Jimmy and Marianne Faithfull

MHD

This segment of a feature on Marianne Faithfull in this month's Mojo made me smile. I suppose it's one way to get Jimmy to write you a song! :D

For reference the "he" is Tony Calder who was Marianne's manager at the time of her first 2 albums. He was also an associate of Andrew Loog Oldham.

Tony talking about Marianne's first albums....

"Marianne wanted credibilty so it had to be folk," he says. He knew nothing but rock 'n' roll and presumed he'd detest it. But he came up with a positive compromise: "Make a folk album and a pop album." She agreed. He reckoned he'd sort it out with Decca later.

He concentrated on gathering the right material for the pop album, including some unorthodox proactive A&R when in Los Angeles with Jimmy Page: "One night I couldn't get into our hotel room because Jimmy and Jackie DeShannon were in there shagging, so I yelled, When you've finished could you write a song for Marianne?" His coarse approach bore fruit as DeShannon proffered Come and Stay With Me, Faithfull's second hit (Number 4 in February 1965) and with Page, wrote an album track for her, In My Time Of Sorrow.

Taken from the article Fallen Angel by Phil Sutcliffe, MOJO September 2008

He concentrated on gathering the right material for the pop album, including some unorthodox proactive A&R when in Los Angeles with Jimmy Page: "One night I couldn't get into our hotel room because Jimmy and Jackie DeShannon were in there shagging, so I yelled, When you've finished could you write a song for Marianne?" His coarse approach bore fruit as DeShannon proffered Come and Stay With Me, Faithfull's second hit (Number 4 in February 1965) and with Page, wrote an album track for her, In My Time Of Sorrow.

Taken from the article Fallen Angel by Phil Sutcliffe, MOJO September 2008

This story reminds me of the rumor about Eddie Van Halen meeting John Bonham at the Rainbow, rumors of suggested legal pressures by Chris Dreja's legal representation, Jimmy Page attending tour dates of the Jeff Beck Group's second tour, the discussion on when and where Jimmy Page recorded on Heart of Stone, and rumors about Mars chocolate bars, the Rolling Stones and Marianne Faithfull.

It's one of those stories that resurfaces every so often, that may or may not have had its origin in the Sun many moons ago. Those kinds of stories are self-perpetuating. So far it appears the songs by Jackie DeShannon and Jimmy Page were written in London, and the tale about Los Angeles appears to be somewhat mythological, as usual. No one ever proves these storeis, and yet they keep coming back.

Jackie DeShannon was in Los Angeles in 1964. Andrew Loog Oldham was in Los Angeles in 1964. I remember Jimmy Page being around Los Angeles in 1966.

Come And Stay With Me was one of Marianne Faithfull's early songs.

My Time of Sorrow was a lesser heard song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JRv6iCCYQocould really sing, but she could dance the jerk and wore really cool skirts, too.

Because Andrew Oldham forged a friendship with Phil Spector in early 1964, when the Stones started recording in Los Angeles at the end of the same year, they were inevitably introduced to Jack Nitzsche as well, who became an important collaborator with the Stones for the next few years and occasionally beyond. He worked with them as an arranger and occasional musical contributor, playing keyboards and percussion (e.g. Down Home Girl, Heart of Stone, Play with Fire, Satisfaction and many Aftermath tracks) on the albums The Rolling Stones Now!, Out of Our Heads, December's Children and Aftermath (the albums they recorded primarily in L.A.). His last work of this period with the Stones was in the early sessions for Between the Buttons in August 1966, when he contributed to songs like Let's Spend the Night Together and Yesterday's Papers.

Before creating Led Zeppelin in 1968, Page spent time as one of the Yardbirds, who had gotten their start like the Stones surrounding the Alexis Korner scene in London. But before that, he was also a session musician, working in the early to mid-1960s with artists like Brenda Lee and the early David Bowie. In 1964 he also participated at Andrew Oldham Orchestra sessions as well and plays on their version of Heart of Stone (which appears on the Metamorphosis album). At this point, when Brian started becoming more incapacitated and troublesome to the band, the Stones toyed with the idea of replacing Brian with Page, as Bill Wyman later revealed..

http://www.timeisonourside.com/whydontLQ.html

HEART OF STONE

First recorded in July of 1964 with Jimmy Page, that version was not released until 1975, on the album Metamorphosis. Re-recorded November 2, '64 and released two weeks later in the US as a single, and then released in the US on the album The Rolling Stones Now in February of 1965. Released in September of '65 in the UK on the album Out Of Our Heads.

