jimmy Page outrider tour 1988

I interviewed my neighbor who saw JP on November 4th 1988, in syracuse at the war memorial.

She had quite the story because she was able to get up onstage and kiss jimmy! Im going to try and post what she said online sometime soon. And Jimmy also gave her one of his picks (a blue Fender Thin btw)

Basically i was wondering if anyone out there went to the show and witnessed this. I also did some research and found out that there is a video of this whole show but I can't find it anywhere to dl.

I interviewed my neighbor who saw JP on November 4th 1988, in syracuse at the war memorial.

She had quite the story because she was able to get up onstage and kiss jimmy! Im going to try and post what she said online sometime soon. And Jimmy also gave her one of his picks (a blue Fender Thin btw)

Basically i was wondering if anyone out there went to the show and witnessed this. I also did some research and found out that there is a video of this whole show but I can't find it anywhere to dl.

I have the dvd and audio of this show somewhere in my collection. I may root it out to see if she is on it.

Yes, I've got the complete show on film and a women does get onstage and momentarily embrace him before being led away. I don't condone that sort of behavior at all, but at least she was gentle. The woman who got onstage at the Nassau County Coliseum on 10/28 nearly knocked him over (also on film).

The anecdotes and personal photos of the woman who was presented a guitar at the Tempe, AZ concert is

being shared with the forum in the Zeppelin Mysteries thread.

Jimmy Page

Outrider North American Tour

Onondaga_County_War_Memorial_front.jpg

November 4 1988

Onondaga County War Memorial

Syracuse, NY

Who's to Blame

Prelude

Over the Hills and Far Away

Wanna Make Love

Writes of Winter

Tear Down the Walls

Emerald Eyes

Midnight Moonlight

In My Time of Dying

City Sirens > Drum Solo

Someone to Love

Prison Blues

The Chase > bow solo

Wasting My Time

Blues Anthem

Custard Pie

Train Kept A Rollin'

Stairway to Heaven

Page Climbs Solo Stairway to Heaven

Post-Standard, Syracuse, NY November 4, 1988

By GARY GRAFF

Knight-Ridder News Service

Guitarist Jimmy Page has 10 of rock's most famous fingers, digits that have hammered out the power chords of "Whole Lotta Love" and plucked the delicate melody of "Stairway to Heaven" in stadiums and arenas around the world.

The ex-Led Zeppelin leader's first-ever solo tour reaches the Onondaga County War Memorial tonight. During almost 25 years of playing, 44-year-old British guitar whiz Page has become the most imitated guitarist in rock 'n' roll history, outranking peers like Eric Clapton and Jimi Hendrix. Many of his Zeppelin songs that still fill the playlists of rock radio stations are considered classics, and his guitar riffs are landmarks for any young band.

"I know there's a hell of a reputation that I've got," said Page, who's also logged time in the Yardbirds and the Firm. "It's become almost like a textbook with all these new bands trying to recreate it. It's fantastic to have created that legacy, so obviously I'm very proud of it."

Now, however, Page is working to build on that heritage. During the summer he released "Outrider," his first solo album, not counting the sound track to ''Death Wish II" in 1980. It's something Page fans have been waiting for since Led Zeppelin broke up eight years ago after the death of drummer John Bonham. But Page has made them wait for it.

"I've been involved in other things." he said, ticking off the activities that delayed the start of his solo career: a period spent recovering from Bonham's death, the 1983 ARMS benefit tour and his two-year involvement with the Firm. Page also said he's "never had a burning desire for a solo career," but he did admit that his legacy made it a somewhat daunting prospect. "I had to gear up for it," he said. "It took awhile to do that."

For "Outrider," Page enlisted singers John Miles and Chris Farlow, and Bonham's son, Jason, on drums. He also hooked up with exbandmate Robert Plant for one song. And he decided that the best way to live up to fan's expectations would be to create a blues and rock review course in Jimmy Page-ology.

"I decided to touch back to my roots rather than trying to pioneer something new at this time," he said. "I think that's the first step down the road to a strong solo career. I said, 'I'm going to be as reckless as possible ... and do what I really believe in making spontaneous music up on the spot.' We used to work like that in (Zeppelin), to be honest."

In preparing for his first solo tour with Miles, Bonham and bassist Durban Laverde Page decided to keep to those roots, roaring from the Yardbirds' nugget "Train Kept a-Rollin" through Zeppelin favorites (including an instrumental version of "Stairway to Heaven") and material from "Outrider." But Page cautioned that the retrospective approach doesn't mean he's in a time warp.

