Oil rig sinks in the Gulf of Mexico

ally

That would be nice we shall see . We have a visit from MMS early next week and so it begins we just had a inspection a few months ago but I figure due to the BP issue we will be getting them way more frequently. The only thing bad is it makes it harder to keep up your day to day work when you have to prep for inspections but we will get it done we always do.

Shouldn't your "day to day work" include constant upkeep of conditions and readiness to where even a surprise inspection would show to the moment compliance? If things are in disarray or whatever and you have to spend much time preparing for scheduled scrutiny doesn't that show that you're not running a tight ship?

Looking good for the inspectors is just for show. I'd sure have my ship in shipshape constantly so these type of man controllable disasters don't occur.

Shouldn't your "day to day work" include constant upkeep of conditions and readiness to where even a surprise inspection would show to the moment compliance? If things are in disarray or whatever and you have to spend much time preparing for scheduled scrutiny doesn't that show that you're not running a tight ship?

Looking good for the inspectors is just for show. I'd sure have my ship in shipshape constantly so these type of man controllable disasters don't occur.

Well We have a huge platform with a small crew to keep up with it and we do the best we can what kind of ship do you have and what is the size of your crew.I spent 20 years in the U.S Navy but we had a large crew at all times to do the work and usually our equipment was painted and our brass shined but we have had one MMS inc in the last 11 years and 0 coast guard inc,s .I sometimes wish we could shut down the Drilling and wait and see just how long before the public decides they like peddeling thier bikes around as the oil is where the gas comes from.What do You know about Compliance anyway ?????Now I remmeber why I quit comming to this sight there are way to many know it alls

Hi al,

Well We have a huge platform with a small crew to keep up with it and we do the best we can what kind of ship do you have and what is the size of your crew.I spent 20 years in the U.S Navy but we had a large crew at all times to do the work and usually our equipment was painted and our brass shined but we have had one MMS inc in the last 11 years and 0 coast guard inc,s .I sometimes wish we could shut down the Drilling and wait and see just how long before the public decides they like peddeling thier bikes around as the oil is where the gas comes from.What do You know about Compliance anyway ?????Now I remmeber why I quit comming to this sight there are way to many know it alls

Don't stop.At least we have someone who knows!

KB

Hi all,

Thanks

Don't thank me! :slapface:

There are too many people on this board and the -old- board that I respect,and not just in LedZep lore but as real friends.Who know their s*** :) Good to hear from you Bro.Add one Ally! :thumbsup:

KB(dim bulb?,Yup)

At least I know that compliance means "at the ready". I should think that an operation of any size should maintain that standard. If you site the lack of personel to keep that compliance at all times then it's a problem maybe the staffing dept. should address.

Is that not reasonable considering the acuteness of the operation of an oil rig? One doesn't have to "know it all" to realize this should be the status quo.

I understand that you have a certain pride and will defend your job and duties and those who'd assign the job of maintenance should have an equal stake in preparing and keeping up with operations.

So, what do YOU know about compliance? Is there something with my simple analysis that's wrong? Can a huge corporation that is an OIL COMPANY not have enough staff to keep the rig shipshape?

Something on that rig that blew up was overlooked. Was there no way of seeing that a bubble of methane could do what it apparently did and couldn't that have been avoided? Of course this isn't personal, it'll be investigated and conclusions will be drawn. Do you think that will show an unavoidable situation? I think not, but maybe you'll have a different view if you can keep it away from your "pride".

Yes, everyone is dependent on gasoline/oil to some degree. Also I believe EVERYONE has an interest and stake in the discovery of the "Why's" and shortcomings and prevention techniques to avert this type of catastrophe again.

Even if it was a failed alarm that doesn't dismiss the cause of the bubble appearing. I would hope a spokesman for BP WILL offer a comment (explanation) in time. Why not NOW if they know?

I'm going to guess it's a prevention issue and I think the government is stalling further drilling till we find out and can comply with measures that will attain that objective.

Rig explosion blamed on methane bubble

STEVEN MUFSON AND MARK KAUFMAN

May 10, 2010

A BUBBLE of methane that forced its way up from beneath the ocean floor caused last month's oil rig explosion in the Gulf of Mexico, according to workers who survived the blast.

The gas shot up the drill column, expanding rapidly as it rose, and burst through a series of seals and barriers before exploding, triggering an even larger blast when the oil that gushed up behind it ignited.

The fullest account so far of events surrounding the blast on April 20 - which killed 11 workers and has led to more than 11.4 million litres of crude oil pouring into the sea - has emerged from an internal investigation into the accident by BP, the oil company that leased and operated the rig.

There were claims that the alarm system designed to warn of an imminent explosion failed to sound.

The chain reaction behind what is feared will be the worst oil spill in history was revealed by Robert Bea, an engineering professor at the University of California, Berkeley, who was a risk-assessment consultant for BP in the 1990s. Professor Bea was given documents and a tape from the BP inquiry by others within the oil industry.

According to the account he has pieced together, a group of BP executives were on board the Deepwater Horizon rig celebrating the project's safety record while, far below, the exploration well was being converted for oil production.

The workers set, then tested a cement seal at the bottom of the well, but as they reduced the pressure in the drill column and tried to set a second seal below the sea floor a chemical reaction caused by the setting cement created heat. That heat converted a pocket of methane crystals into a bubble of compressed gas that grew as it rose up the drill column.

