The Firm Thread

Some more Firm merchandise from the 85 & 86 US tours:

I should've known you would be the one having most, if not all of the tour merchandise I'm still looking for. smile.gif

Edit: I've got a baseball hat ('85) and a bandana ('86) too but one item I don't have/haven't seen posted is a scarf sold on '84 European tour. It has The Firm logo centered btw all four bandmember's names.

Edited by SteveAJones

I should've known you would be the one having most, if not all of the tour merchandise I'm still looking for. smile.gif

Edit: I've got a baseball hat ('85) and a bandana ('86) too but one item I don't have/haven't seen posted is a scarf sold on '84 European tour. It has The Firm logo centered btw all four bandmember's names.

Yeah the souvenir stand sure got a lot of money from me! :D

That scarf sounds really nice, maybe one of the European forum members has one.

Steve, can you post the article (or pm me if you want me to translate it first)?

Unfortunately, that magazine has since been placed in long term storage and it will be several months before I'll

have an opportunity to retrieve it. I can tell you the article is titled "Jimmy Page, Une Historie Ferme" and written by Ronald McGregor.

scan0001-2.jpg

FWIW, the tour ended 5/29/86 in Seattle. I show there was a dispute with the producer over content and cover art for the 'Five From The Firm' video in June '86 which resulted in a three-month delay. It was finally released in

Sept '86...Jimmy issued a press release in Nov '86 announcing he was leaving The Firm to begin a solo album.

• 3 weeks later...

I too loved the firm. Ive always liked Paul Rodgers and thought the cd was great. i also liked Coverdale/Page i havent listened to either one in awhile so i guess ill dig them out and listen again. Hello from Cottage Grove Oregon to Bend Oregon! have you also met Mr Page? it looks like you have an autograph on your page? i cant figure out how to put a pic of mine on my page. or post some pictures of some records i have. ill figure it out soon

Ii cant figure out how to put a pic of mine on my page or post some pictures of some records i have. ill figure it out soon

Here's what I did. Create a free account at www.photobucket.com. Once you have an account, upload your photo to your photobucket account. Once the photo is uploaded, put the cursor over the uploaded photo

on your photobucket page and you will see this drop down:

Email & IM

Direct Link

HTML Code

IMG Code

Put the cursor in the IMG Code box, right mouse click and select "copy". Now go to your LZ.com post, right mouse click and select "paste". You will see the IMG code is in now your post. When you select send

message this site will display that IMG code on this board as the photo.

It may sound difficult but give it a try by following these steps and you should see it is very easy.

• 4 weeks later...

I saw The Firm in Worcester,Mass. in 1985 I believe it was..To this day it is one of the best shows I ever saw..It was truly amazing..

I got a shirt that night..unfortunatly it was destroyed in a fire we had but I was only one of a few that went to that show from my area so I was always asked about the show when I wore the shirt...

• 4 weeks later...

The Firm

Purdue University - Elliott Hall of Music

West Lafayette, Indiana

April 29, 1986

ElliottHallofMusic.jpg

When sluggish ticket sales for The Firm risked bankrupting the Student Concert Committee a junior took matters into his own hands and admonished students in a letter published in the universities' paper over the weekend.

I understand the tactic worked and The Firm played to a nearly sold-out venue.

19860426PurdueExponentThe.jpg

The Purdue Exponent, Sat, April 26th 1986

19860501PurdueExponentThePg1of2.jpg

19860501PurdueExponentThePg2of2.jpg

The Purdue Exponent, Thu, May 1st 1986

Courtesy of Steve A. Jones Archive with thanks to PhxHorn

Edited by SteveAJones

IMHO the Firm should have made it bigger!! I thought Jimmy and Paul together were fantastic, also Willie & The Poor Boys...never understood how a lot of crap bands made it and they didn't get any bigger at that time. I would like to see them together again.

I Love the Firm and listen to it quite a lot.

I still listen to Free and Bad Company and of course anything with Jimmy.

Never understood how a lot of crap bands made it and they didn't get any bigger at that time

In 1985, 80's music style firmly established itself with bands like Duran Duran, a-ha, and Wham while solo artists like Madonna and Michael Jackson became the trademark sound of the decade. Rightly or wrongly, The Firm were found guilty of playing 70s-style album oriented rock. Generally speaking, the albums and concerts received lukewarm reviews. IMHO, their style, sound and stage design was at least five years behind the times and the tours were simply not long enough. I think the videos Aubrey Powell produced for them were interesting and very heartfelt but fell short of contemporaries.This ensured they would not have hit singles in what had quickly become an MTV-dominated era.

Just my two cents, keep the change.

Edited by SteveAJones

I mentioned this to Steve in a PM, but that letter to the editor was what really made me aware of Page. I was a freshman at Purdue at the time and fairly clueless about rock and roll, and while after reading it I still wasn't smart enough to buy a ticket to see the Firm (I've been kicking myself ever since), I started listening to Zeppelin shortly after that. A couple of years after the show, I looked up the back issues of the newspaper on microfilm and made copies for sentimental reasons. They've been sitting in a file cabinet for over 20 years until last week.