Plant on The Old Grey Whistle Test

georgio

Early in his solo career, Plant appeared on the British music show The Old Grey Whistle Test - I recall seeing him sing "Worse Than Detroit."

What happened to the recording? I recall vaguely that Plant was unhappy with his performance and that the show did not air in its entirety.

Can anybody (Steve Jones?) remember what happened? Was it really a bad performance?

What was the set list?

Thanks

Early in his solo career, Plant appeared on the British music show The Old Grey Whistle Test - I recall seeing him sing "Worse Than Detroit."

What happened to the recording? I recall vaguely that Plant was unhappy with his performance and that the show did not air in its entirety.

Can anybody (Steve Jones?) remember what happened? Was it really a bad performance?

What was the set list?

Thanks

It wasn't 'The Olde Grey Whistle Test', it was his performance for the television program 'A Midsummer Night's Tube'

recorded on June 22, 1983 at the Tyne Tees Television Studio in Newcastle, England. Robert was dissatisfied with the

performance and moves were taken to halt it from ever airing. Ultimately, Robert himself acquired the mastertapes

for something like 20,000 quid and so far as I know the recording has never leaked out into circulation. It was done

to promote the release of his second solo album, 'The Principle of Moments', and undoubtedly featured tracks from

his first solo album as well. There were two or three forum members who attended and they could possibly confirm

specific songs or performance details. I believe there is also an audience audio recording in circulation.

It wasn't 'The Olde Grey Whistle Test', it was his performance for the television program 'A Midsummer Night's Tube'

recorded on June 22, 1983 at the Tyne Tees Television Studio in Newcastle, England. Robert was dissatisfied with the

performance and moves were taken to halt it from ever airing. Ultimately, Robert himself acquired the mastertapes

for something like 20,000 quid and so far as I know the recording has never leaked out into circulation. It was done

to promote the release of his second solo album, 'The Principle of Moments', and undoubtedly featured tracks from

his first solo album as well. There were two or three forum members who attended and they could possibly confirm

specific songs or performance details. I believe there is also an audience audio recording in circulation.

Tracks performed were:

1. Little Sister

2. Treat Me Right

3. Sea Of Love

4. Pledge Pin

5. Other Arms

6. In The Mood

7. Big Log

8. Like I've Never Been Gone

9. Worse Than Detroit

10. Other Arms (take 2)

11. In The Mood (take 2)

12. Big Log (take 2)

13. Fat Lip

14.Burning Down One Side

Robbie Blunt: Guitar

Bob Mayo: Guitar

Paul Martinez: Bass Guitar

Jezz Woodroffe: Keyboards

Roger Taylor (from Queen): Drums

Noted with interest in the Wiki wisdom below the sound mix for the program was often poor...perhaps Robert was

more dissatisfied with the production than the performance:

The Tube was an innovative United Kingdom pop/rock music television programme, which ran for five series, from 5 November 1982 until 1987. It was produced in Newcastle upon Tyne for Channel 4 by Tyne Tees Television, which had previously produced the similar music show Alright Now and the music-oriented youth show Check it Out for ITV; production of the latter ended in favour of The Tube.

The Tube was presented live by hosts including Jools Holland, Paula Yates, Leslie Ash, Muriel Gray, Gary James, Michel Cremona, Nick Laird-Clowes and Mike Everitt. It was relaunched by Channel 4 as an online radio station in November 2006. The show was directed by Gavin Taylor; Geoff Wonfor directed some of the insert videos along with other staff programme director of Tyne Tees Television Martin Cairns. Many other specials were made, including one for the eve of the millennium.

The cornerstone of the shows was the live performances from three or four bands each week. In an era where most music TV shows featured non-stop miming, the fully live sets by the guest artists were innovative (but the sound mix was often very poor, with a curious quality that made it sound like everything had been 'phased'). The programme would start with a 45 minute magazine section consisting of interviews, fashion items and comedy appearances by a wide range of alternative artistes.

I have found that the 'Midsummer Night's Tube' was a 5 hour version broadcast live from the Tyne Tees studios, the pub across the road from the studios and The Hoppings annual fair in Newcastle. This ground breaking broadcast was, at the time, the longest continuous live music show in television history and received much critical and technical acclaim. However, seeing as we know Robert Plant's performance never aired, let the record show he performed on June 22, 1983 for the weekly broadcast known simply as 'The Tube'.

