Houston 5/21/77

snapper

Just listened to this show and it sounds really good, surprisingly good. I'm sure this is nothing new but I did some research on the concert at Underground Uprising and here's a quote:

"Just when you think that Empress Valley have nothing new to offer, after a spate of bland and indifferent releases of old shows, they come up with this! A completely new concert from the 1977 Tour. Houston has not been available even for an audience recording, so an excellent soundboard out of the blue is not only a surprise but a treat. Some years ago the perspicacious Hugh Jones from Proximity published (in issue number 32) the 10 "holy grails of Zeppelin collecting". At number 9 was the Houston 1977 video. From the evenly balanced sound of this release from Empress Valley, I would venture a reasonably educated guess that the source for The Dragon Snake is the audio soundtrack from this video. Whoever has the video has maximised their profits by initially selling the soundtrack to Empress Valley, and no doubt in a few months time their will be a 2 DVD release of the video, which will have been sold for a similar astronomical price to another enterprising label. This is the nature of the beast in the cold commercial World we live in. It is very rare indeed that a new show appears for nothing."

If this is a soundboard why is there audience noise in there?

I really like how relaxed they were playing at this show, they really took their time and didn't rush the songs, listen to Trampled Under Foot for example.

Page wasn't soloing like he was in L.A. (I'm being nice) but I don't think I've heard Plant sing better in 77' than he did at this show, he was really impressive (listen to SIBLY),

as was Bonham.... just amazing.

If a video of this concert does exist, it would make me very, very happy....to say the least.

Just listened to this show and it sounds really good, surprisingly good. I'm sure this is nothing new but I did some research on the concert at Underground Uprising and here's a quote:

"Just when you think that Empress Valley have nothing new to offer, after a spate of bland and indifferent releases of old shows, they come up with this! A completely new concert from the 1977 Tour. Houston has not been available even for an audience recording, so an excellent soundboard out of the blue is not only a surprise but a treat. Some years ago the perspicacious Hugh Jones from Proximity published (in issue number 32) the 10 "holy grails of Zeppelin collecting". At number 9 was the Houston 1977 video. From the evenly balanced sound of this release from Empress Valley, I would venture a reasonably educated guess that the source for The Dragon Snake is the audio soundtrack from this video. Whoever has the video has maximised their profits by initially selling the soundtrack to Empress Valley, and no doubt in a few months time their will be a 2 DVD release of the video, which will have been sold for a similar astronomical price to another enterprising label. This is the nature of the beast in the cold commercial World we live in. It is very rare indeed that a new show appears for nothing."

I really like how relaxed they were playing at this show, they really took their time and didn't rush the songs, listen to Trampled Under Foot for example.

Page wasn't soloing like he was in L.A. (I'm being nice) but I don't think I've heard Plant sing better in 77' than he did at this show, he was really impressive (listen to SIBLY),

If a video of this concert does exist, it would make me very, very happy....to say the least.

I personally am not overally fond of this show. In My Time Of Dying is exceptional, as is Achillies Last Stand and the acoustic set. The sound is still so flat to me, as compared to Destroyer. Just my opinion.

I personally am not overally fond of this show. In My Time Of Dying is exceptional, as is Achillies Last Stand and the acoustic set. The sound is still so flat to me, as compared to Destroyer. Just my opinion.

True, but the flat sound could be improved with a little bit of work.

Yes, IMTOD & ALS are exceptional.

Fortunately I got to see this concert. I sat in the third row from the back in Nosebleed City at the Summit. Even as far away as I was every note was crystal clear and startlingly loud. Starting in '69 I got to see them in concert and each year the band roared into town they kept getting better, and I saw two nights in a row in 1973 and thought they could never touch those magnificent shows. But they did.

Don't know what bootleg I have of this but it's a throroughly enjoyable listen. Nothing compares to actually being there but what can I say. Nobody's Fault But Mine and In My Time of Dying were the best songs performed I thought, but Kashmir and Achilles Last Stand were also great.

