Your favorite releases of 2010 so far

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Have only bought three 2010 releases so far and I've loved them all :)

Midlake - The Courage of Others

The Black Keys - Brothers

The Coral - Butterfly House

Will be checking out High Violet by The National next :D

• 4 weeks later...

Hear Ya - Indie Music Blog. And the bands in the list are indie.

Why pointing the obvious? :huh:

"Indie" is an indication of an artist being on an independent label, not how they sound. If Zeppelin were a new band today and issued their first record on an independent label would you write them off just because you've already made your mind up that you're not going to like anything associated with the title "indie"? Just curious.

"Indie" is an indication of an artist being on an independent label, not how they sound. If Zeppelin were a new band today and issued their first record on an independent label would you write them off just because you've already made your mind up that you're not going to like anything associated with the title "indie"? Just curious.

Some use the term "indie" to describe any music produced by artists working within the network of independent record labels and underground music venues that emerged in the United States and elsewhere in 1980's and 1990's.

Others understand indie rock as a distinct genre of rock music with a specific artistic aesthetic. from Wikipedia

We're on different sides here, and different opinions should not be a problem now.

I will not even try to see where are you going with this, if you like indie rock, go ahead and listen to it. I don't, and that was my point.

Some use the term "indie" to describe any music produced by artists working within the network of independent record labels and underground music venues that emerged in the United States and elsewhere in 1980's and 1990's.

Others understand indie rock as a distinct genre of rock music with a specific artistic aesthetic. from Wikipedia

We're on different sides here, and different opinions should not be a problem now.

I will not even try to see where are you going with this, if you like indie rock, go ahead and listen to it. I don't, and that was my point.

If you're getting your definition of "indie" from Wikipedia that would be your first problem. I suggest actually listening to the music first, then making a decision as to whether you like it or not. To use the broad brush stroke of not liking it just because of the use of the term "indie" isn't being fair to yourself or the artists involved.

Again, I ask you, if Zeppelin were a new band today and issued their first record on an independent label, would you immediately write them off just because of the use of the word "indie"?

If you look closely, you will see that your definition is in wikipedia too, bro. So let's say it is a reliable source.

If you think I build my taste upon something I have read, not listened, than you have another think coming.

My decision is I dislike it, and embrace it already. I will not change my opinion over your what-if scenarios.

If you look closely, you will see that your definition is in wikipedia too, bro. So let's say it is a reliable source.

If you think I build my taste upon something I have read, not listened, than you have another think coming.

My decision is I dislike it, and embrace it already. I will not change my opinion over your what-if scenarios.

You have brushed aside anything on that list because for some reason you have decided that you don't like anything with the term "indie" associated with it. If you would actually take the time to listen to the records on that list you would soon find they cross nearly all genres of music whether it be punk rock, rock n' roll, country, folk rock, etc. Therefore "indie" does not work as an all encompassing term to describe a genre. To brush them all aside just because of the use of the term "indie" is a sign of ignorance, something that runs rampant on this board.

It was no ignorance, be a bit more careful with the words you choose. World was always black and white for my eyes, this caused some major problems in my past life and I am sure aware of my defect here. So I don't want this to look like an assault of some kind just cause of my sharp temper.

Thank you Jahfin for your advices, I will try to find time and listen to some (though I may come out with same conclusion)

Thank you Jahfin for your advices, I will try to find time and listen to some (though I may come out with same conclusion)

Sounds like you still have your mind made up that you're not going to like anything on that list. So, I have to ask, what is it about the term "indie" that you dislike so much? It is no more a term to describe a genre of music than "Classic Rock" is.

First, to distinguish one thing from another: from the moment you started this conversation, we had very different views on the word indie. I see your point, smaller labels independent from the mainstream business. But even if we make a stop here, let's say there is a two-man band, one musician is barely covering the other ones lack of talent, fighting it's way up? I will not try listening to this. Maybe it is really good, maybe I will be surprised by the amount of sound that comes from only two of them, but I will rather spend my time listening to Pink Floyd. It is just a matter of my own choice.

Then again, me considering it a genre is another card. I don't like it's style, popularity, appearance, ...

It is hard (or impossible) to say why you like or dislike something. You just do.

I am answering no more questions for you, primarily cause we're ruining this thread.

First, to distinguish one thing from another: from the moment you started this conversation, we had very different views on the word indie. I see your point, smaller labels independent from the mainstream business. But even if we make a stop here, let's say there is a two-man band, one musician is barely covering the other ones lack of talent, fighting it's way up? I will not try listening to this. Maybe it is really good, maybe I will be surprised by the amount of sound that comes from only two of them, but I will rather spend my time listening to Pink Floyd. It is just a matter of my own choice.

Yes, it is your own choice but you are doing yourself (as well as the musicians) a disservice by being so close minded. An artist being "independent" doesn't mean they're untalented and/or not worthy of your attention.

It is hard (or impossible) to say why you like or dislike something. You just do.

Apparently you don't like independent artists' "style, popularity or appearance", at least according to this quote:

Then again, me considering it a genre is another card. I don't like it's style, popularity, appearance, ..

I am answering no more questions for you, primarily cause we're ruining this thread.

Speak for yourself, this is a message board and the topic is our favorite releases of 2010 and this has everything to do with that discussion because apparently you have something against "independent" artists. More and more musicians are choosing to go that route because it puts them in control over the record company weasels. For years artists have been screwed by record labels and the industry in general. Nowadays they want complete control and to be free of the major labels so they can call their own shots. Is that really such a bad thing?

Archived