Led Zeppelin Japanese magazine covers

rockthing

2083882590_8f61c563e5.jpg

Led Zeppelin vs. Deep Purple ! :huh::lol:

The article contrast the groups member for member rating each on various points such as technique, stage performance and influence.

The curious part is that John Paul Jones goes up against Roger Glover (and amazingly loses!) but not Jon Lord :huh:

I can post the full results (or at least those I can read without too much trouble) if there is interest....

2083882580_cebf088867.jpg

Rock Jet Magazine.

A special feature on Led Zeppelin creatively titled Houses of the Holy

They interview some Japanese Zep-fan musicians about their impressions of the new TSRTS CD and DVD releases. A lot of B/W photos on pulp, but a handful of full color glossies at the front. Also a section on Led Zeppelin's occult influences.

]

2083882570_32766c6e1f.jpg

Record Collector's Magazine.

This one is really interesting.

It has a song-by-song breakdown for the original DVD release, the new DVD release, the MSG material from the 2003 DVD, the original release of the soundtrack and the new live album of the same name. They made a chart for which night's audio was used and where the edits are. It also points out bits of studio overdub or borrowed phrases from an alternate night. I suspect they've been reading The Garden Tapes.

It also has a nice discography with photos and descriptions of various issues of the film and soundtrack, including 4 different Japanese issues of Laser Disk, VHS, and LP.

There were a couple others that were interesting, but I put priority on these.

Record Collector's Magazine.

This one is really interesting.

It has a song-by-song breakdown for the original DVD release, the new DVD release, the MSG material from the 2003 DVD, the original release of the soundtrack and the new live album of the same name. They made a chart for which night's audio was used and where the edits are. It also points out bits of studio overdub or borrowed phrases from an alternate night. I suspect they've been reading The Garden Tapes.

It also has a nice discography with photos and descriptions of various issues of the film and soundtrack, including 4 different Japanese issues of Laser Disk, VHS, and LP.

There were a couple others that were interesting, but I put priority on these.

Yes, I've seen this magazine around but I couldn't find any infos or web site.

I know that it's the december issue and I've seen a couple of inside pictures but I'ld to have more infos and how to buy a copy. Ah, please, I'm not in the US so I'm looking hopefully for the official address or similar.

Any help??

thanks

luke

2083882590_8f61c563e5.jpg

Otona No Rokku (Adult Rock) 2008 Winter Volume 13.

The date says 15 January 2008

The publisher's address is

1-17-3 Hakkin

Minato-ku

Tokyo

108-8646

Though I can't immediately make out the name of the publisher

and there is no web site that is easily recognizable.

looks like the ISBN is 4910071840183-00838

Article content to come.

2083882580_cebf088867.jpg

Rock Jet Magazine. Vol. 30

21 December 2007

ISBN978-4-401-63160-5

published by

Shinko Music Entertainment

http://www.shinko-music.co.jp

They give 50% off handling charges for orders over ¥3000 (yen, about $26 give or take)

These guys are releasing the Japanese translation of Dave Lewis' "A Celebration" as well.

Record Collector's Magazine December 2007 Vol. 26 No. 12

1 December 2007

published by Music Magazine

ISBN4910196371272 (maybe)

Deep Purple vs. Led Zeppelin, part 1

Two Japanese musicians who debuted in the 80s and are unabashed fans of each band give their opinions on various points.

Jyun Jimoyama , a former member of The Roosters picks his top 3 Led Zeppelin guitar tracks for beginners.

Communication Breakdown

Night Flight

Friends

Akira Kajiyama formerly of Precious (and who recently released an album with Joe Lynn Turner on vocals!) picks his top 3 Deep Purple songs for beginner guitarists.

Burn

Highway Star

Speed King

I'll get to the member by member comparisons, maybe tomorrow.

Busy week, but it's too good not to post.

Cool! Thanks rockthing :kiss:

I knew I should've taken Japanese <_<

You're welcome :) or should I say 'Thank you' :)

Deep Purple vs. Led Zeppelin, part 2

Ritchie Blackmore vs Jimmy Page

by Youhei Matsunaga

Technique

4 stars vs 3 1/2 stars

Riffs

4 stars vs 5 stars

Stage Act

4 stars vs 4 1/2 stars

Sexual Charisma

5 stars (in Japan) vs 5 stars (In Europe or America)

Influence

4 stars vs 5 stars

21 to 23, Page wins!

The writer notes that the only reason he didn't give page 5 stars for his stage act was because he had the misfortune of seeing some film of a show where page was too drunk to play.

Guest columnist and member of The Crazy Ken Band, Masao Onose also points out a difference between not just Page and Blackmore, but between Zep and Purple. Normally in Zeppelin's case it is said that without each individual member the band cannot exist. Deep Purple as a group has a life of its own regardless or vocal or even guitarist changes.

Ok, that's all I have time for today, next up, Robert Plant vs Ian Gillan.

Interesting, I'll look out for those.

I'm heading out to Japan on December 14th.

mmmm...can't wait to hit those bootleg stores!

Careful :)

You should try downloading, it's much more satisfying, not to mention reasonable.

Though, some of those Tarantur/la releases are in gorgeous packages, but you'll pay.

Thanks rockthing! I didn't realise these were hot off the presses (Zep vs Deep Purple?) :)

Well, three more titles for my want list...

Yeah, just picked them up at HMV when I was looking for the Collector's edition TSRTS, which is sold out indefinitely. I was about to order on Amazon, but I just realised that I need a region 2 DVD.... and a region 1, since I won't be in Japan forever (I hope not at least)

• 2 weeks later...

Deep Purple vs Led Zeppelin part 3 (actually stage 2 in the magazine... the 'top tracks for beginning guitarists' didn't count.

Masayuki Tanaka formerly of Crystal King, now advertisement and game theme composer rates Ian Gillan and Robert Plant.

By the looks of the stock photo, he was a David Coverdale impersonator in his hey-day. :lol: (I thought it WAS a pic of Purple era Coverdale!)

Ian Gillan vs. Robert Plant

Singing Power

4 stars vs. 5 stars

Performance

2 stars vs. 5 stars

Emphasis on Sexiness

0 stars vs. 5 stars

Fashion

1 star vs. 2 stars

Influence

5 stars vs. 4 stars

12 to 21 Robert Plant wins

Does anyone have an image of Gillan performing on stage? Though, Tanaka laughs, Fashion is certainly Plant's weakness. Plant wins hands down in the areas of Performance and emphasis on sexiness. As far as influence is concerned, as a gateway into rock music Purple is much more important for Japanese music fans.

Plant established the boy-god aesthetic for vocalists.

Tanaka saw Led Zeppelin in Hiroshima on their first tour of Japan in 1971 and nearly collapsed in awe of Robert Plant's vocals.

This doesn't mean he has any less respect for Gillan, who he feels probably has better pure singing power. (whatever that's supposed to mean)

The example Tanaka uses is the 'unearthly shout' from the end of "Into The Fire".

Archived