Within moments, workers on the surface saw seawater in the drill column rocketing 75 metres into the air before gas, then oil surfaced. The gas flooded into a room with exposed ignition sources, Professor Bea said, causing the first explosion, and others followed.

The rig's owner, Transocean, declined to speculate on whether the alarms sounded, and a BP spokesman refused to comment on what caused the accident.

BP's effort to contain the leak ran into technical obstacles on Friday, when the company's best hope for quickly stemming the flow of oil, a containment box designed to funnel oil into barges on the water's surface, became clogged with ice-like crystals.

Yes, everyone is dependent on gasoline/oil to some degree. Also I believe EVERYONE has an interest and stake in the discovery of the "Why's" and shortcomings and prevention techniques to avert this type of catastrophe again.

Even if it was a failed alarm that doesn't dismiss the cause of the bubble appearing. I would hope a spokesman for BP WILL offer a comment (explanation) in time. Why not NOW if they know?

I'm going to guess it's a prevention issue and I think the government is stalling further drilling till we find out and can comply with measures that will attain that objective.

Rig explosion blamed on methane bubble

STEVEN MUFSON AND MARK KAUFMAN

May 10, 2010

A BUBBLE of methane that forced its way up from beneath the ocean floor caused last month's oil rig explosion in the Gulf of Mexico, according to workers who survived the blast.

The gas shot up the drill column, expanding rapidly as it rose, and burst through a series of seals and barriers before exploding, triggering an even larger blast when the oil that gushed up behind it ignited.

The fullest account so far of events surrounding the blast on April 20 - which killed 11 workers and has led to more than 11.4 million litres of crude oil pouring into the sea - has emerged from an internal investigation into the accident by BP, the oil company that leased and operated the rig.

There were claims that the alarm system designed to warn of an imminent explosion failed to sound.

The chain reaction behind what is feared will be the worst oil spill in history was revealed by Robert Bea, an engineering professor at the University of California, Berkeley, who was a risk-assessment consultant for BP in the 1990s. Professor Bea was given documents and a tape from the BP inquiry by others within the oil industry.

According to the account he has pieced together, a group of BP executives were on board the Deepwater Horizon rig celebrating the project's safety record while, far below, the exploration well was being converted for oil production.

The workers set, then tested a cement seal at the bottom of the well, but as they reduced the pressure in the drill column and tried to set a second seal below the sea floor a chemical reaction caused by the setting cement created heat. That heat converted a pocket of methane crystals into a bubble of compressed gas that grew as it rose up the drill column.

Within moments, workers on the surface saw seawater in the drill column rocketing 75 metres into the air before gas, then oil surfaced. The gas flooded into a room with exposed ignition sources, Professor Bea said, causing the first explosion, and others followed.

The rig's owner, Transocean, declined to speculate on whether the alarms sounded, and a BP spokesman refused to comment on what caused the accident.

BP's effort to contain the leak ran into technical obstacles on Friday, when the company's best hope for quickly stemming the flow of oil, a containment box designed to funnel oil into barges on the water's surface, became clogged with ice-like crystals.

All the investigating in the world will not make it go away no one on that platform wanted a explosion but in order for you to have gas for your car and plastics and even cosmetics the oil must flow and everyone that is willing to take the risk and has what it takes to be a Oil Man as you are away from home working with High Pressure ,High and in some cases extremley low tempetures and everything around You is flammable and You are surrounded by water as we are about 150 miles off the coast we get to work by helicopter.I am not excusing anything that happened but there are thousands upon thousands of wells in the Gulf and one had a failure so the world says stop drilling and go back to the horse and buggy days well I do not believe that is the answer. If we stopped everytime there was a problem well we would not have anything we have today we work on it make it better and keep on going forward not backward.There have been a few other major oil rig blowouts in the past and they were investigated and we moved on we will get past this one and we will not go back to the stone age because of it .We actually have a few more saftey devices on our wells as they are completed wells.The Wells they were drilling were exploritory wells so they did not have a SCSSV installed below the mud line to prevent what happened .The only Safties They had Avilable was a BOP with a Deadman feature and it appears to have failed. I did not know any one on the platform but some of my friends did and they were good men who worked hard and believe it or not cared about the enviorment and this Country like most People do.As for Manpower anyone who works anywhere knows that companies all operate to make money most of them have just the amount of perrosnel they feel that it takes to get the job done I have never worked anywhere except the U.S. Navy thta really had enough help and the Oilfield is no exception but we all do what we can do we work long hours so we can take care of our family's and as a by product we supply a product that this country has to have to keep rolling along if you do not think the oil and gas are needed quit using everything made with it and you may change your mind.If You really believe You will be able to get all those items from overseas and keep the country going that way I believe you will find You are sadley mistaken.

