JIMMY PAGE TO VISIT JAPAN

The devastation and loss of life hasn't even been told or seen for the most part. The scope of this will be known in the coming days as most areas are inaccessible, due to all the blocked roads and the inability of rescue efforts to get there. Most of this is around the Sendai area and north. The farther north, the worse it gets. One town has 9,500 people missing, which is about half of their residents. And throw in the nuclear equation on this...who knows how bad this can really get?

Thanks for the photo Steve. I won't forget that one.

When I first saw the tsunami on the TV I said to my landlord, there'll be at least 10,000 dead. I think I've underguessed.

Now's a good time to plan a benefit Jimmy. Practice up those chops !

What more benevolent way to help the Japanese ?

Maybe he should remain relatively close to the airport when he travels to Japan, and stay in areas where the damage is less profound. When he visits locations further from the airport, he should choose spots that were not hit as hard as the north, perhaps the less congested areas of Tokyo, Kyoto and the central area of the Kansai, avoiding coastal areas and moving toward higher ground, except the area around the Shinmoe Dake volcano to the south, which blew up today.

As I scan through the recent videos of Narita International Airport during the earthquake, it appears that activities at the airport went smoothly enough considering the circumstances. At first glance, the airport itself remained solid and sturdy, and the scenes were mainly calm and orderly, with people being mostly quietly observant and polite. Some were understandably alarmed and nervous, which you could hear in the tone of their voices, but there was an apparent effort to respond properly to the situation, directing people to areas of safety, handing out blankets and making food available at least to some travellers.

If it is true that the airport was built to standards for a 7.7 earthquake, this 8.9 event may have left a few cracks in the construction and weakened the structure for the future events that predictably will occur. Engineers may determine at some point that repairs or increased standards could be needed at Narita Airport.

But a lot of devastation has happened in the areas beyond the airport that were more severely impacted in Japan during this event, with a significant death toll, particularly in the northern coastal areas closest to the epicenter of the quake. Search and rescue operations in those areas are continuing. It's safer to avoid the coastal areas and reduce the risk of being caught in any possible aftershocks that could result in additional tsunami action. He does not want to end up like the 60 year old man who was dragged nine miles out to sea clinging to the roof of his house for two days before he was miraculously rescued.

And he should stay away from the nuclear plants and the southern area around Shinmoe Dake volcano, which exploded today, sending hot ash and rocks more than 6,000 feet up into the sky, (source, BBC). Japan is unusually seismically active during this period, and he should put safety first.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s64uzPry_t0

UPDATE 1-Radiation fears spark panic buying, evacuations in Tokyo

in.reuters.com

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thousands unable to change flights from Japan

news.com.au

Japanese earthquake: Airlines warn travellers to expect delays and cancellations

Published Date: 13 March 2011

news.scotsman.com

The Virgin Atlantic London to Narita flight was scheduled to take off at 1pm today, although the airline said customers might face cancellations and said they should check its website before they travel to the airport.

British Airways flights from Tokyo Narita and Haneda airports were cancelled yesterday, but the airline said its routes to and from the two airports were scheduled to continue unaffected today.

A spokeswoman for the airline said the situation was being closely monitored and could change.

Japan travel still crippled following quake

tucsoncitizen.com

Though operations at Tokyo’s Narita and Haneda airports returned to normal Saturday, the country’s transport minister reported 400 canceled flights into and out of the country, due to difficulties with connecting flights to airports in quake-hit areas and interruptions of ground transport to Tokyo.

It may be possible to visit if you go along with the journalists who are covering the search and rescue mission, or the people from Bangladesh who are relocating their embassy to the southern part of Japan, or if you know someone in the military.

But with ground transportation limited, low levels of nuclear radiation, and store shelves bare in Tokyo (where your international flight would most likely land), the trip to Nagasaki would be an adventure for even a hardy soul, and you should not expect it to be a picnic. You would need to stay calm, healthy and happy in the midst of danger and suffering. You would need a plan for dealing with the possibility of radiation sickness, dehydration, cold or hunger. Authorities in Japan are rationing gasoline, and there are long lines to fuel vehicles where civilians wait for hours. If the airport has a scheduled power outage, that could slow your trip, and you would need to be flexible and patient; same for ground transportation and accommodations.

Presently the emphasis in Japan is on the need to evacuate people to safety. If you decide to go on that trip, you must do it with those conditions in mind, which explains why many government embassies have advised against non-essential travel. Mother nature really upstaged Jimmy Page on this event. It's hard to compete with a 9.0 earthquake and a 30 foot tsunami.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bangladesh to evacuate Tokyo embassy to Hiroshima or Nagasaki

monstersandcritics.com

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[As of March 15th 09:00]

[About Terminal Buildings]It is confirmed that Terminal and Runways are safe. It is expected that scheduled power outage will not operate at least today.