Old Tyne Tees Television Studios Tyne-Tees Television recently moved to new studios in the Gateshead area and this is the old studios on City Road in Newcastle. I bet the staff miss having the great pub The Egypt Cottage next door to the studios. This is also where the TV show The Tube was filmed. It was called The Tube due to the tube like entrance on City Road to that particular studio. I have heard the entire site is slated for demolition.

Newcastle1.jpg

Newcastle2.jpg

Newcastle3.jpg

Newcastle4.jpg

Newcastle5.jpg

Newcastle6.jpg

Newcastle7.jpg

Photos courtesy of Steve A. Jones Archive

Thanks guys - very interesting and informative. A shame that this might be a lost bit of history if Plant doesn't look back and do something with his archives. I know he had his 9 lives DVD and such, but this was a seminal time wasn't it.

I do like Plant's first two solo albums, which were quite ignored in his Sixty Six to Timbuktu retrospective in favour of his later years with Phil Johnstone and the Strange Sensation bunch.

The Tube was a fun show, and the episodes I saw of it were pretty colourful. For some reason I read that it was the Olde Grey Whistle Test (the stark surroundings of the performance I watched seemed to bear this out). I recall Paula Yates co-hosting the Tube but it was a pretty glitzy affair by that time.

Hope the masters are being kept intact somewhere although I reckon they would look like what Knebworth 79 turned out to be if they don't transfer the format. Robert is hardly the nostalgic type it appears...

I have found that the 'Midsummer Night's Tube' was a 5 hour version broadcast live from the Tyne Tees studios, the pub across the road from the studios and The Hoppings annual fair in Newcastle. This ground breaking broadcast was, at the time, the longest continuous live music show in television history and received much critical and technical acclaim. However, seeing as we know Robert Plant's performance never aired, let the record show he performed on June 22, 1983 for the weekly broadcast known simply as 'The Tube'.

No, the record is that he recorded his performance for "A Midsummer Night's Tube". He never appeared on "The Tube", and did not record this performance for it.

And the Egypt Cottage closed a few weeks ago.

whiterock.jpg

None of this performance has ever been aired ANYWHERE - so I am guessing that the "Worse Than Detroit" performance the original poster recalls seeing is is from his performance at "The Princes Trust Rock Gala", recorded at The Dominion Theatre in London on 21st July 1982, where he played with Mick Karn of Japan. "Worse Than Detroit" was one of the songs he performed (actually I think it may have been the only song - I was there and also have the video of the show somewhere but memory ain't too grand this morning).

Incidentally, the Tyne Tees studios you show in your pics is also where Bonzo recorded his interview with Billy Connolly in 1980. Robert also returned there to record a performance for the Tyne Tees music show "The Roxy", though neither of those were in "The Tube" building.

No, the record is that he recorded his performance for "A Midsummer Night's Tube". He never appeared on "The Tube", and did not record this performance for it.

whiterock.jpg

Incidentally, the Tyne Tees studios you show in your pics is also where Bonzo recorded his interview with Billy Connolly in 1980. Robert also returned there to record a performance for the Tyne Tees music show "The Roxy", though neither of those were in "The Tube" building.

I was hoping you would contribute to this thread, given your ties to Newcastle. I shall have to read up on this telecast,

as I was lead to believe it aired live and this cannot be true given Robert halted the airing of his performance. Do you

recall if some, all or none of the musical performances for this five hour program were pre-recorded? I don't have any

information at all on Robert's appearance on 'The Roxy'. Can you provide any further details?

The Roxy (TV series)

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Roxy is a British television music programme that was broadcast on ITV in the late 1980s. It was produced by Tyne Tees Television following the demise a few months earlier of its more successful music show The Tube.

This 30 minute programme made its debut in 1987 and was presented by David Jensen and Kevin Sharkey. The show opened with Erasure performing "Victim Of Love". It featured the music chart as used on its sister programme, a radio show called The Network Chart Show.

Whereas The Tube featured rock and punk bands and emerging musicians, The Roxy concentrated on the mainstream UK singles chart. The show suffered, however, from not having a regular slot on the ITV network. Also, unlike The Tube which had gained a loyal fanbase and respect from artists, mainstream acts were reluctant to travel to Newcastle upon Tyne for a three minute performance when they could appear on the more established Top of the Pops in the more accessible London.[1]

After an industrial dispute which saw the end of live performances. and failing to compete with its long running BBC counterpart, Top of the Pops, The Roxy was cancelled. The programme lasted for just over a year. The final edition of The Roxy was broadcast on April 6, 1988.

