Tempe, Arizona 20-7-77

tom kid

Wow, isn't this show terrible. Listening to Achilles Last Stand at the moment. Page is in one word; AWFUL. He is behind the rest of the band during the song and it just sounds downright terrible. This is definitely the worst Zeppelin show I've heard.

Wow, isn't this show terrible. Listening to Achilles Last Stand at the moment. Page is in one word; AWFUL. He is behind the rest of the band during the song and it just sounds downright terrible. This is definitely the worst Zeppelin show I've heard.

How's it going "tom kid?" I hope all is well witn you. I've heard this show as well and it does not sound too great. The Seattle 17 July 1977 and the Oakland 23 July 1977 does not sound any better either. However, I have heard, seen and witnessed ZEPPELIN at their very best in person at The Forum on 23 June 1977 so I know what ZEPPELIN is truly capable of doing live. I've said this before but the mighty LED ZEPPELIN'S worse night of performing sounds better than any other band's greatest night of performing. Thanks for your true honesty, I like that. ROCK ON!

How's it going "tom kid?" I hope all is well witn you. I've heard this show as well and it does not sound too great. The Seattle 17 July 1977 and the Oakland 23 July 1977 does not sound any better either. However, I have heard, seen and witnessed ZEPPELIN at their very best in person at The Forum on 23 June 1977 so I know what ZEPPELIN is truly capable of doing live. I've said this before but the mighty LED ZEPPELIN'S worse night of performing sounds better than any other band's greatest night of performing. Thanks for your true honesty, I like that. ROCK ON!

I don't know man, Seattle is up there but at least Page is almost in time during Achilles (well, he isn't as near as badly out of time as he is in Tempe). I have heard the Oakland show and it was alright, just typical '77 fare really (although strangely enough the '77 tour is my favourite Zeppelin tour.) But you were at that show so you would be a better judge than myself.

As for yourself being at the famous June 23rd show I am very envious. I am unfortunately only 19 years old and to boot I live in New Zealand. So it would have been near impossible for me to go to the O2 if I had had an opportunity to buy tickets. Hell, Zeppelin only came here once and that was in 1972, my Dad was only 12 at the time so sadly he did not attend, he was not yet into Zeppelin.

Have a good one! B)

I don't know man, Seattle is up there but at least Page is almost in time during Achilles (well, he isn't as near as badly out of time as he is in Tempe). I have heard the Oakland show and it was alright, just typical '77 fare really (although strangely enough the '77 tour is my favourite Zeppelin tour.) But you were at that show so you would be a better judge than myself.

As for yourself being at the famous June 23rd show I am very envious. I am unfortunately only 19 years old and to boot I live in New Zealand. So it would have been near impossible for me to go to the O2 if I had had an opportunity to buy tickets. Hell, Zeppelin only came here once and that was in 1972, my Dad was only 12 at the time so sadly he did not attend, he was not yet into Zeppelin.

Have a good one! B)

How's it going "tom kid?" Damn, I sure wish that I was a teenager again in the 1970's. But then again, I act like a teenager now at 48 when I want to. Ha Ha! It makes me feel great talking to a fellow ZEPPELIN fanatic that is a young teenage man such as yourself. The young men and woman of today are the ones that are going to help keep the ZEPPELIN legend and legacy alive. Thats funny that we're talking about the July shows. Do you have the Seattle show on DVD? In my opinion, the Seattle 17 July 1977 show was not the greatest as compared to The Forum 23 June 1977 show that I witnessed in person. Thinking about it now, in my opinion, it would seem that ZEPPELIN'S performances were going down hill after the Seattle 17 July 1977, then on to Tempe 20 July 1977 and finally to Oakland 23 & 24 July 1977. Isn't that weird? ROCK ON!

