What's the first live concert you attended?

How about Molly Hatchet?? Poughkeepsie Civic Center. It was a cloudy and sunny day...

all the way there. Went with my brother and our girlfriends.

I will never ever forget one dude jamming out so freaking hard it was just awesome to see.

And then I did...for the first time ever. Almost an actual headbang but no quite.(that wasn't until later in life).

it was pretty memorable 4me. Flirtin' With Disaster.

June 3, 1977 - Tampa Stadium.

The "Rain-out / Riot" show.

tampa77-stub.jpg

^^^^^^ From the main site / NOT my ticket stub (Iwish!) ^^^^^^

tampa77art1.jpg

Yeah, I was there and it was the first concert I had ever been to.

I was still 16, my parents wouldn't let me go to concerts, but when I heard Zeppelin was coming, I put my name on the waiting list at the record store in the mall to receive a call when tickets went on sale.

Of course, when the call came, I wasn't home, and when I got home my mom said, "somebody called you about some concert, but it doesn't matter because you're not going to any concert !"

Ended up not having money when the tickets went on sale, but a day or so before the show, a friend of mine (Jimmy Snodgrass - he died in a car wreck a couple years later - RIP Jimmy) couldn't go, so he let me have his ticket and I promised to pay him the $10 back ($10 to see Zeppelin :blink:).

I was probably the biggest Zep-head of all my friends at the time. I won Presence from the radio station soon after it came out, and I was absolutely addicted to it, but everyone else was way slower to catch on. At parties they'd be listening to II, IV, HOTH, etc. and soon as I got the chance I'd put Presence on and everyone would roll their eyes. At least by the time of the show, most of them had begun to like the most obvious tracks (NFBM, ALS) on Presence.

The crowd was massive, and we got there a couple hours early (no time was printed on the ticket, think about that - talk about being aware of their iconic status!), and just the background music was exciting.

Every so often, the would bump the volume up noticeably, as if slowly building the anticipation, and the crowd (definitely me included) would go ape-shit.

I remember a stage hand walking out with Jimmy's unmistakable double-neck guitar and palcing it on a stand, and the place absolutely exploded.

And I remember the exact thought in my head right then - I was like "Holy Shit, this is really happening, he's actually gonna play that fuckin' thing!"

I had been to see TSRTS at the Midnight Movie many times, but the reality of this struck me like a blow.

As it became obvious the concert would start any minute, the massive wall of clouds of a typical Florida thunderstorm began to form a hard line across the sky, moving across the open stadium like an eclipse.

It was already raining lightly by the opening song, and people broke out huge sheets of plastic everywhere. My friends and I were under one such sheet, each holding our part of the edge of the sheet of plastic with one hand and passing a bowl of goldbud back and forth with our free hands.

I'll never forget as the piercing opening strains of the 3rd song, Nobody's Fault But Mine began, our eyes flew wide open and we whirled to look at each other, and it was like "FUCK THIS!", and we threw the plastic sheet back and basically said "Fuck staying dry!"

By the end of NFBM, it was pretty obvious they couldn't go on, the rain was pouring down, and there was lightning.

It all went downhill from there, and the story has much more - getting out without getting hit in the head by flying bottles/debris, etc., - but that's the bottom line.

They said if you mailed in your ticket stub, they'd refund your $10, so I just gave the stub back to my friend Jimmy.

How I wish I had gone ahead and paid him the $10 just to be able to have that stub now!

And of course I never got another chance to see them.

But without a doubt, Led Zeppelin is indelibly marked upon my soul forever after, and will always hold the title of "my all-time favorite band".

tampa77-stub.jpg

tampa77art1.jpg

I was still 16, my parents wouldn't let me go to concerts, but when I heard Zeppelin was coming, I put my name on the waiting list at the record store in the mall to receive a call when tickets went on sale.

Of course, when the call came, I wasn't home, and when I got home my mom said, "somebody called you about some concert, but it doesn't matter because you're not going to any concert !"

Ended up not having money when the tickets went on sale, but a day or so before the show, a friend of mine (Jimmy Snodgrass - he died in a car wreck a couple years later - RIP Jimmy) couldn't go, so he let me have his ticket and I promised to pay him the $10 back ($10 to see Zeppelin :blink:).