Lead Vocal: Mick Jagger Weaving Electric Guitars: Keith Richards & Brian Jones Bass: Bill Wyman Drums: Charlie Watts Tambourine: Mick Jagger (?) or Brian Jones (?) Background Vocals: Mick Jagger & Bill Wyman

http://www.keno.org/stones_lyrics/heart_of_stone.htm

Recording began on November 2, 1964 at Los Angeles' RCA Studios. Each of the Stones plays their respective instruments, with Jagger on vocals, Richards and Brian Jones on guitars, Bill Wyman on bass, and Charlie Watts on drums. Jack Nitzsche performs both tambourine and piano.

"Heart of Stone" was released in December 1964, and became their second Top 20 hit in the US, reaching #19. The song was released the following February on the US-only album The Rolling Stones, Now!, but was not given a UK release until September 1965 release of Out of Our Heads. It would later be included on the compilation discs Hot Rocks and Big Hits (High Tide and Green Grass).

A different, longer version released in 1975 on the album Metamorphosis had been recorded on 21-23 July 1964 with Jimmy Page on guitar and Clem Cattini on drums, probably as a demo.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heart_of_Stone_(song)

The tracks were recorded from 1964-70 as follows:

Jun 10-11, 1964 at Chess Studios in Chicago

.....Don't Lie To Me (a Chuck Berry song, STILL wrongly credited to Jagger & Richards)

Jun 29 - Jul 7, 1964 at Regent Sound and Decca Studios in London

.....#Try A Little Harder (with Jimmy Page)

.....#Some Things Just Stick In Your Mind (with Jimmy Page)

Jul, 1964 at Regent Sound in London.....#Heart Of Stone (Metamorphosis has the only release of this version)http://www.amazon.com/Metamorphosis-Rolling-Stones/dp/B00006AW2F

So Jimmy Page was recording in London at Regent Sound and Decca in June and July, 1964. Also, there is no mention of Jimmy Page playing in Los Angeles in November when the Stones recorded the next version of Heart of Stone.

037 1 Heart Of Stone 3'49 AOO Session, Regent Sound Studios, London 1964-07-21ff Brian Jones, Keith Richards, Charlie Watts and Bill Wyman not present; guitar by John McLaughlin; bass by Jimmy Page; drums by Clem Cattini

The Rolling Stones, 1962-200X: Cool, Calm & Collected

Long-Term Digital Project © by Felix Aeppli

Ph.D. & Expert on Contemporary Artistic Media, CH-8055 Zurich / Switzerland

http://aeppli.ch/Cool/Ent030-037A.html

As late as August-September, 1964, Jimmy Page was still recording in London. Jackie DeShannon was touring with the Beatles in 1964.

640831A 31st August - 4th September (not 2nd September): London, Regent Sound

Studios and Decca Studios. Producer: Andrew Oldham.

- We're Wastin' Time (MJ/KR) -demo for Jimmy Tarbuck; Metamorphosis-version

Musicians: MJ (voc)/KR (gtr)/Jim Sullivan (gtr)/John McLaughlin (gtr)/

Jimmy Page (gtr, maybe bass)/Joe Moretti (gtr)/John Paul

Jones (maybe bass)/Andy White (dr)/Mike Leander (arranger)

http://www.nzentgraf.de/books/tcw/1964.htm

Edited by eternal light

He concentrated on gathering the right material for the pop album, including some unorthodox proactive A&R when in Los Angeles with Jimmy Page

This one passage makes his entire claim dubious to me, for as I understand it Jimmy

accompanied Jackie to New York City, not Los Angeles.

This one passage makes his entire claim dubious to me, for as I understand it Jimmy

accompanied Jackie to New York City, not Los Angeles.

Staying briefly in England in 1965, DeShannon formed a songwriting partnership with Jimmy Page, which resulted in the hit singles "Dream Boy" and "Don't Turn Your Back On Me". Page and DeShannon also wrote material for singer Marianne Faithfull, including her Top Ten UK and U.S. hit "Come and Stay With Me". DeShannon also appeared on the television show Ready Steady Go!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jackie_DeShannon

Jackie also worked with Jimmy Page early in his career. “When I was recording in England I was looking for a really good acoustic player. I heard there was this new kid who had been playing around a lot. So I played him this thing, my little riff, which I was very picky about how exactly I wanted it. But Jimmy played it back to me, of course ten times better, and it was perfect; it was great!”

