Unexpected Encounters with Band Members Thread

Okay, I've seen a few other stories knocking around here, so thought why not start a thread (ummmmmmmm, if there isn't one already). I have had a few enounters with Robert Plant over the years and met John Paul Jones at a London Borders signing of "Thunderthief", but am most fond of this one where I bumped into Jimmy Page.

One December (think it was 2004), I was walking away from Harrods, Knightsbridge, London, towards Harvey Nichols and became aware of someone looking at me. I'm pretty tuned-in, as I have done a lot of meditation over the years and my eyes connected to a middle-aged man walking towards me, who looked rather familiar. It took several seconds to register why..... it was none other than Jimmy Page. I could never had lived with myself if I had not said something to him, so, I hesitantly blurted out, "Excuse me, are you Jimmy Page?" To my astonishment he said yes, smiled widely and extended his hand to shake mine. I was truly taken aback but such a gesture and promptly extended mine too. There was a decided energy transfer in the hand shake (I know this sounds nuts, but that is what I felt), which was quite something and altogether different from what I have felt shaking anyone elses hand, ever. I asked him how the DVD was coming along (as he was editing it at that time) and he mubbled a few positive words and I also asked (rather hopefully) if he was planning on playing any little gigs soon, to which he said no and smiled. I sensed he didn't really want to take the conversation anywhere else and started to move away; he probably was frightened I'd ask him about his Crowley regalia or something (JOKE) and he was off.

I have met quite a slew of famous people (mainly rock stars) and I'd say with no hesitation he radiated a certain special charisma and energy that no others had, you could literally feel it physically!! The only people I have met who possessed such a quality were spiritual teachers I have been fortunate to have met over the years.

Indi.

I've been fortunate to meet Jimmy Page, Robert Plant, John Paul Jones, Jason Bonham and Bill Curbishley (Page/Plant manager) on separate occasions. I don't want to go into the

particulars of my meeting Jimmy Page in a public forum as it was a private meeting at his

home. Suffice to say, it remains among the highlights of my life and ended with a warm, farewell handshake I'll never forget either.

Okay, I've seen a few other stories knocking around here, so thought why not start a thread (ummmmmmmm, if there isn't one already). I have had a few enounters with Robert Plant over the years and met John Paul Jones at a London Borders signing of "Thunderthief", but am most fond of this one where I bumped into Jimmy Page.

One December (think it was 2004), I was walking away from Harrods, Knightsbridge, London, towards Harvey Nichols and became aware of someone looking at me. I'm pretty tuned-in, as I have done a lot of meditation over the years and my eyes connected to a middle-aged man walking towards me, who looked rather familiar. It took several seconds to register why..... it was none other than Jimmy Page. I could never had lived with myself if I had not said something to him, so, I hesitantly blurted out, "Excuse me, are you Jimmy Page?" To my astonishment he said yes, smiled widely and extended his hand to shake mine. I was truly taken aback but such a gesture and promptly extended mine too. There was a decided energy transfer in the hand shake (I know this sounds nuts, but that is what I felt), which was quite something and altogther different from what I have felt shaking anyone elses hand, ever. I asked him how the DVD was coming along (as he was editing it at that time) and he mubbled a few positive words and I also asked (rather hopefully) if he was planning on playing any little gigs soon, to which he said no and smiled. I sensed he didn't really want to take the conversation anywhere else and started to move away; he probably was frightened I'd ask him about his Crowley regalia or something (JOKE) and he was off.

I have met quite a slew of famous people (mainly rock stars) and I'd say with no hesitation he radiated a certain special charisma and energy that no others had, you could literally feel it physically!! The only people I have met who possessed such a quality were spiritual teachers I have been fortunate to have met over the years.

Indi.

I'm not at all surprised to hear you say these things. I've never met Jimmy, but he seems like such a magical (no pun intended) and charismatic person. I've often wondered what I would say if I met him, and sadly, I think the only thing I might be able to get out is "You're awesome!" before I wet myself or something. :( Oh well, probably best to keep our relationship as it is - rock star and anonymous fan. :)

Thanks for the story. ;)

I'm not at all surprised to hear you say these things. I've never met Jimmy, but he seems like such a magical (no pun intended) and charismatic person. I've often wondered what I would say if I met him, and sadly, I think the only thing I might be able to get out is "You're awesome!" before I wet myself or something. :( Oh well, probably best to keep our relationship as it is - rock star and anonymous fan. :)

Thanks for the story. ;)

he is truly magical. a soul that radiates warmth.

hey...on a seperate note. is he still with his wife? the young 1?