I was probably the biggest Zep-head of all my friends at the time. I won Presence from the radio station soon after it came out, and I was absolutely addicted to it, but everyone else was way slower to catch on. At parties they'd be listening to II, IV, HOTH, etc. and soon as I got the chance I'd put Presence on and everyone would roll their eyes. At least by the time of the show, most of them had begun to like the most obvious tracks (NFBM, ALS) on Presence.

The crowd was massive, and we got there a couple hours early (no time was printed on the ticket, think about that - talk about being aware of their iconic status!), and just the background music was exciting.

Every so often, the would bump the volume up noticeably, as if slowly building the anticipation, and the crowd (definitely me included) would go ape-shit.

I remember a stage hand walking out with Jimmy's unmistakable double-neck guitar and palcing it on a stand, and the place absolutely exploded.

And I remember the exact thought in my head right then - I was like "Holy Shit, this is really happening, he's actually gonna play that fuckin' thing!"

I had been to see TSRTS at the Midnight Movie many times, but the reality of this struck me like a blow.

As it became obvious the concert would start any minute, the massive wall of clouds of a typical Florida thunderstorm began to form a hard line across the sky, moving across the open stadium like an eclipse.

It was already raining lightly by the opening song, and people broke out huge sheets of plastic everywhere. My friends and I were under one such sheet, each holding our part of the edge of the sheet of plastic with one hand and passing a bowl of goldbud back and forth with our free hands.

I'll never forget as the piercing opening strains of the 3rd song, Nobody's Fault But Mine began, our eyes flew wide open and we whirled to look at each other, and it was like "FUCK THIS!", and we threw the plastic sheet back and basically said "Fuck staying dry!"

By the end of NFBM, it was pretty obvious they couldn't go on, the rain was pouring down, and there was lightning.

It all went downhill from there, and the story has much more - getting out without getting hit in the head by flying bottles/debris, etc., - but that's the bottom line.

They said if you mailed in your ticket stub, they'd refund your $10, so I just gave the stub back to my friend Jimmy.

How I wish I had gone ahead and paid him the $10 just to be able to have that stub now!

But without a doubt, Led Zeppelin is indelibly marked upon my soul forever after, and will always hold the title of "my all-time favorite band".

Thats a great read :), at least you saw them for three songs or so, its an infamous gig in their history and you were there....nice one.

Not as straightforward as it may seem this one.The first gig I ever went to was at the Top Rank Suite,Swansea,I think it was '72.On came Hawkwind,I promptly threw up,I was only fourteen,and I was then thrown out by a particularly mean spirited bouncer.I did not actually see the band.However the first band I ever saw,and this is the one I count as my first real gig,was 10cc at a local polytechnic.They were great,that would have been winter'74.

tampa77-stub.jpg

tampa77art1.jpg

Hello TypeO !!

What a great story, sorry it ended so soon, but you saw them LIVE. Thanks for sharing the memory. :D

The very first concert I attended is hard to say as when I was young my parents took me to the Astrodome in Houston, TX to the rodeo and I saw several people-maiinly country acts- I saw Charley Pride several times and Crystal Gayle several times. But the one I consider my first real concert was in 1983 at the Sam Houston Coliseum and it was The Stray Cats with the Bus Boys opening up. This was the same venue Led Zeppelin played on their 1973 and 1975 tours. I was 14 years old when I attended the Stray Cats concert.

Metallica ...April 8 1989 Hamilton Ontario, Canada...opening act Queensryche.

Damaged Justice World Tour.. Copps Coliseum...the capacity there is about 20000..I think about 6500 or so were there. Copps is a hockey arena so we were all seated on the floor. I was 20 at the time. I went with two of my friends. We arrived about 30 mins early so we were just sitting in our seats talking. At the time it was the largest gathering of people I'd ever been around and I couldn't believe how loud it was just from everyone talking.

Obviously I was in for a shock when the show actually started. It was LOUD...whoever was on the board really liked bass. The one cool part of the show was when the lighting rig "fell apart" during "...And Justice For All" and was just swinging back and forth...and of course the pyro during "One". As the tour progressed they dropped a few of the songs from "Justice" so I got to hear "Eye of The Beholder" etc...