How's it going "tom kid?" Damn, I sure wish that I was a teenager again in the 1970's. But then again, I act like a teenager now at 48 when I want to. Ha Ha! It makes me feel great talking to a fellow ZEPPELIN fanatic that is a young teenage man such as yourself. The young men and woman of today are the ones that are going to help keep the ZEPPELIN legend and legacy alive. Thats funny that we're talking about the July shows. Do you have the Seattle show on DVD? In my opinion, the Seattle 17 July 1977 show was not the greatest as compared to The Forum 23 June 1977 show that I witnessed in person. Thinking about it now, in my opinion, it would seem that ZEPPELIN'S performances were going down hill after the Seattle 17 July 1977, then on to Tempe 20 July 1977 and finally to Oakland 23 & 24 July 1977. Isn't that weird? ROCK ON!

Yes I do indeed have the Seattle show on DVD. It is really one of the worst concerts ever performed by Zeppelin, although being there still would have been awesome! My opinion of this show is that it would be thrown in with shows like 26/5 and 28/5 if Robert didn't have what sounds like a nasty cold. Granted Jimmy is pretty poor at this show but No Quarter rocks! As does the acoustic set. Without a doubt the 23rd of June was one of, if not the best show of '77.

I can't say I agree on Oakland being worse than Tempe, Tempe really is an abomination (I know I'm being harsh but where would be without opinions?).

I wish I was a teenager in the 70's but alas I wasn't and never will be so I'm just thankful I still have the music and the huge amount of bootleg recordings.

Yes I do indeed have the Seattle show on DVD. It is really one of the worst concerts ever performed by Zeppelin, although being there still would have been awesome! My opinion of this show is that it would be thrown in with shows like 26/5 and 28/5 if Robert didn't have what sounds like a nasty cold. Granted Jimmy is pretty poor at this show but No Quarter rocks! As does the acoustic set. Without a doubt the 23rd of June was one of, if not the best show of '77.

I can't say I agree on Oakland being worse than Tempe, Tempe really is an abomination (I know I'm being harsh but where would be without opinions?).

I wish I was a teenager in the 70's but alas I wasn't and never will be so I'm just thankful I still have the music and the huge amount of bootleg recordings.

How's it going "tom kid?" I hope all is still well with you. I'm still awake! I pulled another all nighter. I've been awake since Friday but I'm going to try to get some sleep. I've had problems with Insomnia for quite some time now, however, the partying doesn't help me out one bit. Ha Ha! As for Tempe, I don't think that you are being harsh at all. Tempe has to rank as one of the band's all-time worse performances ever. I'm glad that you feel that Oakland was better than Tempe but seeing that I was there and all, in my opinion, Oakland sounds worse. Oakland's performance sounded off key, at least that's my opinion. Jimmy sat down for a lot of the songs performed that day (23 July 1977) since he was out of it. I understand that the 24 July 1977 performance was no better than the 23 July 1977 show since a friend of mine who attended the 24 July 1977 show let me know the details. Like I said, and to end my comment on a good note, LED ZEPPELIN'S worse performance was better than many band's greatest performances. Its been great talking to you but its time for me to hit the mattress. ROCK ON "tom kid!"

Edited by ZeppFanForever

My Tempe bootleg doesn't have any of the songs before the acoustic set; does anybody know how the beginning of the concert sounded?

I'm pretty sure this is the only tape of the show that exists. And to be honest, I don't care at all about that.

I actually dusted off Tempe a little while back; had a Smoke and listened to the thing for the first time in like four years. And, actually, it's not quite as bad as people make it out to be, IMO. I've heard worse '80 shows, let's say that. I think that Oakland show on the 23rd and the majority of Seattle are worse than Tempe, over all. I thought, listening to the recording, that Plant actually came of sounding worse than Page- Robert's attempts at getting through "Battle Of Evermore" in particular whilst sounding not unlike the "Squeaky Voiced Teenager" on "The Simpsons" are hard to listen to. Notice how Page starts in on "Dancing Days" during "Bron Yr Aur Stomp" before quickly changing his mind. Jimmy does sound completely lost during the solo on "Trampled Under Foot"...I think his decision to forgo "White Summer" (he only plays about a minute of "Black Mountain Side" before leading in to "Kashmir" was a wise move. Of course, Tom Kid, you are aware that Jimmy is so behind the rest of the band during "Achilles" was because he got knocked on his ass by the force of the explosive effects at the start of the song.

