Robert Plant to write original material with Band of Joy

Jahfin

From The Guardian:

Former Led Zeppelin singer to lead band away from cover versions and begin working on own songs

Sean Michaels

guardian.co.uk

Tuesday 25 January 2011

Robert-Plant-and-the-Band-007.jpg

Ode to Joy ... Robert Plant performing in Toronto, Canada earlier this month. Photograph: George Pimentel/WireImage

After years of playing covers, Robert Plant is to begin writing original songs with the Band of Joy. Following the group's recent album, which included songs by Richard Thompson, Low and Townes Van Zandt, Band of Joy "have to write" their own tunes, Plant said in a new interview.

"It's all very well celebrating other people's songwriting," the singer told the Pulse of Radio (via Blabbermouth), "and I know there are other artists who have had an entire career [playing covers] – whether it be Elvis or Sinatra, or a lot of the country artists who never write. But we've got to be heading that way soon."

Plant first formed the Band of Joy in the late-60s, before co-founding Led Zeppelin. Although members of the group released records in 1978 and 1983, Plant had already quit by that point; his first release under the Band of Joy name was last year. Hailed as a clean break from both Led Zeppelin and Plant's collaboration with Alison Krauss, the LP consisted solely of covers, including traditionals. Plant's most recent original material appeared on 2005's Mighty Rearranger album.

Despite Plant's writing plans, the Band of Joy's recent tour dates have featured new covers of songs including Led Zeppelin's Ramble On and Tangerine, and Lightnin' Hopkins's Central Two-o-Nine. The group's current lineup includes Patty Griffin, Byron House, Marco Giovino and co-producer Buddy Miller.

• 2 weeks later...

This is really good news. Robert Plant is a gifted lyricist. I don't know how the writing credits break down between Jimmy Page and Robert Plant, but he was a collaborator on what, --most all of Zeppelin's body of work?

I checked out his website and couldn't believe all the lyrics he's penned since Led Zeppelin.

He does seem to do a lot of collaboration, but there's nothing wrong with that.

The Band of Joy has a lot of experience and talent among the players, I'm sure.

Here's hoping for some some new classics (which they will no doubt become) written by Mr. Plant. :)........................missy

Apparently he hung around town (Raleigh) last night and is headed to Nashville soon to work with Jack White. That's the word around town anyway. We'll have to see if it plays out. Makes sense though, especially given Plant's love for Wanda Jackson and that White has recently worked with her (to great effect I might add).

Apparently he hung around town (Raleigh) last night and is headed to Nashville soon to work with Jack White. That's the word around town anyway.

If true, this could prove to be very interesting !

Apparently he hung around town (Raleigh) last night and is headed to Nashville soon to work with Jack White. That's the word around town anyway. We'll have to see if it plays out. Makes sense though, especially given Plant's love for Wanda Jackson and that White has recently worked with her (to great effect I might add).

That would make sense as well. Just take a look at the front page of the below site:

http://www.whitestripes.com/

That would make sense as well. Just take a look at the front page of the below site:

http://www.whitestripes.com/

Old news. Then again, as is pointed out in the thread below, The White Stripes haven't been active for quite some time now so their dissolution doesn't really come as that big of a surprise.

http://forums.ledzeppelin.com/index.php?/topic/15223-the-white-stripes-are-no-more/

Old news. Then again, as is pointed out in the thread below, The White Stripes haven't been active for quite some time now so their dissolution doesn't really come as that big of a surprise.

http://forums.ledzeppelin.com/index.php?/topic/15223-the-white-stripes-are-no-more/

I guess it is old news, but this is just official now.

I'm meant the thread announcing the split up of the White Stripes was posted two days ago.

Must of missed it on the "Bands" thread. Not on there as much as the Zep ones. No surprise on that as I figured it was just an announcement to be made.

Robert and Jack, could be a great combo if your info is verified. Is it from a good source?

Just waiting for those on this site to start the other rumors. I think you'll know where they'll be going with this. Two guys connected in a movie, one is connected with with him in a movie and and the other with him in a certain band. The threads will happen! Pretty much a guarantee on that!

Archived