[About Flights]You can see flight infomation at Flights today. For more infomation, please directly contact airlines.

[About Public Transportation]Scheduled power outage affects the operation of railways and buses.

*Narita Express (N'EX) and Airport Narita (Rapid Service) For more infomation, please directly contact railway company.

*Keisei Main Line City Liner are also not in service. For more infomation, please directly contact railway company.

*Narita SKY ACCESS Line Sky Liner are also not in service. For more infomation, please directly contact railway company.

*Airport Limousine Bus They are in service, but it is expected that the operation will be changed.

*High waysMetropolitan Expressway (Shutoko) from Kasai to Sinkiba is closed. For more information, please check the information provided by each company.

[About Brownout]We carry on trying to save on electricity at Terminal.Some lights are turned off and some elevator are stopped.Please understand on this matter.

[inquiries]Please note that we may require some time to respond to certain inquiries. We are very sorry for the inconvenience.

narita-airport.jp

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

TOKYO - Japan raced to avert a catastrophe after fire broke out on Wednesday at a nuclear plant that has sent low levels of radiation wafting into Tokyo, prompting some people to flee the capital and triggering growing international alarm.

vancouversun.com

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And if anyone should happen to need a flight out of northern Japan, you may want to check connecting flights at Niigata departing for Seoul. Incheon Airport in Seoul has Delta flights that depart for San Francisco and Vancouver. Continental had a flight connecting to New Jersey via Guam. That's if you're lucky, as the airport has had some substantial crowds and not everyone could get the flight they needed. Some people were reported to have left Niigata to fly out of Tokyo.

SHANGHAI, March 16 (Xinhua) -- Chinese airline companies put on additional flights to Japan Wednesday in the wake of the government's decision to evacuate citizens from areas worst hit by last week's earthquake and tsunami and affected by nuclear leakages.China Eastern Airlines based in Shanghai will send an additional passenger flight, Airbus 340-300, Wednesday to Niigata Airport, where about 1,500 Chinese nationals are waiting to return to China.

China Eastern has four flights between Shanghai and Niigata every week.

xinhuanet.com

I too wonder if there will be some kind of charitable response by the music community. Japan has been such an enthusiastic market (for want of a better word) for rock and pop music. It's kind of unique among Asian countries in that respect, isn't it?

Anyway, we mustn't forget that New Zealand recenty suffered through a deadly earthquake as well. It's going to take more than a huge rock concert to heal from these disasters, but it could be a help.

Mother nature really upstaged Jimmy Page on this event. It's hard to compete with a 9.0 earthquake and a 30 foot tsunami.

I try not to get overly emotional in life yet knowing how much the Japanese love Jimmy but won't get to see him now...it's sorrow so deep.

I try not to get overly emotional in life yet knowing how much the Japanese love Jimmy but won't get to see him now...it's sorrow so deep.

That's the least of the Japanese people's worries at the moment, especially those who have lost everything including their families.

Try not to worry about it. There's a reason for everything. He should continue to look for an opportunity and monitor the areas where the Japanese people are being evacuated. If anyone knows where it will be possible to provide entertainment for the Japanese now, it will be those who are already providing assistance.

That's the least of the Japanese people's worries at the moment, especially those who have lost everything including their families.

Jimmy's visit to Japan was to have coincided with cherry blossom season. Sakura Symbolism was to be overt.

To the Japanese, these delicate and beautiful flowers represent the transience and fragility of existence that can be ended in a moment. The cherry blossoms in any given area may only bloom for, at most, two weeks of the year, and the petals are often blown away by the wind or damaged by the rain. Therefore, by nature, they capture the intense beauty but fleeting nature of life, and it is not for nothing that the samurai chose them as their emblem (remembering that their honour code championed the ideal of dying young and strong rather than old and weak).

Jimmy's visit to Japan was to have coincided with cherry blossom season. Sakura Symbolism was to be overt.

To the Japanese, these delicate and beautiful flowers represent the transience and fragility of existence that can be ended in a moment. The cherry blossoms in any given area may only bloom for, at most, two weeks of the year, and the petals are often blown away by the wind or damaged by the rain. Therefore, by nature, they capture the intense beauty but fleeting nature of life, and it is not for nothing that the samurai chose them as their emblem (remembering that their honour code championed the ideal of dying young and strong rather than old and weak).

Yet someone had other plans.

Requiem for all catastrophe victims in Japan. 