Likely this review of the Tempe show has been posted elsewhere in the forum (it's also in "The Concert Files"), but it's probably worth mentioning here:

"This concert was originally scheduled for Sunday March 6, 1977 but Robert Plant's laryngitis postponed this show until Wednesday July 20th.

The show was supposed to begin at 8pm but didn't start until just before 9:00.

The show opened with a strong performance of "Ths Song Remains the Same". Jimmy Page was dressed in his black dragon pants, with a plain black tee-shirt, and white scarf. The first part of the set seemed decent, with the exception of Page who stood still near Bonzo's drum riser for most of the night. During the guitar solo in "Over the Hills and Far Away" Page miscalculated his need to switch his guitar floor effect, with Robert Plant being closer to it and actually activating it for him. Things took a strange turn after a very low key acoustic set. During "Trampled Underfoot" Page turned in a very uninspired guitar solo. Then...He chose not to perform "White Summer". He played a few bars of "Black Mountain Side" before going into "Kashmir"......but without the rest of the band, slowly Bonzo joined in, then John Paul Jones. Next ...there was no "Moby Dick!!" Bonzo seemed to be "missing in action" at the close of Page's guitar solo so there was an improvisational opening to "Achilles Last Stand". And after the opening bars of "Achilles" right when the song "kicks" in, there was an extremely LOUD explosion with a blinding white light from the flashpots located at the front of the stage, which threw Jimmy back a couple feet, then you could see him going over to the side of the stage raising a closed fist presumably at a roadie. After the song Robert announced that the explosion was not meant to happen and that the person responsable would soon be "casterated". The band just never seemed to ever get on track and turned in a very uneven performance. Jimmy was content with standing perfectly still through most of the show. During "Stairway To Heaven'' Jimmy actually dropped to one knee during the guitar solo. Bonzo seemed in a hurry to end the show and was off his drum stool and gone before Robert finished the final lyric. So you didn't have the customary cymbal flurry at the end of the song. Then.... that WAS IT!!!

NO ENCORE! I heard people in the crowd after the show making comments, one was "Led Zeppelin didn't eat their Wheaties". But you know even though the performance was very lacklustre, I was never the less just happy that I got to see them live, and being only 75 feet from the stage,well very close. Tempe Arizona, sadly would be the second to last U.S. city the band would ever play in. It would have been nice to have had a supercharged show, but that was not the way it was. I hope you enjoyed my concert memory.

Thanks, Ed Ortiz"

It is also said that Zeppelin were forced to cut down the show due to time restrictions...or maybe Bonzo was so pissed off by the decidedly poor performance that he basically walked off in a huff! It might have been interesting to have been a 'fly on the wall' back at the hotel after the Tempe show.

True, the recording of the Tempe show isn't the best, but most copies also seem to play slow...I had to recorrect the speed and pitch when I got the thing just so I could listen to it. Certainly not a performance you want to bust out on a regular basis, that's for sure...but I would be hard pressed to call it Zeppelin's worst concert hands down. For '77 at least certainly some of the first leg gigs -Oklahoma and Louisville immediately come to mind- would give Tempe a run for its money as far as poor performance goes.

I actually dusted off Tempe a little while back; had a Smoke and listened to the thing for the first time in like four years. And, actually, it's not quite as bad as people make it out to be, IMO. I've heard worse '80 shows, let's say that. I think that Oakland show on the 23rd and the majority of Seattle are worse than Tempe, over all. I thought, listening to the recording, that Plant actually came of sounding worse than Page- Robert's attempts at getting through "Battle Of Evermore" in particular whilst sounding not unlike the "Squeaky Voiced Teenager" on "The Simpsons" are hard to listen to. Notice how Page starts in on "Dancing Days" during "Bron Yr Aur Stomp" before quickly changing his mind. Jimmy does sound completely lost during the solo on "Trampled Under Foot"...I think his decision to forgo "White Summer" (he only plays about a minute of "Black Mountain Side" before leading in to "Kashmir" was a wise move. Of course, Tom Kid, you are aware that Jimmy is so behind the rest of the band during "Achilles" was because he got knocked on his ass by the force of the explosive effects at the start of the song.