Products Made From Oil

Here is a few you can stop using

Clothing Ink

Heart Valves

Crayons

Parachutes

Telephones

Enamel

Transparent tape

Antiseptics

Vacuum bottles

Deodorant

Pantyhose

Rubbing Alcohol

Carpets

Epoxy paint

Oil filters

Upholstery

Hearing Aids

Car sound insulation

Cassettes

Motorcycle helmets

Pillows

Shower doors

Shoes

Refrigerator linings

Electrical tape

Safety glass

Awnings

Salad bowl

Rubber cement

Nylon rope

Ice buckets

Fertilizers

Hair coloring

Toilet seats

Denture adhesive

Loudspeakers

Movie film

Fishing boots

Candles

Water pipes

Car enamel

Shower curtains

Credit cards

Aspirin

Golf balls

Detergents

Sunglasses

Glue

Fishing rods

Linoleum

Plastic wood

Soft contact lenses

Trash bags

Hand lotion

Shampoo

Shaving cream

Footballs

Paint brushes

Balloons

Fan belts

Umbrellas

Paint Rollers

Luggage

Antifreeze

Model cars

Floor wax

Sports car bodies

Tires

Dishwashing liquids

Unbreakable dishes

Toothbrushes

Toothpaste

Combs

Tents

Hair curlers

Lipstick

Ice cube trays

Electric blankets

Tennis rackets

Drinking cups

House paint

Rollerskates wheels

Guitar strings

Ammonia

Eyeglasses

Ice chests

Life jackets

TV cabinets

Car battery cases

Insect repellent

Refrigerants

Typewriter ribbons

Cold cream

Glycerin

Plywood adhesive

Cameras

Anesthetics

Artificial turf

Artificial Limbs

Bandages

Dentures

Mops

Beach Umbrellas

Ballpoint pens

Boats

Nail polish

Golf bags

Caulking

Tape recorders

Curtains

Vitamin capsules

Dashboards

Putty

Percolators

Skis

Insecticides

Fishing lures

Perfumes

Shoe polish

Petroleum jelly

Faucet washers

Food preservatives

Antihistamines

Cortisone

Dyes

LP records

Solvents

Roofing

Fifty Things Made From Oil Petrol for cars Diesel for cars, lorries and ships Aviation fuel for planes Credit cards Plastic bags

Hair brushes Anti-freeze Motorcycle Helmets Carpets Telephones

Brake fluid Boats Glue Toilet Seats Shampoo

Household paint Detergent Bowls Fertiliser Explosives

Car tyres Artificial turf Football boots Lipstick Weed killer

Parachutes Umbrellas Food wrappers Shower curtains Waterproof coats

Artifical limbs Roads Bubble wrap Drinks bottles Toothbrushes

Life jackets Fishing line Tennis rackets Roller blades Eye glasses

Lunch boxes Flower pots Toys Car seats Insulation

Nail polish Hair spray Medicines Insect repellant Golf balls

From a different source

Hi all,

Don't thank me! slapface.gif

There are too many people on this board and the -old- board that I respect,and not just in LedZep lore but as real friends.Who know their s*** smile.gif Good to hear from you Bro.Add one Ally! thumbsup.gif

KB(dim bulb?,Yup)

Already done bro.

Al,

I'm sorry you've had to put up with the scrutiny. I started this thread because of the shared concerns of your friends who were sincerely worried about your well being after the accident . We're glad that your safe and we're alway's happy to see you around here ! beer.gif

Products Made From Oil

Here is a few you can stop using

Clothing Ink

Heart Valves

Crayons

Parachutes

Telephones

Enamel

Transparent tape

Antiseptics

Vacuum bottles

Deodorant

Pantyhose

Rubbing Alcohol

Carpets

Epoxy paint

Oil filters

Upholstery

Hearing Aids

Car sound insulation

Cassettes

Motorcycle helmets

Pillows

Shower doors

Shoes

Refrigerator linings

Electrical tape

Safety glass

Awnings

Salad bowl

Rubber cement

Nylon rope

Ice buckets

Fertilizers

Hair coloring

Toilet seats

Denture adhesive

Loudspeakers

Movie film

Fishing boots

Candles

Water pipes

Car enamel

Shower curtains

Credit cards

Aspirin

Golf balls

Detergents

Sunglasses

Glue

Fishing rods

Linoleum

Plastic wood

Soft contact lenses

Trash bags

Hand lotion

Shampoo

Shaving cream

Footballs

Paint brushes

Balloons

Fan belts

Umbrellas

Paint Rollers

Luggage

Antifreeze

Model cars

Floor wax

Sports car bodies

Tires

Dishwashing liquids

Unbreakable dishes

Toothbrushes

Toothpaste

Combs

Tents

Hair curlers

Lipstick

Ice cube trays

Electric blankets

Tennis rackets

Drinking cups

House paint

Rollerskates wheels

Guitar strings

Ammonia

Eyeglasses

Ice chests

Life jackets

TV cabinets

Car battery cases

Insect repellent

Refrigerants

Typewriter ribbons

Cold cream

Glycerin

Plywood adhesive

Cameras

Anesthetics

Artificial turf

Artificial Limbs

Bandages

Dentures

Mops

Beach Umbrellas

Ballpoint pens

Boats

Nail polish

Golf bags

Caulking

Tape recorders

Curtains

Vitamin capsules

Dashboards

Putty

Percolators

Skis

Insecticides

Fishing lures

Perfumes

Shoe polish

Petroleum jelly

Faucet washers

Food preservatives

Antihistamines

Cortisone

Dyes

LP records

Solvents

Roofing

Schindler's other list!! :)

Glad you're ok young man. I like the pics and I do miss riding. I was thinking of getting a new Moto-Guzzi when I start getting Soc. Sec. on top of my pension. I like the V7 Classic.

gallery_v7_classic_5.jpg

Hey Al good to see you around, I haven't been around much myself lately.