I made the trip down from Big D to see Zeppelin in Houston at the Summit on April 22, 1977.

Every time I see a wide angle shot of Lakewood Church from the Compac Center.... I smile and muse .... I expereinced Led Zeppelin in that place ! !

The highlight of the show for me was "Ten Years Gone" for me..... But that may something to do with a fan sharing his pipe with me during the sit down set...

The sound was loud and clear. The band performed well. It was joy to experience it live.

The band also perfomed with excellence the following evening in Ft. Worth.

These were make-up shows, and the band stepped up to the plate to make them special.

As for the latest boot being from a video source..... Sorry to say.....

THERE WAS NO VIDEO MADE.

There was NO physical evidence at the concert of ANYTHING being video-taped.

None at all.

I'll be the first to eat my words, if a Houston video showed up... But that's not going to happen.

It was great show to experience. The crowd was fantastic. Totally into the show from start to finsih!

Houston Loves it's Zeppelin ! !

I made the trip down from Big D to see Zeppelin in Houston at the Summit on April 22, 1977.

Every time I see a wide angle shot of Lakewood Church from the Compac Center.... I smile and muse .... I expereinced Led Zeppelin in that place ! !

The highlight of the show for me was "Ten Years Gone" for me..... But that may something to do with a fan sharing his pipe with me during the sit down set...

The sound was loud and clear. The band performed well. It was joy to experience it live.

These were make-up shows, and the band stepped up to the plate to make them special.

THERE WAS NO VIDEO MADE.

None at all.

I'll be the first to eat my words, if a Houston video showed up... But that's not going to happen.

It was great show to experience. The crowd was fantastic. Totally into the show from start to finsih!

Haha I've seen you say the part about the video so many times. I just wish you were wrong, but alas you were there sooo....

I think the best shot we have at another pro shot '77 show coming out is either 30/5 (Landover) or the show from the Silverdome. Both quite good shows. Especially Landover, right up there with the LA run in June imo.

Note the cameraman onstage in Pontiac

LZpontiacCAM.jpg

Good eye, man. Where did you find this pic and are there anymore with a cameraman onstage?

Question: is it confirmed that there was a big screen video feed for audience veiwing at this show?

And if someone is hording it, wouldn't Zeppelin legally own the rights to it.

How would something like this get out of Pages hands, was it stolen?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm just dying for pro-shoot from 77' other than Seattle.

THERE WAS NO VIDEO MADE.

None at all.

Well, you're wrong, there were big screens at the summit, cameramen and the concert was May 21st, if the date you where was actually 22nd, you where at Forth Worth.

Well, you're wrong, there were big screens at the summit, cameramen and the concert was May 21st, if the date you where was actually 22nd, you where at Forth Worth.

I can confirm The Rover is correct, Sibh, about the absence of a video feed big screen on the Houston date at the Summit. Since I sat a quarter of a mile from the band in the back of that barn I distinctly recall the only 'minus' of the show for me was the members of Zeppelin being the size of the fingernail of my pinkie. Had there been a big screen I would've remembered it. I recall how grateful I was someone lent me a pair of binoculars for a couple of songs.

The Rover stated he saw BOTH the Houston and Ft. Worth shows; what a lucky guy.

Sorry about getting the date wrong....Houston May 21 and Ft. Worth May 22,,,,

Be happy to look at and examine any proof you have of the camermen at the Summit on May 21, 1977.

I can confirm The Rover is correct, Sibh, about the absence of a video feed big screen on the Houston date at the Summit. Since I sat a quarter of a mile from the band in the back of that barn I distinctly recall the only 'minus' of the show for me was the members of Zeppelin being the size of the fingernail of my pinkie. Had there been a big screen I would've remembered it. I recall how grateful I was someone lent me a pair of binoculars for a couple of songs.

The Rover stated he saw BOTH the Houston and Ft. Worth shows; what a lucky guy.