Likely this review of the Tempe show has been posted elsewhere in the forum (it's also in "The Concert Files"), but it's probably worth mentioning here:

"This concert was originally scheduled for Sunday March 6, 1977 but Robert Plant's laryngitis postponed this show until Wednesday July 20th.

The show was supposed to begin at 8pm but didn't start until just before 9:00.

The show opened with a strong performance of "Ths Song Remains the Same". Jimmy Page was dressed in his black dragon pants, with a plain black tee-shirt, and white scarf. The first part of the set seemed decent, with the exception of Page who stood still near Bonzo's drum riser for most of the night. During the guitar solo in "Over the Hills and Far Away" Page miscalculated his need to switch his guitar floor effect, with Robert Plant being closer to it and actually activating it for him. Things took a strange turn after a very low key acoustic set. During "Trampled Underfoot" Page turned in a very uninspired guitar solo. Then...He chose not to perform "White Summer". He played a few bars of "Black Mountain Side" before going into "Kashmir"......but without the rest of the band, slowly Bonzo joined in, then John Paul Jones. Next ...there was no "Moby Dick!!" Bonzo seemed to be "missing in action" at the close of Page's guitar solo so there was an improvisational opening to "Achilles Last Stand". And after the opening bars of "Achilles" right when the song "kicks" in, there was an extremely LOUD explosion with a blinding white light from the flashpots located at the front of the stage, which threw Jimmy back a couple feet, then you could see him going over to the side of the stage raising a closed fist presumably at a roadie. After the song Robert announced that the explosion was not meant to happen and that the person responsable would soon be "casterated". The band just never seemed to ever get on track and turned in a very uneven performance. Jimmy was content with standing perfectly still through most of the show. During "Stairway To Heaven'' Jimmy actually dropped to one knee during the guitar solo. Bonzo seemed in a hurry to end the show and was off his drum stool and gone before Robert finished the final lyric. So you didn't have the customary cymbal flurry at the end of the song. Then.... that WAS IT!!!

NO ENCORE! I heard people in the crowd after the show making comments, one was "Led Zeppelin didn't eat their Wheaties". But you know even though the performance was very lacklustre, I was never the less just happy that I got to see them live, and being only 75 feet from the stage,well very close. Tempe Arizona, sadly would be the second to last U.S. city the band would ever play in. It would have been nice to have had a supercharged show, but that was not the way it was. I hope you enjoyed my concert memory.

Thanks, Ed Ortiz"

It is also said that Zeppelin were forced to cut down the show due to time restrictions...or maybe Bonzo was so pissed off by the decidedly poor performance that he basically walked off in a huff! It might have been interesting to have been a 'fly on the wall' back at the hotel after the Tempe show.

True, the recording of the Tempe show isn't the best, but most copies also seem to play slow...I had to recorrect the speed and pitch when I got the thing just so I could listen to it. Certainly not a performance you want to bust out on a regular basis, that's for sure...but I would be hard pressed to call it Zeppelin's worst concert hands down. For '77 at least certainly some of the first leg gigs -Oklahoma and Louisville immediately come to mind- would give Tempe a run for its money as far as poor performance goes.

How's it going "Nutrocker?" I hope all is well with you. I would like to thank and commend both you and "tom kid" for being true to yourselves by being honest and telling it the way it is. I like that! I know that we would all like to think that LED ZEPPELIN was perfect every night they played but they weren't. LED ZEPPELIN was not perfect! But I will say this as a fact, LED ZEPPELIN IS STILL the greatest live band that ever lived! In my opinion, LED ZEPPELIN'S worse performances are better than any band's greatest performances. Those Forum shows in 1977, God damn those guys can kick ass! I feel so very blessed that I was one of the privileged in person on 23 June 1977 despite the drama that was going on with me that day. It was definitely the drugs and the wear and tear from being on their third leg of the 1977 Tour that was beginning to tell the story in the end. Those July shows in 77, as much as it pains me to say this, were suffering and something had to give. Sadly, karac Plant's death would be one of the worse tragedies in the band's history (Other than Bonzo's) and his death would be the fatality that would give in the end. The way the 1977 tour ended was just plain tragic. It was not fair for the 1977 Tour to end the way it did. In all due respects, I'm just happy and glad that the mighty LED ZEPPELIN came back, even if it is for one last time, and set the record straight once and for all on 10 December 2007. Despite some of the mistakes from being rusty from the many years of inactivity of not performing together as LED ZEPPELIN, the band performed great! Man, I would have given anything to have been at the 02 Arena in London that night. I have a bootleg of the show on DVD but nothing compares to the real thing of being there and bonding with the band as a member of the audience. Have a great day and ROCK ON!