Back in the late 70's and early80's I myself worked as a contractor on many

offshore platforms and I can say that safety was the number one priority on

all of the rigs I worked on and that Chevron and ARCO had the cleanest nicest

safest equipment of any of the companies I contracted with and I'm confident that

those practices haven't changed.

All of the safety practices were industry standard and I wouldn't expect that to have changed

unless there were improvements.

Like the man said no one goes to work in the middle of the gulf wanting to get blasted into the sea.

My condolences to those men and their famlies that have to go on without their loved ones.

Al,

I'm sorry you've had to put up with the scrutiny.

Yeah, it's a good thing he's not an Oil Exec! I don't buy the "ends justify the means" sort of reply. Just because society demands the products produced from oil doesn't give the companies a free ride to just point fingers like they're doing. The buck is going to have to stop somewhere and changes made. A gradual change (instituted PROMPTLY !!) of oil being such a crux in all these manufactured items. Not to mention the energy angle.

Time to slow it all down. wink.gif

Execs grilled on oil spill 'cascade of failures'

By H. JOSEF HEBERT, Associated Press Writer H. Josef Hebert, Associated Press Writer – 1 hr 4 mins agoWASHINGTON – Congress called BP and its drilling partners to account Tuesday for a "cascade of failures" behind the spreading Gulf oil spill, zeroing in on a crucial chain of events at the deep-sea wellhead just before an explosion consumed the rig and set off the catastrophic rupture.

In back-to-back Senate inquiries, lawmakers chastised executives of the three companies at the heart of the massive spill over attempts to shift the blame to each other. And they were asked to explain why better preparations had not been made to head off the accident.

"Let me be really clear," Lamar McKay, chairman of BP America, told the hearing. "Liability, blame, fault — put it over here." He said: "Our obligation is to deal with the spill, clean it up and make sure the impacts of that spill are compensated, and we're going to do that."

By "over here," McKay meant the witness table at which BP, Transocean and Halliburton executives sat shoulder to shoulder. And despite his acknowledgment of responsibility, each company defended its own operations and raised questions about its partners in the project gone awry.

Lawmakers compared the calamity to some of history's most notorious mishaps from sea to space in the first congressional inquiry into the April 20 explosion and so-far unstoppable spill. In the crowded hearing room, eight young activists sat in quiet protest, with black T-shirts saying, "Energy Shouldn't Cost Lives." Several wore black painted spots near their eyes to symbolize tear drops made from oil.

Said Sen. Jeff Bingaman, D-N.M., chairman of the Energy and Natural Resources Committee, "If this is like other catastrophic failures of technological systems in modern history, whether it was the sinking of the Titanic, Three Mile Island, or the loss of the Challenger, we will likely discover that there was a cascade of failures and technical and human and regulatory errors."

The corporate finger pointing prompted an admonishment from Republican Sen. Lisa Murkowski of oil-rich Alaska that "we are all in this together" in trying to shut off the oil and find a safer way to exploit vital energy.

"This accident has reminded us of a cold reality, that the production of energy will never be without risk or environmental consequence," she said. Still, she said, "there will be no excuse" if operators are found to have violated the law.

Failure to plug the leak was intensifying impatience, from the contaminated Gulf waters to the White House.

"The president is frustrated with everything, the president is frustrated with everybody, in the sense that we still have an oil leak," said spokesman Robert Gibbs. "That includes us, that includes everybody that's involved with this."

A BP spokesman told The Associated Press an oil containment box known as a "top hat" was being brought to the site and undersea robots would position it over the gusher by Thursday. The new device is much smaller than one that failed over the weekend.

Ramifications from the environmental crisis spilled over into landmark climate change and energy legislation that is coming out Wednesday. The bill from Sens. John Kerry and Joe Lieberman proposes letting coastal states veto drilling projects off the shores of neighboring states if they can show the potential for harm.

The impact is being felt in the realm of regulation, too. Interior Secretary Ken Salazar proposed splitting his department's Minerals Management Service in two to make safety enforcement independent of the service's other main function — collecting billions in royalties from the drilling industry.

Senators sought assurances that BP PLC will pay what could amount to billions of dollars in economic and environmental damages. McKay repeatedly said his company would pay for cleanup costs and all "legitimate" claims for damages, and not try to limit itself to an existing federal limit of $75 million on such damages.

BP was the exploratory well's owner and overall operator, Transocean the rig's owner and Halliburton a subcontractor that was encasing the well pipe in cement before plugging it in anticipation of future production.

The explosion is thought to have begun with a surge of methane gas from deep within the well, and while the cause is still under early investigation, the testimony Tuesday provided some insight into what might have been involved.

Republican Sen. Jeff Sessions of Alabama grew frustrated grilling the executives on why engineers replaced a heavy "mud" compound in the well with much lighter sea water — thereby reducing downward pressure on the oil — when they were temporarily capping the site for future exploitation. He quoted an oil rig worker saying, "That's when the well came at us, basically."

"I'm not familiar with the individual procedure on that well," BP's McKay said.