"On the second album, the approach will be totally different," he said. "I won't be making stuff up in the studio there. That will be really, really planned, I'll really work to shape a sound."

One thing that's definitely doubtful for the future, however, is another Led Zeppelin reunion Page and Plant continue to have a cordial but volatile relationship "I find his demeanor a bit questionable at the moment:" the guitarist said - and Page was unhappy with the two Zeppelin reunions that have been staged.

Courtesy of Steve A. Jones Archive

Page Concert Marked By Disappointing Fare

Post-Standard, Syracuse, NY, November 5, 1988

By LARRY HOYT

"The guitar is great therapy for me," Jimmy Page said in a recent interview. "Where some people might throw plates against the wall, I take out my guitar."

Friday night at the War Memorial, Page took out several guitars, performing a two-hour musical therapy session for 4,100 of the legendary guitarist's fans. Unfortunately, Page's Syracuse stop on the "Outrider" band tour did little to dispel the notion that Page's best and most creative work as a rock innovator is well behind him.

Page's status as a rock legend was built two decades ago, first as successor to Jeff Beck and Eric Clapton in the Yardbirds. and then as the guitar wizard of Led Zeppelin. When Zeppelin's drummer, John Bonham, died eight years ago, the group disbanded. Page's career since has been a mixed bag of uneven quality, from the inconsequential soundtrack album "Death Wish II," to two lackluster albums with the group the Firm, to the two Led Zeppelin reunion sets one at Live Aid and the second at Atlantic Records 40th anniversary concert.

Although Page's current band vocalist John Miles, bassist Durban Laverde and John Bonham's son, Jason, on drums is a good, hard-rocking unit, they certainly aren't in the same league as Zeppelin. Miles tried his best to imitate the bluesy wail of vocalist Robert Plant on several Zeppelin numbers, but Miles lacks the originality, emotion and just plain magic that Plant brought to the music. Laverde and Bonham form a tight rhythm section, but except for Bonham's center stage drum solo, they are basically supporting players. This puts the weight of the show on Page's shoulders. Although he surely has the musicianship to carry more than his share of the show, even Jimmy Page can only go so far in making some of the show's more banal material listenable.

With the songs Page has recorded in recent years not equal to the material from his Yardbird and Zeppelin days, it's unfortunate that much of Friday's concert relied on tunes from the Firm albums and Page's current record, "Outrider" an album that has failed to excite either the fans or the critics.

"Wanna Make Love" from "Outrider" is only a passable imitation of a Zeppelin rocker, and "Wasting My Time" is a song that is too aptly titled. With Page playing acoustic guitar, Miles and Page performed a duet on one of the evening's few "quiet" songs, "Blues Anthem," a song that is more of an English drinking tune than a traditional blues. Page has said most of "Outrider" was written in the studio as it was being recorded, and that the record is "not geared to any commercial aspect." However noble those sentiments may be, Page's diehard rock fans want to hear the best music they know Page is capable of making, and they make no secret of their preference for the older tunes.

Led Zeppelin T-shirts were common throughout the audience. The shouts of "Zeppelin" were common throughout the show. Page played a number of familiar riffs in a "Spot That Tune" Zeppelin medley, and he saved two of his best numbers for encores. His blistering performance of "Train Kept A Rollin'" from his Yardbird days was a welcome tribute to one of the most influential bands in rock history. His second encore number was an obligatory rendition of the No. 1 radio hit of the past 20 years, the epic "Stairway to Heaven."

With Page strapping on a dual-necked 12- and 6-string guitar for this final number, drummer Bonham took on the role of choirmaster, leading the standing crowd through a singalong accompanyment to Page's instrumental performance. This was the song the crowd had come to hear, and Page played it with the intensity and authority that the best of the Led Zeppelin tunes deserve.

Courtesy of Steve A. Jones Archive

I was at this show. I snuck in a cassette recorder and recorded it. The cassette is probably in a box along with the other 3 shows I "recorded". I remember it being a rainy night and a jacked up adrelaine pot smoking crowd.

Wow. Reading the review above I just felt compelled to chime in. I saw the Outrider tour on 14 October 1988 at Memorial Hall in Kansas City, Kansas. The show was initially scheduled for Kemper Arena, which would have meant about 12,000 fans, but was moved to Memorial Hall for... "lack of ticket sales..." Roughly 3,000 people showed up and what we saw... was magic.

Following the show I took four friends to the hotel I suspected Jimmy was at and we all met him in the bar. Jason, Durban Laverde and Jimmy's road manager were there as well. Jimmy spent close to 30 minutes talking with me and my friends, very friendly, very humble... very cool.