Very true, ZeppFan...one thing I have certainly been able to glean from all of the '77 discussion on this forum is that it was clearly a tour where you had to BE THERE, sitting in the audience, gobsmacked by the music and the effects (straight, sober or otherwise) to fully appreciate the show. No audience tape (even a Millard) can do 1977 total justice. For yourself, to have actually witnessed the legendary "Badgeholders" concert firsthand, you are very lucky. Shit, I was only nine years old at the time- didn't see a concert till my aunt and uncle took me to see the Stones in Seattle in '81. That said, had I have been in the audience at Zeppelin's '77 Seattle show, I definitely would have dug it, shaky performance or no. Same goes for Tempe...I mean, the audience isn't exactly booing on the tape, are they? Fuck no! I'm sure they loved it, and had a great time. That's what it's all about in the end, innit?

Very true, ZeppFan...one thing I have certainly been able to glean from all of the '77 discussion on this forum is that it was clearly a tour where you had to BE THERE, sitting in the audience, gobsmacked by the music and the effects (straight, sober or otherwise) to fully appreciate the show. No audience tape (even a Millard) can do 1977 total justice. For yourself, to have actually witnessed the legendary "Badgeholders" concert firsthand, you are very lucky. Shit, I was only nine years old at the time- didn't see a concert till my aunt and uncle took me to see the Stones in Seattle in '81. That said, had I have been in the audience at Zeppelin's '77 Seattle show, I definitely would have dug it, shaky performance or no. Same goes for Tempe...I mean, the audience isn't exactly booing on the tape, are they? Fuck no! I'm sure they loved it, and had a great time. That's what it's all about in the end, innit?

How's it going "Nutrocker?" I hope all is still well with you. Ha Ha! I have THE ROLLING STONES SEATTLE 1981 show on DVD. In my opinion, THE STONES' SEATTLE 1981 show was better than the movie "Lets Spend The Night Together" also from the 1981 Tour. I saw THE STONES at Candlestick Park in San Francisco in 1981. Seeing the mighty LED ZEPPELIN'S SEATTLE 17 July 1977 show on DVD, ZEPPELIN did have some great moments such as "Kashmir," and "No Quarter" to name a few. Bonzo must have been having withdrawls for wearing a jacket during "Kashmir." However, despite that, Bonzo still surprisingly played well with very good timing for that song. Bonzo was the only one in the whole Kingdome that was wearing a jacket. Despite the SEATTLE 1977 not showing the band at 100%, the band still did better than any band would have done on their best day. And just think, despite the drugs and the wear and tear of being on the third leg of the 1977 Tour, the band nearly finished the whole 1977 tour. That's a miracle in itself. You are right "Nutrocker," no one ever booed the mighty LED ZEPPELIN even on their worse nights. The main thing is that everyone had a great time, what more could you ask for? And with this in mind, that is what Rock n' Roll is all about as you stated in your comment. Thanks for your comment and ROCK ON!