http://www.amazon.com/You-Know-Me-Jackie-D...n/dp/B00004YLL0

A performer since adolescence in her native Kentucky, she moved to Los Angeles with her family at age 16, on the advice of rockabilly hero Eddie Cochran. With cowriter Sharon Sheeley, she penned pop-country star Brenda Lee's 1961 hit "Dum Dum" and soul singer Irma Thomas's regional B-side hit "Breakaway," covered by Tracey Ullman in 1983. DeShannon cut Sonny Bono and Jack Nitzsche's "Needles and Pins" (recorded by the Ramones on 1978's Road to Ruin) in 1963; English group the Searchers heard it, dug it, and scored its own U.S./U.K. hit with the track a year later. That band, a pioneer of folk-rock, also notched a 1964 Top 40 U.S. hit with DeShannon's own "When You Walk in the Room." In London later that year, she met then-unknown guitarist Jimmy Page and wrote some songs with him that were recorded by Marianne Faithfull, who had a 1965 British and American hit with DeShannon's "Come and Stay With Me."

http://www.lacitybeat.com/cms/story/detail...mp;IssueNum=174

Edited by eternal light

True enough, but I believe Jimmy acccompanied her back to New York at the end of her stay. The significance of that trip is it would have been Jimmy's first visit to the USA. I

shall have to dig thru notes to confirm...

I remember Jimmy Page being in Los Angeles in 1966. New York in 1965 would be plausible. Either way, when they wrote the songs for Marianne Faithfull, they were in London.

Staying briefly in England in 1965, DeShannon formed a songwriting partnership with Jimmy Page, which resulted in the hit singles "Dream Boy" and "Don't Turn Your Back On Me". Page and DeShannon also wrote material for singer Marianne Faithfull, including her Top Ten UK and U.S. hit "Come and Stay With Me". DeShannon also appeared on the television show Ready Steady Go!

Moving to New York, DeShannon co-wrote with Randy Newman, producing such songs as "She Don't Understand Him" and "Did He Call Today Mama?", as well as writing "You Have No Choice" for Delaney Bramlett. In March 1965, DeShannon recorded Burt Bacharach and Hal David's "What the World Needs Now Is Love," which provided her first Number 1 hit and regular appearances on television shows and club tours.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jackie_DeShannon

Edited by eternal light

• 11 years later...

Marianne-Faithfull.jpg.e0699ad012c41c9d8d51592531fbebf0.jpg

Marianne Faithfull Released From Hospital After Covid-19 Battle

Corey Irwin - April 22, 2020

Singer Marianne Faithfull has been released from hospital following a battle with coronavirus.

"We are really happy to say that Marianne has been discharged from hospital today, 22 days after being admitted suffering from the symptoms of Covid-19," noted a tweet from the singer's official account. "She will continue to recuperate in London."

In a follow-up tweet, Faithful thanked fans for their "kind messages of concern which have meant a great deal through what is such a difficult time for so many. (Marianne) is also very grateful to all the NHS staff who cared for her at the hospital and , without doubt, saved her life."

"We are really happy to say that Marianne has been discharged from hospital today, 22 days after being admitted suffering from the symptoms of Covid-19. She will continue to recuperate in London.

-MarianneFaithful (@Faithfull_M) April 22, 2020"

"Marianne thanks you all for your kind messages of concern which have meant a great deal through what is such a difficult time for so many. She is also very grateful to all the NHS staff who cared for her at the hospital and, without doubt, saved her life.

-MarianneFaithfull (@Faithfull_M) April 22, 2020"

Faithful was originally hospitalized on April 4 after contracting COVID-19. The 73 year-old singer remained "stable and respond(ed) to treatment" during her time in care, though her ex-husband John Dunbar reported she could "barely speak" during her long road to recovery.

Faithfull shot to stardom in the '60s, scoring her first big hit song with 1964's "As Tears Go By." The track was penned by Keith Richards and Mick Jagger of the Rolling Stones, the latter of whom would be romantically involved with Faithful through 1970. The singer continued carving out a long and influential career, releasing more than 20 studio albums across six decades, including her most recent LP, 2018's Negative Compatibility.

Still, the blonde bombshell experienced many struggles along the way, including continuous battles with substance abuse. The singer was routinely in and out of rehab and was even homeless at one point as the result of her addictions. More recently, Faithfull has overcome a handful of ailments, including a broken back in 2013 and a broken hip the following year. A movie about the singer's life was scheduled to begin this fall, with Bohemian Rhapsody actress Lucy Boynton in the starring role.

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/marianne-faithfull-released-covid-19/

Edited by luvlz2

• 8 months later...