I have written about this night before, in much greater detail... PM me if you'd like and I will direct you to the place where it's at on-line. It's a fascinating read.

Here is the review from the Kansas City Star, by Brian McTavish, dated 16 October 1988:

The often imitated Jimmy Page, who's been accused of imitating himself through the years, didn't fail to impress as a rock original Friday night at Memorial Hall. Did I say rock? Blues was more like it - electrified, howling, singing and stinging stuff that jump-started the cheering audience's fierce nostalgia for Page's old mega-band Led-Zeppelin.

While Page hardly invented the slave-derived music he used for the foundation of such rock 'n' roll skyscrapers as The Yardbirds and Zeppelin, his influence on subsequent rock-guitar royalty is inestimable. After listening to him serenade and swoop in for the kill on his trademark Stratocaster for two hours, an idea of whom Eddie Van Halen must have glued his ears to as a kid became clearer.

Page delivered more than memories. He was creating new ones, too. As he said in his quiet English accent:"We're going to do tunes from the past, the very distant past, the present and the future." He made good on his word with vocalist/keyboardist John Miles, whose gift for mimicry allowed him to sound like Zeppelin's Robert Plant and Van Halen's Sammy Hagar. Also helping out were bassist Durban Laverde and furious drummer Jason Bonham, son of late Zeppelin drummer John Bonham.

At one point a sweat soaked Page raised the body of his guitar for all to see. Then he kissed it. The image shared significance with that of the Greek Olympian of antiquity, who would ceremoniously place the wreath of victory on his own head. Self-acknowledgment, it would seem, is best when shared.

Most of the concert consisted of super-charged selections from Page's first solo album, Outrider. They included a sweet acoustic version of "Blues Anthem" and the slow ache of "Prison Blues," which grew more chaotic as Page's explosive electric guitar licks took off for destinations unknown.

"Train Kept A Rollin," a fiery song originally performed by Johnny Burnette annd the Rock-'n' Roll Trio in the mid-1950's, preceded a stirring instrumental version of Zeppelin's "Stairway To Heaven," which, as you might expect, pushed all the right buttons for the cheering crowd.

Page also jammed Thursday night with Tuff Enough on the outdoor deck of the Harris House in Westport and with the Nelsons down the street at the Lone Star. Evidently, this is one legend who likes to rock the blues whenever he can. It's always nice when big talents aren't connected to big heads.

Wow. Reading the review above I just felt compelled to chime in. I saw the Outrider tour on 14 October 1988 at Memorial Hall in Kansas City, Kansas. The show was initially scheduled for Kemper Arena, which would have meant about 12,000 fans, but was moved to Memorial Hall for... "lack of ticket sales..." Roughly 3,000 people showed up and what we saw... was magic.

Following the show I took four friends to the hotel I suspected Jimmy was at and we all met him in the bar. Jason, Durban Laverde and Jimmy's road manager were there as well. Jimmy spent close to 30 minutes talking with me and my friends, very friendly, very humble... very cool.

I have written about this night before, in much greater detail... PM me if you'd like and I will direct you to the place where it's at on-line. It's a fascinating read.

I believe that was at the Westin Crown Center. Lifelong fan and Kansas City native Susan Hedrick sent me a stack of photos she took with Jimmy and the band in the hotel bar after the show.

Do you remember when the show was moved from Kemper Arena to Memorial Hall? The two days prior were off days (no show) - was it announced further in advance than that? Recall if it was reported in the press? I forgot to ask Susan back then.

Do you have the title of the article you provided and could I have the link to your tale?

"On the second album, the approach will be totally different," Page said."I won't be making stuff up in the studio there. That will be really,really planned, I'll really work to shape a sound."

Hmmmm, I wonder how that's coming along . . . ;)

I believe that was at the Westin Crown Center. Lifelong fan and Kansas City native Susan Hedrick sent me a stack of photos she took with Jimmy and the band in the hotel bar after the show.

Do you remember when the show was moved from Kemper Arena to Memorial Hall? The two days prior were off days (no show) - was it announced further in advance than that? Recall if it was reported in the press? I forgot to ask Susan back then.

Do you have the title of the article you provided and could I have the link to your tale?

Yes, Susan knows me. She sent me some photo's of me and my friends w/ Jimmy from that night. I met her after wards... she was doing Oh Jimmy the magazine and I wrote her, explained the night in KC and she shocked me by writing back and sending photo's! She had remembered me and my friends.