They were eagerly awaited for Sakura, which blooms at the end of March in the place. We mourn the loss of the lives of them. May they rest in peace.

Accompany myself

I translated Japanese into English so that it might be easy to understand.

I believe that I can meet you again someday at this same place.

I will beckon you, waving my hand with shout of joy from the top of hill at a cherry tree lined street.

No matter the pain you feel, you are always smiling at me.

When I feel discouraged, you give me courage (because you are my true friend)

The time has been coming, we can hear the familiar song in the past when a mist hung all over the spring field.

Skura,sakura... blossoms are at their best.

I know that as just as the life of a cherry blossom is short, our lives too, are short.

The time came. I must bid farewell my my dear friend.

Nothing is certain in this world...

However, keep your nice smile as usual.

I would like to tell you the truth.

It is the warm message of me that pray for your future happiness and a success.

It seems the urban scenery of changing expels us from there.

Sakura, sakura, a flower be falling are just beautiful and shines forever...

I have to say good bye to my dear friend.

Let's surely to meet again at this very place....

At this Sakura(cherry) tree lined street!!

I give you my word!.............

Though I've never been, it is very beautiful during the Cherry Blossom Festival.

I'm sure he'll get to visit as soon as it is safe and accessible for everyone.

The only question is when will that eventuate?

The Bushido code, where loyalty and obedience is unquestioned along with honour before life has not been practised in a long, long time, however, the Cherry Blossoms have endured and will no doubt bloom again and have greater significance than ever before.

Though I've never been, it is very beautiful during the Cherry Blossom Festival.

I'm sure he'll get to visit as soon as it is safe and accessible for everyone.

The only question is when will that eventuate?

The Bushido code, where loyalty and obedience is unquestioned along with honour before life has not been practised in a long, long time, however, the Cherry Blossoms have endured and will no doubt bloom again and have greater significance than ever before.

"Believe by Hattie Byrd, it will improve soon, things will get better today, I am here for you," fourth grader Hattie Byrd said as she read her haiku.

"Faith by Anne-Claire Jones. I have faith in you, I have faith that you will win, I will pray for you," Jones said, also reading her haiku.

These haiku's are a simple way for some students at Natcher Elementary to let Japanese classmates know they care.

wbko.com

Sakura Symbolism was to be overt.

Utsukashi! This is an important video because it reminds us of nature's beautiful side as opposed to the one she's showing us now. Not all in Nippon is damaged. Hope all is well!!!

It is with the deepest regret that I have decided to cancel my impending visit to Japan.

I have not taken this decision at all lightly. My heartfelt thoughts and prayers are with the Japanese people. I trust that all your tribulations will soon be resolved.

My sincere apologies to the organisers of the Swinging London Exhibition and the people of Nagasaki.

I hope to see you all at the earliest opportunity.

With all my best wishes,

Jimmy Page

• 1 month later...

Hello. This is Jimmy Page. Sorry we cannot be there. But I hope you are enjoying the Swinging London 50's-60's exhibition. I think it is a fascinating exhibition of the spirit and the energy of the 50's and 60's. By the way, this is the first time my costumes and guitars have been exhibited anywhere in the world. Thank you.

Link to exhibit on Nagasaki Prefectural Art Museum site (Japanese): http://www.nagasaki-museum.jp/whats_new/kikaku/jimmy_voice.html

Hello. This is Jimmy Page. Sorry we cannot be there. But I hope you are enjoying the Swinging London 50's-60's exhibition. I think it is a fascinating exhibition of the spirit and the energy of the 50's and 60's. By the way, this is the first time my costumes and guitars have been exhibited anywhere in the world. Thank you.

Link to exhibit on Nagasaki Prefectural Art Museum site (Japanese): http://www.nagasaki-museum.jp/whats_new/kikaku/jimmy_voice.html

Visit the link provided by Steve, and if you click on the (Japanese) hyperlink just under the 50's and 60's, you can hear Jimmy speak the words quoted above- in his own voice.

Thanks Steve. I had a feeling JP would cancel due to the catastrophe the people of Japan are recovering from and unfortunately will continue to do so for many years. My heart and blessings go out to the people of Japan.

Thanks Steve. I had a feeling JP would cancel due to the catastrophe the people of Japan are recovering from and unfortunately will continue to do so for many years. My heart and blessings go out to the people of Japan.

I was in the Nishi-Shinjuku bootleg district this weekend talking to some of the proprieters he had visited the last time he was in Japan. He's still very much a legend and very much loved over here. Three bands dominate sales figures within the district: Led Zeppelin, The Rolling Stones and Eric Clapton.

Archived