I specifically was looking for ---any-- images to be broadcast on big screen. I had heard from an acquaintance from Houston, that, for the ZZ Top show at the Summit, that the video camera guy was on the floor shooting fans, and that some girls bared there breasts, and that got on the big screen....

So yeah.... I was looking for images on a big screen....but sadly there was none..... :(

That 'buckeye' site is cool, and it brings up another question - he talks about Bonzo's drum riser moving forward onstage for Moby Dick. Now, I saw Zep in '77 (6-23-77 LA) and I DO NOT remember this at all. And I stayed for Moby Dick, I'm a drummer, so I didn't wander off. Did they ALWAYS do this? Is my memory that bad? Was I THAT stoned, haha! Help! Sorry to derail the thread, but it was mentioned, so...

BTW, I got that photo from the "Portraits" book by Neal Preston.

That 'buckeye' site is cool, and it brings up another question - he talks about Bonzo's drum riser moving forward onstage for Moby Dick. Now, I saw Zep in '77 (6-23-77 LA) and I DO NOT remember this at all. And I stayed for Moby Dick, I'm a drummer, so I didn't wander off. Did they ALWAYS do this? Is my memory that bad? Was I THAT stoned, haha! Help! Sorry to derail the thread, but it was mentioned, so...

Here's the video from 6-23-77, there is a brief clip of Bonham playing his drum solo. But I do believe you can make out his riser moving forward. Notice that all of the lights are down, except for those on the drums. So, perhaps it made it a little harder to notice?

http://ledzeppelin.com/video/l-6-23-77-w-keith-moon

Fortunately I got to see this concert. I sat in the third row from the back in Nosebleed City at the Summit. Even as far away as I was every note was crystal clear and startlingly loud. Starting in '69 I got to see them in concert and each year the band roared into town they kept getting better, and I saw two nights in a row in 1973 and thought they could never touch those magnificent shows. But they did.

Don't know what bootleg I have of this but it's a throroughly enjoyable listen. Nothing compares to actually being there but what can I say. Nobody's Fault But Mine and In My Time of Dying were the best songs performed I thought, but Kashmir and Achilles Last Stand were also great.

Well, I always thought of the Cameramen theory, otherwise, it might have been for the Luxury Boxes,

And it was effectively Pro-Shot.

I'm not sure how to explain why there is so much audience noise on some soundboards (common logic would mean that there where microphones turned to the crowd). But judging by this recording in particular, it could've even been crowd noise leaking thru Plant's mic.

Well, I always thought of the Cameramen theory, otherwise, it might have been for the Luxury Boxes,

And it was effectively Pro-Shot.

Are you speaking of Luxury Boxes at the Summit Sibh23 ? ? ?

As far as I know, the Summit, opening in 1975, NEVER had --any-- "Luxury" Boxes.... ever.

Nick, the 5-31-73 and 7-17-73 soundboards have lots of audience noise, yet on the 5-18-73 soundboard the crowd noise is distant. The '75 and '77 tour bootlegs seem to have a lack of audience leakage too, guess the soundmen got consistently better at mike placement perhaps because the band was giving more consideration for a future live album and wanted clean tapes to work with. Only a theory.

I was at the St Paul show on 4/13/77 and the drum riser did move foward during Moby Dick. So I think its safe to say this took place at all shows on this tour.

I was at the St Paul show on 4/13/77 and the drum riser did move foward during Moby Dick. So I think its safe to say this took place at all shows on this tour.

This show was considered to be the best of the tour by the band,

and no bootlegs exists of it, as of yet.

What are your memories of this concert, feel free to go into details.

Different restrictions apply at various venues. At Madison Square Garden in 1973 the band was allowed to use pyrotechnics like flashpots and fire on Bonzo's gong stand, but the fire codes in certain cities prevented them from using them in every show. Stage sizes differ too and that may be the reason in some shows Bonzo's drum riser moved to centerstage in 1977, and others it did not.

Archived