-----------------------------------------------

I show Robert performed at Newcastle City Hall on March 24th 1988 with support from It Bites. Anyone know if his appearance on The Roxy television program was perhaps recorded earlier that day?

No he made a special trip to Newcastle to record The Roxy - I recall it was in 1988, trying to remember which song it was for - I think it was a mimed performance as this was a much less "serious" music show than "The Tube".

Robert's performance for "A Midsummer Night's Tube" was pre-recorded with the intention of airing it during the live broadcast - that's why his name was put on the advance posters as shown. Some segments of the show and its main show "The Tube" were always pre-recorded though the actual shows went out live.

Sorry for all the edits in my original post, was remembering things as I typed. ;)

No he made a special trip to Newcastle to record The Roxy - I recall it was in 1988, trying to remember which song it was for - I think it was a mimed performance as this was a much less "serious" music show than "The Tube".

Robert's performance for "A Midsummer Night's Tube" was pre-recorded with the intention of airing it during the live broadcast - that's why his name was put on the advance posters as shown. Some segments of the show and its main show "The Tube" were always pre-recorded though the actual shows went out live.

Sorry for all the edits in my original post, was remembering things as I typed. wink.gif

Very interesting. I can't believe I haven't heard of this television performance before and obviously so far as I know

it is not in circulation. Sounds as if it could well have been done to promote the first single off the new album, 'Heaven Knows'. I will continue the search for further details.

Had never seen one of those advance posters before but it substantiates everything you have said about Robert Plant's involvement perfectly. Thanks so much for helping to set the historical record straight on that performance.

Edited to add: 'Worse Than Detrot' is indeed the only song he performed at the Dominion Theatre during The Prince's Trust Rock Gala charity benefit.

Very interesting. I can't believe I haven't heard of this television performance before and obviously so far as I know

it is not in circulation. Sounds as if it could well have been done to promote the first single off the new album, 'Heaven Knows'. I will continue the search for further details.

Had never seen one of those advance posters before but it substantiates everything you have said about Robert Plant's involvement perfectly. Thanks so much for helping to set the historical record straight on that performance.

Glad to help.

I will have taped the "Roxy"performance when it aired but heaven only knows where that video is now. If I ever find it, I'll get it uploaded. I also attended, so if any old diary entries provide the date I'll post it.

whiterock.jpg

None of this performance has ever been aired ANYWHERE - so I am guessing that the "Worse Than Detroit" performance the original poster recalls seeing is is from his performance at "The Princes Trust Rock Gala", recorded at The Dominion Theatre in London on 21st July 1982, where he played with Mick Karn of Japan. "Worse Than Detroit" was one of the songs he performed (actually I think it may have been the only song - I was there and also have the video of the show somewhere but memory ain't too grand this morning).

Nope nope - definitely was not the Prince's Trust. I've seen enough to know what that is, and have attended the Prince's Trust concerts...

Nope nope - definitely was not the Prince's Trust. I've seen enough to know what that is, and have attended the Prince's Trust concerts...

Well, he was interviewed on 'Olde Grey Whistle Test' by David Hepworth and that aired May 14th 1985, but it was to promote the release of 'Shaken n' Stirred' so it's doubtful they would have screened 'Worse Than Detroit'. In any

event, whatever you may or may not recall it was not from 'A Midsummer Night's Tube' as explained above.

It probably was the Tube show. It was one of those pre-recorded, no or few live audience feel kinda gigs. I agree that it felt like an insert for the show, which was what they did. Very standard set up.

Georgio, whatever it was it wasn't The Tube. Robert bought the footage and there were NO other copies - it has NEVER been shown - I was talking about this to a Tube executive only a couple of months ago. Also, there WAS a live audience for the taping that he did - quite a large one.

I should add that I remembered last night that he DID appear on The Tube's weekly show - but not live and not in the studio - he was interviewed for it in JBs club in Dudley ( the original one, not the one that exists now ) - I think that was in late 82 or early 83.

So are you all saying that this performance was a live performance or done lip synching? I am totally enthralled at the idea of Roger Taylor (from Queen...not Duran Duran) performing with Robert Plant. I just wish that Roger Taylor could have done some back up vocals...not that there are many in Robert's early solo songs if I recall correctly.

