OLYMPICS

BIGDAN

As the Olympics are about to start I thought I would ask everyone on here their thoughts on weather they have considered a TV boycott to protest about China or all the drug cheating going on.

I for one wont be watching any of it, and I wont be getting any takeaways from the local Chinese until its over.

As the Olympics are about to start I thought I would ask everyone on here their thoughts on weather they have considered a TV boycott to protest about China or all the drug cheating going on.

I for one wont be watching any of it, and I wont be getting any takeaways from the local Chinese until its over.

I never watch them anyway, I don't have the time. I would watch the Olympics if they had competitions for Rock n' Roll Bands from every country competing for a Gold Metal. ACAPULCO GOLD! ROCK ON!

I never watch them anyway, I don't have the time. I would watch the Olympics if they had competitions for Rock n' Roll Bands from every country competing for a Gold Metal. ACAPULCO GOLD! ROCK ON!

:beer: now that would be a great idea, zepfan ......

Trouble is, if the decisions in the boxing are anything to go by, the Bay City Rollers would win gold, and Zeppelin would be lucky to snatch a bronze <_<

Upon further consideration;I'd have to say no,"boycott" is a little strong.But,I'm already sick of the TV coverage/hype;and the fuckin' games haven't even started yet.I'll probably catch it whenever hometown boy Michael Phelps is competing,but I won't be glued to the TV...

Err...I wouldn't boycott it if I were you. :bagoverhead:

Sorry Knebby, you got me there, no need to reply.

Funny thing though, as it was you, I thought Robert might be competing in the microphone twirling competition. LOL

9.5 9.5 10 9.5 9.0 9.5

And the Gold Medal goes to, Little Robert Anthony Plant.

Fuck that. :thumbdown: You're taking advantage of athletes who have poured their whole life into training, just for the chance to compete in the games. Every day, these people have their sport on their mind. If they're not competing, they're training, focusing on their game and/or how they can improve themselves. And trust me, that is a hell of a lot to bear. I know, I've trained with some of them.

This is the highlight of many of their lives, and you're going to ignore it. And for what? A political statement? The Olympics are not about politics. They are about human achievement. I'm all for standing up for your beliefs and whatnot. But if you're going to do it, you need to go about it in the right manner. And unfortunately (:rolleyes:), the Olympics and China's governmental issues are completely unrelated.

And plus, you think they care if you watch? Hell no. If there was any chance of a protest having an actual result, it would've had to take place before China was confirmed to be holding the Olympics. Which was a long time ago. They're already holding the games. The athletes have been there for a while already. THAT is what they care about. Any protest at this point is nothing more than a feel-good placebo of sorts.

Fuck that. :thumbdown: You're taking advantage of athletes who have poured their whole life into training, just for the chance to compete in the games. Every day, these people have their sport on their mind. If they're not competing, they're training, focusing on their game and/or how they can improve themselves. And trust me, that is a hell of a lot to bear. I know, I've trained with some of them.

This is the highlight of many of their lives, and you're going to ignore it. And for what? A political statement? The Olympics are not about politics. They are about human achievement. I'm all for standing up for your beliefs and whatnot. But if you're going to do it, you need to go about it in the right manner. And unfortunately (:rolleyes:), the Olympics and China's governmental issues are completely unrelated.

And plus, you think they care if you watch? Hell no. If there was any chance of a protest having an actual result, it would've had to take place before China was confirmed to be holding the Olympics. Which was a long time ago. They're already holding the games. The athletes have been there for a while already. THAT is what they care about. Any protest at this point is nothing more than a feel-good placebo of sorts.

I just wish the anti-gun jackass broadcasters would show more of the shooting competitions.

<_<

Will I be watching the Olympics on television? No, I don't think so. The inherent politics, scandals, and corruption does detract far too much from it's entertainment value. Then

there are the insufferable "human interest stories" specfically designed to make you

care about some long distance runner from Kenya you've never heard of before nor

ever shall again. The jingoism of the "Olympic movement" is equally grating on one's

nerves. At the end of the day it's little more than a corporate forum to sell products.

I think you'll miss alot. But each to his own. :D

Ye Guozhu must be released immediately

23 July 2008

Amnesty International today demanded the immediate release of housing rights activist Ye Guozhu, who was arrested and sentenced in December 2004, after he applied for permission to hold a demonstration against forced evictions in Beijing.

The Chinese authorities say they will now not free Ye Guozhu when his four-year prison sentence expires on 26 July. Instead he will remain imprisoned until at least 1 October, after the end of the 2008 Olympic Games.

"Ye Guozhu is being kept in prison to prevent him from speaking out about the people, like himself, who were forcibly evicted from their homes in Beijing to make room for the Olympics," said Amnesty International.

"This is in complete contradiction of the promises China made to improve human rights before the start of the Games."

According to Ye's family, the Chaobai prison authorities telephoned them on 22 July, informing the family that they should not go to the prison to receive Ye Guozhu on 26 July, the original date for his release.

The prison authorities were reported to have said that Beijing Xuanwu district police had taken Ye away. The Xuanwu District police later said that for the good of the family and to keep them out of trouble during the Games, the police would take care of Ye Guozhu.

They would not however, allow him to return home until sometime after 1 October 2008. The police refused to let the family meet Ye Guozhu or tell them where he is now being detained.

Ye Guozhu, considered by Amnesty International as a prisoner of conscience, was convicted of “picking quarrels and stirring up trouble” because of his opposition to the seizure and demolition of property to make way for new construction projects for next month’s Olympic Games.

Ye Guozhu’s restaurant and living quarters were among many properties seized when officials of Beijing’s Xuanwu District, along with developers, forcibly evicted a large number of city residents. He received no compensation.

http://www.amnesty.org/en/news-and-updates...iately-20080723

:beer: now that would be a great idea, zepfan ......

Trouble is, if the decisions in the boxing are anything to go by, the Bay City Rollers would win gold, and Zeppelin would be lucky to snatch a bronze <_<

Ha Ha, hopefully they don't have any drug testing! ROCK ON!

Breaking News.......Page to be the ODT, Olympic Drug Tester!!!! LOL

Ha Ha, thanks to Pagey, a lot of old world records as well as new world records are going to be broken thanks to all of the steroids that Pagey is going to be sneaking to the athletes. ROCK ON!

Ha Ha, thanks to Pagey, a lot of old world records as well as new world records are going to be broken thanks to all of the steroids that Pagey is going to be sneaking to the athletes. ROCK ON!

Sorry mate you misunderstood me, he has to gargle the samples. LOL

I wont be watching the olympics for the reason that it just doesnt interest me. Now If I had tickets to see some of the events live I would definantly go. I like the X Games a million times better, Im waiting for a bananna board competition to open up and maybe get the gold, or some Acapulco gold at least.

I wont be watching the olympics for the reason that it just doesnt interest me. Now If I had tickets to see some of the events live I would definantly go. I like the X Games a million times better, Im waiting for a bananna board competition to open up and maybe get the gold, or some Acapulco gold at least.

I wouldn't go if you gave me a gold medal for farting, what if Al-Qaeda turn up mob handed with padded trackies?

Archived