Steven Newman, Transocean's president and CEO, and Halliburton executive Tim Probert repeatedly told Sessions they did not know how often sea water instead of the compound was used to seal Gulf wells.

"Well, you do this business, do you not?" the senator demanded. "You're under oath. I'm just asking you a simple question."

New Jersey Democrat Frank Lautenberg remarked in the day's other hearing: "The conclusion that I draw is that nobody assumes the responsibility."

McKay said that a key piece of safety equipment, the aptly named blowout preventer, had failed to work and made it clear it was owned by Transocean. "That was the fail safe in case of an accident," said McKay.

But Transocean's Newman said offshore production projects "begin and end with the operator, in this case BP" and that his company's drilling job was completed three days before the explosion and there's "no reason to believe" the blowout protector mechanics failed.

And Newman wanted senators to know Halliburton was in the process of pouring cement into the pipe to plug it but the final well cap had not yet been put in place. Halliburton's Probert said his company followed BP's drilling plan, federal regulations and industry practices.

Al, new to this site, but not new to the oil industry and I want to thank you for the sacrifice you make and for your pride in your job and the industry. And . . . .

I just have to tell that moron, oh, excuse me know-it-all, Oracle to just ---- shut the fuck up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He's such a fucking rocket scientist, he can copy and paste all these articles that make him look smart, why doesn't he come up with an alternative to oil so we don't have to use it in almost every product out there not to mention as the source that powers the world?

Oracle did you even read anything that Al was trying to explain to you? Or, are you too dense to grasp that even though this was a tragic accident, it's been 30 years since we've had an off-shore oil spill of this magnitude. That's 30 years out of how many wells drilled in those 30 years? Right now there are thousands of rigs in the Gulf, each without an incident. You're so smart, you do the math.

Let's just say we shut down the entire drilling industry. Do you realize how many men and women will loose their jobs? Everyone from the galley hands to the company man, to the helicopter pilots who ferry personnel, to the catering companies that supply food to the rigs, to the crew boat captains that operate the boats bringing supplies to the rigs, to the service companies that produce the technical products that the rigs use to get the job done. Do you realize how many companies with their hundreds of employees it takes to operate these rigs? There are hundreds of thousands of people who depend on the drilling industry for their livelihood. There are people in the field, people in offices from the secretary to the executive, people who support the function of the daily goings on of the rig. Maybe we should just shut down this massive sector of our economy because there has been one accident in 30 years??????

You know what, every time a plane crashes, let's just shut down the airline industry until they find out what went wrong? In a plane crash more people loose their lives than were lost on that rig. That is the real tragedy. There are 11 families out there without a husband and father. Oh, but I guess the loss of life is not really your concern for shutting down drilling, it's the enviromental impact. Got it.

I don't even know why I'm bothering trying to explain anything to someone with such a my-optic view of the world.

Sure,

HEMP!!! biggrin.gif

*just google hemp products to find many of those items HeilWizard listed. ( and gosh, just think how many people would be out of a job if there were no more wars!! We can't have that though, now can we? )

Parts of the Plant

The list is seemingly endless for products that can be made from hemp. To date, there are over 50,000 product ideas. To give you an idea, review the following list

• Roots: Medicinal extracts and preparations. As an ecological benefit, the deep taproot breaks up soil, suppresses weeds, and adds organic mass.
  • Stalk: Bast (long outer fibers), hurds (short inner fibers), and woody fibers which can be made into anything from jewelry, weaving, knotting, carving, beads, pipestems, paper, building materials, animal bedding, cellulose plastics, methanol, clothing, rope, to much more.
  • Leaves: Green manure, pigments, animal bedding, and compost.
  • Flowers (low THC): Natural insect repellent, aromatherapy, topical medicinal applications, essential oils, fragrances, sunscreens, flavorings, food.
  • Seeds: Oil, protein, flour, bird seed, body care products, pharmaceuticals, industrial lubricants, diesel fuel, and much more. A whole line of food products are being developed.

Basic Materials
Six basic materials are derived from the hemp plant: long bast fiber, medium fiber, short core fiber, seeds, oil, and seed meal.

• Long fiber (from the bast)
    • has long strands that are superior to cotton and very desirable for textiles.
    • has antimildew and antimicrobial properties that are particularly useful for sails, tarps, awnings, and carpets.
    • is biodegradeable and an environmentally sound substitute for fiberglass.

[*]Medium fiber

• has low lignin (resinous plant glue) levels that make it ideal for paper and nonwoven applications.
    • shares the bast fiber's antimildew and antimicrobial properties, making it well-suited for medical applications and such hygiene products as diapers and sanitary napkins.
  • Short core fiber (from the hurds)
    • is up to twice as absorbent as wood shavings, making it an excellent choice for packaging and animal bedding.
    • serves as a direct, often sturdier replacement for wood in construction materials.
    • blends easily with lime to create a strong yet lightweight concrete or plaster.
    • is biodegradable and serves as an environmentally sound material for use in manufacturing plastics.

[*]Seeds

• are a highly nutritious protein source which is better tasting and more digestible than soybeans.
    • equals the soybean's versatility and can be processed into milk, cheese, ice cream, and butters
    • is a favoured birdseed.
  • Seed oil
    • has the highest volume among the edible oils, of essential fatty acids and in the optimal proportions required by the human body.
    • tastes better and has a longer shelf life than flax oil.
    • has antimildew and antimicrobial properties that make an ideal base for personal care items.
    • blends easily with other substances to produce lubricants, paints, and printing inks.