Edited by ZeppFanForever

• 5 weeks later...

i dont know what happened between march and july,but i saw them at the pontiac mi show and even cavernous silverdomes bad acoustics didnt stop a great zep show.trampeled under foot was my fav with the giant color wheels.plants voice was good,timing was on.acting with the crowd and each other.90000 people seem to agree.but have heard the later shows on the tour wernt as good,i feel sorry for those people.

i dont know what happened between march and july,but i saw them at the pontiac mi show and even cavernous silverdomes bad acoustics didnt stop a great zep show.trampeled under foot was my fav with the giant color wheels.plants voice was good,timing was on.acting with the crowd and each other.90000 people seem to agree.but have heard the later shows on the tour wernt as good,i feel sorry for those people.

How's it going "eaglebower?" I hope that life is treating you well, it sure has been treating me well. You saw the Pontiac Siverdome show on 30 April 1977, that's on my Mom's "B" Day! Didn't LED ZEPPELIN take a 2 week break after the Pontiac Silverdome show? I heard that the March shows up to the June shows were not bad at all. I saw and witnessed The Forum show on 23 June 1977 and one month later at the Oakland Coliseum on 23 July 1977. In my opinion, the final shows in June were the last great shows that the mighty LED ZEPPELIN ever performed live. What ever happened after the last Forum show on 27 June 1977 up to the Seattle Kingdome show on 17 July 1977, it must have been very bad as far as drugs is concerned. The friendship between Pagey and Bonzo grew closer as a result of their continuous heroin addiction and usage that the both of them shared in common. In my opinion, the Seattle show was not the greatest, but it was not their very best either. Seattle did have some great moments though such as "No Quarter" and "Kashmir" just to name a few.

It is also my opinion and I know that "tom kid" will agree with me on this one, the Tempe, Arizona show on 20 July 1977, was absolutely awful. It kills me to say this but its true. However, "tom kid" and I do differ when it comes to comparing both the Tempe, Arizona 20 July 1977 show and the Oakland shows on 23 & 24 July 1977. Really, when you think about it, in my opinion, all three shows were bad!

to sum this all up in its proper perspective, all of the July shows were awful and LED ZEPPELIN was not up to par meaning that they were nowhere near 100%.

On a good note and I've said this before, LED ZEPPELIN'S worse night of performing was greater than any band's greatest night ever! That should tell you something "eaglebower!" LED ZEPPELIN is and always will be, THE ALL-TIME GREATEST LIVE BAND THAT MUSIC EVER PRODUCED! ROCK ON FOREVER my friend.

Edited by ZeppFanForever

Yes. This raises the point where the artist should, at least in theory, try to maintain a certain standard of performance- after all, people did pay money to see them perform (and a lot less than we pay now! :D ). That Pontiac show must have been a hell of a spectacle! I'm always impressed in these '77 discussions to read accounts by people who were actually there; I repeat, the recordings, etc don't quite do these shows justice. And by 1977 Led Zeppelin may not have been up to the live standard they once were night after night (but, hell, they had some shaky shows throughout their career...it just got more frequent as time went on) but, again, these fans aren't booing...I doubt they stormed the ticket booths demanding refunds the same way they demanded tickets...

And, yeah- there is no doubt Tempe is a below-par performance. It's definitely filled with more "Jimmy, what the fuck?!" moments than any other, '77 or otherwise. I believe I've said before that they should have just stopped the whole damn tour in LA on June 27...say they'd played the Kingdome June 17th instead. The band was tired by July- the August shows wouldn't have been much of an improvement, I don't think. We probably wouldn't have had the sort of 'Final leg rally' we had in 1975. 'Cept Zeppelin didn't really have health problems to blame for the raggedness in 1977 (only those that were of the self-inflicted variety)...that's probably what makes the really good nights, like L.A. and Pontiac, so special.

Yes. This raises the point where the artist should, at least in theory, try to maintain a certain standard of performance- after all, people did pay money to see them perform (and a lot less than we pay now! :D ). That Pontiac show must have been a hell of a spectacle! I'm always impressed in these '77 discussions to read accounts by people who were actually there; I repeat, the recordings, etc don't quite do these shows justice. And by 1977 Led Zeppelin may not have been up to the live standard they once were night after night (but, hell, they had some shaky shows throughout their career...it just got more frequent as time went on) but, again, these fans aren't booing...I doubt they stormed the ticket booths demanding refunds the same way they demanded tickets...

