"New" car for my son

TypeO

So he just turned 17, I'm not loaded, so I decided about $3000 was my limit.

Even then, I'm taking out a loan.

So, one of the very first listings I found on Craigslist?

1969 Plymouth Fury III coupe.

$3000

ya'rly

I Googled and found a '69 that was found in a barn, rusted-out, not working, for $4000.

Most in decent condition were $6,000 - $7,000 on up to $19,000 for show-quality restorations.

I think this is what is known as a good deal.

Seriously, if I spent $3000 at a used-car lot, I'd end up with a '99 Sunfire with 160,000 miles.

This is already worth more than I'm paying for it, and every year it gets more valuable.

Yes, I know.

Assuming my 17 year-old son doesn't tear it up/wreck it.

But I'm an optimist.

He was chosen Brass Lieutenant for the band, and one of his best friends (who also writes music) made Band Captain.

The Band Captain already has a cherry 1971 Monte Carlo, un-customized.

They'll make quite a pair.

lulz.

IMG_0941.jpg

IMG_0932.jpg

IMG_0931a.jpg

IMG_0930.jpg

IMG_0933a.jpg

IMG_0934.jpg

Excelenti Typeo, in England that would be a classic, the front seat is like a coach its so roomy, i hope the boy appreciates it and i can see him having some good times in it, well done.

Kind Regards, Danny

I'm a Mopar girl (even though I have never owned a Plymouth or Dodge and I drive a Honda), and I like muscle cars, so that's a pretty sweet deal. It looks great.

What does he think of it? Personally, I'd be a little worried about parking it because it's so big, but I'm sure he'll get used to it!

The body and interior look great ! Even if it ends up needing some work on the engine.. even the tranny...can't see how you can go wrong !

I'm a Mopar girl (even though I have never owned a Plymouth or Dodge and I drive a Honda), and I like muscle cars, so that's a pretty sweet deal. It looks great.

Mopar girl Manders? I always had you pegged as a Cleveland...... :P

Mopar girl Manders? I always had you pegged as a Cleveland...... :P

Ha!

Really--we go to car shows all the time. I didn't know that you didn't know that!

The BF has been really thinking about a new Challenger RT in Plum Crazy since we can't find an old one that won't need restoration (that we can afford)...

Ha!

Really--we go to car shows all the time. I didn't know that you didn't know that!

The BF has been really thinking about a new Challenger RT in Plum Crazy since we can't find an old one that won't need restoration (that we can afford)...

My fantasy is an old 'Cuda.

Or, if I hit the lottery, I'm going to this guy's house about 3 miles from my house and start peeling off $100 bills until he folds.

Yeah, I'd have to start around $10,000 and see how long he'd hold out.

d142dc8c.jpg

25e3ad67.jpg

fc24e0d0.jpg

It looks pretty clean, but with the price of gas these days I woulda passed and got him an old GEO.

B)

It was a consideration, but I figure he'll gain an appreciation for the cost of driving, and become a little more discriminating in his choices of where and how often he drives.

My fantasy is an old 'Cuda.

Or, if I hit the lottery, I'm going to this guy's house about 3 miles from my house and start peeling off $100 bills until he folds.

Yeah, I'd have to start around $10,000 and see how long he'd hold out.

d142dc8c.jpg

25e3ad67.jpg

fc24e0d0.jpg

That IS an old 'Cuda, but isn't that just a Barracuda? It's on the Vega chasis, (actually, it's a Valiant, I had to look it up) My boyfriend wants a 'Cuda or a Challenger, but since they're so rare without doing the restorations, I doubt we'll ever have one. We've always got too many projects going on, etc. with vehicles (which is why I bought a new Honda because I got sick of begging for mechanical work to be done on the '97 one, LOL). The 'Cuda he wants is third generation. One of the motor shows we went to this past spring had a 70 'Cuda that had been restored by a couple from BC, and I thought Dave was going to ask them if he could go home with them, LOL.

I love Plum Crazy. Purple is my favorite color. I don't say it really is, but somehow, I always choose purple over anything else.

There are a few Barracudas/'Cudas in town, but you really have to know where to look. They're not for sale either, unless you've won the lottery, I'm sure. ;)

One really cool car we saw recently was a 70 (?) Road Runner. It was restored by a local couple, and they had painted it the 2010 Challenger Plum Crazy and put a different color over the top to make the Plum Crazy a little unique. THEN they did the vinyl with embroidered Road Runners on the seats! I have the pictures on my phone, so if anyone's interested, I can probably upload them.

The local chapter of the Make-A-Wish Foundation does a raffle each year for a car. The 2011 car was a Stingray that was totally gawdy, so I'm a little glad our tickets weren't winners. For 2012, they have a 70 Goat. Ohh yeah...

It looks pretty clean, but with the price of gas these days I woulda passed and got him an old GEO.

B)

My boyfriend drives a 1991 Ford Festiva to and from work, and he hates it, but it gets 43 mpg in the city. I hate the car--it is a roller skate with no heater, no a/c, and ripped-up seats. ;)

B)

My boyfriend drives a 1991 Ford Festiva to and from work, and he hates it, but it gets 43 mpg in the city. I hate the car--it is a roller skate with no heater, no a/c, and ripped-up seats. ;)

That IS an old 'Cuda, but isn't that just a Barracuda?

You're correct, I wasn't real clear in my remark.

The image below is the 'Cuda, which is my fantasy car.

plymouth_hemi_cuda-side2.jpg

The Barracuda I posted pictures of is a local car I'd also love to have, and my comments ever since I saw it the first time (and every time I drive by it) was if I hit the lottery... yada, yada, yada.

So yeah, I know the difference between them, I just wasn't as clear in my comment as I meant to be.

:slapface:

TypeO, I hope that Plymouth spent its life as a California car...if it's from the east or midwest, I'd be worried about rust and wear from those harsh winters and salt on the roads.

You mean-assed cheapskate, you shoulda got him a 67 Mustang convertible.

I feel horrible, lulz.

My first car was a banana-yellow '73 Lemans, and not a cool sporty one, either.

Carb was screwed up and got about 11 mpg tops.

Transmission blew after only about 3 or 4 months.

TypeO, I hope that Plymouth spent its life as a California car...if it's from the east or midwest, I'd be worried about rust and wear from those harsh winters and salt on the roads.

There's some rust in the trunk, but it looks like about a $150 or so fix (according to a good friend who helps me with mechanics, and spent the day here today getting it in shape).

Apparently just drill out the spot-welds on the rusted-out trunk plate and remove it.

A replacement is just over $100 or so, and the idea being a welding shop won't hit you too hard if you've done all the prep and have the replacement ready to be welded into place.

It's not a top priority yet, but more of a to-do item.

You're correct, I wasn't real clear in my remark.

The image below is the 'Cuda, which is my fantasy car.

plymouth_hemi_cuda-side2.jpg

The Barracuda I posted pictures of is a local car I'd also love to have, and my comments ever since I saw it the first time (and every time I drive by it) was if I hit the lottery... yada, yada, yada.

So yeah, I know the difference between them, I just wasn't as clear in my comment as I meant to be.

:slapface:

That's what we'd get if we won the lottery. ;)

Archived