[*]Seed meal

• supplies high protein and nourishment in food for people and animals.
    • serves as a mild digestive bulking agent.
    • can be blended with other grains into flours for baking.

Specific Products and Their Benefits

This list is really endless, with over 50,000 possibilities; but the following will give an example of the broad base potential that this plant has.

• Animal feed Until about 1948, the main use of hemp seed in the US was in feed for dairy and beef cattle. In 1960, 13% of the Staphylococci infections were penicillin-resistant; and, by 1988, that figure had risen to 91%. Today, these figures in both animals and humans are staggering. More than half of the antibiotics used is the US are routinely fed to livestock as a preventative measure to offset their crowded and unhealthy living conditions. Consequently, the "good" bacteria that help with digestion and fending off pathogens are also eliminated. Meat and pharmaceutical industries support this practice, but the European community now forbids it. Feeding hemp seeds to livestock is an excellent way to support the immune systems of animals while bolstering their weight and improving the quality of their meat.

A bolus of hemp flowers, sugar, and grain has been fed to livestock to treat colic, constipation, diarrhea, worms, and rinderpest (a form of diphtheria). When hemp seed is fed to poultry on a regular basis, the birds do not go "off feed" nor do they require hormones to fatten them up, and egg production increases. Hemp seed meal has an effect analogous to that of grit in chickens' diets, keeping their gizzard linings free of corrugations and erosions.

Bee keepers use hemp as a pollen insulator since no other plant is so efficient as a hedge against the infiltration of unwanted pollen that drifts in the air. Hemp plants also provide valuable pollen and produce the most pollen of any plant.
  • Body care products -- The critical importance of EFAs (essential fatty acids) for healthy skin makes hemp seed oil a highly effective skin care and cosmetic product. Its lipid constituents allow it to permeate through intact skin and thereby nourish skin cells directly. Consequently, these therapeutic properties have led to a multitude of soaps, shampoos, skin lotions, lip balms, conditioners, and other skin-care products containing hemp seed oil. For the hair, hemp oil improves shine, as well as being able to relieve a dry scalp.
  • Building products -- The benefits of using hemp-based composites in construction materials rather than wood include better resistance to fire, fungi, rodents, termites, and other pests. This use would also stimulate local economies and improve agricultural sustainability. When properly retted and stacked, hemp can be stored for many years without significant deterioration, thereby allowing the producer to take advantage of fluctuating markets.
  • Diapers -- Hemp makes the best diapers. Because they are reusable, they will not be added to landfills. Not only that, but they are also far more absorbent than cotton and just as soft.
  • Fabrics -- Cotton is one of the most destructive crops in existence, using half the pesticides in agriculture. Even organic cotton requires extremely heavy irrigation. Hemp, on the other hand, can be grown organically and sustainably. It can also be made into attractive and stylish clothing. Hemp fibers are stronger than cotton and similar to linen or raw silk.
  • Fewer wars -- Although this is a stretch, one can dream that there would be fewer wars, particularly ones that now start over non-renewable supremacy. Possibly, such wars as the Gulf War might never have happened.
  • Fiberboard -- Hemp fiberboard is a viable alternative to the composite board made from processed wood chips and resins. Wood chip fiberboard is notoriously weak; but using the long bast fibers of hemp makes a much stronger product with a wider range of applications. It is also more fireproof and insect resistant. MDF (Medium Dense Fiber) is a cellulose composite made comparable to the strength found in trees. Hemp fiberboard has proven to be 250% stronger than wood MDF composite board and 300% more elastic. Therefore, it should not be necessary to take a 200 to 500 year-old tree to make a house that lasts only 50 years. Instead, hemp, which takes only about 100 to 150 DAYS to grow, can make the same house that lasts the same length of time.
  • Fiberglass -- Just as hemp fiber can replace fiberglass in cars, boats, and ther vehicles, it also makes a perfect substitute for such other fiberglass materials as insulation. Hemp hurds, treated with a fire retardant, can then be blown into the space between walls and provide the needed protection without the lung or skin irritation associated with fiberglass insulation.
  • Hempahol -- Corn is not the only plant that can be used to make ethanol; and per acre, hemp is a more prolific producer than corn. Unlike gasoline, ethanol does not produce any of the sulfur or other air pollution responsible for acid rain and various diseases.
  • Housing - A company in France has patented a concrete substitute made by calcifying hemp stalks into a solid mass. The resulting material is called Isochanvre, as is the company name. Isochanvre is as strong as concrete but weighs only 1/7th as much. It is also more flexible and a much better insulator, making it better able to withstand natural disasters. The company has already built hundreds of these all-natural houses in Europe and was the first to do so in Canada. Such building materials would significantly lessen the impact of taking from the environment without replenishing it.
  • Natural herbacide - While herbacides do keep weeds down, they also poison the ground with their chemical components. This eventually reaches into the food supply. Herbacides also produce mutants which become stronger and more resistant to chemicals. Capable of growing six feet in two weeks, thickly sown hemp crops simply choke out weeds, cutting them off from sunlight and nutrients. Rotating hemp crops will keep the soil in prime shape for whatever cash crop is to follow.
  • No oil spills -- This point is so obvious that it is often overlooked hemp does not cause oil spills. Consequently, no wildlife can be harmed or ecosystems destroyed.
  • Paper The world's first source of paper was made from hemp; and 2000-year old pieces of hemp paper have stood the test of time, a feat far beyond the capabilities of wood pulp paper. If wood pulp had been the source of paper, we likely would not have the recorded history. Until the development of acid-free paper, wood pulp paper disintegrated in just over a century. Hemp paper is stronger than wood pulp paper, naturally pliable, and partially water-resistant. Half of the trees cut down today are used to make paper which ultimately ends up in landfills a short time later.
  • Plastic Because plastic is made from non-renewable resources, searching for an alternative is crucial and began in earnest in the 1970s when an oil crises drove up the price of petrochemicals a practice that has been retained to this day. As governments struggle to find ways to reduce global warming and consumers continue to demand alternatives, the hemp plant is becoming an increasingly valuable alternative to the petro-chemical based industries, which are high energy users and contribute greatly to rising CO2 levels. Renewable bio-resource based products are low-energy consumers and CO2-neutral. Hemp fibers are tough and durable, and adding them enables the reduction of the amount of plastic required without loss of performance. (See more at Hemp Plastic.)
  • Prevent erosion The following is but one example where hemp could help to hold topsoil in place. Massive deforestation on the slopes of the Himalayas (hemp's original home) is rapidly turning the area into a barren moonscape. Forested areas that previously lost only 0.3 tons of soil per hectare each year now lose as much as 90 tons in the same space after being clearcut. At that rate, nothing more than rock will remain. The soil washes downstream, clogging rivers and killing aquatic life, eventually sweeping into the sea by the Ganges and other rivers. Former vice-president Al Gore said, "These mountain lands, which boast some of the most spectacular natural beauty on earth, are now being devastated to briefly quench the needs of a single generation." Hemp grows abundantly in the Himalayas, if given the chance, and could cover these scarred areas, holding topsoil while providing an income for the region's people.
  • Shower curtains -- One of the many plastic products that release toxic gasses when heated is the shower curtain -- and shower curtains tend to be heated a lot. Rather than being trapped in a small confined space and gassed by shower curtains, home-owners are now able to buy attractive, long-lasting, naturally mildew-resistant shower curtains made from hemp.
  • Soap Making soap is a relatively simple process using a fat (acid) and some ash (alkali) to neutralise the fatty acids in the fat, which forms a soap. Here is a site that shows you how to make hemp soap: GoPlanet Earth.

