Zeppelin Mysteries Hosted by Steve A. Jones

SteveAJones

• 2 weeks later...

What is the name of the host? I'm stumped. I wanted to say it was Masanori "Masa" Ito but then I realized Masa does not speak English so fluently. I'll bet he would know however! I actually think this was recorded in LA on June 17, 1985 after the show at The Forum. Robert alludes to having performed that night and mentions the people "at home in Japan". If he were in Japan he'd have likely said "here in Japan". Finally, I believe the program title is "Best USA" but I'm still working on it. Again though, highly unlikely a program recorded in Japan would be "(anything) USA". More likely it was a weekly program featuring Western Music artists recorded in LA for telecast in Japan.

1 hour ago, SteveAJones said:

What is the name of the host? I'm stumped. I wanted to say it was Masanori "Masa" Ito but then I realized Masa does not speak English so fluently. I'll bet he would know however! I actually think this was recorded in LA on June 17, 1985 after the show at The Forum. Robert alludes to having performed that night and mentions the people "at home in Japan". If he were in Japan he'd have likely said "here in Japan". Finally, I believe the program title is "Best USA" but I'm still working on it. Again though, highly unlikely a program recorded in Japan would be "(anything) USA". More likely it was a weekly program featuring Western Music artists recorded in LA for telecast in Japan.

At the beginning of the interview he mentions to Robert that it has been 12 years since he has seen him which would be 1973. Man, that’s a tough one. 

27 minutes ago, Plant77 said:

At the beginning of the interview he mentions to Robert that it has been 12 years since he has seen him which would be 1973. Man, that’s a tough one. 

The host's voice is golden and he must have been well established in the industry. Someone has to recall his name.

53 minutes ago, JohnOsbourne said:

Possibly he miscounted;  October '72 was the last time Zep was in Japan/Asia, no?

Yes, that was the last time Led Zeppelin performed in Japan. However I submit to you this seems to be an LA-based, possibly Japanese-American who is likely alluding to the May/June 1973 LA shows.

8 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

Yes, that was the last time Led Zeppelin performed in Japan. However I submit to you this seems to be an LA-based, possibly Japanese-American who is likely alluding to the May/June 1973 LA shows.

9 hours ago,  JohnOsbourne said: 

Possibly he miscounted;  October '72 was the last time Zep was in Japan/Asia, no?

Yes that is the last time they were in either of those countries. I was basing that off of the belief that this was an Asian American show as well. Also I was looking some stuff up this morning, they might elude to it on Steve Hoffman’s forum. There was a topic on Local music stations across the country. I’ll try and find it. But it basically talked about LA stations that played local L.A bands, except Robert Plants Pink and Black video. The only problem I have with it being a local show is it seems pretty well produced, and seems like they spent some money on the program. Certainly more than my local CMC in the Bay Area did. I wonder if Richard Cole would know who he is? 

I had heard once John Bonham bought a Duesenberg around 1970 in LA. There is a black and white photo at the Rainbow bar and Grille in Hollywood of John Bonham in a garage standing in front of a Duesenberg and Peter Grant is off to the side (1st time I ever saw this photo) any details on  the car and if John bought it and where it may be now ?

Also I thought it odd there were no photos of the band hanging out at the Rainbow at the Rainbow, the one of Robert and John with some female friends at a table come to mind.   

On 9/20/2021 at 9:58 AM, Plant77 said:

There was a topic on Local music stations across the country. I’ll try and find it. But it basically talked about LA stations that played local L.A bands, except Robert Plants Pink and Black video. The only problem I have with it being a local show is it seems pretty well produced, and seems like they spent some money on the program. Certainly more than my local CMC in the Bay Area did. I wonder if Richard Cole would know who he is? 

To me the Plant interview with the Japanese host seems to be something produced in LA to be telecast later in Japan, perhaps on a cable television channel. I doubt very much Richard would know, though he did live in Los Angeles for a number of years. Even so, it's not something I would be willing to bother him about.

On 9/25/2021 at 11:38 PM, lynxwizard said:

I had heard once John Bonham bought a Duesenberg around 1970 in LA. There is a black and white photo at the Rainbow bar and Grille in Hollywood of John Bonham in a garage standing in front of a Duesenberg and Peter Grant is off to the side (1st time I ever saw this photo) any details on  the car and if John bought it and where it may be now ?