Yes, it was the Westin Crown Center. Every time Jimmy has come here... Firm '86, Outrider '88, P&P '95 & '98 he has stayed a few days, supposedly he knows someone who lives here. Don't recall when the show was moved, but I want to say it was well in advance, like 3-4 weeks, maybe more.

Name of the article I typed out is: Music of Jimmy Page sounds old- and new It was in the Sunday edition of the KC Star, 16 October 1988. I will PM you the link to my meeting Jimmy.

I saw the LA Forum show on that tour. The whole audience singing Stairway while Jimmy played it as an instrumental was full on goosebumps! Fantastic show! Jason playing the electronic drums at the foot of the stage while his drum kit called back, as if his father was in the house, was chilling too! :beer:

I saw the LA Forum show on that tour. The whole audience singing Stairway while Jimmy played it as an instrumental was full on goosebumps! Fantastic show! Jason playing the electronic drums at the foot of the stage while his drum kit called back, as if his father was in the house, was chilling too! beer.gif

Slash was in the house. If memory serves correct Jimmy broke a guitar string in the third or fourth number and stopped

the show very briefly to resolve it.

Slash was in the house. If memory serves correct Jimmy broke a guitar string in the third or fourth number and stopped

the show very briefly to resolve it.

I do recall that, I believe. Though it's been so long I may just be convincing myself I remember it! :lol:

Unfortunately, my cds and dvds are all in storage, so I can't verify it. Damn I hate living 2000 miles from my shit!! :angry:

• 1 year later...

When I saw Jimmy on tour in 1988 , I thought The material off of Outrider came off better live than on his album. It had more guts and impact. John Miles did a very credible job covering all the different varied vocal styles required to compliment Page on this tour.

Yes, I've got the complete show on film and a women does get onstage and momentarily embrace him before being led away. I don't condone that sort of behavior at all, but at least she was gentle. The woman who got onstage at the Nassau County Coliseum on 10/28 nearly knocked him over (also on film).

The anecdotes and personal photos of the woman who was presented a guitar at the Tempe, AZ concert is

being shared with the forum in the Zeppelin Mysteries thread.

I would never so such a thing because I probably would not let go. "NO! He is MINE!!"laugh.gif

I remember watching the Syracuse video boot and it was a great show! I saw Jimmy in Dallas, live at the Starplex Amphitheater 1988 and it was incredible!!! Jimmy played awesome. Jason played great as well!

My friend took off on his wedding night(with the best man,who introduced him to his wife) to see the Outrider tour when it came to the Mesa Ampitheater. Karl(who was getting married) got the tickets (which were extremely hard to get) the morning of his wedding. The day of his wedding had been changed to the day of the Jimmy Page concert at the Mesa Ampitheater. Karl was not your average Zeppelin/Page/Jones/Plant fan, and he was bumming hard over it. Well, on wedding night (when everybody was getting drunk) Karl says to the best man; "I got tickets, we are gonna slip out of here", and they did, they went in their wedding suits to see Jimmy Page driving the car with the 'just married" signs on it and they left the cans on dragging behind the car. They made up of course, she knew what a fan he was. This guy had the finest Zeppelin/Page/Jones/Plant collection I had ever seen. Good Times...

The best man in this story is my best friend now of 30 years, we just seen Rush, but karl; don't know...maybe he'll read this...

Pretty cool story luvlz2. Glad your friend's wife forgave him. Good thing she knows how important it is when a Zeppelin event can interrupt something so nonchalant as a weeding. You can get married anytime, but it isn't often when Jimmy is around to perform a show. Priorities always come first!

My friend took off on his wedding night(with the best man,who introduced him to his wife) to see the Outrider tour when it came to the Mesa Ampitheater. Karl(who was getting married) got the tickets (which were extremely hard to get) the morning of his wedding. The day of his wedding had been changed to the day of the Jimmy Page concert at the Mesa Ampitheater. Karl was not your average Zeppelin/Page/Jones/Plant fan, and he was bumming hard over it. Well, on wedding night (when everybody was getting drunk) Karl says to the best man; "I got tickets, we are gonna slip out of here", and they did, they went in their wedding suits to see Jimmy Page driving the car with the 'just married" signs on it and they left the cans on dragging behind the car. They made up of course, she knew what a fan he was. This guy had the finest Zeppelin/Page/Jones/Plant collection I had ever seen. Good Times...

The best man in this story is my best friend now of 30 years, we just seen Rush, but karl; don't know...maybe he'll read this...

That is a funny story!!^^ I had to laugh ;)

Archived