Roger Daltrey Wants To Form Band With Jimmy Page

Diana-loura

Interesting...

A little more interesting after reading that Daltrey wants to sing blues, but Jimmy isn't one to be boxed into just one genre on an album. It's also difficult for me to picture Daltrey singing any past Page compositions... Zeppelin/Firm/Outrider/Coverdale-Page... having seen the Super Bowl show I find it even more difficult to picture. The other thing is didn't Pete write most, if not all, of their lyrics?

I can't envision Jimmy suddenly forming a band and taking on the added task of lyric writer and I also can't see him doing an entirely blues album... though w/ Jimmy, I'm sure he could pull it off with a wide variety of bluesy styles.

Then... what about a tour? Hmmm... Jimmy playing Baba O'Reilly and Behind Blues Eyes w/ Roger singing In My Time Of Dying and Immigrant Song? I don't know...

It's funny, if you watch performances from The Who in the 60s, Roger has a very mod look to him. When you see performances from them in the mid-late 70s....he's turned into Robert Plant. He's got the long curly blonde hair, super-tight jeans, little shirts.....now he wants to work with Jimmy Page. The transformation is complete!

I kid though, this would be an awesome collaboration, but only if they did new material.

I love both guys but don't see this as a viable mix. The reason it's so hard for Jimmy to find a vocalist in my opinion is that his music is really tough to marry up with lyrics and melodies. It takes a special individual to do it. I just don't see Roger in that mold.

I'd actually rather hear Jimmy just go instrumental so he's not bound by the limitations of a vocalist. If you read his recent interviews, it sounds like that's the way he was leaning anyway...

Im confused, there was alot of talk that The Who (what is left of them) were trying to record another cd but Townsend's ear problems came back. Supposedly Pete is in the studio now when the problems started. Neal Young recommended some new ear monitors to help.

Maybe this article (if accurate) insinuates that Pete is done? I hope not.

I'd be interested in hearing how Page and Daltrey would sound together but Roger isn't known for writing anything, so I don't know how anything new could develop.

I am rather perplexed Roger states he would like to do an album singing the blues with Jimmy.

No where does he say he wants to sing Led Zeppelin songs yet that is some of the responses being made here. May I ask why?

It's like the whole Nigel Kennedy thing JP, JPJ and JB wanted to put a group together yet it was twisted into Nigel would sing for Led Zeppelin. :slapface:

People say they want artists to move forward but when they try all they get is flack for trying to move on and being told they are trying to redo old material and it won't work.

Until Roger or Jimmy says this is a Led Zeppelin project, which doesn't seem likely since all the other guys are doing other projects I would believe it is just what Roger states a wish to do a blues album with Jimmy not other group's music including Led Zeppelin!!

I am rather perplexed Roger states he would like to do an album singing the blues with Jimmy.

No where does he say he wants to sing Led Zeppelin songs yet that is some of the responses being made here. May I ask why?

It's like the whole Nigel Kennedy thing JP, JPJ and JB wanted to put a group together yet it was twisted into Nigel would sing for Led Zeppelin. :slapface:

People say they want artists to move forward but when they try all they get is flack for trying to move on and being told they are trying to redo old material and it won't work.

Until Roger or Jimmy says this is a Led Zeppelin project, which doesn't seem likely since all the other guys are doing other projects I would believe it is just what Roger states a wish to do a blues album with Jimmy not other group's music including Led Zeppelin!!

I am all for Jimmy moving forward, however, I also know that since Outrider in 1988, Jimmy has played past songs in every band he's been with, including the Outrider band, the Coverdale/Page project, the Page/Plant union and the Black Crowes. As well as playing Whole Lotta Love at the Olympics and playing through a vast number of Zep songs in It Might Get Loud.

So... that said, I don't really see Jimmy forming a new band with Daltrey and not including some Zeppelin songs. I didn't say it would be a Led-Zeppelin project and I don't believe anyone else did either. But it would be rather remiss to think Jimmy would do something w/ Daltrey like an album and not play Zeppelin songs if they toured.

I am not giving Jimmy flack for anything because one, I admire him too much and two, he hasn't responded to this yet. I remember the crap he caught in 1991 when news broke that he was working w/ David Coverdale. I supported him and stood by him then and the reward was a great album. I simply stated that IF they worked together I would find it difficult to see Daltrey performing past Page compositions. We all know Pagey wants to tour... he has said as much, and I feel that if and when he does tour he will play Led-Zeppelin songs. Clarified enough for you?

Daltrey and Page? Well why the hell not? If that means no LZ songs, then as regrettable as that is, it's still better than no tour or album from Jimmy at all. I actually think it would be a rather interesting collaboration, and who knows, maybe Roger could have a go at some LZ material after all.

You are confusing Nigel Kennedy with Myles Kennedy I guess? :unsure:

Ha ha your right whoops wrong person.

Yes I think it's clarified DR. Death never had a problem interpreting the article pretty clear it's about Roger wanting to do a blues album with Jimmy or needed it spelled out either! :rolleyes:

Again who knows what if anything will even happen or what would or would not be played but I think it is a compliment to Jimmy that Roger has that on his wish list! :D

I for one loath this idea. Daltery has proved to me in recent performances he's done, vocally. His pitch is gone, he's either flat or just too weak to really put any emotion into anything that isn't spoken. I love The Who but it's time to hang it up sir.

Ditto.

Why would Jimmy Page want to work with a guy who can't sing for shit? I luv ya' Roger, but Page is way out of your league, dude. He must be trying to piss off Townshend or something.

Is there a new league where one just takes pictures with a guitar and never plays it? If there is then yeah, Jimmy is the #1 man in that league.

Is there a new league where one just takes pictures with a guitar and never plays it? If there is then yeah, Jimmy is the #1 man in that league.

I'd rather look at a picture of Page with his guitar than listen to Roger Daltrey attempt to sing, nuff' said.

I think it's called Mid Life Rocker's Crisis...hang on, they're all past the midpoint aren't they...What's he got to lose anyway?

Let's see - who's next? Mick Jagger with Eddie Van Halen? Ozzy with Eric Clapton? Rod Stewart with Guns n Roses?

They all started as blues singers - very true - except maybe Ozzy.

PS I don't see Robert hooking up with Pete Townshend anytime soon!!

Archived