And, yeah- there is no doubt Tempe is a below-par performance. It's definitely filled with more "Jimmy, what the fuck?!" moments than any other, '77 or otherwise. I believe I've said before that they should have just stopped the whole damn tour in LA on June 27...say they'd played the Kingdome June 17th instead. The band was tired by July- the August shows wouldn't have been much of an improvement, I don't think. We probably wouldn't have had the sort of 'Final leg rally' we had in 1975. 'Cept Zeppelin didn't really have health problems to blame for the raggedness in 1977 (only those that were of the self-inflicted variety)...that's probably what makes the really good nights, like L.A. and Pontiac, so special.

Hi "Nutrocker!" How are you? I totally agree with you, the band was worn down with fatigue by July. The band should have ended the tour by the end of June. Have a great day and ROCK ON FOREVER my friend.

• 1 month later...

Going through my pile of Zep-related interviews going back 20 years, I found an interview with JPJ about the Tempe '77 show. This was in the Phoenix Gazette on December 1, 1994 in support of the Diamanda Galas show. I didn't go to the show--I have no idea why--but I saved several clippings related to it.

"I seem to be playing more intensely than I used to play, and faster as well," Jones says over the phone from his motel room in Austin, Texas. He is in the middle of a 16-city tour in support of "Sporting Life," his recorded collaboration with Galas. "I seem to be having a second wind."

The last time Jones was in Phoenix, in the late 70s, Led Zeppelin appeared to be out of wind. The concert at Arizona State University Activity Center, one of the last in America for the band, was an event that started late and turned ugly, with the band sounding out of sync and drug-addled guitarist Jimmy page looking worse. When asked about the show, Jones could only groan.

"Was it dreadful? Yeah, I remember that," Jones says. "It was a horrible night. Jimmy wasn't, uh . . . well. We started off in half time. I apologize," Jones says. The concert with Galas on Friday night at Gammage Auditorium "won't be like that," he adds. "Everything will be much, much better. "

Edited by PhxHorn

The last time Jones was in Phoenix, in the late 70s, Led Zeppelin appeared to be out of wind. The concert at Arizona State University Activity Center, one of the last in America for the band, was an event that started late and turned ugly, with the band sounding out of sync and drug-addled guitarist Jimmy page looking worse. When asked about the show, Jones could only groan.

"Was it dreadful? Yeah, I remember that," Jones says. "It was a horrible night. Jimmy wasn't, uh . . . well. We started off in half time. I apologize," Jones says. The concert with Galas on Friday night at Gammage Auditorium "won't be like that," he adds. "Everything will be much, much better. "

The band had been on break and did not perform from June 28th to July 16th, during which Jimmy, Scarlet and Richard Cole spent two weeks on holiday in Guadeloupe, West Indies. This was only the second show following that break! They

travelled in luxury (Ceasar's Chariot) (stayed at Marriott's Camelback Inn for this concert) and had been on the West Coast nearly a week so jet-lag should not have been a real factor.

Frankly, JPJ is calling a spade a spade as to why this concert was so disappointment - addiction. Bear in mind two nights later their $25,000 cash advance for Day on The Green concert was immediately given to a known drug dealer in the room at the San Francisco Hilton. (Source: Concert Promoter Bill Graham)

Frankly, JPJ is calling a spade a spade as to why this concert was so disappointment - addiction. Bear in mind two nights later their $25,000 cash advance for Day on The Green concert was immediately given to a known drug dealer in the room at the San Francisco Hilton. (Source: Concert Promoter Bill Graham)

Very true, Steve...and of course Bill Graham did not like that one bit! Of course, from the sounds of it, it's not like Page's antics had Jonesy's seal of approval, either.

I can't remember where I came across this picture, but supposedly it is at some point during Zep's stay in Tempe (note the ASU T-shirt; click on the pic to make it bigger):

post-9335-125885158186_thumb.jpg

Jimmy Page, as prototype Poster Child for the "Just Say NO" campaign...

