I find more annoying and rather silly than in a Bob dylan sort of way.

He uses his voice pretty well for the most part, but I'm still not a huge fan of his vocals all around for one reason: Parts of it (seven nation army is a good example) he sings like he's taking a huge shit.

He's a really odd person in a lot of ways, eccentric, i guess, but he does in a way I find more annoying and rather silly than in a Bob dylan sort of way.

You mean with a sense of total abandon, commitment, and accomplishment? How true!

Tastes just differ. :D I'll grant you "eccentric."

Archived