Also I thought it odd there were no photos of the band hanging out at the Rainbow at the Rainbow, the one of Robert and John with some female friends at a table come to mind.   

Nothing comes to mind concerning Bonzo and a Duesenberg but it's plausible. 

The lack of photos of them hanging out at The Rainbow...it is what it is. I do have quite a few photos of Jimmy at The Rainbow in the '80s. 

1 hour ago, SteveAJones said:

To me the Plant interview with the Japanese host seems to be something produced in LA to be telecast later in Japan, perhaps on a cable television channel. I doubt very much Richard would know, though he did live in Los Angeles for a number of years. Even so, it's not something I would be willing to bother him about.

Nothing comes to mind concerning Bonzo and a Duesenberg but it's plausible. 

The lack of photos of them hanging out at The Rainbow...it is what it is. I do have quite a few photos of Jimmy at The Rainbow in the '80s. 

Thanks for the reply, the only reason I thought of that was the reference to host saying it had been 12 years since he had last met/talked with Robert. But I agree, pretty trivial to ask about a random Japanese host who he may or may not know? 

I’ll find that thread on Steve Hoffman’s forum to see if that helps. Although, I don’t think it is related. The production seems pretty good for the time. Like there was some money thrown at it. The Sub Titles also make me think that it was for another broadcast. I doubt someone was watching TV and needed the subtitles to understand it, and then put it out some 30 plus years later. 

Have a good night/day. 

On 9/19/2021 at 5:41 AM, SteveAJones said:

Steve, with the help of my friend Yasuhiro Shiga, we are able to provide additional information on this interview.

• Host is Katsuya Kobayashi (https://ja.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/小林克也)

• Program name is Best Hit USA

* Original airdate was Feb 1984 (https://plaza.rakuten.co.jp/yanpuch/diary/201401210000/)

Additional Notes:

-Kobayashi says  "it's been 12 years.”  This would align with the Japan Tour 1972 + 12 years = 1984.

-Sixes and Sevens from Shaken N Stirred can be heard in the interview, which leads me to believe this is a rebroadcast of the original interview.

-"Best Hit USA" was one of the earliest (probably the earliest) music program that (re-)broadcasted the Communication Breakdown promo (Thee Image Club version) in '82 (or '81).

10 minutes ago, MarkZep said:

Steve, with the help of my friend Yasuhiro Shiga, we are able to provide additional information on this interview.

* Original airdate was Feb 1984 (https://plaza.rakuten.co.jp/yanpuch/diary/201401210000/)

Additional Notes:

-Kobayashi says  "it's been 12 years.”  This would align with the Japan Tour 1972 + 12 years = 1984.

-Sixes and Sevens from Shaken N Stirred can be heard in the interview, which leads me to believe this is a rebroadcast of the original interview.

-"Best Hit USA" was one of the earliest (probably the earliest) music program that (re-)broadcasted the Communication Breakdown promo (Thee Image Club version) in '82 (or '81).

Phenomenal!  :thumbsup:

According to the link provided it seems the interviews were conducted while the artists were in Japan (Tokyo) and the program aired on Saturday nights. 

3 hours ago, MarkZep said:

Additional Notes:

That is incredible. Awesome job! 

It looks like it ran from 1981-1988, what an amazing find Mark Zep. Without sounding kind of ignorant, was this a show done in America? On IMDB it doesn’t say. It mentions the host Mr. Katsura. Again awesome job on the MarkZep. Really cool. I love seeing stuff like this resolved. 

Have a great night. 

• 3 weeks later...

I wonder about John Paul Jones's triple neck Steve. He got it in 1977 as a gift form Hugh Manson. The story is Manson saw on the 1977 tour, that Jones needed it, yet he also claims, that he made it in 1974. And he claims Jones needed all three necks for one song, which is not true. Maybe he made it for Page in the first place, but Page also didn't play mandolin until 1977. And it's also weird, that he could have made it so fast for Jones. You know, seeing that he needed  it in 1977 an then making it during the tour. Do you know more about it Steve? Thanks!