Yeah, it's a good thing he's not an Oil Exec! I don't buy the "ends justify the means" sort of reply. Just because society demands the products produced from oil doesn't give the companies a free ride to just point fingers like they're doing. The buck is going to have to stop somewhere and changes made. A gradual change (instituted PROMPTLY !!) of oil being such a crux in all these manufactured items. Not to mention the energy angle.

Time to slow it all down. wink.gif

Execs grilled on oil spill 'cascade of failures'

By H. JOSEF HEBERT, Associated Press Writer H. Josef Hebert, Associated Press Writer – 1 hr 4 mins agoWASHINGTON – Congress called BP and its drilling partners to account Tuesday for a "cascade of failures" behind the spreading Gulf oil spill, zeroing in on a crucial chain of events at the deep-sea wellhead just before an explosion consumed the rig and set off the catastrophic rupture.

In back-to-back Senate inquiries, lawmakers chastised executives of the three companies at the heart of the massive spill over attempts to shift the blame to each other. And they were asked to explain why better preparations had not been made to head off the accident.

"Let me be really clear," Lamar McKay, chairman of BP America, told the hearing. "Liability, blame, fault — put it over here." He said: "Our obligation is to deal with the spill, clean it up and make sure the impacts of that spill are compensated, and we're going to do that."

By "over here," McKay meant the witness table at which BP, Transocean and Halliburton executives sat shoulder to shoulder. And despite his acknowledgment of responsibility, each company defended its own operations and raised questions about its partners in the project gone awry.

Lawmakers compared the calamity to some of history's most notorious mishaps from sea to space in the first congressional inquiry into the April 20 explosion and so-far unstoppable spill. In the crowded hearing room, eight young activists sat in quiet protest, with black T-shirts saying, "Energy Shouldn't Cost Lives." Several wore black painted spots near their eyes to symbolize tear drops made from oil.

Said Sen. Jeff Bingaman, D-N.M., chairman of the Energy and Natural Resources Committee, "If this is like other catastrophic failures of technological systems in modern history, whether it was the sinking of the Titanic, Three Mile Island, or the loss of the Challenger, we will likely discover that there was a cascade of failures and technical and human and regulatory errors."

The corporate finger pointing prompted an admonishment from Republican Sen. Lisa Murkowski of oil-rich Alaska that "we are all in this together" in trying to shut off the oil and find a safer way to exploit vital energy.

"This accident has reminded us of a cold reality, that the production of energy will never be without risk or environmental consequence," she said. Still, she said, "there will be no excuse" if operators are found to have violated the law.

Failure to plug the leak was intensifying impatience, from the contaminated Gulf waters to the White House.