I can't remember where I came across this picture, but supposedly it is at some point during Zep's stay in Tempe (note the ASU T-shirt; click on the pic to make it bigger):

post-9335-125885158186_thumb.jpg

I'm going strictly from memory so don't hold me to it but it may have been taken in California while Jimmy was on the ARMS Tour in December 1983. Perhaps at the hotel in San Francisco. I'm really struggling to recall. It could actually be Tempe '77 'cause he was wearing white pants and black boots in July '77, but that looks like Dec '83 hair. Hard to say from that angle.

It could be it's the jacket that looks familiar to me. I have a stack of color and b&w off-stage photos taken of Jimmy during the '83 ARMS tour (Nov 28th thru Dec 9th). Some of them were taken by Steve Granitz of Los Angeles. They aren't within reach or I would post them. Anyway, as I recall he wore that jacket (if it is the one I'm thinking of it's actually a shade of orange) offstage on the West Coast, and wore his butterfly jacket while playing the New York city dates. It's just that until now I didn't know he may have worn both jackets in '77 & '83. He definitely

wore the butterfly jacket from Led Zeppelin's last North American concert in Oakland on 7/24/77 in NYC on 12/8/83 (see below).

JimmyButterflyCoat.jpg

Oakland 7/24/77

1983_12_08NewYorkMSG.jpg

Madison Square Garden, NYC, Dec 8, 1983

ARMS Photo courtesy of Steve A. Jones Archive

Edited by SteveAJones

• 6 years later...

I'm new to this forum and still figuring out navigation and search functions.

I was at the Tempe show. Ever since, until recently, I have told people that any garage band could have blown the band off the stage that night. It stunk, terribly but not totally. I've never heard any audio from that show, but apparently someone has it somewhere. The arena had horrible acoustics and Page looked and played like hell. I don't want to read anything more here about that show so I can sit down and think about it and maybe call the friends that were with me that night.

I believe the band started with The Song Remains The Same and it sucked. I also remember after a few songs, a roadie bringing out a chair for Page and he slouched there for a few songs, I think.  August in Tempe/Phoenix is about as close to hell on earth as you can get and everyone was  sweaty and pissed off, nd that's just the audience.  I can call my friends that were there, but after I concentrate with a little memory herb. Maybe replicating the atmosphere will better jog my memory. But, in retroxpect, some of the songs were spot on, acoustic ones I think. I have grown more forgiving now that I'm truing learn some of Page's licks. I feel lucky to have seen them at all. As far I remember none of my friends had audio recording going, but one may have taken some pics. I'll have to call her and find out. The strongest memory of that night was the 240 mile round trip to the show and back, in the back seat of a Pinto with no AC and many miles  of concrete highway...in August...in Arizona...

18 hours ago, Zonie Grey Ghost said:

I was at the Tempe show. Ever since, until recently, I have told people that any garage band could have blown the band off the stage that night. It stunk, terribly but not totally. I've never heard any audio from that show, but apparently someone has it somewhere. The arena had horrible acoustics and Page looked and played like hell. I don't want to read anything more here about that show so I can sit down and think about it and maybe call the friends that were with me that night.

I believe the band started with The Song Remains The Same and it sucked. I also remember after a few songs, a roadie bringing out a chair for Page and he slouched there for a few songs, I think.  August in Tempe/Phoenix is about as close to hell on earth as you can get and everyone was  sweaty and pissed off, nd that's just the audience.  I can call my friends that were there, but after I concentrate with a little memory herb. Maybe replicating the atmosphere will better jog my memory. But, in retroxpect, some of the songs were spot on, acoustic ones I think. I have grown more forgiving now that I'm truing learn some of Page's licks. I feel lucky to have seen them at all. As far I remember none of my friends had audio recording going, but one may have taken some pics. I'll have to call her and find out. The strongest memory of that night was the 240 mile round trip to the show and back, in the back seat of a Pinto with no AC and many miles  of concrete highway...in August...in Arizona...

Perhaps this will jog your memory. :)

18 hours ago, Zonie Grey Ghost said:

Sounds like a fun night. Thank you for taking the time. Was the venue the basketball arena where the ASU team plays?