On 10/1/2021 at 7:18 PM, SteveAJones said:

Phenomenal!  :thumbsup:

According to the link provided it seems the interviews were conducted while the artists were in Japan (Tokyo) and the program aired on Saturday nights. 

Strange Plant would say "soccer" instead of football if he were anywhere outside the states. But I'm not familiar with what they call it in Japan.

5 hours ago, SamoKodela said:

I wonder about John Paul Jones's triple neck Steve. He got it in 1977 as a gift form Hugh Manson. The story is Manson saw on the 1977 tour, that Jones needed it, yet he also claims, that he made it in 1974. And he claims Jones needed all three necks for one song, which is not true. Maybe he made it for Page in the first place, but Page also didn't play mandolin until 1977. And it's also weird, that he could have made it so fast for Jones. You know, seeing that he needed  it in 1977 an then making it during the tour. Do you know more about it Steve? Thanks!

It's not uncommon for two people to recall a sequence of events differently. In this case, Andy Manson recalls building the triple-neck circa 1974-75, while JPJ has stated it was 1977. The historically accurate truth is probably somewhere in the middle. Andy must have attended a Led Zeppelin performance in early 1973 or an Earls Court gig in May 1975, prompting him to begin building it. JPJ's recollection is likely influenced by when it was first presented to him and he began using it. 

Andy's Manson's recollection: Andy Manson Rebuilds His Led Zeppelin John Paul Jones Triple Neck Guitar (looperman.com)    

John Paul Jones recollection: 

I met Andy in the ’70s, and he built the triple-neck guitar in ’77 and the ukulele I use onstage. I looked inside it and it says “John Paul Jones 1979.” So that’s sort of a vintage instrument now, I guess. Andy also made me a little collapsible guitar that fits under an airplane seat; it folds in the middle, and all the strings stay on. It’s very impressive. For the next album, Andy just made me a baritone ukulele. I was looking on some website for ukulele strings and it said they carried baritone ukulele strings. I wondered what that was. I did a web search and I found a store selling baritone ukuleles, and I bought one.

It was the first instrument I ever bought on the internet – a Chinese baritone ukulele, which was terrible. It was just barely in tune up to the fourth fret, but was only about $75 and at least I could try it out to get a better idea of the instrument’s sound and range.

So I asked Andy to build a real one. He did some research and he managed to find a piece of koa, which is the traditional Hawaiian wood that is used for these instruments and made me this beautiful baritone ukulele. It’s kind of like an acoustic guitar except that the body is smaller, so it speaks very fast and it’s only got four strings.

I met Hugh Manson in the early ’80s and I have a couple of basses that he made at that time. I’d had him start making me the multi-string basses around the time of the Diamanda Galas project (The Sporting Life), when I wanted to use eight-string bass again. I’d had an eight-string that I’d used in the ’70s on Zeppelin’s Presence album, but it was a bit worse for wear. But I wanted to use that sound again for the project with Diamanda, so I had Hugh build me an eight-string bass. Then he built me a 12-string bass, then I wanted a 10-string bass, then it was a 10-string bass strung differently.

The next instrument he built was a lap steel because I wanted to use one with Diamanda. So he built me a beautiful bass lap steel, which has extra bass strings and goes to a low E.

The 10-string is maple, mainly. The old 12-string is Australian blackwood. That’s the big 12-string. I don’t play it onstage because it’s really heavy, but I did use it on record because it sounds wonderful.

-- John Paul Jones

It should be of note that Jones was using a standard 12 string acoustic guitar for Ten Years Gone/The Battle of Evermore and a mandolin for Going to California for all of the first leg of the 1977 tour. I suppose it's possible Manson started building the guitar leading up to 1977, but wasn't actually finished until by the time Zeppelin had to fly out to Birmingham from London? 

4 hours ago, ledzepfilm said:

It should be of note that Jones was using a standard 12 string acoustic guitar for Ten Years Gone/The Battle of Evermore and a mandolin for Going to California for all of the first leg of the 1977 tour. I suppose it's possible Manson started building the guitar leading up to 1977, but wasn't actually finished until by the time Zeppelin had to fly out to Birmingham from London? 

I knew that. Now when he started building it, we will probably never know. Maybe he just wanted to build a cool guitar for Jones and it might be he knew the 1977 setlist in advance and he indeed started building it just before 1977.