"The president is frustrated with everything, the president is frustrated with everybody, in the sense that we still have an oil leak," said spokesman Robert Gibbs. "That includes us, that includes everybody that's involved with this."

A BP spokesman told The Associated Press an oil containment box known as a "top hat" was being brought to the site and undersea robots would position it over the gusher by Thursday. The new device is much smaller than one that failed over the weekend.

Ramifications from the environmental crisis spilled over into landmark climate change and energy legislation that is coming out Wednesday. The bill from Sens. John Kerry and Joe Lieberman proposes letting coastal states veto drilling projects off the shores of neighboring states if they can show the potential for harm.

The impact is being felt in the realm of regulation, too. Interior Secretary Ken Salazar proposed splitting his department's Minerals Management Service in two to make safety enforcement independent of the service's other main function — collecting billions in royalties from the drilling industry.

Senators sought assurances that BP PLC will pay what could amount to billions of dollars in economic and environmental damages. McKay repeatedly said his company would pay for cleanup costs and all "legitimate" claims for damages, and not try to limit itself to an existing federal limit of $75 million on such damages.

BP was the exploratory well's owner and overall operator, Transocean the rig's owner and Halliburton a subcontractor that was encasing the well pipe in cement before plugging it in anticipation of future production.

The explosion is thought to have begun with a surge of methane gas from deep within the well, and while the cause is still under early investigation, the testimony Tuesday provided some insight into what might have been involved.

Republican Sen. Jeff Sessions of Alabama grew frustrated grilling the executives on why engineers replaced a heavy "mud" compound in the well with much lighter sea water — thereby reducing downward pressure on the oil — when they were temporarily capping the site for future exploitation. He quoted an oil rig worker saying, "That's when the well came at us, basically."

"I'm not familiar with the individual procedure on that well," BP's McKay said.

Steven Newman, Transocean's president and CEO, and Halliburton executive Tim Probert repeatedly told Sessions they did not know how often sea water instead of the compound was used to seal Gulf wells.

"Well, you do this business, do you not?" the senator demanded. "You're under oath. I'm just asking you a simple question."

New Jersey Democrat Frank Lautenberg remarked in the day's other hearing: "The conclusion that I draw is that nobody assumes the responsibility."

McKay said that a key piece of safety equipment, the aptly named blowout preventer, had failed to work and made it clear it was owned by Transocean. "That was the fail safe in case of an accident," said McKay.

But Transocean's Newman said offshore production projects "begin and end with the operator, in this case BP" and that his company's drilling job was completed three days before the explosion and there's "no reason to believe" the blowout protector mechanics failed.

And Newman wanted senators to know Halliburton was in the process of pouring cement into the pipe to plug it but the final well cap had not yet been put in place. Halliburton's Probert said his company followed BP's drilling plan, federal regulations and industry practices.

If you wish to debate the merits of the oil industry then by all means, start a thread and debate them. I started this thread because many of us were concerned about a good friends well being. Suspecting that someone would jump all over the subject of oil, I made it quite clear from the start that this thread was not about the pros and cons of offshore drilling. Just so we're clear, you are more than entitled to an opinion on the subject but would highly recommend that you start a thread and get on with it. No doubt, you'll get some takers.

Have a nice day

If you wish to debate the merits of the oil industry then by all means, start a thread and debate them. I started this thread because many of us were concerned about a good friends well being. Suspecting that someone would jump all over the subject of oil, I made it quite clear from the start that this thread was not about the pros and cons of offshore drilling. Just so we're clear, you are more than entitled to an opinion on the subject but would highly recommend that you start a thread and get on with it. No doubt, you'll get some takers.

Have a nice day

Yes I guess I could have. I overlooked that first post and focused more on Beetleron's, BonzoLikeDrummer and The Rover's posts on the first page and that type of subject matter. Oh did I miss you quoting their posts and asking to start that type of thread elsewhere ? If so, I'm sorry.

And you too, have a nice day. It's just a good thing you're not on the Gulf Coast. :slapface:

Glad to be able to check in hope to have some island oics next month and Robert Pictures in July

moving on from 'oil business' and moving onto zep related business -

Al, from reading this thread I take it you were able to meet Mr. Plant and got pics with him! Please share, I would love to hear that story. I've got tickets to the Houston show in the end of July. You said you're going to the one in Mobile and hopefully you'll get to meet him again. God, to be able to meet Mr. Plant would be the thrill of a lifetime!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (I don't know how hubby would feel, but I don't care - LOL.) How did you do it? Do you have some inside connections or something that the average Joe just doesn't have, or were you able to meet him just on your good looks and winning personality? ;) And, being in the right place at the right time?

On another thread, someone said something about he sometimes does 'meet and greets' and that you can get tickets for this? How come I've never heard of this? I don't think that type of ticket is something that Ticketmaster carries - I checked. How do you find out about these things??????? Inquiring minds want to know!!!!!!!!!

Yes I guess I could have. I overlooked that first post and focused more on Beetleron's, BonzoLikeDrummer and The Rover's posts on the first page and that type of subject matter. Oh did I miss you quoting their posts and asking to start that type of thread elsewhere ? If so, I'm sorry.

And you too, have a nice day. It's just a good thing you're not on the Gulf Coast. slapface.gif

Fair enough peace.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Archived