I was lucky enough to interview both Page and Plant on TFI Friday nearly 10 years ago. Best 15 minutes of my life

Really? The board is to believe that you are Chris Evans? Your first post indicates you

have neither a UK passport nor a driver's license. How unfortunate for you..."Chris".

EDIT: Excuse me, I just thought of something. Are you that big bald bloke that Chris invited over to speak with them?

Really? The board is to believe that you are Chris Evans? Your first post indicates you

have neither a UK passport nor a driver's license. How unfortunate for you..."Chris".

And the board is to believe you sat in Jimmy Page's house and shook hands with him after a mysterious session of chatting and tea?

And the board is to believe you sat in Jimmy Page's house and shook hands with him after a mysterious session of chatting and tea?

Well this does happen sometimes mate. Jimmy does have a life, and encounters people.

I bumped into Robert in Camden market once. And on The Kings Road outside a shop called "Ho Lee Fook". I was amused. :D

Why would I lie, "Bonham"? I'm not the one cloaked in anonymity. It's my reputation at stake every time I make a post. If you choose not to believe me that's your perogative, but as a courtesy don't insinuate I'm a liar, lest I choose to ignore you.

EDIT: Excuse me, I just thought of something. Are you that big bald bloke that Chris invited over to speak with them?

Yep, the bald bloke who Chris invited over to speak with them, thanks for the bald comment..

zeppelin 77

am i right to think you were at reading 98 to see page & plant. i was stood next to a chap and we briefly acknowleded each other while waiting for the band to come on. a little later i thought "i know him from somewhere" and it dawned on me it was probably the TFI man. were you there?

anyhow you did well on TFI.

Yep, the bald bloke who Chris invited over to speak with them, thanks for the bald comment..

No offense intended! You reminded me of Matt P., who used to host Mattrock on MTV.

He interviewed them the following month in New York. You looked thrilled to see them.

I remember that and this bald bloke was thinking what a lucky bastard you were, nothing to do with you being bald tho just lucky. :D

No offense intended! You reminded me of Matt P., who used to host Mattrock on MTV.

He interviewed them the following month in New York. You looked thrilled to see them.

Non taken, suffice to say what an unbelievable day that was. Plant was such a nice bloke in the dressing room discussing the writing of the Ocean with his daughter listening intently to our conversation.

Anyway just the small problem of getting into the gig with only my work ID, no driving license or passport.(dont drive and want fly)

Non taken, suffice to say what an unbelievable day that was. Plant was such a nice bloke in the dressing room discussing the writing of the Ocean with his daughter listening intently to our conversation.

Anyway just the small problem of getting into the gig with only my work ID, no driving license or passport.(dont drive and want fly)

I could send you a copy of your appearance with them on TGI Friday but you'd never

get it in time. Besides, I doubt they have a dvd player in the box office. :) Bring your

Inland Revenue documentation or something. Maybe give them a call and explain.

I was lucky enough to meet Jimmy back in 2001. He was doing some kind of guitar promotion at Mars Music in Ft. Lauderdale at the time. I just happened to be in the right place at the right time (which is EXACLY what he said to me while autographing my Page/Plant shirt!) Later, I attended the ABC Trust dinner event down there and got to say hello again. Jimmy was quite friendly, and I made sure not to take up too much of his time. But it was cool meeting my guitar hero, I must say!

I was lucky enough to meet Jimmy back in 2001. He was doing some kind of guitar promotion at Mars Music in Ft. Lauderdale at the time. I just happened to be in the right place at the right time (which is EXACLY what he said to me while autographing my Page/Plant shirt!) Later, I attended the ABC Trust dinner event down there and got to say hello again. Jimmy was quite friendly, and I made sure not to take up too much of his time. But it was cool meeting my guitar hero, I must say!

Ouch - I always hear about these things years too late :( Was the Mars Music promotion like a unpublicized event, is that why Jimmy said you were in the right place at the right time?

Ouch - I always hear about these things years too late :( Was the Mars Music promotion like a unpublicized event, is that why Jimmy said you were in the right place at the right time?

Yes, it was unpublicized. However, some people must have gotten a tip, as they had their Zep albums with them, ready to sign. :lol:

I honestly had no idea. I walked in, headed for the strings and heard some gasps in the background. I turn around, and there he is with Jimena! I about crapped.

I let the "crowd" do their thing, I didn't want to act like a groupie. But as Jimmy was leaving he walked right past me, saw the shirt I was wearing and signed it on the spot. Haven't worn the shirt since, needless to say.

Archived