So are you all saying that this performance was a live performance or done lip synching? I am totally enthralled at the idea of Roger Taylor (from Queen...not Duran Duran) performing with Robert Plant. I just wish that Roger Taylor could have done some back up vocals...not that there are many in Robert's early solo songs if I recall correctly.

His 1983 'A Midsummer Night's Tube' performance was recorded live with no lip-synching but never aired on tv.

His 1988 performance for 'The Roxy' was pre-recorded with lip-synching and aired on tv.

Noted with interest in the Wiki wisdom below the sound mix for the program was often poor...perhaps Robert was

more dissatisfied with the production than the performance:

The Tube was an innovative United Kingdom pop/rock music television programme, which ran for five series, from 5 November 1982 until 1987. It was produced in Newcastle upon Tyne for Channel 4 by Tyne Tees Television, which had previously produced the similar music show Alright Now and the music-oriented youth show Check it Out for ITV; production of the latter ended in favour of The Tube.

The Tube was presented live by hosts including Jools Holland, Paula Yates, Leslie Ash, Muriel Gray, Gary James, Michel Cremona, Nick Laird-Clowes and Mike Everitt. It was relaunched by Channel 4 as an online radio station in November 2006. The show was directed by Gavin Taylor; Geoff Wonfor directed some of the insert videos along with other staff programme director of Tyne Tees Television Martin Cairns. Many other specials were made, including one for the eve of the millennium.

The cornerstone of the shows was the live performances from three or four bands each week. In an era where most music TV shows featured non-stop miming, the fully live sets by the guest artists were innovative (but the sound mix was often very poor, with a curious quality that made it sound like everything had been 'phased'). The programme would start with a 45 minute magazine section consisting of interviews, fashion items and comedy appearances by a wide range of alternative artistes.

Well, if Plant did play "Worse than Detroit" - it would've had to be 1982 or thereabouts...it's not a song that he would perform moving forward in his career past his Little by Little album. I'm not surprised if it was the Tube actually regardless of what an executive said. I saw one song - not a whole concert - so one or two songs might've been ok'ed. Also, I'm not surprised if Plant had been on another show - if you consider that British music shows were a staple at the time. Many many artists graced these shows - it was kind of a tradition - the Old Grey Whistle Test (not my favourite) was a veritable who's who of acts - Bob Marley, Police, Dire Straits, Clapton...so would Plant NOT have been on any of these shows? Hard to say with certainty.

Well, if Plant did play "Worse than Detroit" - it would've had to be 1982 or thereabouts...it's not a song that he would perform moving forward in his career past his Little by Little album. I'm not surprised if it was the Tube actually regardless of what an executive said. I saw one song - not a whole concert - so one or two songs might've been ok'ed.

No comment.

Well, if Plant did play "Worse than Detroit" - it would've had to be 1982 or thereabouts...it's not a song that he would perform moving forward in his career past his Little by Little album. I'm not surprised if it was the Tube actually regardless of what an executive said. I saw one song - not a whole concert - so one or two songs might've been ok'ed. Also, I'm not surprised if Plant had been on another show - if you consider that British music shows were a staple at the time. Many many artists graced these shows - it was kind of a tradition - the Old Grey Whistle Test (not my favourite) was a veritable who's who of acts - Bob Marley, Police, Dire Straits, Clapton...so would Plant NOT have been on any of these shows? Hard to say with certainty.

I don't know how to say this any other way - IT WAS NOT THE TUBE. Absolutely NO WAY.

NO songs were "ok'ed". Robert Plant and his people took THE ONLY COPY away with them - believe me he hasn't released any parts of it.

What British music "shows" are you refering to?

At the time of his solo career starting, there was The Old Grey Whistle Test, TOTP ( we know he appeared on that), and The Tube. Oh, and if you count it, "Pop Quiz" - which he appeared on twice. That's all.

I believe what you saw was The Princes Trust Rock Gala.

In addition to Knebby twice confirming the fact it was NOT on the Tube, I've read that in various interviews that Robert took the master tape and I believe paid as well, not to have the performance aired. He absolutely did "Worse Than Detroit" on the Prince's Trust as I have it on dvd.

I'm not sure why you're having a hard time accepting the facts

Archived