Setlist:

- Ecstacy of Gold

- Blackened

- For Whom the Bell Tolls

- Welcome home (Sanitarium)

- The Four Horsemen

- Harvester of Sorrow

- Eye of the Beholder

- Bass solo

- To Live Is To Die (jam)

- Master of Puppets

- One

- Seek & Destroy

- ... And Justice For All

- Creeping Death

- Fade to Black

- Guitar solo

- Battery

- Run to the Hills / Helpless (jam)

- Last Caress

- Am I Evil?

- Whiplash

Thats a great read :), at least you saw them for three songs or so, its an infamous gig in their history and you were there....nice one.

^^Agree with leddy, I loved reading your story. They may have only played for 20 minutes, but it sounds like it was a great experience. :D

Type-O - dude, that was awesome! Hearing bout that experience from 33 years ago just rocks right out!!!

Hello TypeO !!

What a great story, sorry it ended so soon, but you saw them LIVE. Thanks for sharing the memory. :D

Ha. Thanks guys.

Yeah, no regrets about the aborted show, that's 3 more songs than a lot of people ever got to see, so I definitely count myself among the fortunate to have seen the real deal live.

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed at the time, though - I remember anticipating Achilles' Last Stand - I just couldn't even imagine how intense it was going to be live!

It remains my absolute favorite Zep tune.

I think the excitement of it all is what I remember most vividly.

Yes at the LA Forum, March of '74. 17 yrs old. My second concert was the California Jam, a month later. Sabbath & Purple back-to-back!

Good lordy that can't really get much better for ya first gigs can it B) apart form old "Reggie" and his 1972 Austraia Zep gig..........Git lol :).

There are some good shows being mentioned in this thread.

Yes at the LA Forum, March of '74. 17 yrs old. My second concert was the California Jam, a month later. Sabbath & Purple back-to-back!

Hey Badgeholder, we could of been neighbors in that sea of humanity at the Cal Jam I.

I remembered last night that before the Cal Jam, I saw the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band at my high school gym. Don't remember what the date was though. My have been 72 or 73.

How ironic is this? I'm pretty sure it was the June 3rd 1977 Led Zeppelin Tampa Stadium event. I never think of that as my first show....but yeah, 15 years old with a group of girlfriends unsupervised. :)

The Eagles and Elton John were at the stadium around that time period as well, but I'm pretty sure it was Zep. Of course the Zeppelin show was

a rained out event after 3 songs......so maybe I shouldn't count it? Which my next pick would be the Eagles? It's a great question. It's strange

because I remember all the concerts pretty well, but the dates are harder! I think that's probably because back then everybody was so happy and high. :D

Ahh, the stuff we did as kids, embarassing now. :rolleyes:..............missy

Wow, I totally missed this the first time around!

Awesome, we were both there!

I used to live in Orlando.

I'm guessing you saw a lot of shows at Lakeland Civic Center as well?

Hey Badgeholder, we could of been neighbors in that sea of humanity at the Cal Jam I.

I remembered last night that before the Cal Jam, I saw the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band at my high school gym. Don't remember what the date was though. My have been 72 or 73.

I might have stepped on your sandwich! sorry! :D

You have just overtaken Reggie as being the Git on here :), pretty much the Albert Hall type set ?? when you saw em ??

Yep, pretty much. Great night , great audience, great memories but then, I remember that the show was almost 41yrs ago and suddenly, I start to feel frickin...OLD :D

Wow, I totally missed this the first time around!

Awesome, we were both there!

I used to live in Orlando.

I'm guessing you saw a lot of shows at Lakeland Civic Center as well?

Hi neighbor, :wave:

Hey, what are the odds of being at the same shows? Pretty Neat-o. Which one did we both attend? Was it the Zeppelin show in 77?

And I went to some GREAT concerts at the Lakeland Civic Center. The two I can remember most are Yes and Heart. Were you at either of those? Lakeland Center was great for shows. Much better than Tampa Stadium or Curtis Hixon Hall for acoustics and seating too.

...............:) missy

Archived