Donington Rock Festivals

leddy

Just wondered if anyone went to any of these festivals ?? I see that for next years Download there are rumours of AC/DC, Muse and Foo Fighters...I would go if the first two do it !! in fact my friend said it would be 20 yrs next year since we went to our first there and that we should go !!

I went to the following part 1

1988 irontic.jpgIron Maiden

Castle Donington, the home of Heavy Metal. I always had fun at these festivals. The atmosphere the night before was always one of anticiption and excitement for the next day as a sea of tents would appear overnight.

This was to be Doningtons biggest attended gig. All the bands were good with Dave Lee Roth coming up tops in the support bands stakes.

As with all Doningtons that I went to, the bonfires would be lit at dusk. Anyone going to these gigs will know that plastic bottles of bodily fluid would be thrown as well. It was a case of ducking and diving.

Iron maiden played a blinder(It started to rain as they came on) and were the best headline act out of the Doningtons that I went to. (I am from the old school who think that their first album was the best)The weekend was a good one.

1990 snaketic.jpgWhitesnake

Ahh 1990 the mullet festival. The best overall Donington that I went to, great bill and good weather (again).

Jimmy Page came and did some encores with Aerosmith ("Train Kept a Rollin" and "Walk This Way" If I remember).I didn't know he was there that day. When Steve Tyler announced that he was coming on, every one cheered(my mate shot back over the wall as he was anounced and forgot about getting his burger while he was on). Aeromith and Thunder were the best bands of the day. I think that Thunder went down the best for an opening act that I have ever seen. Donington crowds usually chuck things on to the stage for opening acts.

I was really looking forward to seeing Whitesnake as I love the old stuff as well as their hairperm latterday stuff. They were good but Coverdale's voice was shot to bits and swore every other word, it seemed as though they were going through the motions.

1991 actic.jpgAC/DC

This year I broke my ribs two days before the festival(but thats another story). AC/DC had the drummer Chris Slade in their ranks who had been in the band The firm in the 80's with Jimmy page and Paul Rogers. All the bands were strong and I enjoyed every set(Metallica especially). AC/DC played well going through their repertoire of three chord songs and were worthy of headlining for the 3rd time. It was great to hear lots of songs from the classic "Back in Black" album (the first album that I ever bought way back in 1980). The ending to "For those about to Rock" is gteat with the cannons going off (The 1812 oveture of rock).

I don't know if any of you used to go', but the nutters always found me out when the headline band were on. I found that if you acted strange back to them they would freak and move and let you enjoy the rest of the show.

I also went to ozzfest and download at Donington too, I will post those up in another post later !

• 1 month later...

I was there '87 and '88...great memories..Friday night was party night, bonfires everywhere, it was one big party :drunk: In '87 the heavens opened during the Saturday night/Sunday morning and our tent and all its contents were completely sodden. I vividly remember riding home on the back of my then boyfriends bike in soaking wet jeans! not good..

I was there '87 and '88...great memories..Friday night was party night, bonfires everywhere, it was one big party :drunk: In '87 the heavens opened during the Saturday night/Sunday morning and our tent and all its contents were completely sodden. I vividly remember riding home on the back of my then boyfriends bike in soaking wet jeans! not good..

Yeah another person who went to some !! and you were there in 1988 too, cool !!! Yes the night before with the bonfires and the music blaring out everywhere with the mini city that was created by tents !! Ah good days :)

I also went to 90 and 91 as I said above plus The Ozzfest in 2002 that was at Donington with Ozzy and 2004 (Download) when Metallica headlined !!

The only one I went to was the last one in 1996. KISS, Ozzy & Sepultura played, I can't remember who else. I do remember that Sepultura played a bit of 'Dazed & Confused' though.

It was the maddest festival I ever attended, that's for sure!

The only one I went to was the last one in 1996. KISS, Ozzy & Sepultura played, I can't remember who else. I do remember that Sepultura played a bit of 'Dazed & Confused' though.

It was the maddest festival I ever attended, that's for sure!

have you been back to Donington since to the Download Festival strated ????

I was at the Monsters of Rock, Donnington '94. Aerosmith. :thumbsup:

Cool, They were good in 1990 when Page encored with them !!, that was great stuff !!!

Who else was on the bill in 94 ??

Cool, They were good in 1990 when Page encored with them !!, that was great stuff !!!

Who else was on the bill in 94 ??

Donnington Monsters Of Rock Lineup 1994

Saturday 4th June

Main Stage

Aerosmith, Extreme, Sepultura, Pantera, Therapy?, Pride & Glory,

Second Stage

The Wildhearts, Cry Of Love, Biohazard, Skin, Terrorvision, Headswim.

So, nobody of any significance!!!

Archived